IGNORED

do you work out?

oyster

I think he's saying he runs on treadmill, so he'd technically be running on the spot.

One evening I'm going to ride home from work, but set my activity to golfing to see what kind of calorie burn I'd get from walking 11 miles of golf in 45 minutes.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So here is my routine, along with my state of mind:

6AM:alarm goes off:think to myself what the fuck am I doing?

Look at weather:48 degrees:think to myself what the fuck am I doing?

6:15:out the door,feel the blast of cold,start my warm up:think to myself what the fuck am I doing

6:15-6:45: panting sweating etc:think to myself OK I'm feeling warmer and kind of nice,but still dude,really,what the fuck am I doing?

6:45-6:50:cool down: think to myself thank God that is over.

6:50-7: stretching:think to myself ow this hurts...but in a good kind of way

7-rest of the day: think to myself I feel fucking amazing!

I don't see that changing, but the 7-rest of the day part trumps the 6-7 parts, so its all good.

had to announce that I ran 5.75 miles in an hour today!!!

for a 6'3", 220 pound former heavy smoker, I think I'm entitled to some bragging rights.

Goddamn I'm so close to getting 6 miles in an hour that I can taste that sweet sweat.

had to announce that I ran 5.75 miles in an hour today!!!

for a 6'3", 220 pound former heavy smoker, I think I'm entitled to some bragging rights.

Goddamn I'm so close to getting 6 miles in an hour that I can taste that sweet sweat.

It was great motivation when i first ran a mile (i couldnt even do half a mile before), now im doing six miles.

As long as you see progress you'll keep yourself motivated.

I'm back on the p90x program. This time though I'm committed to doing every workout and doing it at the pace of the video, without pausing it.

So far it's pretty challenging and I've had to use less weight or reps than before. Will post back if I get some decent results.

Yeah man I do it too, I couldn't get to the gym anymore because I don't have as much time, so I started P90X. I did one round and felt good, but I didn't really start to see results until round two (now).

My back is where I see it the most though, becuase I couldn't do many chin ups initially maybe only one or two, now I'm at about 60 or 70 reps per workout. I want to get a six pack on my back and scare my neighbors when I cut my grass without a shirt this summer.

If you have a P90X account on the site beachbody send me your nickname and I'll add you for the next round, we can help each other through.

Later.

Hey! I'm on I think my 6th cycle. But for the first 5 I had really bad alcoholism and a number of other things that made the program not as effective as it should have been. I gained a lot of muscle mass though!

This 6th time I've switched it up and I'm doing it at the speed the videos are, instead of pausing to be able to finish a set or whatever. I've noticed major changes. That, and I'm not as much of an alcoholic as before.

The best gains for me were chest. I went from doing 100 pushups in chest and back to 440 pushups in the workout.

I don't have a p90x account yet but maybe I'll check it out and send you a PM on here, when I can!

cheers

Once you start lifting weights, doing some cardio and actually start feeling the benefits, you can never quit altogether. You can veer off the path and drink and smoke like it's 1945, but one more visit to the gym and you realize that it'd be so much better to just look good naked and karate chop everything.

Word! Congrats SR!

hell yeah thank you sirrah.

how are yours coming? I know you mentioned your routine briefly, but what does it usually involve? just straight up commute biking? mixing it up with running or weight training?

I noticed recently that my arms are super tiny compared to my chest/back. i gotta get back into lifting something...will make this move easier.

Guest Papillon

I'm back on the p90x program. This time though I'm committed to doing every workout and doing it at the pace of the video, without pausing it.

So far it's pretty challenging and I've had to use less weight or reps than before. Will post back if I get some decent results.

Yeah man I do it too, I couldn't get to the gym anymore because I don't have as much time, so I started P90X. I did one round and felt good, but I didn't really start to see results until round two (now).

My back is where I see it the most though, becuase I couldn't do many chin ups initially maybe only one or two, now I'm at about 60 or 70 reps per workout. I want to get a six pack on my back and scare my neighbors when I cut my grass without a shirt this summer.

If you have a P90X account on the site beachbody send me your nickname and I'll add you for the next round, we can help each other through.

Later.

Hey! I'm on I think my 6th cycle. But for the first 5 I had really bad alcoholism and a number of other things that made the program not as effective as it should have been. I gained a lot of muscle mass though!

This 6th time I've switched it up and I'm doing it at the speed the videos are, instead of pausing to be able to finish a set or whatever. I've noticed major changes. That, and I'm not as much of an alcoholic as before.

The best gains for me were chest. I went from doing 100 pushups in chest and back to 440 pushups in the workout.

I don't have a p90x account yet but maybe I'll check it out and send you a PM on here, when I can!

cheers

Waaaaaa 440 pushups! in one hour that;s too many dude. I only do about 250, on the pull-ups maybe 120ish.... You must be huge man, I gained some muscle and changed my overall image from a triangle to an inverted triangle lol.. that sounds so gay. 6 rounds and your not getting sick of it.. wow. I can't stand that Drea chick, i keep waiting for a penis to fall out of her shorts.

