Join WATMM Now!

Register and Subscribe now for as little 3.00 USD for one year to gain Supporting Member access. We also have other subscription packages to choose from that grant you extra abilities and features.

A subscription is required in order to post, reply to posts, start topics, search, and other features.

By joining and subscribing, you are helping support the forums, as well enable us to add new features and enhancements (and maintain them).

Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

To sign up for a subscription package, click your user name in the upper right, and choose "Client Area". Then, choose a package that suits your needs.

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

JAZZ - THE THREAD

• Please log in to reply
543 replies to this topic

#51 jules

jules

Thaumaturge

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,913 posts
  • 247 topics
  • Joined 04-May 07

Posted 10 July 2011 - 10:29 AM

#52 Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina

Agent of D.I.C.K.H.E.A.D.

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,436 posts
  • 83 topics
  • Joined 16-March 07
  • Interests:respecting women

Posted 11 July 2011 - 06:16 PM

^ that is awesome. I'd give my right arm for 1/2 of illy b's talent :emotawesomepm9:

good man mr. dobalina.

I used to see them a ton, especially in the late 90s all around NYC. we used to go to the knitting factory every week to see them (Tuesday nights?) I remember seeing dj logic with them one of those weeks and before the show we were like wtf, they are going to play with a dj? wtf!!! at setbreak we were blazing with logic right at his turntable set up talking about music, it was great. what an eyeopener for me combining electronic beats with live improv jazz. i have probably seem them 30 or so times and it's great everytime.

lol, I can barely hold a candle to ya mate, I've only seen them 2.5 times - twice in providence (once with scofield :nyan: ), and then DJ Logic, Billy Martin and some other drummer doing an improv jam at a downstairs jazz club in boston. Some dude sitting one table over from us had a seizure, passed out, and fell from his chair right in the middle of the set. (he was ok after so it was :sup: )

Combustication is def my favorite of theirs, though I really have to make an eff to get around to some more of their stuff because I've probably only listened to about a 1/4 of their output. Do you know of any good live recordings/soundboards of theirs worth tracking down?

#53 kaini

kaini

eat your greens, especially broccoli.

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,845 posts
  • 603 topics
  • Joined 16-November 05
  • Steam:richard P feynman

Posted 11 July 2011 - 06:31 PM

holy shit. this morning i discovered the awesome punk band nomeansno for the first time
and just now i discovered that they sorta covered bits of bitches brew

Edited by kaini, 11 July 2011 - 06:32 PM.

#54 Candiru

Candiru

▓▓▒▒♪▒▒▒♫&

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,931 posts
  • 12 topics
  • Joined 09-August 09

Posted 11 July 2011 - 07:35 PM

:cat:

#55 jules

jules

Thaumaturge

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,913 posts
  • 247 topics
  • Joined 04-May 07

Posted 11 July 2011 - 08:00 PM

^ that is awesome. I'd give my right arm for 1/2 of illy b's talent :emotawesomepm9:

good man mr. dobalina.

I used to see them a ton, especially in the late 90s all around NYC. we used to go to the knitting factory every week to see them (Tuesday nights?) I remember seeing dj logic with them one of those weeks and before the show we were like wtf, they are going to play with a dj? wtf!!! at setbreak we were blazing with logic right at his turntable set up talking about music, it was great. what an eyeopener for me combining electronic beats with live improv jazz. i have probably seem them 30 or so times and it's great everytime.

lol, I can barely hold a candle to ya mate, I've only seen them 2.5 times - twice in providence (once with scofield :nyan: ), and then DJ Logic, Billy Martin and some other drummer doing an improv jam at a downstairs jazz club in boston. Some dude sitting one table over from us had a seizure, passed out, and fell from his chair right in the middle of the set. (he was ok after so it was :sup: )

Combustication is def my favorite of theirs, though I really have to make an eff to get around to some more of their stuff because I've probably only listened to about a 1/4 of their output. Do you know of any good live recordings/soundboards of theirs worth tracking down?

ooh yea, i saw a show on that scofield tour from a-go-go. i also saw medeski and wood with scofield with clyde stubblefield on drums. that was sick. I actually got to met chris wood a couple years ago in morristown, nj. hell of a nice guy, chatted for awhile, it was very cool.

here is a good soundboard i forgot i even had. i do have a bunch i can give you more if you'd like. i have a lot on tape (lol)

enjoy this one for now...

06/26/1999 Warsaw Jazz Festival, Poland

Jam
Chubb Sub
Coconut Boogaloo
Start/Stop
ITAHTLMJ
Seven Deadlies
Brigas Nunca Mais>
Rise Up
Blue Pepper (w/ Skerik)
Bubblehouse

http://mikeykeller.c...l-warsaw-poland

Edited by jules, 11 July 2011 - 08:01 PM.

