IGNORED

do you work out?

oyster

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the advice guys, I'm feeling pretty determined.

Adieu, I'm thinking yoga might be worth looking into also :beer:

Now I'm wondering the reason people on here work out. Is it to look good more than feel good or vice versa?

My mentality is this: No one is going to tell me I can't do something. I won't allow myself to feel crippled by my physical limitations. I walk because I love walking, but also because it keeps me fit. I keep an eye on my weight because, honestly, when I was slightly on the heavier side I felt vulnerable.

Maybe that makes me a bit of a nervous sparrow, constantly looking out for danger, but hey.

Plus I look hilariously ridiculous when I am heavier: think twiglet wearing a polo mint around it's middle.

what do you eat/drink before a run? I usually just get hungry or have to pee.

finished my first official half marathon today in Berlin with 1:43. it wasn't too hard except for the last 5k when I noticed a huge blister on my small left toe and I started to get hungry after running past a carnival with BBQ and cotton candy...

I did 5:30min/km for the first 10k and then slowly started to increase my speed, which was a pretty good tactic I suppose..

Nice one, wish I could get that time. I'd like to pick up my pace a bit I think. I'll try your idea. I didn't eat or drink anything really, just water as I went round. Probably a stupid idea but I've always run in the morning at the gym before work without eating. I'm just never hungry in the morning.

Found quite a few people online with the same problem as me and the tips seem to be: eat something like a banana about 15-30 minutes before setting off and have an energy bar a bit over half way. Obviously water too but not too much.

Thanks for the advice guys, I'm feeling pretty determined.

Adieu, I'm thinking yoga might be worth looking into also :beer:

Now I'm wondering the reason people on here work out. Is it to look good more than feel good or vice versa?

My mentality is this: No one is going to tell me I can't do something. I won't allow myself to feel crippled by my physical limitations. I walk because I love walking, but also because it keeps me fit. I keep an eye on my weight because, honestly, when I was slightly on the heavier side I felt vulnerable.

Maybe that makes me a bit of a nervous sparrow, constantly looking out for danger, but hey.

Plus I look hilariously ridiculous when I am heavier: think twiglet wearing a polo mint around it's middle.

I put a fruit Polo on a stick insect once...

not really

that would be funny though

or would it?

only one way to find out

i used to have two stick insects when i was a kid

they were called Lenny and Naomi

but my brother made me give them to him

but he didn't feed them

and they died

never again

I've been going to the gym, maybe 3-7 exercise classes [circuit training, kick boxing, etc] per week, plus weights/machine sessions of varying lengths.

So at least 5 hours a week, and, other than making my stamina skyrocket, I don't see much physical benefits [it's been 2 months + now].

Other people get buff as fuck much quicker. Being a lanky tall idiot is rubbish, and I fear that even though I've been really wathcing my diet, the beer benders fuck it all up.

Sucks to be me, I'd practically have to live at the gym to gain noticeable muscle [genetically this has been proven, my family, although athletic and naturally sporting, none of them look like 'they work out'.

I almost can't be fucked.

What shall i supplement my regime with to make me look buff? From home, I guess.???

What shall i supplement my regime with to make me look buff? From home, I guess.???

To gain significant mass, you need to stress your muscles HARD, to give them reason to get bigger. Doing dozens of reps in one set will only get your muscle endurance up (and get hard as fuck), but it's not going to add significant mass. Do tons of free weights and bodyweight type exercises, which promote usage of main muscles and supporting muscles (like 10 rep max per set, as in you cannot even do anymore cuz it's so heavy). Make workouts as difficult as possible, and also focus on negatives. Aaaand to gain mass, the #1 tip: Eat a fuckload of food. I can get pretty normal-muscley from just a normal diet and long-term workout type living, but to get fast and significant gains, I need to workout hard and eat 3000~4000 Cal per day. This goes for basically everybody. TONS AND TONS OF FOOD. You could seriously get huge by just eating garbage, but if you're getting 4500 Cal of garbage, you will be unhealthy but buff.

FOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And to answer a question as to why I workout: I need to stay in shape, because Tokyo is full of ninjas trying to steal your IDMz and demo tapes, etc. So to keep up the IDM lazer, one must study themselves, all aspects of every single body part, strengthen all body movements and flexibility, have explosive and steady/static strength, study every single martial art constantly, eat healthily, and sleep well. By doing this, the IDMz comez.

