• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

EricDolphy_MusicalProphet_500.jpg

Resonance Records is proud to announce the first official previously-unissued studio recordings of Eric Dolphy in over 30 years, including 85-minutes of never before released material. Musical Prophet: The Expanded 1963 New York Studio Sessions is being released in partnership with the Eric Dolphy Trust and the Alan Douglas Estate with remastered high-resolution monoaural audio transferred directly from the original tapes.

aptured after leaving Prestige/New Jazz Records, and just before recording the timeless classic Out to Lunch! album, Musical Prophet is a 3LP/3CD set that contains the under-appreciated masterpieces Conversations and Iron Man recorded in New York City on July 1 and 3, 1963. Originally produced by Alan Douglas — most well-known for his association with Jimi Hendrix, but who also produced classic jazz albums such as Money Jungle with Duke Ellington, Charles Mingus and Max Roach — the tapes had been stored in a suitcase with Dolphy’s personal belongings and given to Dolphy’s close friends Hale and Juanita Smith just before he embarked on his fateful European trip in 1964. Years later the contents of the suitcase were given to flutist/educator James Newton, who had developed a close relationship with his mentor Hale Smith and Hale’s wife Juanita in the late 1970s. Then in 2015, Newton connected with Zev Feldman at Resonance and they began working in conjunction with the Eric Dolphy Trust in Los Angeles on this definitive edition of Dolphy’s 1963 New York studio sessions. These tapes were recorded in mono, unlike the stereo versions that were used for the original studio albums and are the only known master sources in existence. [...]

https://resonancerecords.org/artists/eric-dolphy/

I'm quite new to jazz music, recently tried to give Bitches Brew another listen and it finally clicked.

The good thing is I started listening to more fusion jazz. Herbie's Thrust was an awesome listening, and so is Romantic Warrior by Return To Forever. If some jazzheads over here had any suggestions of albums in that vein to check and further expand my horizons I'd be thankful !

I'm quite new to jazz music, recently tried to give Bitches Brew another listen and it finally clicked.

The good thing is I started listening to more fusion jazz. Herbie's Thrust was an awesome listening, and so is Romantic Warrior by Return To Forever. If some jazzheads over here had any suggestions of albums in that vein to check and further expand my horizons I'd be thankful !

all Miles from 69-74 is solid gold for me.  especially Big Fun, Get Up With It, Jack Johnson.  Just ride that wild miles wave and see where it takes you.  When you need a chillout listen to In A Silent Way. That record has infinite replayability for me.  And if you really like one of them (Silent Way is the one for me) most have hours of "complete sessions" to immerse yourself in.

Edited by Marked x 0ne

all Miles from 69-74 is solid gold for me.  especially Big Fun, Get Up With It, Jack Johnson.  Just ride that wild miles wave and see where it takes you.  When you need a chillout listen to In A Silent Way. That record has infinite replayability for me.  And if you really like one of them (Silent Way is the one for me) most have hours of "complete sessions" to immerse yourself in.

Thanks ! I already fell into A Silent Way and yes it has awesome vibes. Currently checking those complete sessions as well haha.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

... just realized that I have bought more Miles Davis albums than albums by any other artists ....

so ... as a soft landing to "Electric Miles", this record that also bought serves well I think, and it's totally not Loops plus isolated themes, but done with piety and respect to the originals, remixed with 100% analog gear. like bass enhancement done with analog "frequency splitter" if memory serves ...

[yt]https://youtu.be/GpnM2nczctQ[/yt]

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Weather Report - Heavy Weather 

Herbie Hancock - Man-Child

Herbie Hancock - Thrust

Azymuth - Telecommunication

Anyways these are more kinda fusion / funk records which I prefer lol.

• Like 1