IGNORED

pics you took that you're pleased with

oscillik

I think this pic profits from it especially

ty i agree

i keep going back to this moment in high school where the photographer for the town newspaper came to give a talk to my art class, and he said somethng to the extent of "any editing of a photo beyond basic cropping isn't real photography, and a crime against art"...and like i understand the journalistic "just the facts" mindset he must have been coming from, but even a decade on i totally disagree. for me the raw photo often feels like a big block of concrete with a vaguely evocative shape, and the final (sometimes heavily edited) image is like a finished sculpture. same feeling as how an hour long recording of a noodly jam session can be recontextualized into a three minute cut that more directly conveys the underlying feeling

always impressed by your macro work but here i think i'm particularly drawn to the second & last shots (with the mosquitos on glass). hard to describe the feeling it evokes exactly - visual sensations that are often felt in my irl experience, but rarely do i see them documented on film (sort of like how irl sound has that particular multi-dimensional spatial quality, which very rarely is captured by music mixed down to two stereo channels)

Cryptowen - really digging those, and can see the style you're known for in there. Love these shots!

Here's some recent ones I did.

31718728_578181729223484_668028854188218

32203062_104573580405677_150012625279359

32899695_368676650289987_145443222887543

33036371_1314198972058391_20104550185235

32951944_1989947061255763_80319908524589

33210319_619356701751582_333402054737264

amazing , are you sharing these on instagram ?

ty i agree

i keep going back to this moment in high school where the photographer for the town newspaper came to give a talk to my art class, and he said somethng to the extent of "any editing of a photo beyond basic cropping isn't real photography, and a crime against art"...and like i understand the journalistic "just the facts" mindset he must have been coming from, but even a decade on i totally disagree. for me the raw photo often feels like a big block of concrete with a vaguely evocative shape, and the final (sometimes heavily edited) image is like a finished sculpture. same feeling as how an hour long recording of a noodly jam session can be recontextualized into a three minute cut that more directly conveys the underlying feeling

Yeah, like if you're presenting your work as photojournalism, then yeah...even cropping can be considered to be too far. But it sounds like that guy was projecting his comments a bit too overreaching. Art is art, and I definitely agree with you that the moment the image is taken isn't necessarily the end of the artistic process.

Cryptowen - really digging those, and can see the style you're known for in there. Love these shots!

Here's some recent ones I did.

31718728_578181729223484_668028854188218

32203062_104573580405677_150012625279359

32899695_368676650289987_145443222887543

33036371_1314198972058391_20104550185235

32951944_1989947061255763_80319908524589

33210319_619356701751582_333402054737264

amazing , are you sharing these on instagram ?

Thanks! Yep, my instagram is here if you wanna check out the rest

Edited by oscillik

ty i agree

always impressed by your macro work but here i think i'm particularly drawn to the second & last shots (with the mosquitos on glass). hard to describe the feeling it evokes exactly - visual sensations that are often felt in my irl experience, but rarely do i see them documented on film (sort of like how irl sound has that particular multi-dimensional spatial quality, which very rarely is captured by music mixed down to two stereo channels)

thanks

the photographer was a news photographer so yeah, he probably is in for documental accuracy but in my opinion for good looking photos editing isn't only allowed, it's necessary for every single shot.

as for the flies, well, I think all the contrasts between out of focus and focused dust might contribute to an enhanced sense of spatiality, also the usage of a flashlight coming from the side might enhance the three-dimensionality but maybe it's the chromatic aberrations that do the trick and perhaps remind on fractured light on the eyelashes?

perhaps remind on fractured light on the eyelashes?

i think that might be it!

i'm reminded of the particular way light sources sometimes seem to break up into prismic beams & waves in the human eye (again having trouble to capture in words the exact thing), which doesn't seem to be captured in quite the same way by a camera lens

perhaps remind on fractured light on the eyelashes?

i think that might be it!

i'm reminded of the particular way light sources sometimes seem to break up into prismic beams & waves in the human eye (again having trouble to capture in words the exact thing), which doesn't seem to be captured in quite the same way by a camera lens

