IGNORED

do you work out?

oyster

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably posting Thai fighters didn't help my post.. Thai men just aren't very large in general, but they do develop impressive, efficient muscles. The ones in the photo were definitely lightweight something though.

And they could rock through 100% of the posters on the board.

There's one group of people you don't fuck with - it's muay thai fighters. Nothing like killing all the nerve endings in your limbs so you feel no pain and can turn your forearms and shins into iron bars. My two favorite muay thai fighters are Ramon Dekker and Buakaw Por Pramuk.

Buakawa por Pramuk is 5'8" 153 pounds. Look at the power he is able to generate. His record is W203 (54KO) - L21 (1KO) - DR12

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwfZ3CLtrgw

Here's his training routine (from 2004), and a brief clip of his physical fitness training from 2011.

Bangkok, Thailand: Thailand’s latest contestant in the K-1 Max finals is their strongest yet. In a Spartan isolated training camp, Buakao Por Pramuk is pushing his body to the limits, to prepare to take on the world’s best middleweight fighters. With a lot of people pouring scorn on his chances due to his normal fighting weight being a lot lower, Buakao is quietly confident and determined to prove the doubters wrong. Buakao is only 22 years old and in his fighting prime. He has also never even been put down by a punch, let alone knocked out.

Since he started his fighting career at the very young age of 8, he has already fought over 300 times, starting in his home province of Surin, in the northeast of Thailand and then in Bangkok after he moved to Por Pramuk gym at the age of 15.

He has collected several belts to his name since fighting in Bangkok. First he won the Omnoi Stadium featherweight title, after that he took the featherweight champion of Thailand title. Buakao won another Omnoi Stadium title belt, this time at lightweight, which he still holds today. In December 2002, Buakao won the Toyota Marathon 140 pound tournament at Lumpini Stadium, beating the highly regarded Kobayashi of Japan in the final. This was a tournament similar to the K-1 set up with 3 round fights and no elbows allowed until the final.

With some big wins against some big names, including KO wins over Thongchai PorBurapha and Nonthachai Kiatwanlop, Buakao has struggled to find a fighter capable of giving him a real challenge in Thailand at the moment.

Por Pramuk Gym is set in an idyllic location on the bank of the Bangpakong River, in Chacherngsao province approximately 100 kilometers east of Bangkok. It’s reached after a 5 kilometer drive from the nearest main road, through coconut and mango groves. It’s the perfect location to develop top class fighters; fresh air all around and far away from distractions and temptations.

Buakao follows a very arduous training regime that sees him get up at 6:00 AM for a 12 kilometer run which is then followed by pad and bag work and conditioning exercises.

The rest of the morning and early afternoon is time for more sleep to let the body recover for the afternoon session. The afternoon training starts with another long run of 8 kilometers. As soon as the boxers are back from the run, they grab the nearest punch bag and throw a set of 200 knees on the bag. This is followed by a pad session with their trainer. Buakao does one round on the pads, but it is 20 minutes long with just 2 very short breaks to get a drink of water.

He holds a very fast pace throughout the 20 minutes, forcing the pad man back, with his lightning fast heavy round kicks. After the pad session its time for him to hit the bags again, this time its 2 rounds of 10 minutes duration with sets of push ups between the rounds and at the end. Buakao also has an international boxing coach there, to take him on the hand pads, and work on his boxing defense. He approaches everything he does in the gym, with a single minded dedication and sets a relentless pace throughout. Following on from the boxing session its back into the ring for a 45 minute session of clinch and knee work. With his stable mates Chokdee Por Pramuk and Namsaknoi Yuthgarngamthon, both boxers taking it in turns to work with Buakao.

After the clinch work there is still time for another set of 200 knees on the bag, followed by 100 kicks with each leg. Then it’s just the conditioning work to do including 100 pull ups and 300 sit ups.

Buakao’s approach to the K-1 max finals has been one of determined, relentless hard work. He is in incredible shape and raring to go. There is an air of confidence around the Por Pramuk camp, Buakao in a reserved modest way and his gym owner in a more outgoing way, who feels there is no one in the tournament that they fear. His boss didn’t rate the dangers of the punching power of Kraus and Zambedis and the only fighter he thought could pose any real problems was John Wayne Parr due to his size, but still feels Buakao has more than enough in his arsenal to deal with the challenge.

It will soon be seen if Buakao has the skills and the ability to overcome his only short coming in the tournament, his smaller size to the rest of the contestants. But one thing for sure is that whoever he meets in the ring will be in for a hell of a fight.

Ramon Dekkers was 5'8" 160lbs. His record is W186 (95KO) - L30 - DR2

You tell me, would you fight him?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L56mHC5fZA

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

I would love to see Jose Aldo fight one of those Thai guys. Jose Aldo has insane Muay Thai skills but I don't think he's ever fought anyone like them.

Would be some damn good fights. Need more confident kickers in the UFC.

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

Just do this and kick down a few thousand trees

That's a banana tree (no such thing as bambo trees)

6771a_adidas_supernova_running_shoes_51q8M2BMWsvL.jpg

Got these new running shoes the other day, just a different colour. So very comfy compared to what I've been using up until experiencing pain. They did rub on my little toe for the last 10 minutes this morning. I'll have to try and sort that out.

It's the first time I've had to use UK size 12. Are running shoes usually smaller or is it just my fitting with Adidas?

Guest fiznuthian

AH the foot rub of a shoe really sucks. Nothing more annoying! Nice shoes though.

Just do this and kick down a few thousand trees

That's a banana tree (no such thing as bambo trees)

See that's what i'm talking about there.. Absolutely incredible power and they're not 250 lb men either.

So glad you posted these. I LOVE muay thai!

