JAZZ - THE THREAD

halisray

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

shameless self promo; adjustable ticket

but hey

it's free jazz,all live in front of an audience no rehearsal.

featuring the great daniel carter on horns.

myself on the guitar.

we will be releasing a mixed and mastered lp this year.

this is unmastered, unmixed a 2 track"soundboard"

enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E3WyWiWnUM

Austin Peralta. He's like 20. He's on Brainfeeder, and he plays the piano. His dad Stacy Peralta was one of the first major pro skateboarders and started the company Powell Peralta, which launched the careers of skateboarding legends Steve Caballero and Tony Hawk, among others.

Jazz and skateboarding. Skateboarding and jazz. :sup:

<3

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Timewriter

I just got John Coltrane's A Love Supreme as well as Miles Davis' Kind of Blue.

Can anyone here make other suggestions of great jazz albums? Never knew I would like jazz but in fact I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

Well, you've got a good foundation. :wink:

Where the hell do you start with a century's-worth of music? I'm assuming you'll prefer 'modern', ie post-war, so I must recommend anything by Charlie Parker if I'm being chronological.

Coltrane's 'Giant Steps' album. And you can't go wrong with anything by him on the Atlantic label.

Mingus has already been mentioned. Try 'Ah Um'.

The Blue Note label (every home should have some): Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers, Horace Silver, Lee Morgan.

Sun Ra (essential!) Test the 50s stuff, unless you want to hop straight on Rocket Number Nine, in which case anything starting from the mid-60s.

The Art Ensemble of Chicago. Try 'Message To Our Folks'.

If you're serious you can say what hits the spot as you explore, which'll make recommendations easier.

Enjoy the journey!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest murphythecat8

my first post!

I have started my journey with electronica. My favorites are Aphex twin and Kettel. I have been before a big fan of psytrance but for me IDM is just way more interesting.

I have been listening to jazz quite heavily this last year. I now listen probably 75% of the time to jazz. As I am a fan of shpongle or kettel or aphex twin ect, it is fair to say that I love my music to be musically challeging. I like music that makes me go deep in the music and gets lost. I also like my music to be weird and unnusual with beats that really are fucked up. You dont get that often in jazz. While I love the jazz drums I still prefer the breakbeats/idm drums. As a trade-off, jazz offers a much more interesting bass and well melodies to die for imo. anyways Im not here to say that jazz is better then IDM because its not but the difference is that they are a lot more stuff I dig. In idm I can only listen to aphex and kettel all the time. wisp and other artist that I dig like squarepusher are being played but less often. anyways. heres my recommendation for jazz. I have dig and followed some people that used to see those cats playing in the early 50s.

One rule. if you want to listen to my suggestions. dont skip a song are go the fast forward way. listen to the entire record and repeat and then judge. dont do like I did towards jazz. jazz just like aphex twin need to be appreciate from beginning to end. at least the songs. If I fast forward any aphex songs the songs is killed.

Miles Davis is a important part of jazz and for a reason. I think that most people into idm will dig is later stuff from 69 to 75. heres my highest choice for miles work:

1- In a silent way

2- on the corner

3- Agharta/pangaea

4- Kind of blue

5- Workin

John Coltrane. hes my favorite. the impulse stuff is all stellars. Elvin jones, coltrane drummer, brings that idmish drums. I get lost in his drum and can hear only him. Coltrane is the most unique, psychadelics, interesting soloist of all time imo.

heres my choice:

1- Ole

2- Africa

3- A love supreme

4- Giant steps

5- Live at birdland:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j_TDoOPnIA

In jazz you often choose the players you like. A drummer I appreciate is billy higgins: he plays in the following. all recommended and are all important in jazz incendently.

Jackie mclean (one of my favorites alto) and billy higgins:

Let freedom Ring

Right now!

JAckie mclean without billy but pretty much interesting for any idm lovers:

Destination out!

One step beyond

Herbie hancock from 1970 to 1975:

Headhunters!!!!!!!! this record was one of the first "jazz" but more funk record:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0GeduK17Ts&feature=related

sextant

crossing

mwandishi

Eric dolphy-out to lunch. Took my a while to appreciate. I needed to be stone I think :).

Those two will be harder to understand for most but they are really interesting. I shouldnt name them but this is for hardcore people not afraid to go all in.

Lennie Tristano: hes the most intriguing and hard to follow piano player. It took me a while to get him. I think hes the most hardcore but touching soul of jazz. hes got something magic. hes probably my favorite jazz player and probably my favorite artist. this will be hard to understand maybe but hes got something magic. just like aphex twin or kettel. Every song they make are brillant well Lennie is the same thing.

1- Crosscurrents. This a bit harder to get but his piano solos are imo as psychadelic and interesting as anything. hes doing sort of ups and down so unique that I get totally fucked by just hearing him play those tricky lines. Really interesting player

Art tatum:

Just listens to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaPeks0H3_s

Oh btw Im a big smoker and well I think that jazz gets appreciated easily with some ganja!

Other personnal favorites:

Sonny rollins- Saxophone Colossus

Thelenious Monk- Brillant corners. A milestone. a brillant brillant record

Grant green- idle moments and also Feelin the spirit.

Charles mingus:

Blues and roots.

Black saints.

Ah Um!

Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blue

Wayne Shorter -Speak No Evil

Art Blakey - Moanin

For some vocal stuff:

Jimi hendrix- Are you experienced!

Gil scott heron: Pieces of a man. My favorite record of all time.

cheers

jason

Edited by murphythecat8

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there! I came here to post about my latest discovery, anyone into hard bop should definitely check this out! I think the last time I got as much excited about a record it was Coltrane's Blue Train, or maybe Art Blakey's Moanin'... Anyway the guy's called Gaël Horellou, here's the link to his version of Dizzy's Con Alma:

http://www.deezer.com/it/music/track/14958945

His arrangement for the sextet is excellent, and in case you don't know Spanish, "con alma" means "with soul", and well that's what this version is full. The record it's from ("Live!") is one of the most vivid records I've ever heard, and in my opinion Gaël is one of the best jazzmen alive, the thing is it's very difficult for jazzmen to get public recognition because jazz doesn't make money but it's great to know that there are still people releasing incredible hard bop as powerful as the fifties to sixties' best!

CHECK HIM OUT (and *buy* his records :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Rz911

Not sure that this is the right thread but anyways. Recently discovered this little loungey Bossa Nova gem;

Can anyone reccomend anything similar? I'm not a massive jazz head aside from a few Herbie and Miles Davis tracks, and my Bossa Nova knowledge extends to Astrud Gilberto and that's about it. Absolutely love the sound though.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Ricky Downtown

just came here to say, any jazz-lover must have at least one Billy Strayhorn record! he is the real genius behind many of Ellington's greatest tunes!!

if you can find a copy of this book, read it:

lushlife169.jpg

Composer of Take The A Train, Passion Flower, Day Dream, The Newport Jazz Suite, Chelsea Bridge, Star Crossed Lovers and many more

Edited by Ricky Downtown