Well, for the first 5 times around I did the workout but I took lots of breaks. Like instead of 52 mins for chest and back it might take me twice as long. I was mostly concerned with getting high numbers/reps!

But this 6th time around I've decided to do it differently. I'm not worrying about the numbers as much, and I'm doing it in the length of time I'm supposed to, not taking any extra breaks. It's much more difficult this way and I'm seeing better results.

I probably WOULD be huge and ripped, but I was drinking heavily for many years and that definitely hurts the physique lol.

how are yours coming? I know you mentioned your routine briefly, but what does it usually involve? just straight up commute biking? mixing it up with running or weight training?

My previous job had me riding my bike roughly 10 miles a day. My new job requires 0 physical exertion to get there, and this is the reason I started running... I went from constant cardio to none. So that routine I mentioned, was just for running, and I do that 3 times a week right now.

I am also doing pushups, sit-ups, pull-ups, and some free weights, 2-3 times a week. I was doing squats, but I can't figure out where to fit that in and not mess up my running. Squats really kill my legs, and take like 3-4 days to recover from.

I feel like my workouts have been kind of shitty lately though... not getting a lot of sleep, working a lot, and kind of stressed out about a few things in life, and all of those things are kind of counterproductive for having good workouts and making progress.

• 1 month later...

What happened to this thread? I assume there isn't any more recent ones on working out.

As my workplace has a free gym that I've started going to, I have really stepped up my game. I started taking omega 3, vitamin D and whey protein supplements, along with trying to do calorie counting as strict as possible. Initially it was hard but once you get really into the gym, you don't want to fuck it up with what you're eating. The hard part is actually eating enough and often enough, trying to refuel every 2 hours or so with a little protein to keep that furnace burning. I am more used to big few meals which really wasn't good for my health.

Anyway, going to the gym after work is really the best part of my day these days. I am considering waking up an hour earlier for some short HIIT cardio before breakfast, as that is even better for burning fat.

I used to lift weights when I was younger to the point that I got some noteworthy guns, and it's fucking embarassing how much capacity I've lost since then. But I'm planning longterm to slowly get there, and be more all-round with compound routines this time. My plan here is a reasonable but intense cutting routine while maximizing/maintaining muscle mass, even though I am not going for a strict bulk/cut thing here. The idea now is just to get some core stability, lose weight and go from there.

I started with light cardio on the elliptical a couple of weeks ago, but now I am doing moderate to high intensity cardio for an hour every day that I'm not lifting weights. I am already noticing huge improvements and it feels amazing.

Right now, my weightlifting routine is as follows.

A:

3x5 Squat

3x5 Bench Press

1x5 Deadlift

3x5 Skullcrusher

B:

3x5 Squat

3x5 Military Press

3x5 Pendlay Rows

The plan is alternating A and B days with a total of 3 lift days a week. I'm thinking of putting the deadlift on another day than the squats and trying to figure out how not to let the cardio intensity mess with the workouts, but I feel like I really need the cardio.

I wanted to get some pure arm work in there as well but I was adviced not to on another site, as the compound routines will get really brutal once I start adding weight. Maybe I'll change it later on, but I want to get a feel for this routine first. Right now, I am extremely careful with the deadlifts as I am new to those.

Anyway, I am extremely proud of myself for getting my shit together and doing my best so far, and surprised at how easy and satisfying it really is (to the point that I want to give myself a proper slap in the face for all those years I didn't do it).

How's the rest of watmm coming along?

I find that as long as I keep adding weight to the bar when I squat, I feel like a rock solid machine. I'm at 225 now, and can't wait to see what happens when I reach 300. Or more.

20 miles of cycling a day.

Pretty tiring really but I'd quite like to work in some core and upper body stuff as well. Hard to motivate yourself though with a full work day and the riding... hmm

After like a 10 year break from working out regularly (used to be in weightlifting in high school, worked out regularly), I've been back to somewhat regular working out for 6 months. Feeling pretty good. I mostly work out at parks, doing calisthenics shiz. Pretty hard to beat the hardcore-ness, functionality, pure strength building, and range of motion of gymnastic style workouts, myaaaaan.... Gained 12 kilos in the first couple months, beginner gains are mostly done. Shooting for 80 kg lean in the next 3 months... currently ~77 kg.

Me in Feb 2012:

me-02-2012.jpg

I have like 27 times more muscle than that now.

damn peace 7 you lookin good! must be good work ethic plus great genetics. i couldn't get that ripped if i tried.

Ive been running about 5 miles 5 days a week, with some tennis thrown in now and then for extra measure. So far its been working great, but this past two weeks or so Ive been drinking a hell of a lot, and I think its finally caught up to my body. Basically slept all day yesterday only getting up to eat or crap. Gonna go for a 3 mile today and see if I don't pass out.

I loved you in Enter the Dragon

THAT'S RACIST!!!

Also, I've been doing yoga. Trying to do it everyday as I am hoping it will be good physical therapy for my spine which seems to want to be a piece of shit. Yoga is gr8. I'm going to hold of on strength training because I'm curious how far the yoga will take me.

Archived