IGNORED

Influx of bad artist names

eh Speedy

blank frack

wina teymouth

urethra franklin

burly chassis

And Cut Copy. Jesus, fuck you. yeah we get it, you were looking at your edit dropdown. Kill yourself.

so do you have a problem with LFO?

blank frack

wina teymouth

urethra franklin

burly chassis

And Cut Copy. Jesus, fuck you. yeah we get it, you were looking at your edit dropdown. Kill yourself.

so do you have a problem with LFO?

you ask anybody on the street what an LFO is and they think it's a defunct boy band or they don't know. totally obscure enough. approved.

Guest Lube Saibot

man there's a lot of bitterness going on in this thread. especially since most of the featured artists are guilty of the same shit. BoC? National Film Board of Canada. Because... you know... they are radiophonic-esque. Ehehe. And Ae are the worst offenders (if we consider this an offense)... they mashed a fucking keyboard and then touched up what came out a little so it sounded techy.

I'm not saying that the above are damnable acts in any way. Just trying to inject a little bit of perspective into what's become a snowball of passionate bitterness.

Com Truise... i liked the name instantly. I think it serves to evoke the feel of his music quite effectively. The Tom Cruise reference, the "Com" thing (as in communications) are quit apt at relaying the retro aesthetic. The music is ultimately what put me off him, not the name, and not because of it being bad, oh no, but because it is ultimately too BoC. His LP though is doing well to redeem that and I'm getting back into him.

My point is: there are artists who are as "good with words" as they are at making tunes. They will probably ponder their moniker intensely and come up with something that is equally phonetically effective, memorable, and close to their heart, or at least a summation of their aesthetic or inner mythology. Other artists will be very "traditional" about it and just use their given names (given that they are lucky enough to have a decent/easy to pronounce one). And other artists, who are bad at that, will just do a pisstake, and get it out of the way... i hate names like Samiyam, Yppah, Teebs, The Bloody Beetroots, i hate names that are unpronounceable, i hate names that just sound "off", i hate names from Raster Noton that are just sciency bullshit, i hate shit with triangles in it etc... but it's not going to deter me from paying attention to their music and being generally respectful of how they choose to present themselves. And if initials-subtitution, or an anagram, or any sort of gimmick is what is needed to arrive at a DECENT artist name, that's only a plus in my book. Hell, even some jokey one-offs from this thread could be good artist names IMO. Even "Venetian Snares", which i thing is a fantastic moniker and quite fitting for the music, is just something Aaron found in some random book and thought sounded cool. Not every micro-literary success in this world is achieved via sweat and blood.

And that should be taken to heart especially on this board where I've yet to encounter a moniker that's really stricken me. Except maybe for Akkad the Orphic Priest and that's just cause it gets a lot of insanity points. Fluorescent Grey is clever, and untouchable critically, but I still don't like it cause of random subjective quirks of mine (not memorable enough i guess... seems to evoke something too banal to do the music justice... i feel the same way about Plaid for instance). "Mitch Murder" i hated until data jokingly made if French, "Michel Meurtre", now i kinda get it and i see how it fits his music but i much prefer the French variant. And all of these are people whose music I like (love in Mitch's case) and I try not to get dissuaded by my own subjective feelings about the name. Which isn't the most important thing ultimately - the music is.

Many times I'm taken aback by how good a board handle is and how shit the artist name is and I'm puzzled as to why they didn't just use the board handle. I don't refuse to name other names, and the biggest offenders, but i think it would be detrimental to good vibes, and you know who you are. Try to measure yourself on the "Tht Tne!" scale, where "Tht Tne!" is the shittiest moniker ever conceived and the name least akin to "Tht Tne!" is the best name ever thought up.

Trolling aside, my point is the "pot is calling the kettle black" etc...

"Wevie Stonder" is fucking retarded though and i refuse to listen to his music on account of his name. For some reason, THAT ONE is just too much for me. A phonetic abortion. So i guess I'm no better.

Edited by Lube Saibot

teen laqueefa

The next step is to take common phrases and move the letters around to change the meaning.

Pselodux - Walk Like An Equation

Pselodux - Back To Square Wave One

Pselodux - Sine Language

Rooftop Access - Reals and Dreamity

Rooftop Access - Easy Glistening

:whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

Not exactly what I meant. More like "Jundles of Boy." Except jundle isn't a word, so it doesn't make sense.