I think I might have an idea what you mean. Anamorphic lenses do similar stuff but not quite

definitely interested in exploring lenses somewhere down the line (whenever i'm back in a financially lucrative state). seems like the logical next step after "hold random pieces of scuffed up glass or a water bottle or a pair of sunglasses in front of the camera while taking the shot"

Anamorphic lenses are used in film and usually too expensive for usage out of film sets as far as I know

I really wish there were native anamorphic lenses for APS-C systems

Yes, some affordable ones would be great. But there are ways to fake that look by using some sort of filter made from specialized glass iwith oval aperture and a thin string stretched over the lens. Um, like this:

1_horaczko.jpg

Anamorphic lenses are used in film and usually too expensive for usage out of film sets as far as I know

Yes, some affordable ones would be great. But there are ways to fake that look by using some sort of filter made from specialized glass iwith oval aperture and a thin string stretched over the lens. Um, like this:

1_horaczko.jpg

It's not the same though - I want the compressed image circle and the distortion that happens when you stretch the image back out again.

There'll never be a real anamorphic lens for APS-C though :( I'd have to move to full-frame

1_horaczko.jpg

It's not the same though - I want the compressed image circle and the distortion that happens when you stretch the image back out again.

There'll never be a real anamorphic lens for APS-C though :( I'd have to move to full-frame

I think if done right there is no distortion when compressing the stretched original image to normal proportions and the oval bokeh can be done by filters but of course you use a lot of light when using these filters and the lens flares of a real anamorphic lens looks very very pretty:

But fake one isn't too bad either:

Dunno, these flares look nice but wouldn't pay 10k for getting them  :biggrin:

I would like to make circular pictures with a fisheye lens which isn't possible on APS-C but generally I like APS-C more. Usually better image quality bcs the parts where image is worst are cropped away plus focal length increases which I like

darreichungsform - LOVE that last shot - reminds me a lot of Russell Mills artwork, especially of the stuff he did for NIN. The colours in it are perfectly contrasting.

thanks!

congrats for ur press shot

Your stuff generally has a hyper real quality to it, which always looks great.

Thanks, I had to hassle Mixmag to get them to credit me (hope that's not a portent with publications in general), but they fixed it within 24 hours.

http://world3.tk/iii.html

with each week of relative unemployment these begin to look more & more like rotting vhs mixdowns of security cam footage

should be taking a trip out to the woods soon so next batch could possibly be more fresh air inspired

@darreichungsform: the shot of the sheep is v.nice on its own, but I especially like the effect it garners coming immediately after those more abstract textural close-ups - something about the shading & sharpness made my brain (for a split second) parse it as being one of those shots of microscopic insects you sometimes see in science books. Adds a subtle air of otherworldliness to it. other shots strong as well, particularly the leafy ones. can totally see the NIN feeling as well

@osc: was it you or the magazine ppl who decided to go with the yellow//black colour palette? adds an interesting feeling to the one shot in the metro station, like it could have been taken at any time of night or day. Also congrats!

@darreichungsform: the shot of the sheep is v.nice on its own, but I especially like the effect it garners coming immediately after those more abstract textural close-ups - something about the shading & sharpness made my brain (for a split second) parse it as being one of those shots of microscopic insects you sometimes see in science books. Adds a subtle air of otherworldliness to it. other shots strong as well, particularly the leafy ones. can totally see the NIN feeling as well

Thanks, I usually pay attention to the order in which I present my pics

I love these glitches and the textures they create, also the subtle framing. Are some of these photos of photos on a computer screen of photos on a computer screen? Nice shots, can't even pick a favourite but if I had to I would say this:

SAvGoPg.jpg

^thank you! a lot of these are shots of shots of shots etc....a couple of them were also re-shot with the camera pointed through a damp mason jar i found on the street this morning

also trying to put more thought into the presentation of each collection of pictures. most of the ones here i picked because i thought they looked good in thumbnail form together