IGNORED

JAZZ - THE THREAD

halisray

I just got John Coltrane's A Love Supreme as well as Miles Davis' Kind of Blue.

Can anyone here make other suggestions of great jazz albums? Never knew I would like jazz but in fact I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

• Like 1

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

usually i don't say this but there are 100 jazz threads in which the same albums are always recommended

might as well pin a jazz thread here or a classical thread

- Eric Dolphy - Out to Lunch

This is, hands down, essential shit for the beginning jazz fan to check out. Go get it, now. Tony Williams is drumming, he is great and an inspiration. This album in general is a major inspiration for many who hear it.

- Pharaoh Sanders - Karma

This is some of the most mindblowing music ever put on audio. You just have to listen to the whole thing nonstop, and you have to meld your brain with it. It will take you to other places, expand yourself with this.

- Thelonious Monk - Underground

Most people will recommend Brilliant Corners. I recommend Underground. I like it more, it showcases his piano playing instead of people blowing on horns. I've never liked Brilliant Corners.

- Miles Davis - Miles Smiles

When You get down 2 it this is probably Miles deepest, most pure and great period. At least that's how I feel. The quintet. Herbie Hancock is on this album and E.S.P. and another. No rock, a mixture of free and standard jazz from earlier. Tony Williams is also on this.

- Andrew Hill - Point of Departure

Has a lot in common with the Eric Dolphy album. This shit is just essential, don't know what else to say. It goes far, far out, as do many of these albums. But it's got these rhytmic complexities and the like - it's just good music that you need to hear if you want to.

to mix it up with some [slightly more] modern jazz which I know next to nothing about

- Anthony Braxton - Dortmond Quartet

Check it out. Martian territory. This guy is good

- AMM - Newfoundland

Extremely martian territory. These guys are absolutely great to listen to when everything else seems too human, too attached, too impure, too cool, too anything. These guys are truly the real deal, you will travel far, you must stretch your mind in some ways.

Edited by vamos scorcho

Thrust by Herbie Hancock which is my favourite Herbie Hancock release...Headhunter is awesome too.

Bitches Brew - Only Miles Davis I have but it's wonderful...

Sun Ra - Jazz in Silhouette - Amaaaazing, please check it out

• Like 1

Some not mentioned yet:

Mingus Ah Um

Sonny Rollins - Saxophone Colossus

Thelonius Monk - Brilliant Corners (fuck it, I like it. Max Roach is awesome on this)

Bobby Hutcherson - San Francisco

Charles Mingus - The Black Saint and The Sinner Lady

This is a religious experience.

But there are so many different types of jazz, it's hard to recommend things and not leave out something important. The best thing to do is just to dive in, find the sounds you're looking for, read about the musicians, the history, etc. I'm reading Miles Davis' autobiography right now, and I'm having a good time listening to his musical career in chronological order, and just skipping around. I love the second great quintet and fusion the most, from about 1963 to 1975.

Guest nene multiple assgasms

thelonious monk - monk's dream - the first I heard from him and possibly easier to get into than some of his earlier music.

charles mingus - the black saint and the sinner lady - this is the kind of album you obsess over.

duke ellington - at newport 1956 (complete) - you've gotta get the complete version for paul gonsalves' legendary sax solo

john coltrane - giant steps - one of his best albums, in part because he wrote all the tunes

jimmy smith & wes montgomery - jimmy & wes: the dynamic duo - great soul jazz organist and guitarist together

archie shepp - attica blues - free jazz/r&b crossover

cannonball adderley - mercy, mercy, mercy - incredible album supposedly recorded in a club but really recorded in the studio

miles davis - birth of the cool - not as cool as you might expect, but I guess that's because it was the beginning of the style

the quintet - jazz at massey hall - live album with charlie parker, dizzy gillespie, bud powell, charles mingus, and max roach - basically the perfect bebop band

there's a jazz/reggae thread because some big dummy thought it to be a good idea to lump the two together. seriously though, just search that shit.