Oh my god just watched that highlight reel of Ramon. That is so fucking scary! I've never seen him before.

i want the muy thai look! haha!

that is the girliest thing you've ever posted

lol. ill admit im not the most masculine man on earth.

had to run in and post this shake I made today:

Skim Milk

1 cup thawed blackberries (cheaper than fresh)

A tiny dollop of natural peanut butter

One whole banana

Scoop o' whey protein

I must've creamed my pants about six times before I finally finished this monster. Will be drinking this for the rest of my life.

i think ive realized how little nutrients my body has been absorbing over the years today when I woke up. Had a Clif Bar and a PBJ, then went for a light warm up jog, stretches, went lifting.

Came home, drank another fruit smoothie. Feel fucking amazing, better than ten cups of coffee. I don't think Ive ever eaten actual fruit all that much!! Pricing, laziness, whatever...but its only been a few days and theres been a hell of a difference.

Other thing I noticed was Ive been gorging myself on lettuces, chicken, fruit, eggs, and I thought I was ruining all my hard work. Nope! Woke up this morning looking trimmer than ever.

Fitz might be onto something here...

Guest fiznuthian

Haha yes!

I swear by it man.. amazing every day.

Some people prefer going veggie heavy, i'm a fruit man myself.. eh whatever. Whole, real food is where it's at. All day every day :)

progress update. finished my 2nd day of new training program. Yesterday was deadlifting. Damn I am sore all over my whole body.

I am thinking of trying some type of yoga at home now.... I am very inflexible and I think these exercises will help me work on that, what do you guys recommend?

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

progress update. finished my 2nd day of new training program. Yesterday was deadlifting. Damn I am sore all over my whole body.

hope you're not working out everyday. day in between is recommended to recover.

i think ive realized how little nutrients my body has been absorbing over the years today when I woke up. Had a Clif Bar and a PBJ, then went for a light warm up jog, stretches, went lifting.

Came home, drank another fruit smoothie. Feel fucking amazing, better than ten cups of coffee. I don't think Ive ever eaten actual fruit all that much!! Pricing, laziness, whatever...but its only been a few days and theres been a hell of a difference.

Other thing I noticed was Ive been gorging myself on lettuces, chicken, fruit, eggs, and I thought I was ruining all my hard work. Nope! Woke up this morning looking trimmer than ever.

Also if you drink regularly it washes out the nutrients from your body. The body is complex. It needs certain vitamins to be able to absorb other vitamins etc etc.

Not sure if you drink or not. But when I started recovering from alcoholism I noticed a huge difference in my workouts + overall health

Also if you drink regularly it washes out the nutrients from your body. The body is complex. It needs certain vitamins to be able to absorb other vitamins etc etc.

Not sure if you drink or not. But when I started recovering from alcoholism I noticed a huge difference in my workouts + overall health

I haven't had a single beer for about 3 weeks now, so that might be part of it. Now I try to limit myself to one day with friends...ill have two drinks maximum.

Guest fiznuthian

Ah yes, our good friend acetaldehyde. Great way to put your mitochondria in a hurt. And your intestinal wall. And develop a fatty liver. And your pancreas.. :sad:

Guest fiznuthian

True that! :beer: :beer: :beer:

Maybe we should call this the anti.. depressant thread.

I need to stop venturing into the depression thread.. a lot of self-pity and learned helplessness there :cry:

True that! :beer: :beer: :beer:

Maybe we should call this the anti.. depressant thread.

I need to stop venturing into the depression thread.. a lot of self-pity and learned helplessness there :cry:

also a lot of people that are incredibly alarmist and uninformed about diagnostic medicine and psychotherapy.

Guest fiznuthian

Yes, I have that kind of tendency in myself.. Though i'm a huge advocate of people seeing a psychologist. Not so big into psychiatry, but the year I spent discussing the way I think and view things with a psychologist helped me a lot. She still didn't believe me when I told her changing my diet radically made me feel great, and continued to make me feel better.

It was eating better that improved my health significantly, and once reasonably healthy again the desire to get up and move was so strong.. Subsequently I exercised and continued to nourish.. I was no longer depressed, anxious, etc..

Diet and exercise and being willing to change my lifestyle changed my life entirely I guess.. so naturally i'm skeptical of diagnostic medicine and drug treatments when it comes mood, anxiety, and depressive disorder.

More on topic though:

070711NS-ULTFIGHT01_t607.JPG

quite probably my most effective medicine.. :wub:

Just started back myself. Due to an ankle injury I cant to any leg work. So Im doing upperbody weight and core and finishing with some cycling, because its probably the only cardio I can do without struggling with my ankle.

20km in 35 minutes, Im hoping to get that time down or the distance up. Im not a strong cycler so Im happy with that.

hope you're not working out everyday. day in between is recommended to recover.

No. Although some days I go back to back because I am working different muscle groups on the days. But that's only once a week. Benching and deadlifting don't really share much as far as muscles are concerned

I've been so sore but no excuses. Today is overhead press day, bring the pain!!!! started out with some eggs for a quick protein.

Has anyone else here tried stronglifts 5x5? So simple, yet so effective. The squats three times a week is some serious business.

i think this thread will work well as a log for me from now on

Did military presses/overhead presses/whatever you wanna call it, broke a personal record on the heaviest set (85x8). Got some basketball in too. My whole body is worn out from the week but I feel fucking great right now. I decided to take tomorrow off so I will be completely ready for my last workout of Week 1, which is squat day. I've never sqautted before so it's time to learn. this is gonna be hard but a huge day indeed

Yoga day! about 1hr of ashtanga yoga and various ab exercises.

ashtanga is awesome. i love how it becomes a routine and you can start flowing during it. very cool.

Archived