IGNORED

Cellphones

Guest Enter a new display name

funny how some people prefer an impersonal form of communication (SMS, IM) rather than a more personal and inflected tonality form (voice call, video call).

watmm.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest AcrossCanyons

funny how some people prefer an impersonal form of communication (SMS, IM) rather than a more personal and inflected tonality form (voice call, video call).

watmm.

I don't like talking over the phone because it feels so fake and impersonal, even with the closest people to me who I never have trouble talking to. I'm sure it's the same for others.

I don't have a cell phone, and am constantly asked why/how do I do it...It's so shocking to people.

I don't have one because 1.)I don't need another bill, 2.)I don't like what it does to some people (just look around next time you go out to eat or something, at the myriad of people staring at their phones instead of talking to the person next to them.)

I'm no luddite, I love tech, and cells have their uses (fantastic for organizing meet-ups on the fly,) and of course emergencies. I just don't understand how people want/feel the need to be tied down to a device.

That's all before the possibilities of them having a hand in say, cancer, or bees dissapearing.

watmm.

I don't like talking over the phone because it feels so fake and impersonal, even with the closest people to me who I never have trouble talking to. I'm sure it's the same for others.

it's a pretty strange way to communicate - you get to hear someone's voice, but you miss out on all the facial expressions and other body language, which (i think) makes the phone-call a sort of awkward dance of pauses for a lot of people. i don't mind it that much, but i can understand why some people prefer either face to face or purely written communication. at least with the latter, there's more time to carefully say what you mean, and with the former, you have all the perks of body language to help out the conversation...

watmm.

but surely textual based messages are even more impersonal and fake, and have the added deficiency of there being a vagueness of intonation and meaning inferred in the words?

the hierarchy of conversation for me goes:

1. face-to-face

2. voice conversation

3. text based

Guest AcrossCanyons

watmm.

but surely textual based messages are even more impersonal and fake, and have the added deficiency of there being a vagueness of intonation and meaning inferred in the words?

1. face-to-face

2. voice conversation

3. text based

you're right, but luke vila has it down I think. with text based you can take your time and think what you would like to say. with voice chat w/ no visuals to work off and it's just the awkward tango of waiting for one man to finish before the next can speak. it's robot when it should be human. text based chat is expected to be that way so it feels more natural.

Guest AcrossCanyons

It's not healthy to read that much into a small thing like text messages.

is that in reply to me? :mellow:

I kind of miss the days when people would stare at each other's shoes on the train instead of their cell phones.

watmm.

1. face-to-face

2. voice conversation

3. text based

you're right, but luke vila has it down I think. with text based you can take your time and think what you would like to say. with voice chat w/ no visuals to work off and it's just the awkward tango of waiting for one man to finish before the next can speak. it's robot when it should be human. text based chat is expected to be that way so it feels more natural.

ah i can understand that.

I don't really use my phone too much however, I always have it sort of near.

I hate when people use a mobile whilst we're engaged in a conversation. I work in a cafe and we always have people come in to order whilst they're talking on a mobile, I'd understand if they picked it up said :"Hold on I'll call you back in a minute" or apologised and said it was important but most of the time they're going on about stuff like: "Yeah, well Stacey said he dumped her cause she's fat but....." I find it so rude.

I really hate it when people play with their phone out at dinner, total lack of respect.

Sorry watmm, I just had to get that out there.

I really hate it when people play with their phone out at dinner, total lack of respect.

Yes! Such an idiot guy thing to do (in my experience).

I have no problem owning one or having phone conversations. What I hate is other people's cellphones.

I have lots of racist views about cellphone use because I so often ride the train uptown from the southside of Chicago. I just want to grab some of these people's phones, hit them in the head with them, throw the phone on the ground, stomp it to pieces and duct tape their mouths.

But ultimately, people are free to act that way in public and I can't legally expect them to abide by my sense of courtesy and decency ... even though I'm right.

Also, the ringtones people pick are always just horrible.

exactly. face-to-face is the best way to communicate, but i'll take texting over awkward phone conversations any day.

however, texting can get creepy too. what i find strange is that a conversation never has to end now. you can say goodbye to someone and leave their house, and then they remember something and text it to you a minute later. it's like you never left. sometimes it really bothers me that a goodbye has lost its finality.

everywhere i go people are staring into their phones. Its very strange to me.

what are you staring at them for? got nothing better to look at? perhaps you need a new phone.

I have no problem owning one or having phone conversations. What I hate is other people's cellphones.

But ultimately, people are free to act that way in public and I can't legally expect them to abide by my sense of courtesy and decency ... even though I'm right.

Also, the ringtones people pick are always just horrible.

boom. my thoughts exactly.

cell phone drivers are one of my biggest pet peeves as well.

I don't mind cellphones that much, but conference calls are a pain in the ass. Especially when there's some kind of 'functionality' which gives all the bandwidth to the channel which has the most sound. Sound in the sense of someone speaking - what you would expect - and in the sense of background noise. Worst case scenario being: a group of people listening to some background noise while the person who is actually surrounded by the real background noise hasn't got actually that much to say.

Happened to me once. I had to be in a call, and thought, why not behind a desk where all my other colleagues are as well, but with some in-ear plugs so I wouldn't notice the background noise. Well, the phone did.

Without the background noise it still sucks, btw. Lots of times there's someone speaking. And when someone's speaking there's no bandwidth for sound to go back. So the person is just blabbing in space without any input on when to stop.

Personally, in one-on-one conversations I've got almost as much information from voice as to face-to-face conversations. Intonation and those non-verbals give almost as much information if not more. In face-to-face I tend to be distracted a bit faster. (always looking for some visual stimulation ;p)

Other than that: there's an invention called VOICE-MAIL. Use it.

Another HUGE pet peeve: calls where you hear yourself back with a slight delay. Those are claustrophobic mindfucks!

Another HUGE pet peeve: calls where you hear yourself back with a slight delay. Those are claustrophobic mindfucks!

whenever this happenes I switch to my stadium voice and say either "now batting, numba twooo Derek Jetah.

numba twooo"

or

"hello? hello? echo. echo.

now batting...manny mota. mota."

then I hang up and call back.

whenever this happenes I switch to my stadium voice and say either "now batting, numba twooo Derek Jetah.

numba twooo"

or

"hello? hello? echo. echo.

now batting...manny mota. mota."

then I hang up and call back.

please record this and add the appropriate reverb

<3

Guest AcrossCanyons

I'm surprised there hasn't been any "sent via Tapatalk" or "sent from iPhone 27000" messages yet.

Archived