IGNORED

food thread and 'bad food' addiction

vamos scorcho

Guest fiznuthian

overeating, and frequent hunger are actually signs that the two hormones controlling hunger are malfunctioning.

the hormones ghrelin and leptin are the hormones involved, and their interplay depends heavily on the activity on insulin post-meal.

basically you're eating foods that are devoid of nutrition, but that's not the worst part.

the simple carbs that constitute junk food wreak havok on your body's ability to maintain blood sugar, insulin, blood pressure, and healthy (NOT low) levels of healthy cholesterol.

the end result is that ghrelin and leptin fail to perform their jobs properly, and the simple carbs turn into glucose then distributed over-abundantly to the rest of you.

30 minutes later you are starving again, and may feel varying degrees of weakness, tiredness, and fatigue.

so here's your solution and its really the only one:

ignore the USDA pyramid..

eat plenty of meat, vegetables, fruits in that order followed by nuts, grain, et al

to ward off hunger:

eat the combination of saturated fat and protein, a combo which is most effective for keeping your hunger at bay

vegetable oils are not healthy fats

for bonus points:

go cooking crazy with coconut oil, your intestinal tract will thank you for the saturated lauric fatty acid you just dumped into it.

its even better if you're an athlete.

and eat the majority of your carbs following fat/protein to reduce glycemic load..

while grapes are one of the healthiest fruits on the planet, gobbling a bunch down on their own can send blood sugar soaring

lastly, if you are an athlete who exercises frequently ignore most of what i just said. there's a lot more to sports nutrition,

cycling foods and such pre and post.. not as much to worry about overdoing unless you're shooting for peak performance and tightening down your diet.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest fiznuthian

I have the exact same problem. It's mostly out of laziness like SR4. I've been counting calories with an so on my phone for the past 5 weeks which has made me infinitely more aware of the shit I eat. Since I started counting calories I've lost almost 20 lbs, but I still crave fast food and crap snacka, but when the numbers are right there in my face it's more like "nah, I can have that tomorrow" our whatever. I still have fast food, but once a week at most and if I do I pretty much eat only vegetables or other light foods for the rest of the day.

I'd definitely be interested in some delicious healthy watmm recipes!

I wanted to try calorie counting but I don't know how I'm supposed to know the amounts of everything I eat. I mean it's fine if you eat everything pre-made because it's printed on the packaging but if you are trying to eat healthily generally you are making it yourself. Am I really expected to weigh my cornflakes and measure the volume of milk?

counting calories is just not how dieting works in reality, there are far too many other factors. 2000 calories it not the same to someone predisposed to obesity, and lifestyle can mean a lot more than the number of cals.

whole grain bread can stack calories sky high if you eat it often, but compared to a food high in saturated fat it doesn't even compare. fat is energy dense, far more so than whole grains, thus you get more mileage from it.

a lot of people put themselves through the mental struggle of trying to maintain lower calorie diets while eating majority of foods with low energy density.

it's horrible to watch people blame their lack of willpower as the protein power bars loaded with sugars and whole grain veggie sandwiches don't make the cut,

and they find their way to the kitchen gobbling down snacks for to cheat far too often.

Guest couch

My diet is horrible but I snack on fruit daily. It's probably not helping much but damn it tastes good.

Guest fiznuthian

sometimes i eat an entire plate full of bacon, probably 20 or so pieces when i wake up in the morning.

while not the best source to get my saturated fats, and practically devoid of nutrients,

its pretty damn effective for keeping hunger at bay and staying awake and alert.

bacon's a sat fat/protein bomb

obviously not for anyone lowering sodium intake

Guest fiznuthian

yeah i am, and i still eat them from time to time.

they're healthy immunomodulators and i stand behind the science.

Guest Coalbucket PI

counting calories is just not how dieting works in reality, there are far too many other factors.

I think if there is a reason why it would work, it is because there are far too many other factors. You are right, but there are far too many wacky ideas around and a lot of nutritionists will disagree with each other which is why every other fatty has a bizarre new diet plan based on one theory or another. I’d say watching your intake in a general way and staying active is the only realistic advice to expect people to have faith in enough to follow.

Like most people here, I'm not entirely sure how healthy my diet is because nutrition is confusing, but I think I eat pretty healthily. I make myself a lot salad, curries and stir-fries. I always cook my own food, I never add salt, and I use a lot of spinach, chicken, beets and yogurt in my cooking.

But that stuff takes a while to cook, and if you don't like cooking/are busy then that's not a good option.

For healthy snack food, the solution you're looking for is fruit. Fruit is seriously like the cheapest food out there, it's good for you, and it's delicious. Just keep your house stacked with apples/bananas/oranges/peaches. Someone suggested melon, but that doesn't taste as good and requires more preparation. Just make sure you have apples and stuff in your house at all times and you can't go wrong.

90% of the time I eat real decent homecooked food. I'll have kfc or mcdonalds maybe 6 times a year at a push. If I snack it will be fruit and nut bars, bowl of cereal or dried fruit. After I eat crappy food, and the intial 'yuminess' I definately get a lull and drop in mood. I was bought up with good food and that culture has stayed with me tbh. I cant really operate if my diet is poor, but I lead a physical life and my job dictates that I work outside a lot.

