IGNORED

Bola - Aguilla

mcbpete

For work today I was editing the 'awesome' film The Glimmer Man from 1996 featuring incredible artistic characterisation by Mr. Steven Seagal. Suddenly 22 minutes in this bit of music seems to appear completely out of the blue -

http://www.ilovecubus.co.uk/pete/glimmer.mp3

Now is it me or is that completely the opening sample (well 10 seconds in) to the insanely awesome Bola - Aguilla:

The thing is, the film came out two years before Soup so I'm guessing Mr. Fitton was either inspired or nicked and cleaned up this sample. Or it's something both he and the film stole from another place altogether.

It is the same no ?! :unsure:

this is one of my all time fav bola tunes, but i hadn't thought about it in a long time. must put it on . . .

Woah awesome! That song always sticks out on that album to me, cos it sounds almost entirely made of samples, while all the other tracks sound like they're almost entirely built from scratch on old synths and drum machines.

I thought I'd download the soundtrack and see if there's a clean version on there... I flicked through it and I didn't find it. But it's only 26 minutes long so I'll listen to the whole thing sometime and see if I can spot it :P

Guest Greg Reason

Sounds too muddied to be sampled from the film, I guess both are taken from the same source as fox says. I can ask if you want?

I just asked him on facebook (I'm no contact, but he's good at responding to fans).

He said:

"Ahh..... Well actually Aguilla was recorded in 1994, in fact most of Soup was recorded around 1993-4.... However you are correct in assuming it was a sample, if I remember correctly it was from Spectrasonics "Distorted Reality"

I'm not generally in the habit of using samples from sources other than my own, but seeing as I'd used samples of my friends vocals on it already.....and it fit beautifully

The rest of the track is conventional synthesis ie Minimoog bass / Z1 pads / Ry30 beats / Fender Rhodes piano etc etc"

If we can turn this into a "Bola is a good chap" thread, and I think we can, I'd like to point out that he put lyrics up in the notes section of his facebook page, after I asked him for some lyrics. He's such a good guy.

This is an A-class thread. Actually that's what I think when I think of Bola: classy.

I only have Soup to be honest. Maybe it's time to get the rest of his stuff... he only has like... 2 other albums doesn't he?

Guest ruiagnelo

This is an A-class thread. Actually that's what I think when I think of Bola: classy.

I only have Soup to be honest. Maybe it's time to get the rest of his stuff... he only has like... 2 other albums doesn't he?

couple more than 2 actually lol

couple more than 2 actually lol

The thing about Bola's releases is that they're all really really good. He doesn't have weak releases. So, I'd recommend all of them.

And yes, there are more than 2. Don't forget about the album he release as "Jello", instead of "Bola".

If we can turn this into a "Bola is a good chap" thread, and I think we can, I'd like to point out that he put lyrics up in the notes section of his facebook page, after I asked him for some lyrics. He's such a good guy.

he does indeed seem like a really nice bloke. and he's a fantastic mastering engineer as well as making awesome music, too.

I only click the 'New Thread' button if I have something worthwhile to add to this place. Despite being here nearly a decade I still get conscious with creating entirely new topics on here ....

Yeah you should really check out the rest of his stuff, he's been pretty darn consistent quality wise over the years. So definitely get these -

Bola - Fyuti

Bola - Gnayse

Jello - Voile

Bola - Kroungrine

And if you like them, get the [imo] less essential rest of his discography. I'm still to really appreciate the Shapes album, there's nothing that really sticks out in my mind, it's nice sure, just not that memorable.

Mmm yeah... listened to Soup again today... I think I will get those 4 at some point. Thanks for the recommendations, COMPLETELY forgot about those other ones, but now that I see the names I recognise them.

Guest Greg Reason

Fyuti absolutely blows my mind. I like his entire catalog but that thing is a masterpiece.

Interesting that Spectrasonics used to do sample disks; I've used some of their VSTs (Atmosphere, Stylus RMX) but had no idea they'd been around that long

And if you like them, get the [imo] less essential rest of his discography. I'm still to really appreciate the Shapes album, there's nothing that really sticks out in my mind, it's nice sure, just not that memorable.

There is some wonderful stuff on Shapes but it's a bit less songey and more ambient so sticks in your head less. Beautiful music though

I used to have Soup and 1 (fer fuck sake and mint too but traded it off for a Mask 400, doh!), but I'm still left w/ the Aguilla 7" which is magic alone for that short track at the end, and Shapes. Guess I just never gave the rest a shot, but I wasn't that all about Soup so there ya go.

• 2 weeks later...

I listened to Soup on a whim a few weeks ago, loved it, picked up the vinyl, and I'm a happy man. I'm also happy to know Bola is a nice dude, too.

BTW awesome artwork on the vinyl copy of Soup

fyuti, soup and gnayse are my top 3 but everything's top notch. shapes is amazing mcbpete! give it another few spins pronto!

probably my favourite artist.

Archived