IGNORED

....So I'm In Cornwall

Guest Bubz

Guest Bubz

I tried tuning in to 105 FM when I was passing through Redruth today and heard nothing but static :sad:

Does anyone know if it comes on at a certain time?

Also does anyone have any suggestions on what else to do Braindance related here?

Is there like a record shop somewhere with ties to Rephlex?

So far I just have some plans to go sightseeing. Gonna check out Hells Mouth tomorrow. Also gonna check out St. Michaels Mount (or was it Mt. Saint Michaels) and the maze at Mawnan Smith in the next few days.

I tried tuning in to 105 FM when I was passing through Redruth today and heard nothing but static :sad:

Heheh. There's a billion replies possible. So much so I am lost for words.

Enjoy Cornwall and go swimming in the sea. Its a magical part of the world.

Cool, I'm going to Cornwall in less than 2 weeks! Will also go to st. Michaels Mount probably, looking for more places that are worth checking out. I'm staying near a small village close to Plymouth, is it worth traveling around Redruth etc.?

Well seeing as we are doing the tourist thread.

I will be cycling from London to Lands End in September, then meeting friends in Gulval for a few days (getting train home). Not sure I will be doing anything Aphexian, as I am a bit too old for all that malarky, but I may sacrafice a sheep to Tha.

Looking forward too it.

Whilst Redruth is a bit of a techno pilgrimage, it is also a dump.

Go to Grant's night in Falmouth, plenty of charity/record shops. There is a record fair that comes to town sometimes.

Guest Bubz

Go to Grant's night in Falmouth, plenty of charity/record shops. There is a record fair that comes to town sometimes.

do you know when and where he plays? i'll be in falmouth tomorrow so i'll look around for shops and any info on dj rephlex records hosting a night. thanks for the tip! :biggrin:

St. Michael's Mount is right near Penzance, quite interesting to see!

Also, the Logan Rock is nearby too, near the Minack theatre which I suggest visiting as it is absolutely beautiful.

Guest texan whip

Go to Porthtowan if you want to see the beach that featured on the Polygon Window album cover. The surf bar 'Blue' is worth visiting for a drink and to watch the sun set - quite a few alternative types in there and good music too. If the sea is out you can find a hidden swimming pool that the Victorians built along the cliff side and hidden steps leading up to the cliff top. AFX would frequent the beach and the pool a lot in the early days. It's not much of a beach there though - there's far better and cleaner sandy beaches all over Cornwall.

Guest Masonic Boom

Oi. There are a lot of good things about 'Druth. (Number one on the list being that it's not Camborne.)

It's a short walk from Redruth to Gwennap Pit (featured in that infamous interview between Peel and RDJ and Vibert) and if you really feel like a hit of a hike, you can carry on to Carn Marth. Reward yourself with a pasty at the Portreath Bakery in Lanner if you make it all the way down the other side.

There's a great mining trail walk along the former elevated tramway from Redruth through Illogan to Portreath, but that might be a bit trainspottery. Portreath gets horribly touristy in the summer, but the harbour is still worth a visit, and not just for obsessive fans. Of course there's the Cornish Studies library on Alma Pl just off Fore St but they've probably got more on Richard Trevithick than Richard D James. Falmouth is your best bet, though, some good record shops there.

It's an absolutely beautiful part of the world, you can't really go wrong (so long as you don't stray into the clutches of Camborne Bus Depot) but I'll refrain from turning into the Kerrier and Penwith tourist board too much.

+1 on the tip for Blue in Porthtowan, that's a really great place for drinks or food, right on the beach.

do you know when and where he plays? i'll be in falmouth tomorrow so i'll look around for shops and any info on dj rephlex records hosting a night. thanks for the tip! :biggrin:

Next one is on the 30th at Underground on th old Falmouth high street. No offence to Redruth, I had the best news years to date there. Ain't no party like a Rephlex party.

Rinsey Cove FTW, go there.

Guest Coalbucket PI

I haven't been around there as much as I'd like but Falmouth is a good laugh, Vibert's been spotted around there before and there is a clip on youtube of some people outside shit club Remedies bothering RDJ. The beaches are alright and you'll find pretty stuff if you wander by the sea as I'm sure you can most anywhere on the coast down there.

Guest Bubz

You guys are awsome!! :emotawesomepm9:

thanks for all the advice. its so beautiful here. i love it!

I wish I had a longer stay but i'm gonna try to see as much as I can in the few remaining days of my trip.

definitely gonna come here another time with a tent and a bike (i saw some really nice and fancy campsites as i was hiking today).

Guest Masonic Boom

(The ultimate sadAFXfan Cornwall tour would be to do a bikeride / hike around the villages and pub that the Ventolin remixes are named after.)

((n.b. I have not done this))

(((yet)))

Hahah!

I have good friends who go every year. They say it is a magical part of the world and say their is a different atmosphere to Cornwall, something in the air. I told them that fucking maniac who I listen to, who makes that fucking maniac electronic music comes from there.

Ahhh they said, that makes sense.

High fucking five!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Masonic Boom

Oh god, asking me for directions is basically asking to get lost, but off the top of my head...

There was that place on Arwenack St (or it might be Church St at that point? I don't know, the main street in Falmouth is called at least 4 different things in different bits) called Sounds something. Not quite as far towards the docks as Trago, but that area. There's a crate-diggy second hand shop, mostly vinyl, further up in the arcade with all the hippie shops and stained glass danglefontaine things (again not sure if it's Church St or Market St at that point?) it's towards the back, you can't see it from the street, but it's run by the same guy who runs the cyberhippie clothes shop at the back. Nice bloke. I thought there might have been another shop, further up the hill, past the pier on the High Street but it might have proved on closer examination to be a musical instrument shop that also sold some CDs. Can't remember. Like I said, my knowledge of Falmouth is patchy, if you could find an student they might be more helpful.

The best crate-digging I've done is at Jobel's Collectibles on Fore St in Redruth, but that is genuinely really odd charity type stuff. There was a "local music" section which I was hoping would be all Rephlex but it was really, really strange stuff, all Pendeen Silver Band Plays Working Songs Of The Wheals and the Mousehole Cornish Male Voice Choir - I thought all that stuff was great, but probably of limited interest to Braindance fans. Unless you like obscure folk-punk versions of Goin' Up Camborne Hill Comin' Down. Got some great DVDs there, though.

Hopefully someone else can be more helpful!

'Sounds OK' is good, there were a couple of warp purple labels in there a couple of weeks back. 'Jam' on the old high street has some good CDs. If the record fair is on at the Women's Institute then you've struck liquid gold. The guy who runs that moves all around Cornwall, always cleared me out.

Guest Masonic Boom

'Sounds OK' is good, there were a couple of warp purple labels in there a couple of weeks back. 'Jam' on the old high street has some good CDs. If the record fair is on at the Women's Institute then you've struck liquid gold. The guy who runs that moves all around Cornwall, always cleared me out.

Is Jam the place that looks like it's a coffeeshop? Up that steep hill on the way to Packet Quays? I must be confusing it with the guitar shop a few doors up.

Is Jam the place that looks like it's a coffeeshop? Up that steep hill on the way to Packet Quays? I must be confusing it with the guitar shop a few doors up.

Yeah. The place in the arcade is good for classic LPs as well, not as much electronic though. Quite a nice second hand Thorens turntable for sale.

Guest Masonic Boom

Oh my god! British person knows quite a bit about much beloved popular British family holiday destination! Alert the authorities!

I'm well versed on National Trust opening hours, vegetarian cafes and bus timetables, too.

Archived