#56 ieafs

ieafs

-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,264 posts
  • 57 topics
  • Joined 16-November 05

Posted 12 July 2011 - 04:00 AM

#57 Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,436 posts
  • 83 topics
  • Joined 16-March 07

Posted 12 July 2011 - 06:36 AM

ooh yea, i saw a show on that scofield tour from a-go-go. i also saw medeski and wood with scofield with clyde stubblefield on drums. that was sick. I actually got to met chris wood a couple years ago in morristown, nj. hell of a nice guy, chatted for awhile, it was very cool.

here is a good soundboard i forgot i even had. i do have a bunch i can give you more if you'd like. i have a lot on tape (lol)

enjoy this one for now...

06/26/1999 Warsaw Jazz Festival, Poland

Jam
Chubb Sub
Coconut Boogaloo
Start/Stop
ITAHTLMJ
Seven Deadlies
Brigas Nunca Mais>
Rise Up
Blue Pepper (w/ Skerik)
Bubblehouse

http://mikeykeller.c...l-warsaw-poland

Awesome, all over this. Thanks mang! :sup:

#58 Candiru

Candiru

▓▓▒▒♪▒▒▒♫&

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,931 posts
  • 12 topics
  • Joined 09-August 09

Posted 18 July 2011 - 03:18 PM

Austin Peralta. He's like 20. He's on Brainfeeder, and he plays the piano. His dad Stacy Peralta was one of the first major pro skateboarders and started the company Powell Peralta, which launched the careers of skateboarding legends Steve Caballero and Tony Hawk, among others.

Jazz and skateboarding. Skateboarding and jazz. :sup:

#59 Salvatorin

Salvatorin

Ebullience. Elegance.

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,481 posts
  • 172 topics
  • Joined 15-April 07
  • Interests:i lika pupies

Posted 20 July 2011 - 08:46 PM

I just got John Coltrane's A Love Supreme as well as Miles Davis' Kind of Blue.

Can anyone here make other suggestions of great jazz albums? Never knew I would like jazz but in fact I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

these are two jazz classics. are you looking for more stuff in this realm? i mean, jazz is a pretty broad stroke. it helps to have a focus in on area if that is what you are searching for.

do you want jazz legends? classic? funk? abstract? current?

Yeah and even then, both those albums were landmark albums that represented departures from the standard jazz. Modal, and Avant-Garde respectably. There is about 5 decades of music before the sixties that still counts as jazz. I mean you have cool jazz, bebop, swing, blues, ragtime, etc.

People looking to be introduced to jazz should start out with the easily digestible pop standards, because as is sometimes forgotten, jazz was the popular music of America for a good many years.

To put in perspective the way jazz works, here is a tune composed in 1935 by George Gershwin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7ENPQzlUpY-classic swing, 1936
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N090STPx-2M-cool jazz, 1958
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEjjL6CyBJI-rhythm & blues/early funk, 1965
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0LKiFTIEv4-jazz-rock fusion, 1970
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRvQmIrJd3U-smooth jazz(sorta), pretty sure from 80's
nnnyeah?

#60 impotentwhitecapitalist

impotentwhitecapitalist

Happy Cyclosa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,180 posts
  • 43 topics
  • Joined 18-January 10

Posted 22 July 2011 - 02:24 AM

#61 luke viia

luke viia

hate to say atoadaso

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,808 posts
  • 38 topics
  • Joined 29-October 09
  • Interests:dirt, leaves

Posted 22 July 2011 - 07:22 PM

proto-Shoba (1977)

#62 Candiru

Candiru

▓▓▒▒♪▒▒▒♫&

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,931 posts
  • 12 topics
  • Joined 09-August 09

Posted 23 July 2011 - 03:29 PM

From the Complete On The Corner Sessions.

Sounds more like Amon Duul ii or something than jazz, but hey, it's pretty :sup: anyway.

Edited by Candiru, 23 July 2011 - 03:32 PM.

#63 jules

jules

Thaumaturge

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,913 posts
  • 247 topics
  • Joined 04-May 07

Posted 24 July 2011 - 09:03 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cm_cFbbK4PY

From the Complete On The Corner Sessions.

Sounds more like Amon Duul ii or something than jazz, but hey, it's pretty :sup: anyway.

that is probably the best set of the miles complete sessions series. a+ material the whole way.

#64 Candiru

Candiru

▓▓▒▒♪▒▒▒♫&

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,931 posts
  • 12 topics
  • Joined 09-August 09

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:41 PM

It really is the tits. It's crazy how much of the picture you'd miss if you never dive into the Complete Sessions.

