IGNORED

Aphex Twin interview 2011 @ Sonar

Herr Jan

Same old immature crap, no wonder he's divorced now. And without the public he 'hates' he would be an even less well known penniless kid and perhaps wouldn't be so cocky. He's full of crap as usual, there is always an album on the way, always will be. When he finally releases it no-one will remember who he is. At the very best he is selfish child.

oh shut up mr. bitter man. you don't know him and he doesn't owe you anything. grow up.

Bullshit. If you have a talent like that you should share it instead of being a childish pussy all your life and using people only when you need them. If no-one gives a shit then WTF are we all discussing him for then?

People who say I cant believe how much people read into this, etc. Well, exactly, same as ever... He's full of shit, you may as well interview a horse, as usual. He takes the piss out of everyone and everything every single time, yet we sit here like idiots discussing his latest fart.

Nevertheless, I will listen to his album for free on Rephlex and record it from there because he doesn't believe music should be copyrighted.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest hahathhat

whether or not having talent obligates you to develop and share it is another issue entirely.

the fundamental problem is that he keeps promising another album, but never delivering. he needs to shit or get off the pot.

Guest Rabid

I have no clue.

Either the divorce-bit was completely untrue, or to some extent true minus some sort of dry humor. Or attempt at it. Because if there actually has been one, he needs to mature a bit on his humor, to say the least.

Plus, he either shouldn't have given the interview, or he should have taken it more serious. There's not much in between, imo. But hey, I haven't got much information to go with here. Still enough to judge him anyways. One word essentially made the entire story: divorce.

*goes back to judging the guy*

I don't get it. Since when is aphex supposed to take interviews seriously? Since when does he give politically correct answers. Like, there's nothing new here. Except maybe that he mentioned a subject that's touchy for you. I personally won't draw conclusions from this interview because he barely said anything.

Guest hahathhat

he de-cloaked, dropped out of warp, did an interview. first in months. sorry if i look for significant clues. but i guess that's the gimmick...

Didn't he say he was retiring and had enough cash now and doesn't need to put it out anymore?

My guess he did stop making music for a while or not as like he did before because of the family thing and other shit, anyways if he did get back to making music recently and is working on an album that would explain why its taking so long, I mean if he is working on an album like Drukqs that would take a shitload of time

I've translated the whole interview. Some expressions were obviously adapted to Spanish so it's not like these are the actual words of the Aphex Twin but I think it's better than reading an auto-translation.

Question. Why you never like to give interviews?

Answer. I don't like people to know about my stuff.

Q. What's the most surprising thing you've read about yourself'

A. Why does that matter to you?

Q. How many hours of the day you spend creating music?

A. None, for now. The last turn of events didn't go so well for me but I'll get back on track.

Q. When do you like to work?

A. Between 1 and 3 in the morning to make music. And during the morning to setup the gear. (regulate the machines, exact words)

Q. Do you bring your head to the limits when not sleeping?

A. No.

Q. You've recently said that you have 6 albums completed. Is this true? Will you put out a new album?

A. I have more than that. More than 10 or 11 that are already finished and many more loose tracks.

Q. Why have you waited so long to get something new?

A. I didn't want my ex-wife to benefit from them, so I've waited until I got divorced, she was stealing my money.

Q. You've said that your most innovating music must stay unpublished. Why?

A. It stays isolated and that makes the music sounds much fresher to me and my friends.

Q. How many tracks do you have unreleased?

A. Close to 600 tracks. I also have tons of unfinished tracks and random ideas prepared.

Q. Lately where do you find your inspiration?

A. From life, as usual.

Q. Have you ever noticed that someone was copying you?

A. Yes, it was really tough initially. But today I like it.

Q. Do you think that your influence on big groups like Radiohead as been acknowledged?

A. I don't know.

Q. Do you still think you can do something *new today? (*original, innovating?)

A. Yes, I'll show soon.

Q. Does it make sense for you to put out LP's in a world dominated by Spotify and iTunes?

A. I think so, something like that. I wouldn't like if any of my music was bought track by track. Even though I like to buy music this way. Look, no one knows what's best for them.

