IGNORED

pics you took that you're pleased with

oscillik

@osc i like how your colour & b/w stuff have such different feelings, despite often being of the same kinds of subject matter. like the b/w have a very intense mood & texture, whereas the colour shots have more of a sense of depth & hyper-reality. specifically on that note i love how you often use what seem to be everyday urban locations shot from mundane angles (ie a view someone walking on the street might see each day, as opposed to something you'd need to climb a phone tower or use a drone to get), but there's subtle details in the composition that give a very distinct mood. rly getting that in this batch from the first two, the isolated black crosswalk pole thing (possibly my favourite just for the fact that it's such an unassuming scene, but captured with the same sense of focus one might have looking out over a vast landsape), the rows of pillars casting shadows, and the building one just below it

sometimes your stuff reminds me energetically of michael wolf's work (specifically that series where he did close up shots of apartment & office windows to reveal the interiors), where there's this distinct sense of "nowness". like most art seems to be inviting me to mentally travel to another time or place, but your shots often have me becoming more aware of the actual details of the environments i pass through & interact with day to day

Wow that's seriously humbling. Thanks for taking the time to put into words what my snapshots come across for you as!

A lot of my urban stuff is exactly that - stuff that I either walk past or go by on a regular basis, or stuff I stumble upon whilst exploring areas I haven't been to before. Most of the stuff I posted today is from my walk around the Liverpool Uni campus, which has some nice concrete structures. The last one I posted really grabbed my attention as a "scene", with that wheelie bin just left in the middle of the road, and I liked the interplay of the colours (the blue of the bin, the yellows of the road markings, and the graff on the doors).

I really appreciate your comments regarding the sense of depth with my colour work - it's the kind of comment that makes me think maybe a jump to medium format film would definitely be worthwhile. Gonna have to save up a while before that happens though. For now, I'm still extremely happy with the results I'm getting with my current setup.

It's incredibly rewarding to read that my work has inspired you to take more notice of the everyday mundane areas you and others pass through.

Thank you so much.

I love Cryptowen's comments.

As he said, really nice colours and interesting urban motifs in oscillik's pics. Look a bit like stills from movies. I feel the white framing is important to isolate the pictures from everything else and contribute hugely to the impression you get from these pics.

TIMS, nicely composed as always and interesting subject. Benefits from your choice of editing. Pretty cool job

Nice gritty editing on your pics, chronical

thanks, auxien. I guess when you said I should sell my pictures it was meant as a compliment, but actually it is really difficult to sell any pictures and make real money from it that actually contributes to your living situation unless you are a star photographer at National Geographic or you do stock photography which means you upload 10 pictures a day of random shit that might sell well in a year or so. Or you sit in a mall and take portrait pics of ugly Republicans. I'd rather have it as a hobby and photograph sexy fly butts. Her is some sexy hoverfly from behind:

Definitely meant as a compliment...I believe 100% that it's difficult to sell photography, art, etc. (I'm not paying any bills selling music)...just that your stuff is good and I could see it selling in some niche spots to weirdos like me who like odd nature pics. Lovely shots again here to you.

And to osc, always nice and quality and very much draws the viewer in. 

chronical too

I found a nice spot and took some photos with my semi-functional manual fisheye lens with broken focus ring and generally crappy optics, but it has character. I tried to enhance that with the editing. Must admit that there is a lot of redundancy in this batch of pics

IMG_9845.jpg

IMG_9837.jpg

IMG_9802.jpg

IMG_9851.jpg

IMG_9794_Kopie.jpg

IMG_9844.jpg

IMG_9828.jpg

IMG_9795.jpg

IMG_9835.jpg

IMG_9831.jpg

IMG_9830.jpg

IMG_9841.jpg

IMG_9793.jpg

IMG_9789.jpg

ooh nice. dunno which out of those is my fav but the mood is strong on all of them. in some ways different than other stuff you've posted (almost feels to me like a cross between a high school biology text book from the early 00s, and a breaking bad cook montage), but still that same sense of discovering alien unfamiliarity in the natural environment

Amazon shots darr. That transparent spider with the white shell on its back is disgusting af though. Looks like your taking pictures with a microscope... Is that a regular lense or something fancy? Love those shots with the watery/acid tones from the 90s you took with your broken camera!

Amazon shots darr. That transparent spider with the white shell on its back is disgusting af though. Looks like your taking pictures with a microscope... Is that a regular lense or something fancy? Love those shots with the watery/acid tones from the 90s you took with your broken camera!

I use a 100mm macro lens and sometimes combine it with an extension tube and a close-up diopter which is something like a magnifier that you can screw on the lens but in order to achieve nice macros you can also just reversely mount a wideangle lens onto you camera using a reverse adapter ring