IGNORED

JAZZ - THE THREAD

halisray

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ that is awesome. I'd give my right arm for 1/2 of illy b's talent :emotawesomepm9:

good man mr. dobalina.

I used to see them a ton, especially in the late 90s all around NYC. we used to go to the knitting factory every week to see them (Tuesday nights?) I remember seeing dj logic with them one of those weeks and before the show we were like wtf, they are going to play with a dj? wtf!!! at setbreak we were blazing with logic right at his turntable set up talking about music, it was great. what an eyeopener for me combining electronic beats with live improv jazz. i have probably seem them 30 or so times and it's great everytime.

lol, I can barely hold a candle to ya mate, I've only seen them 2.5 times - twice in providence (once with scofield :nyan: ), and then DJ Logic, Billy Martin and some other drummer doing an improv jam at a downstairs jazz club in boston. Some dude sitting one table over from us had a seizure, passed out, and fell from his chair right in the middle of the set. (he was ok after so it was :sup: )

Combustication is def my favorite of theirs, though I really have to make an eff to get around to some more of their stuff because I've probably only listened to about a 1/4 of their output. Do you know of any good live recordings/soundboards of theirs worth tracking down?

^ that is awesome. I'd give my right arm for 1/2 of illy b's talent :emotawesomepm9:

good man mr. dobalina.

I used to see them a ton, especially in the late 90s all around NYC. we used to go to the knitting factory every week to see them (Tuesday nights?) I remember seeing dj logic with them one of those weeks and before the show we were like wtf, they are going to play with a dj? wtf!!! at setbreak we were blazing with logic right at his turntable set up talking about music, it was great. what an eyeopener for me combining electronic beats with live improv jazz. i have probably seem them 30 or so times and it's great everytime.

lol, I can barely hold a candle to ya mate, I've only seen them 2.5 times - twice in providence (once with scofield :nyan: ), and then DJ Logic, Billy Martin and some other drummer doing an improv jam at a downstairs jazz club in boston. Some dude sitting one table over from us had a seizure, passed out, and fell from his chair right in the middle of the set. (he was ok after so it was :sup: )

Combustication is def my favorite of theirs, though I really have to make an eff to get around to some more of their stuff because I've probably only listened to about a 1/4 of their output. Do you know of any good live recordings/soundboards of theirs worth tracking down?

ooh yea, i saw a show on that scofield tour from a-go-go. i also saw medeski and wood with scofield with clyde stubblefield on drums. that was sick. I actually got to met chris wood a couple years ago in morristown, nj. hell of a nice guy, chatted for awhile, it was very cool.

here is a good soundboard i forgot i even had. i do have a bunch i can give you more if you'd like. i have a lot on tape (lol)

enjoy this one for now...

06/26/1999 Warsaw Jazz Festival, Poland

Jam

Chubb Sub

Coconut Boogaloo

Start/Stop

ITAHTLMJ

Seven Deadlies

Brigas Nunca Mais>

Rise Up

Blue Pepper (w/ Skerik)

Bubblehouse

http://mikeykeller.com/medeski-martin-wood-06261999-warsaw-jazz-festival-warsaw-poland

Edited by jules

ooh yea, i saw a show on that scofield tour from a-go-go. i also saw medeski and wood with scofield with clyde stubblefield on drums. that was sick. I actually got to met chris wood a couple years ago in morristown, nj. hell of a nice guy, chatted for awhile, it was very cool.

here is a good soundboard i forgot i even had. i do have a bunch i can give you more if you'd like. i have a lot on tape (lol)

enjoy this one for now...

06/26/1999 Warsaw Jazz Festival, Poland

Jam

Chubb Sub

Coconut Boogaloo

Start/Stop

ITAHTLMJ

Seven Deadlies

Brigas Nunca Mais>

Rise Up

Blue Pepper (w/ Skerik)

Bubblehouse

http://mikeykeller.com/medeski-martin-wood-06261999-warsaw-jazz-festival-warsaw-poland

Awesome, all over this. Thanks mang! :sup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E3WyWiWnUM

Austin Peralta. He's like 20. He's on Brainfeeder, and he plays the piano. His dad Stacy Peralta was one of the first major pro skateboarders and started the company Powell Peralta, which launched the careers of skateboarding legends Steve Caballero and Tony Hawk, among others.