Q. Do you think art shouldn't be copyrighted?

A. Absolutely. I believe it 100%.

Q. What's your relationship with the audience?

A. I hate them.

Q. Why did you decide to play in festivals like Sonar?

A. To leave the house a little.

Q. Your music has been used in ads and TV shows (usually in strange and bizarre segments). Where wouldn't you like to hear it?

A. Nowhere. You have to let it happen.

Q. How do you feel about the huge success of Windowlicker and Come to Daddy?

A. Good. But I don't like the word success.

Q. Do you like that many people find your music irritating?

A. Yes

Q. Do you still think that schizophrenia is an interesting mental state?

A. Yes. Two minds are better than one.

Q. How did you start making music and why?

A. By accident, editing tapes and recording things like me fighting with my friends.

Q. What life would you have without the music?

R. Supongo que hubiera sido creativo en algún otro sentido, quizá carpintero o cineasta hubiera ingresado en la cárcel

A. I suppose something creative in a way, maybe carpentering or filmaker... (I don't understand the rest)

Q. What's the most important thing a song should have?

A. Emotion.

P. What do you search when composing?

A. Nothing.

Q. When do you feel a track is finished?

A. When I'm bored of making it.

Q. In 26 Mixes for Cash you remixed a song of Nine Inch Nails without hearing the original. How do you do that?

A. I imagined what would sound like Nine Inch Nails and left that in my mind, later I've separated from that hard and painful experience.

Q. Is there something you still wished to do musically?

A. More than ever. The gaps that I could fill are everywhere.

Q. Any new artist that you find interesting?

A. Yes, Raime.

Q. Are you going to watch anyone at Sonar?

R. A Raime seguro. Luego hay mucho que ver, pero no le he mirado detenidamente todavía.

A. Yes Raime for sure, there's lots to see later... (don't understand the rest)

Q. Are you interested in the new school of dubstep?

A. Yes, when I go on K, even though I think it's a really rubbish drug compared to mushrooms and marijuana. Anyway, dubstep has fragmented into tons of beats better than the ones before.

P. ¿Cree que ya se puede hablar de una tradición coherente en la música electrónica?

(dumb pointless questions check auto-translation)

R. Si tú quieres, sí.

P. ¿Cuál sería el primer y el último capítulo?

R. No existe tal cosa.

Q. What are your main influences in your work?

A. Being on my own. My friends.

Q. Why did you refuse to work with someone like Madonna?

A. I didn't do what they wanted me to do.

Q. Who would you like to work with?

A. With Kate Bush

Q. Do you have a tank and a submarine?

A. Yes. I bought them for my own amusement.

Q. Were they really expensive?

A. Not really.

Q. When you gave your last interview to El País in 2003, you where thinking about moving to an electric generator. What happened? Where do you live now?

A. I've lived for a while, but today I live in an island in Scotland.

Q. Does politics interest you? What do you think about the youths rioting in Europe?

A. Yes it interests me. I think it's about the arrival of the NWO.

Guest texan whip

So he lives on an island in Scotland now - Wouldn't it be amazing if AFX and BoC collaborated on an album together?! You never know!!

A. With Kate Bush

lol good to know Kate Bush not only has an effect on myself and men all over the world, but on RDJ as well. i get all emotional when I read "Kate Bush" or hear 1 milisecond of her songs anywhere. i dunno, there's always been this real... ethereal force behind her. didn't like her last album very much, but the force is still there; though possibly weaker. i guess it's childish, but that is how powerful she was/is. she's just genuine... a spiritual empath of sorts, but hey what can we do? we are all hopelessly in love with Kate Bush lol... at least RDJ has a slight chance to work with her, hopefully he gets his wish!

Guest tompty

who gives a shit, new rdj on the way.

only thing is , certainly seems to make the lack of significant rephlex releases this year justified. monolith album delayed. i reckon we will get flooded with braindance goodness all at once.