But I drink too much beer!

Nobody is perfect!!!!

Fresh fruit smoothies made up at home is a great step in the right direction.

Guest Sprigg

^ I make mad fruit smoothies at home, but good fruit typically isn't cheap around here, and neither are yogurt or almond milk or any of the other ingredients I usually use.

Guest fiznuthian

Like most people here, I'm not entirely sure how healthy my diet is because nutrition is confusing, but I think I eat pretty healthily. I make myself a lot salad, curries and stir-fries. I always cook my own food, I never add salt, and I use a lot of spinach, chicken, beets and yogurt in my cooking.

But that stuff takes a while to cook, and if you don't like cooking/are busy then that's not a good option.

For healthy snack food, the solution you're looking for is fruit. Fruit is seriously like the cheapest food out there, it's good for you, and it's delicious. Just keep your house stacked with apples/bananas/oranges/peaches. Someone suggested melon, but that doesn't taste as good and requires more preparation. Just make sure you have apples and stuff in your house at all times and you can't go wrong.

now you're eating healthy my friend..

spinach is just packed full of nutrition, pretty much a superfood

plain yogurt helps keep the microbial structure of your gut in check

animal protein, check. though personally i'm a red meat kind of guy.

and snacking on fruits.

see this is what i'm talking about here.

don't know why you would bring up my mushroom interests, perhaps as if to belittle my advice,

but i think Root's diet is a perfect example of a diet that supports most if not all physiological needs.

i'm not preaching a diet plan per say but merely suggesting that choosing the right type of food makes counting calories unnecessary.

and that model is:

meat -> vegetables -> fruit -> seed -> nuts -> whole grain

keep in mind that though meat is first on the list i don't necessarily mean eat as much as you can stand,

but rather that meat should be a primary source of energy in the form of kJ per gram eaten.

I have the exact same problem. It's mostly out of laziness like SR4. I've been counting calories with an so on my phone for the past 5 weeks which has made me infinitely more aware of the shit I eat. Since I started counting calories I've lost almost 20 lbs, but I still crave fast food and crap snacka, but when the numbers are right there in my face it's more like "nah, I can have that tomorrow" our whatever. I still have fast food, but once a week at most and if I do I pretty much eat only vegetables or other light foods for the rest of the day.

I'd definitely be interested in some delicious healthy watmm recipes!

I wanted to try calorie counting but I don't know how I'm supposed to know the amounts of everything I eat. I mean it's fine if you eat everything pre-made because it's printed on the packaging but if you are trying to eat healthily generally you are making it yourself. Am I really expected to weigh my cornflakes and measure the volume of milk?

The app that I'm using is called Noom, and it bases everything off of like 1/2 a handful of vegetables, a heaping handful of oatmeal etc, makes it much easier imo. Especially when I eat dinner at the cafeteria at work (hospital) so often.

Guest fiznuthian

^ I make mad fruit smoothies at home, but good fruit typically isn't cheap around here, and neither are yogurt or almond milk or any of the other ingredients I usually use.

yeah i hate that fruit is on the pricy side.

it would be nice to go smoothie crazy

all day and every day.

growing your own ingredients would make smoothies a seasonal treat rather than routine food..

could make hydroponic berries maybe

overeating, and frequent hunger are actually signs that the two hormones controlling hunger are malfunctioning.

the hormones ghrelin and leptin are the hormones involved, and their interplay depends heavily on the activity on insulin post-meal.

basically you're eating foods that are devoid of nutrition, but that's not the worst part.

the simple carbs that constitute junk food wreak havok on your body's ability to maintain blood sugar, insulin, blood pressure, and healthy (NOT low) levels of healthy cholesterol.

the end result is that ghrelin and leptin fail to perform their jobs properly, and the simple carbs turn into glucose then distributed over-abundantly to the rest of you.

30 minutes later you are starving again, and may feel varying degrees of weakness, tiredness, and fatigue.

so here's your solution and its really the only one:

ignore the USDA pyramid..

eat plenty of meat, vegetables, fruits in that order followed by nuts, grain, et al

to ward off hunger:

eat the combination of saturated fat and protein, a combo which is most effective for keeping your hunger at bay

vegetable oils are not healthy fats

for bonus points:

go cooking crazy with coconut oil, your intestinal tract will thank you for the saturated lauric fatty acid you just dumped into it.

its even better if you're an athlete.

and eat the majority of your carbs following fat/protein to reduce glycemic load..

while grapes are one of the healthiest fruits on the planet, gobbling a bunch down on their own can send blood sugar soaring

lastly, if you are an athlete who exercises frequently ignore most of what i just said. there's a lot more to sports nutrition,

cycling foods and such pre and post.. not as much to worry about overdoing unless you're shooting for peak performance and tightening down your diet.

woah thx. I am going to put this into practice.

