IGNORED

Social Media Advertising

jules

Guest Coalbucket PI

I think its worth having a presence on social media sites, if people want to ‘like’ your brand then let them, it’s like having a people on a mailing list basically. I can’t imagine how it takes a lot of work or skills? Or needs any particular graphic design for that matter?

I think its worth having a presence on social media sites, if people want to ‘like’ your brand then let them, it’s like having a people on a mailing list basically. I can’t imagine how it takes a lot of work or skills? Or needs any particular graphic design for that matter?

apparently we all need to learn how and what to tweet and post. it's more about strategy than design. when they were talking about "power tweeters" I almost lost it.

Guest Coalbucket PI

Yeah I can see the frustration! but if anything these 'skills' are far beneath you rather than being beyond you. I bet there are already tweeting consultants. Fucking hell, I've just annoyed myself.

Guest hahathhat

apparently we all need to learn how and what to tweet and post. it's more about strategy than design. when they were talking about "power tweeters" I almost lost it.

that sort of bullshit is why i cannot stand to work 9-5 on salary, in an office. you can't tell anyone to go fuck themselves, even if they're in dire need of it. if you've got enough of a rep and you think you could fly it, go independent. you still have bosses and cow orkers, but these sort of "office initiatives" tend not to reach you nearly as much. if you have three clients instead of one job, you're not as terrified to piss someone off with a dash of ice cold truth. that being said: there's still bullshit anywhere there's a paycheck, and health insurance on your own sux. i have no idea if you're in the sort of industry that can support that, etc. and i vaguely recall you have a wife and kids? i do suppose i don't have that sort of weight on me. not to mention i recall my sister and i making it real hard for my dad to get anything done when he worked at home!

in any case, it would seem management is instructing you to look five years down the road. i would do so, but not for them. what if this social networking bullshit stops being "trendy" (hurr) in three years, and they've bet a 5-year strategy on it? revenues tank and they start laying people off... possibly you, if you haven't drank the kool-aid. on the other hand, maybe they'll get bored of social networking in six months and you'll realize this was all just wishy-washy management vision shit.

or, it's like i initially said, and they're just trying "to do less with more" e.g. they want you to learn that shit so they don't have to hire another body to do it.

--hat, bullshit career visionary

i don't feel it is beneath me so to speak but i do not feel like it is part of my job. to me, it is a copywriter job. it feels like it is such a buzzword these days and everyone is chasing their own tail trying to prove why sm is necessary and why clients need to pay thousands of dollars for someone to tweet about their brand. it all seems so fake to me. i don't know, i am definitely showing my age on this one. i'm just going to ride it out and see what happens. i definitely will do my research in the area but i am never going to be a power tweeter.

if i am, someone kill me. although i guess i will already be dead inside.

i wish i could go on my own, i just have no way of really getting the big clients i have here. i was doing a freelance thing for awhile and it was pretty much doing free shit for family and friends. i do have a wife, bay, mortgage, etc so i need stability in pay. i know without a doubt i could handle it on my own and the petty crap would really fall off my shoulders as i would be reaping the rewards of the hard work not the owners of the company i work for.

Guest hahathhat

i don't feel it is beneath me so to speak but i do not feel like it is part of my job. to me, it is a copywriter job. it feels like it is such a buzzword these days and everyone is chasing their own tail trying to prove why sm is necessary and why clients need to pay thousands of dollars for someone to tweet about their brand. it all seems so fake to me. i don't know, i am definitely showing my age on this one. i'm just going to ride it out and see what happens. i definitely will do my research in the area but i am never going to be a power tweeter.

if there's a boss/etc. you particularly like, maybe have a quiet word. say you're playing ball, but have concerns, and want to understand where the company is going, what they expect of you, etc.... part of it is about saying something, since you seem so upset. maybe someone will listen. the other part is about understanding what's actually going to happen, as opposed to what gets announced at meetings.

This might be of interest to you - i think it shows how AD guys can be very relevant in using social media:

There are also lots of tools to help you be a "power tweeter" :facepalm: that should allow you to focus on your design shit more and basically automate that process. Also, definitely learn the buzzwords - learning those is half the battle, then you're on your way to upper management - which means free blowjobs!

if there's a boss/etc. you particularly like, maybe have a quiet word. say you're playing ball, but have concerns, and want to understand where the company is going, what they expect of you, etc.... part of it is about saying something, since you seem so upset. maybe someone will listen. the other part is about understanding what's actually going to happen, as opposed to what gets announced at meetings.

i actually did call a meeting with the pres about this, happening tomorrow. i am very upfront with my bosses and it is usually very respected.

This might be of interest to you - i think it shows how AD guys can be very relevant in using social media:

There are also lots of tools to help you be a "power tweeter" :facepalm: that should allow you to focus on your design shit more and basically automate that process. Also, definitely learn the buzzwords - learning those is half the battle, then you're on your way to upper management - which means free blowjobs!

thanks man. bookmarked. and quite interesting...

Archived