#65 Guest_Ricky Downtown_*

Guest_Ricky Downtown_*
  • Guests
  • 247 topics
  • Joined --

Posted 25 July 2011 - 04:13 PM

been sharing this with a lot of people, thought i would share it with you watmm

Edited by Ricky Downtown, 25 July 2011 - 04:13 PM.

#66 jules

jules

Thaumaturge

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,913 posts
  • 347 topics
  • Joined 04-May 07

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:13 PM

It really is the tits. It's crazy how much of the picture you'd miss if you never dive into the Complete Sessions.

yea even for just the unedited versions of stuff. all the session material is just overwhelming. really fantastic.

have you heard the jack Johnson sessions set? that was my first favorite miles album and I haven't checked that one out yet.

#67 J3FF3R00

J3FF3R00

2K, On My Way

• Supporting Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,803 posts
  • 12 topics
  • Joined 13-April 07
  • Interests:reading the rules

Posted 25 July 2011 - 11:36 PM

#68 Candiru

Candiru

▓▓▒▒♪▒▒▒♫&

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,931 posts
  • 247 topics
  • Joined 09-August 09

Posted 26 July 2011 - 03:00 PM

yea even for just the unedited versions of stuff. all the session material is just overwhelming. really fantastic.

have you heard the jack Johnson sessions set? that was my first favorite miles album and I haven't checked that one out yet.

The only reason I haven't checked that one out is because it seems to be made up largely of versions of songs I already have that are on the Directions compilation, Big Fun, or Live/Evil. But now that I check again there's some stuff that's new to me. I mean, all of Get Up With It is in Complete On The Corner but there's like hours of new stuff too. He made too much music - too much of a good thing!

#69 jules

jules

Thaumaturge

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,913 posts
  • 83 topics
  • Joined 04-May 07

Posted 26 July 2011 - 06:44 PM

The only reason I haven't checked that one out is because it seems to be made up largely of versions of songs I already have that are on the Directions compilation, Big Fun, or Live/Evil. But now that I check again there's some stuff that's new to me. I mean, all of Get Up With It is in Complete On The Corner but there's like hours of new stuff too. He made too much music - too much of a good thing!

if you don't have the cellar door live boxset, i highly recommend that. very very sick. has john mcglaughlin on it too for bonus points.

#70 Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,436 posts
  • 247 topics
  • Joined 16-March 07

Posted 27 July 2011 - 10:15 AM

Shit yeah, those Miles complete sessions sets are hella intimidating. The wife got me the complete Second Quintet (65-68) set :wub: which is a little more digestible as it's spread across several proper (and awesome) albums. I love In a Silent Way, Bitches Brew, Jack Johnson, and On the Corner so maybe I'll take a crack at the full sessions one at a time... that cellar door one looks pretty sweet too, thanks for the protip

#71 jules

jules

Thaumaturge

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,913 posts
  • 275 topics
  • Joined 04-May 07

Posted 27 July 2011 - 11:51 AM

Shit yeah, those Miles complete sessions sets are hella intimidating. The wife got me the complete Second Quintet (65-68) set :wub: which is a little more digestible as it's spread across several proper (and awesome) albums. I love In a Silent Way, Bitches Brew, Jack Johnson, and On the Corner so maybe I'll take a crack at the full sessions one at a time... that cellar door one looks pretty sweet too, thanks for the protip

you cant go wrong with any of those dude

#72 vamos scorcho

vamos scorcho

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,608 posts
  • 8 topics
  • Joined 11-March 07

Posted 06 August 2011 - 01:46 PM

Posted Image

what more can one say

#73 Wyern

Wyern

//&%N&/(()=

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 373 posts
  • 275 topics
  • Joined 30-April 08

Posted 06 August 2011 - 02:18 PM

I don't listen to much Jazz but Jason Moran - Ten, released last year was great.

I'll check out some of the stuff mentioned here, there's just too much music :D at least now I know where to start.

Edited by Wyern, 06 August 2011 - 02:19 PM.

#74 vamos scorcho

vamos scorcho

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,608 posts
  • 43 topics
  • Joined 11-March 07

Posted 09 August 2011 - 06:10 PM

Posted Image

what more can one say

Not joking, this is one of the greatest things I've ever heard. Up there next to Pharoah Sanders - Karma for the mindblowing freedom of expression and sort of forceful extremism. I'm brought to a state of ecstasy from the peaks.

11:20 to about 15:00 is the single greatest guitar solo ever played in the history of man

It has been described as 'Stockhausen Funk.' And that's a really cool term for it. Transcendent work.

an article about this period in Miles Davis's career.

http://www.headherit...ofthemonth/359/

#75 impotentwhitecapitalist

impotentwhitecapitalist

Happy Cyclosa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,180 posts
  • Joined 18-January 10

Posted 09 August 2011 - 08:44 PM

^ thank you