And to answer a question as to why I workout: I need to stay in shape, because Tokyo is full of ninjas trying to steal your IDMz and demo tapes, etc. So to keep up the IDM lazer, one must study themselves, all aspects of every single body part, strengthen all body movements and flexibility, have explosive and steady/static strength, study every single martial art constantly, eat healthily, and sleep well. By doing this, the IDMz comez.

Noice.

Welp ever since the move ive been treating my cabin fever with beers and pullups rather than good ol' jogging, so I gave that a try for the first time in a few weeks. Man do I have some work to do. The leg muscles are still there which is a good thing, but my breathing endurance has decreased noticeably. Gonna do it slow and build up a little everyday until I get back to where I was.

what do you eat/drink before a run? I usually just get hungry or have to pee.

finished my first official half marathon today in Berlin with 1:43. it wasn't too hard except for the last 5k when I noticed a huge blister on my small left toe and I started to get hungry after running past a carnival with BBQ and cotton candy...

I did 5:30min/km for the first 10k and then slowly started to increase my speed, which was a pretty good tactic I suppose..

Nice one, wish I could get that time. I'd like to pick up my pace a bit I think. I'll try your idea. I didn't eat or drink anything really, just water as I went round. Probably a stupid idea but I've always run in the morning at the gym before work without eating. I'm just never hungry in the morning.

Found quite a few people online with the same problem as me and the tips seem to be: eat something like a banana about 15-30 minutes before setting off and have an energy bar a bit over half way. Obviously water too but not too much.

Bananas are a good idea, also just in case: drink a lot. Not only after the run, but in general.

I ran about the same time before I started my work-out plan, at a much smaller elevation too ;)

If you want to aim for a specific finishing time, search for some hm-trainingplans, they will get you there.

You also don´t have to do the whole distance in your training, Interval training is much more important if you want to run the whole thing faster.

• 1 month later...

Check my resting heart beat today, fucking 60 (down from mid-80's), great stuff.

I found a nice routine that works for me

Bike to work 5 days a week ( takes me about 15-20 minutes to get there, there is a bunch of hills on my way there so that helps a lot with cardio)

Mon and Thu i work on muscle, basic stuff, legs (110lbs, 10 sets of ten), abs (60lbs, 5 sets of ten), chest(85 10 sets of ten), biceps (80 10 sets of ten)

Tus and Fri i do cardio, run 4-5 miles

Saturday, hour and a half of soccer

i rest Wednesdays and sundays.

I still can't get a good diet, although right now its not that bad i know i can improve.

A lot of anxiety associated with the heart is gone now (a big plus), i still get panicky from time to time but im able to roll with it for the most part.

Best thing about it is that there is still so much to improve.

• 1 month later...

Started doing pushups again recently, and also started eating a lot more protein throughout the day.

If there were some youths in my position, they might describe their current state as "gettin' hella swole."

I still need to start eating more leafy greens, since I'm missing out on a lot of energy in the form of B vitamins.

I've been using perfect pushups... Those rotating handles. They target more muscles than a normal pushup, and are way easier on your wrist (which is good, since I broke my wrist last year and would often hurt after doing normal pushups).

These, some free weights, and situps are all I am doing at the moment. I really need to get some cardio going again, but really cant figure out how to fit it in my schedule, as I am working 12 hour days (factoring in my commute). The pushups and sit ups I do in my office, so those are easy to fit into the day.

I've been using perfect pushups... Those rotating handles. They target more muscles than a normal pushup, and are way easier on your wrist (which is good, since I broke my wrist last year and would often hurt after doing normal pushups).

These, some free weights, and situps are all I am doing at the moment. I really need to get some cardio going again, but really cant figure out how to fit it in my schedule, as I am working 12 hour days (factoring in my commute). The pushups and sit ups I do in my office, so those are easy to fit into the day.

Yeah 12 hour days suck. They are standard in the film industry. Normally it's ok because I don't work 5 days a week, but now I am and it's a little nuts. Don't know how people do this.

• 3 weeks later...

just started working out (literally 2 days into the new year) and i can already feel the effects. i haven't worked out in ages so i have a lot of catching up to do

• 4 weeks later...

Just do some yoga. You don't have to move and it's a great cardiovascular exercise. It will increase your leg strength as well so next time you run your performance will be much better.

Archived