Jazz and skateboarding. Skateboarding and jazz. :sup:

I just got John Coltrane's A Love Supreme as well as Miles Davis' Kind of Blue.

Can anyone here make other suggestions of great jazz albums? Never knew I would like jazz but in fact I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

these are two jazz classics. are you looking for more stuff in this realm? i mean, jazz is a pretty broad stroke. it helps to have a focus in on area if that is what you are searching for.

do you want jazz legends? classic? funk? abstract? current?

Yeah and even then, both those albums were landmark albums that represented departures from the standard jazz. Modal, and Avant-Garde respectably. There is about 5 decades of music before the sixties that still counts as jazz. I mean you have cool jazz, bebop, swing, blues, ragtime, etc.

People looking to be introduced to jazz should start out with the easily digestible pop standards, because as is sometimes forgotten, jazz was the popular music of America for a good many years.

To put in perspective the way jazz works, here is a tune composed in 1935 by George Gershwin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7ENPQzlUpY-classic swing, 1936

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N090STPx-2M-cool jazz, 1958

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEjjL6CyBJI-rhythm & blues/early funk, 1965

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0LKiFTIEv4-jazz-rock fusion, 1970

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRvQmIrJd3U-smooth jazz(sorta), pretty sure from 80's

nnnyeah?

It really is the tits. It's crazy how much of the picture you'd miss if you never dive into the Complete Sessions.

It really is the tits. It's crazy how much of the picture you'd miss if you never dive into the Complete Sessions.

yea even for just the unedited versions of stuff. all the session material is just overwhelming. really fantastic.

have you heard the jack Johnson sessions set? that was my first favorite miles album and I haven't checked that one out yet.

yea even for just the unedited versions of stuff. all the session material is just overwhelming. really fantastic.

have you heard the jack Johnson sessions set? that was my first favorite miles album and I haven't checked that one out yet.

The only reason I haven't checked that one out is because it seems to be made up largely of versions of songs I already have that are on the Directions compilation, Big Fun, or Live/Evil. But now that I check again there's some stuff that's new to me. I mean, all of Get Up With It is in Complete On The Corner but there's like hours of new stuff too. He made too much music - too much of a good thing!

The only reason I haven't checked that one out is because it seems to be made up largely of versions of songs I already have that are on the Directions compilation, Big Fun, or Live/Evil. But now that I check again there's some stuff that's new to me. I mean, all of Get Up With It is in Complete On The Corner but there's like hours of new stuff too. He made too much music - too much of a good thing!

if you don't have the cellar door live boxset, i highly recommend that. very very sick. has john mcglaughlin on it too for bonus points.

Shit yeah, those Miles complete sessions sets are hella intimidating. The wife got me the complete Second Quintet (65-68) set :wub: which is a little more digestible as it's spread across several proper (and awesome) albums. I love In a Silent Way, Bitches Brew, Jack Johnson, and On the Corner so maybe I'll take a crack at the full sessions one at a time... that cellar door one looks pretty sweet too, thanks for the protip

Shit yeah, those Miles complete sessions sets are hella intimidating. The wife got me the complete Second Quintet (65-68) set :wub: which is a little more digestible as it's spread across several proper (and awesome) albums. I love In a Silent Way, Bitches Brew, Jack Johnson, and On the Corner so maybe I'll take a crack at the full sessions one at a time... that cellar door one looks pretty sweet too, thanks for the protip

you cant go wrong with any of those dude

• 2 weeks later...

I don't listen to much Jazz but Jason Moran - Ten, released last year was great.

I'll check out some of the stuff mentioned here, there's just too much music :D at least now I know where to start.

Edited by Wyern

album-agharta.jpg

what more can one say

Not joking, this is one of the greatest things I've ever heard. Up there next to Pharoah Sanders - Karma for the mindblowing freedom of expression and sort of forceful extremism. I'm brought to a state of ecstasy from the peaks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3HH5M-hZ-A

11:20 to about 15:00 is the single greatest guitar solo ever played in the history of man

It has been described as 'Stockhausen Funk.' And that's a really cool term for it. Transcendent work.

an article about this period in Miles Davis's career.

http://www.headheritage.co.uk/unsung/albumofthemonth/359/

And the crazy thing about Agharta was that it was one of TWO albums like that recorded that day. It was recorded in the afternoon, and Pangaea was recorded in the evening. I'm listening to Pangaea right now, and it's every bit as face-melting.