IGNORED

Influx of bad artist names

eh Speedy

Guest Promo

One of my music making aliasseses is Cunny Chuggs....which came from a drunk conversation with my mate about Konnie Huq!

er....

Ha ha I like it ... I certainly wouldn't say no to playing with Konnie's Chuggs - you get me! ;-)

Probably fair to say I like quite a few artists with shit names, it's not the most important thing if they can come up with decent tunes. But I don't get the pun with Gnarls Barkley (I feel like I've read the rules and I can't see what I'm doing wrong). Is it an American thing?

Originally lost in translation, but it's starting to make sense. Thanks dudes.

*frantically attempts to concoct equivalent pseudonyms for Match Of The Day's pundits*

Shallan Era? Folktronica for defo. Larry Gineker? Probably clutched at enough straws now.

And going back a bit, I'm guessing that Dread Zeppelin doesn't really count.

Huck Dunt

Id Kickarus

Fife Lorce

Bobble Bubble

Pike Tyson's Munch Out

Puper Sitfall

Konkey Dong

I'm claiming all of these for the hipster nostalgia cred and inevitable $$$ (that's three whole dollars!)

Edited by baph

Ooooohhhhh Christ on a cracker. I thought Pin Tweaks would have been an obvious choice for a name. It even makes sense for a producer of electronic music. But someone had the same basic idea of switching letters in "Twin Peaks" and they actually fucked it up.

Pwin ▲▲ Teaks

http://nodata.tv/19902

ABSOLUTE FUCKING MORONS

LOL

Edited by Candiru

Guest AcrossCanyons

Yeah that Pwin Tweaks one is pretty horrible. I nearly listened to them once, but then decided against it.

Ooooohhhhh Christ on a cracker. I thought Pin Tweaks would have been an obvious choice for a name. It even makes sense for a producer of electronic music. But someone had the same basic idea of switching letters in "Twin Peaks" and they actually fucked it up.

Pwin ▲▲ Teaks

http://nodata.tv/19902

ABSOLUTE FUCKING MORONS

LOL

comment from that blog made me lol:

1). they do have originality insomuch as they are pioneering a new genra. Thats pretty big. 2). The Witch-house people are, in the main, sons and daughters of church of satan members and have grown tired of the death metal based music scene of their parents. Thus they are taking their demonic inspiration into the realm of “techno”. The younger c.o.s. or whatever cult, dont JUST dance to this music… Once you understand this, there is no sense in insulting them on the level of triangles, because if you dont know what they MEAN then you insult yourself, and if you Do know then your ridicule becomes a “badge of honor” for them. BUT anyway, i listened to a bunch of this stuff whilst tripping and it made me feel really bad. Guess that makes me prey, huh?

:trap:

Edited by luke viia

When I see an underground artist releasing his music with his real name (or something not too idiotic), I feel I gain some respect for him even if I don't like his music. Maybe it's some sense of seriousness that I respect, a feel of facing with honesty his occupation, which someone would brand as "pretentious" like some users in here.

It's exactly that seriousness that I hate. I'm with sneaksta on this, I get really turned off by musicians taking themselves too seriously.

Plus it's just less creative to leave the name associated with your work uncustomized, when given the option to customize it.

Adopting an artist name is an opportunity to exercise creative control over an essential aspect of your music's presentation. For artists who just use their own name, I tend to assume their music will be boring because they haven't taken any control over how it's presented, except to say "look at me! it's me! i made this!" (it's even worse if the album cover is a picture of them). I don't know if this is pretentious, but it is childish and egocentric.

Far as artist using their real names, I'm generally against it unless the artist is lucky enough to have a double letter in their name somewhere (and i mean in a tasteful positioning too), in which case I'm totally fine w/ it. Ulrich Schnauss: have all of his records.

Guest Hertha Thiele

It's exactly that seriousness that I hate. I'm with sneaksta on this, I get really turned off by musicians taking themselves too seriously.

Plus it's just less creative to leave the name associated with your work uncustomized, when given the option to customize it.

Adopting an artist name is an opportunity to exercise creative control over an essential aspect of your music's presentation. For artists who just use their own name, I tend to assume their music will be boring because they haven't taken any control over how it's presented, except to say "look at me! it's me! i made this!" (it's even worse if the album cover is a picture of them). I don't know if this is pretentious, but it is childish and egocentric.

Why wouldn't you take your music seriously? why it's different from writing or filmmaking? what would you do if you get tired of your moniker? I even get tired of my internet nicks too soon!

For artists who just use their own name, I tend to assume their music will be boring because they haven't taken any control over how it's presented

What a ridiculous presumption. Carl Craig, Ian Hawgood, Robert Hood, James Blake, Fennesz, Brian Eno, Jim O'Rourke. Plenty of styles here; to me they don't sound boring and they don't seem to haven't any control of their music. I see a pattern between these guys (cept Blake, who is a newcommer); they had large careers, with great works and they're still active. Whatever I see a guy with a moniker today, I don't expect him to release more than 2 LPs. I guess they enjoyed the fun and the "control", though.