Guest fiznuthian

because grain is subsidized so heavily by our government that its unreasonable for them to suggest to people to switch meat/veggie heavy diets right now.

it doesn't support their interests, and truth is it would take a radical redesign of our the industry.

there's a large body of scientists in dispute with USDA and FDA view of our food supply, much like how the pharmaceutical industry takes shit all of the time now for having monetary interests high on corporate priorities. nutritionists often follow USDA/FDA advice blindly because its what they have been taught to be true, but believe me there is a LOT of damning research being conducted right now in many fields. its scary.

but if you can afford to eat meat, veg, fruit, and such it is in fact healthier to do so.

most people don't have too much trouble, and now that local farming is on the rise its making it easier for those who aren't dirt poor to access cheaper and healthier food.

its a simple way of approaching food, and if you're creative or like to cook, not very discouraging.

Guest Sprigg

all day and every day.

growing your own ingredients would make smoothies a seasonal treat rather than routine food..

I haven't looked into hydroponics too much, but I've definitely been considering it. How cost-effective is it once it's started?

We have a garden going in the yard, with tomatoes, green and yellow peppers, habaneros, cerranos and jalapenos, parsley, basil, rosemary, cucumber, zucchini and cantaloupe, and then we have strawberries on the side of the house.

Guest fiznuthian

shit, also need to add that i bring up grain because its the source for where most foods originate in the modern supermarket.

the agricultural revolution made grain the staple of human diet, and now there isn't an easy way back.

corn -> HFCS, oils, etc

wheat -> breads, breading, etc.

where would the junk food industry be without these grains?

see, it would be very, very difficult for the USDA/FDA and even the WHO (because its not just a dilemann we face in America, the world depends on grain) to support a differing dietary view, especially one that rejects grain as being healthy even in whole, unrefined form.

you won't hear much about carbohydrate restriction much yet from those organizations because grain is also primarily a carbohydrate form of energy.

by choosing to restrict carbs to vegetable and fruit sources, you may pay more for your food than someone who subsists on cheap grain based products.

its not advice they can give to everyone because not everyone is able to afford it yet.

Guest fiznuthian

all day and every day.

I haven't looked into hydroponics too much, but I've definitely been considering it. How cost-effective is it once it's started?

We have a garden going in the yard, with tomatoes, green and yellow peppers, habaneros, cerranos and jalapenos, parsley, basil, rosemary, cucumber, zucchini and cantaloupe, and then we have strawberries on the side of the house.

I have a hydroponics system I built at home, probably spent near 600-800 dollars on it, but most of that money was spent on random things i didn't need or wasn't necessary.

It's extremely cost effective, using florescent lighting or HID lights you can grow more vegetables than you can eat anywhere from $5 to $40 USD/month

depending on your approach.

The startup cost can range anywhere from a home-made $30 dollar tub/PVC system from home depot to thousands of dollars for a environmentally controlled growroom,

but regardless hydroponics always ends up paying for itself if you keep it running and producing food. ;)

That reminds me, i've been meaning to post my hydro system videos in the gardening thread that popped up lately..

i'm quite proud of what i built, it's pretty IDM i think.

Guest Sprigg

all day and every day.

I have a hydroponics system I built at home, probably spent near 600-800 dollars on it, but most of that money was spent on random things i didn't need or wasn't necessary.

It's extremely cost effective, using florescent lighting or HID lights you can grow more vegetables than you can eat anywhere from $5 to $40 USD/month

The startup cost can range anywhere from a home-made $30 dollar tub/PVC system from home depot to thousands of dollars for a environmentally controlled growroom,

but regardless hydroponics always ends up paying for itself if you keep it running and producing food. ;)

That reminds me, i've been meaning to post my hydro system videos in the gardening thread that popped up lately..

Awesome, man. I may be moving in a week or two, so it'll be awesome to be able to cheaply grow my own veggies. Any sites/books with good cheap ideas along those 30-dollar-ghetto-pvc-pipe type lines?

Guest fiznuthian

all day and every day.

Awesome, man. I may be moving in a week or two, so it'll be awesome to be able to cheaply grow my own veggies. Any sites/books with good cheap ideas along those 30-dollar-ghetto-pvc-pipe type lines?

i'm going biking in the mountains for a bit in a minute,

but i'll send you an e-book or two when i get back.

its like a textbook for hydroponic gardening, and has organic hydro covered too.

youtube has a lot of tutorial videos too, a lot of basic ones that cover the concepts.

Guest Sprigg

all day and every day.

i'm going biking in the mountains for a bit in a minute,

but i'll send you an e-book or two when i get back.

its like a textbook for hydroponic gardening, and has organic hydro covered too.

youtube has a lot of tutorial videos too, a lot of basic ones that cover the concepts.

Right on. Thanks mate!

Guest theSun

just had a sandwich that is:

3 pieces of bread

2 pieces of thick smoked provolone

4 pieces thin salami

2 pieces thin ham

3 pieces thin turkey

2 gobs of lettuce

full fat mayo

this is a pretty healthy meal for me.

Guest AcrossCanyons