IGNORED

JAZZ - THE THREAD

halisray

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, it's good shit. any other recommendations of recent stuff? aside from mmw, the bad plus and fly, I've not gotten that into much current stuff.

here's a great fly tune:

yeah, it's good shit. any other recommendations of recent stuff? aside from mmw, the bad plus and fly, I've not gotten that into much current stuff.

here's a great fly tune:

oh man, love MT too

guess we got similar music g-spots

i mean, recent stuff...hmm

a good place to start is to look at the folks who orbit the folks you already like

so mark turner

he hangs with kurt rosenwinkel, dan weiss, miles okazaki, ari hoenig (i think, right?) marcus gilmore, avashai cohen (the trumpeter), gilad hekselman, jeff ballard, david binney, baptiste trotignon (mt and bt did an awesome piano/tenor duet album...great chamber-ish tango vibe ), stefano bollani, etc

mary halverson's part of the greenleaf records crew...dave douglas, miguel zenon, linda oh, donny mccaslin, jd allen, kirk knuffle, etc

speaking of dave douglas, he just released an electo-acoustic album with shigeto (!!!) and mark guiliana (!!!) called "high risk"....i mean, holy fucking shit

i've sort-of lost faith in jazz proper...music that can unambiguously be called jazz...imo everything that once made jazz great has migrated elsewhere...there's plenty of exceptions of course but if i hear any 4/4 shit in new jazz i tend to roll my eyes and make a wanking gesture (this coming from someone who spent most of their life studying jazz)...jazz has a nostalgia problem...the vast majority of jazz musicians study the language of the 50's and 60's (as one should) BUT then they stop their study there, and simply play bop 2.0 for the rest of their career...i want to hear schizophrenic drug addicts make jazz...i don't wanna hear some middle-aged republican in a nice suit playing straight bop over a slightly-reharmed rhythm changes....that shit can die a painful death

Can anyone remind me some albums similar to Herbie Hancock's "Dis is da drum"???

I like the fusion of the jazz instrumentation (especially Herbie's piano playing) with the fully fleshed out beats.

I'm a fan of hancock's earlier work (heard almost half his discography this weekend, not even exaggerating) but that album in particular struck me as something I can get into....

watmm pls baby help lol. I googled but my research skills are apparently shite.

Edited by StephenG

i thought i was in for cool things, and then it just led up to some keybaord soloing jam rather than a pre thought out tour de bourse.

nice trollin' there mr.

Can anyone remind me some albums similar to Herbie Hancock's "Dis is da drum"???

thats track makes me think of someone riffing over Soul II Soul era 'Fairplay', or a more beat-heavy Womack & Womack 'Teardrops' vibe at times, so not really jazz lol

Hermeto Pascoal works in the summer,,,,,,,

Definitely not straight up jazz, you're right. I didn't know where else to post it though! I really like that album but can't find anything like it. Some of the piano solos are nuts =/

lol

I actually listened to sextant last night and didn't like it. I didn't really understand what he was going for.

I'm not discounting it but first impression wasn't good.

Been digging Gilad Hekselman lately. He's amazing. Check out his counterpart stuff on this tune:

So many amazing, innovative players in this current generation of jazz musicians.

dude, you like what you like. i'm just picky about guitar (and everything else everywhere at anytime) and that guy was ... yea well you got the message from the earlier post. [-; don't worry you limpy head about it.. :sorcerer:

dude, you like what you like. i'm just picky about guitar (and everything else everywhere at anytime) and that guy was ... yea well you got the message from the earlier post. [-; don't worry you limpy head about it.. :sorcerer:

I mean, it's a ballad.

I know you like the bop and post-bop dude...but even if you don't like modern dudes, they're still worth studying for chops and ideas. There weren't a ton of jazz guitarists doing counterpoint before this current generation. You got George Van Epps, Jimmy Wyble, Lenny Breau, Ted Greene (I learned alot from this lately) and maybe a few other dudes. But mostly you just had dudes like Barney Kessell and Joe Pass, who sorta hinted at counterpoint, but didn't really have a fleshed-out approach to it.

And even among pianists, nobody could really improvise counterpoint in any serious way before Brad Mehldau.

Delet...do you like Julian Lage?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFl5dkoqJYc