Guest yikes

I got the impression from the interview that he was talking about his personal problems in the past tense, and that now he's free from the shackles that bound him.

Agreed.

Really apart from nookie, he should marry WATMM. His life would be fucking well sweet. No chore to much trouble lol.

..hang on I forgot about Masonic Boom, nookie no problem either. Sorted.

A man who slags off his ex like that in interviews ain't getting no nookie from me.

I understand that he's probably hurting real bad, and breakups are no fun for anyone. But that's just not a classy way to behave.

Don't understand how a guy can be all "ooh, I'm a hippie, music should be free, maaan" one minute then turn around and go "ooh she's robbing me" when he's asked to pay maintenance for his family. I mean, how are his kids gonna deal, growing up, reading that in the press, Dad slagging off Mum in the freaking *papers*? Really just lost a chunk of respect for a man I actually thought was OK and you know, philosophically sound.

But I guess this is gonna be an excuse for WATMM to be about 100x times more misogynist than usual, so I better just avoid and not try to read any more.

I am sorry his relationship broke up, and I'm sorry that he's hurting, but I expected better from him.

BAN!!

WITH EXTREME PREJUDICE FOR BEING A LAME GOSSIP MONGER

I really have no clue how many more months/days/hours/minutes of WATMM I can stand. You haters are ridiculous.

Thank you to the OP and translators. :aphexsign:

A. With Kate Bush

lol good to know Kate Bush not only has an effect on myself and men all over the world, but on RDJ as well. i get all emotional when I read "Kate Bush" or hear 1 milisecond of her songs anywhere. i dunno, there's always been this real... ethereal force behind her. didn't like her last album very much, but the force is still there; though possibly weaker. i guess it's childish, but that is how powerful she was/is. she's just genuine... a spiritual empath of sorts, but hey what can we do? we are all hopelessly in love with Kate Bush lol... at least RDJ has a slight chance to work with her, hopefully he gets his wish!

looks like someone is feeling the PULL OF THE BUSH

What if the entire reason for releasing the Tuss under a fake name was so that he could hide the money from his wife? lol, okay let's stop talking about that....

Guest hahathhat

What if the entire reason for releasing the Tuss under a fake name was so that he could hide the money from his wife? lol, okay let's stop talking about that....

crossed my mind it could be legal issues, but i always figured on warner in the usa due to the issue of owning the name "aphex twin" etc.

fundamental point is it's another dangle with no hard data.

Guest hahathhat

feel this moment? feel it here? remember this moment.

now, remember it six months later. if there's no new album by then, take a fucking dump on this godforsaken forum.

Just listen to some Autechre. It's less surrounded in mischiveous banter and "childishly cryptic" interviews concerning unreleased tracks, ex wives, money, public relations etc etc. It's all beginning to reek of empty tabloid discussion.

Guest hahathhat

i hope he makes me look like a spoiled child by releasing an amazing album in <4 months. i would love to be wrong about this shit

crossed my mind it could be legal issues, but i always figured on warner in the usa due to the issue of owning the name "aphex twin" etc.

fundamental point is it's another dangle with no hard data.

I don't think so as during the time he was doing shows with the tuss material you could she his wife at gigs here and there on youtube videos. the first time the divorce stuff came up was in some interview he did when he was doing a gig in spain before this one.

Opening with Stone in Focus is sooooo great!

wrong thread, here you go: Sonar Festival 2011

did you even read anything here before posting that?

also, back to this thread:

When the fuck was it all about his personal life? I agree it's fun to discuss because we know so little, but that's a good thing. Richard is smart to not let that shit out, and everyone jumps on it when they find out a little bit (however credible that may be anyways) I judge the music for what it is, not the man that makes it for what he does. Come on, can we not site several examples of artists doing extremely fucked up shit and still having great output?

we are the gossip makers.

we are the gossip wankers.

Archived