There you go. That's pretty close.

i'm actually seriously considering using bony tanks as an alias. and that album name too. i have too much respect for him to go through with it though.

Guest hahathhat

theres only so many words in this language, you cant expect them having original names forever :unsure:

maybe, if you're too VAPID to create new ones based off of existing trends, and can only pantomime existing ones. :sup:

man there's a lot of bitterness going on in this thread. especially since most of the featured artists are guilty of the same shit. BoC? National Film Board of Canada. Because... you know... they are radiophonic-esque. Ehehe. And Ae are the worst offenders (if we consider this an offense)... they mashed a fucking keyboard and then touched up what came out a little so it sounded techy.

I'm not saying that the above are damnable acts in any way. Just trying to inject a little bit of perspective into what's become a snowball of passionate bitterness.

Com Truise... i liked the name instantly. I think it serves to evoke the feel of his music quite effectively. The Tom Cruise reference, the "Com" thing (as in communications) are quit apt at relaying the retro aesthetic. The music is ultimately what put me off him, not the name, and not because of it being bad, oh no, but because it is ultimately too BoC. His LP though is doing well to redeem that and I'm getting back into him.

My point is: there are artists who are as "good with words" as they are at making tunes. They will probably ponder their moniker intensely and come up with something that is equally phonetically effective, memorable, and close to their heart, or at least a summation of their aesthetic or inner mythology. Other artists will be very "traditional" about it and just use their given names (given that they are lucky enough to have a decent/easy to pronounce one). And other artists, who are bad at that, will just do a pisstake, and get it out of the way... i hate names like Samiyam, Yppah, Teebs, The Bloody Beetroots, i hate names that are unpronounceable, i hate names that just sound "off", i hate names from Raster Noton that are just sciency bullshit, i hate shit with triangles in it etc... but it's not going to deter me from paying attention to their music and being generally respectful of how they choose to present themselves. And if initials-subtitution, or an anagram, or any sort of gimmick is what is needed to arrive at a DECENT artist name, that's only a plus in my book. Hell, even some jokey one-offs from this thread could be good artist names IMO. Even "Venetian Snares", which i thing is a fantastic moniker and quite fitting for the music, is just something Aaron found in some random book and thought sounded cool. Not every micro-literary success in this world is achieved via sweat and blood.

And that should be taken to heart especially on this board where I've yet to encounter a moniker that's really stricken me. Except maybe for Akkad the Orphic Priest and that's just cause it gets a lot of insanity points. Fluorescent Grey is clever, and untouchable critically, but I still don't like it cause of random subjective quirks of mine (not memorable enough i guess... seems to evoke something too banal to do the music justice... i feel the same way about Plaid for instance). "Mitch Murder" i hated until data jokingly made if French, "Michel Meurtre", now i kinda get it and i see how it fits his music but i much prefer the French variant. And all of these are people whose music I like (love in Mitch's case) and I try not to get dissuaded by my own subjective feelings about the name. Which isn't the most important thing ultimately - the music is.

Many times I'm taken aback by how good a board handle is and how shit the artist name is and I'm puzzled as to why they didn't just use the board handle. I don't refuse to name other names, and the biggest offenders, but i think it would be detrimental to good vibes, and you know who you are. Try to measure yourself on the "Tht Tne!" scale, where "Tht Tne!" is the shittiest moniker ever conceived and the name least akin to "Tht Tne!" is the best name ever thought up.

Trolling aside, my point is the "pot is calling the kettle black" etc...

"Wevie Stonder" is fucking retarded though and i refuse to listen to his music on account of his name. For some reason, THAT ONE is just too much for me. A phonetic abortion. So i guess I'm no better.

You've made good points on this post. it is a bit broader though than switching letters around or adding an extra duran or just straight up lifting a well known artist/figure name (IE: Hype Williams, DJ Rollie Fingers, etc.). I fell victim to this once a few years ago when I was going to use Cecile Cooper as a side alias but decided against it and went with quiliuq instead.

On the other hand, I don't see a problem with names pulled from a story, book, news, movies, location (where I get most of my track names).

I just remembered when I was in high school there was a talent show and there was a band that got turned away because they were called "McDonalds Massacre" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Ysidro_McDonald's_massacre)

Perhaps we're all taking this moniker biz a bit too seriously.