IGNORED

pics you took that you're pleased with

oscillik

dope shot, digging the palette + the way you managed to get a nicely composed//detailed shot of a bird in flight (i've still only been able to get them looking like little flying moustaches in the distance)

Thanks man. It was beginners luck. As I've mentioned on the birds thread, birds around here are quite social lol I was taking random pictures to scenery and this group of seagulls came next to me as if like they wanted to be in the photo. I was actually blinded by the sun so I just kept shooting blindly... when I looked back at the pictures I had that shot... :^)

@michael jackson: I really enjoy your photos, you have a good eye for a balanced composition. Also your pics work well together because you use the same filter for them all. I especially like that out of airplane (?) shot of the islands. I recommend you to get a nice editing app so you can make your own colour edits instead of making use of preset filters tho. Not bcs it looks better but bcs it's more your own then, I guess. But fuck it, looks good that way

@oscillik: Very pretty shots as usual. They really capture the atmosphere of the place you are in. Maybe that's even more prominent to someone who is not where you are. Really beautiful colours

@michael Jackson - nice compositions, as darrei has mentioned! Definitely post more stuff up when you feel like it.

@darrei - thanks loads. This constant heat and harsh sun makes it really difficult for me to shoot in, because I prefer moodier lighting. This harsh sunlight just casts harsh shadows and I'm not usually into that kind of thing. However there are some occasions where I can get some shots in. Using slide film emulations for the colour development really helps, I find. Been using a lot of Kodak Kodachrome, Kodak Elite Chrome, and Technicolor emulations to get most of the colour work on my Instagram of late.

^I get what you say about that harsh direct sunlight from above, it really can ruin a lot but at the same time is exactly the right thing for a certain kind of picture. Harsh contrasts and lots of black areas can look nice but it's difficult to make good use of it. I have no idea how you get the exposure and everything right when shooting analogue on film with this light tho.

Here are some more photos:

IMG_6968.jpg

IMG_9734_3.jpg

IMG_9543.jpg

IMG_9454_2.jpg

IMG_9542.jpg

IMG_9570_3.jpg

IMG_9736.jpg

IMG_9588_2.jpg

and some more lice bcs you guys seemed to like them:

2018_06_15_22_15_41_ZS_DMap.jpg

so tasty. Could you please place some common object on its side for scale comparison next time?

36722667_2189280651318839_32578798438905

36819813_2189280574652180_61138079793146

Darreichungsform, I use the same filter but then I fine tune it, surprisingly google photos or even my phone's pic gallery have quite a few options to tweak.

But yeah you're right I'm gonna give a try to light room, I have not been using it because I'm on a ship and I use mostly my phone, I have my laptop but I rarely touch it...

Thanks for your kind words ?

Edited by THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON

First darreich's snails gave me a boner

then I saw TIMJ's Stingray

but then the sexy grasshopper and dem legs???

This is NSFW m9s

:)

(lots of great photos folks, darreich I hope you're selling yours because you should)

thanks, auxien. I guess when you said I should sell my pictures it was meant as a compliment, but actually it is really difficult to sell any pictures and make real money from it that actually contributes to your living situation unless you are a star photographer at National Geographic or you do stock photography which means you upload 10 pictures a day of random shit that might sell well in a year or so. Or you sit in a mall and take portrait pics of ugly Republicans. I'd rather have it as a hobby and photograph sexy fly butts. Her is some sexy hoverfly from behind:

2018_06_15_21_46_33_ZS_DMap.jpg

and here is some hot orbweaver I rescued from drowning:

IMG_8800.jpg

I lucked out getting that photo shoot gig, but I didn't ask for too much. In the end, she ended up paying me a bit more than I asked for, which is cool since I guess she was really pleased with the images.

But yeah, photography certainly in this day and age, doesn't pay much at all and that's if you're getting paid in the first place. You gotta be doing it for the love. Same with music though, so...

@chronical the first one has some nice geometry from the street lines playing off the other objects in the shot, good angle too. i like when people take good photos of urban streets, it's inspiring bcuz more often than not i've just been walking the same few blocks waiting for fresh angles to jump out

@TIMJ the shots i've seen from you so far all have this nice faded colour palette (but in a very lowkey way, not like they're intentionally meant to be evoking a nostalgic aesthetic or something). This shot in particular has a nice soft pastel thing going on which i like (also jelly because i bet working on a boat offers lots of unique photo opportunities)

@dar v.nice as always :0 i feel inspired by your work to at some point dedicate a period of time to exploring very small scale environments, especially seeing if i can apply the same geometric//spatial principales that tend to interest me in photography, but at that level rather than with a sprawling vista

still no new batch of my own to post! i've got some shots i like from recent weeks but have mostly been focusing on drawing lately, still experimenting to see if there's a way to present a mixture of the two together in a way that feels cohesive

Looks like Instagram have stopped direct linking to image URLs for new uploads, so I'm having to revert back to using Flickr.

42687795875_11d350046e_o.jpg

42874457444_1f92a37d82_o.jpg

29721831278_43a1511fc3_o.jpg

42687795275_2f6b088c05_o.jpg

29721832268_eca0268b66_o.jpg

42687790935_2fd9813cdc_o.jpg

42687789015_138fce9e89_o.jpg

42687793025_dc4547f307_o.jpg

42874453484_982e04d50b_o.jpg

42874454184_822e253830_o.jpg

43545064672_06e983e418_o.jpg

43545063862_ca219ce069_o.jpg

Osc do you use a tripod? It feels like you because your photos look set up and very much composed.

Nope, everything is handheld. I bought a monopod years ago, and I've used it like twice. 

@osc i like how your colour & b/w stuff have such different feelings, despite often being of the same kinds of subject matter. like the b/w have a very intense mood & texture, whereas the colour shots have more of a sense of depth & hyper-reality. specifically on that note i love how you often use what seem to be everyday urban locations shot from mundane angles (ie a view someone walking on the street might see each day, as opposed to something you'd need to climb a phone tower or use a drone to get), but there's subtle details in the composition that give a very distinct mood. rly getting that in this batch from the first two, the isolated black crosswalk pole thing (possibly my favourite just for the fact that it's such an unassuming scene, but captured with the same sense of focus one might have looking out over a vast landsape), the rows of pillars casting shadows, and the building one just below it

sometimes your stuff reminds me energetically of michael wolf's work (specifically that series where he did close up shots of apartment & office windows to reveal the interiors), where there's this distinct sense of "nowness". like most art seems to be inviting me to mentally travel to another time or place, but your shots often have me becoming more aware of the actual details of the environments i pass through & interact with day to day

Edited by Cryptowen