IGNORED

Astronomy

Guest Hanratty

Guest Hanratty

I was wondering if anyone here has interests in astronomy. I am just looking for recommendations on books/documentary films that are really awe inspiring. I love looking at space photos and just recently watched some history channel film about the sun. Seen or read anything cool in this area lately?

Guest Gary C

Carl Sagan Cosmos. DVD and Book. I prefer the book, personally. It's one of my favourites across all genres.

I've been reading Arthur C. Clarke stuff lately, just re-read 2001 and now I'm reading The Songs of Distant Earth, also really good. I don't know if you wanted fiction, but his books are always based on really solid scientific speculation. Definitely kicks up my interest in astronomy.

Guest Hanratty

I've been reading Arthur C. Clarke stuff lately, just re-read 2001 and now I'm reading The Songs of Distant Earth, also really good. I don't know if you wanted fiction, but his books are always based on really solid scientific speculation. Definitely kicks up my interest in astronomy.

arthur c clarke and carl sagan are totally new to me. i know they are huge names within the genre, but i have never read them. maybe i will soon.

I'd second the recommendation for Arthur C Clarke. I remember reading 2001 and actually learning a little about astronomy from it which really kickstarted my interest. I thought he was bullshitting about Iapetus until I read up on it. Astronomy is fascinating, but unfortunately with me being a bit dense the science loses me fairly quickly.

Cosmos is something I really should return to. I can remember it being on telly as a kid, although around that time my understanding of science was probably limited to Daleks and Cybermen. Shame on me.

not sure what this is about, i've only watched the first couple of minutes so far, but it looks kinda interesting. though they'll probably just end up repeating the same old

clichés about the universe as every other program like it since cosmos. OR MAYBE NOT?!

*watches*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryUYyhpqh68

Guest nene multiple assgasms

there are some good series on the science channel such as through the wormhole with morgan freeman.

an annoying host can ruin a doc for me. But this stuff is mighty interesting. Hard to fully grasp.

you know in time bandits when they are trapped in the cages held up by ropes in total blackness outside the evil fortress. Thats what Ive always imagined the end of the universe to look like

not sure what this is about, i've only watched the first couple of minutes so far, but it looks kinda interesting. though they'll probably just end up repeating the same old

clichés about the universe as every other program like it since cosmos. OR MAYBE NOT?!

*watches*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryUYyhpqh68

Aphex Twin - "btoum-roumada" at 31:35

Cosmos. End of.

carl_sagan_is_my_homeboy_poster-p228274885688950217tdcp_400.jpg

kaini knows.

damn straight.

although i prefer to call him my copilot.

my son's religious education teacher is an old friend of mine. we're cooking up a scheme for him to show the class an episode of cosmos every week for 13 weeks. i can't think of a better thing to ignite a love of science and reason in kids than cosmos. it's dated extraordinarily well.

I'd second the recommendation for Arthur C Clarke. I remember reading 2001 and actually learning a little about astronomy from it which really kickstarted my interest. I thought he was bullshitting about Iapetus until I read up on it. Astronomy is fascinating, but unfortunately with me being a bit dense the science loses me fairly quickly.

I was always interested in astronomy and cosmology, but honestly some of it never clicked until I took astronomy courses in college. Just the way experts break it down and explain the concepts I suppose. I'd also recommend the Sagan and Hawking books for that reason.

Long ago I checked out a cosmology book that literally alternated chapters with excellent sci-fi short stories. I really wish I knew the title, I'd recommend it in a heartbeat.

an annoying host can ruin a doc for me. But this stuff is mighty interesting. Hard to fully grasp.you know in time bandits when they are trapped in the cages held up by ropes in total blackness outside the evil fortress. Thats what Ive always imagined the end of the universe to look like

Man I love that movie. Most of the universe is quite empty as is. Between all the galaxies and clusters is a lot of vast, vacant space. Quite mind-boggling really. Reminds me of the Total Perspective Vortex in Hitchhiker's.

Guest tronicphace

Watch the documentary called Phoenix Mars Mission - Onto the Ice. I'm in it ( no kidding), but it may be boring to those not interested in space exploration.

Archived