Charles-Mingus-The-Black-Saint-And-The-Sinner-Lady.jpg

Yeah, Black Saint and the Sinner Lady is a must

I'll also second the recommendations for Bitches Brew, Underground, and Out to Lunch.

If this video/music tickles your fancy, then download Don Ellis's albums Electric Bath, Tears of Joy, and Soaring

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFf_190Vnr4

I don't listen to tons and tons of like, 60s jazz, which I know is considered THE jazz or whatever, but here are just a few favorites off the top of my head

modern:

Triosk Meets Jan Jelinek – 1+3+1

Polar Bear - Held On The Tips Of Fingers

old:

Django Reinhardt -Djangology (I know, it's an anthology, not an album, but it is all very good.

Louis Armstrong – The Complete Hot Five & Hot Seven Recordings (Earl Hines and Louis Armstrong in their early days, brilliant)

The Benny Goodman Quartet – Together Again!

Why has no one mentioned Wes Montgommery yet?... seriously get some Wes in your collection if you don't have any

WesMontgomeryD1-Cover.jpg

I just got John Coltrane's A Love Supreme as well as Miles Davis' Kind of Blue.

Can anyone here make other suggestions of great jazz albums? Never knew I would like jazz but in fact I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

these are two jazz classics. are you looking for more stuff in this realm? i mean, jazz is a pretty broad stroke. it helps to have a focus in on area if that is what you are searching for.

do you want jazz legends? classic? funk? abstract? current?

Jazz just seems like instrumental wank to me. It remains a genre of music I am very, very sceptical of, though no doubt there is the odd gem knocking about.

I went to a jazz club once, I never finished a beer so quickly lol. The place was filled with very strange characters trying very hard to be cool, which of course was quite comical. If I was stoned I would of been chucked out for laughing at everybody.

Different strokes, different folks I guess.

Edited by beerwolf

don't worry my wise friend, I know I am a philistine :wink:

I am hardly wise, I just hate it when people make generalizations about something I love. I don't go stomping into the stoner metal thread and talk about how lame and wanky it is, when I don't know a single thing about it.

I am hardly wise, I just hate it when people make generalizations about something I love. I don't go stomping into the stoner metal thread and talk about how lame and wanky it is, when I don't know a single thing about it.

^fuck yeah well said

I love these threads because the provide such a great jumping point for me to explore genres I of which I wouldn't know where to start.

Jazz just seems like instrumental wank to me.

and aphex twin, autechre et al are just electronic instrumental wank—but they don't even know how to play actual instruments nearly as well

Guest Greg Reason

Herbie Hancock is on this album and E.S.P. and another.

Herbie is on fucking mountains of Miles' albums, off the top of my head he's on In a Silent Way, Nefertiti, On the Corner, A Tribute to Jack Johnson, Miles in the Sky, My Funny Valentine, Live Evil, Water Babies

I swear to zombie jesus there was a thread just like this like three weeks ago.

every week on every music forum there is a new jazz thread in which the same albums are mentioned

Herbie Hancock is on this album and E.S.P. and another.

Herbie is on fucking mountains of Miles' albums, off the top of my head he's on In a Silent Way, Nefertiti, On the Corner, A Tribute to Jack Johnson, Miles in the Sky, My Funny Valentine, Live Evil, Water Babies

I didn't know that was him on On the Corner. good stuff. i've never listened to herbie on his own really though

^fuck yeah well said

I love these threads because the provide such a great jumping point for me to explore genres I of which I wouldn't know where to start.

Sometimes my posts should come with a disclaimer, explaining that sometimes what I say should be taken with a pinch of salt (not in a trolling way just a bit of a laugh). Seeing as I frequent forums and profess my love of Autechre, I thought it would be slightly obvious. No matter. Next patient please....

Edited by beerwolf

Jazz just seems like instrumental wank to me.

and aphex twin, autechre et al are just electronic instrumental wank—but they don't even know how to play actual instruments nearly as well

See disclaimer above.

Sorry for any offence.

But the Jazz club was funny as fuck and remains so. And no apologies for will be forth coming for my veiws on that.

Love

BW

Edited by beerwolf