IGNORED

Actress - Ghettoville

Redruth

dance music "devoid of any sort of soul" does not sound good to me. I find soul in some of his previous works, was that unintentional then? :wacko:

Nothing he says about his own music ever makes any sense. He called Splazsh "R&B concrète" when it came out.

Edited by doublename

Guest bitroast

Either way, I'm looking forward to picking this (and a hazyville pressing on vinyl, if there were one) when it comes out:)

I respect the guys approach the music. There's something subtle and pleasing about the tunes he produces.

the thing is.... actress isn't that good

lol

tend to agree, but we're all clutching at straws these days. Oneohtrix Point Never isn't really very good either...

Last album to bring my heartrate up close to the old classics was Exai, and even I don't pretend that was exactly on the same level as previous masterworks.

lol

tend to agree, but we're all clutching at straws these days. Oneohtrix Point Never isn't really very good either...

Last album to bring my heartrate up close to the old classics was Exai, and even I don't pretend that was exactly on the same level as previous masterworks.

I honestly think this is wrong. Both are doing unique things with sound that nobody before them has done. It took me a while to realize. They're forging new ground and in that sense they are brilliant. I might agree that their albums don't excite me in the same way that something like geogaddi does.

lol

I honestly think this is wrong. Both are doing unique things with sound that nobody before them has done. It took me a while to realize. They're forging new ground and in that sense they are brilliant. I might agree that their albums don't excite me in the same way that something like geogaddi does.

awkward said it best: RIP should really be called "attempts" some nice atmospheric sounds... but not much more. And don't tell me "trying to capture the feel of a space or experience" is new to Actress. Eno had that on lock by about what.... 1982?

lol

awkward said it best: RIP should really be called "attempts" some nice atmospheric sounds... but not much more. And don't tell me "trying to capture the feel of a space or experience" is new to Actress. Eno had that on lock by about what.... 1982?

I think Actress creates an incredible atmosphere, and has an aesthetic that is very fresh IMO. And because Eno had really great atmospheric records, that means other people aren't allowed to do something special? Most great music takes influences from past legends, not sure why that's taboo in your eyes. Actress isn't necessarily doing anything new, it's just a very refreshing spin on already-established sounds.

I get why some people don't dig his music, and I wish they could see what I see in it, but that's no biggie. There's a million other artists to worry about, right?

His music sounds like big puzzle peices that are put together incorrectly on purpose. I remember some Autechre interview where they said they wanted you to think of their music as wildstyle graffitti. I think Actress does that too in his own way. Parallel World and most tracks on Splazsh are where it's at.

Guest bitroast

this thread made me finally get around to recording Actress' Silver Cloud ep at 45rpm onto computer.

(because, you know. the ep playing at 33rpm is totally and obviously too slow to be the correct speed)^^

actress has a very unique identity, pungency, aroma to his sounds. this is very attractive to me. he also seems to express this identity in slightly different ways; in a seemingly effortless, child-like manner with each new release. i'm quite effected by his musics in my ear parts and in my heart parts.

jamaican jerked actress?

• 1 month later...

dunno i tried giving this music a fair chance but it didn't really click.

trying this again right now and find it's okay at best. i mean come on. this is kind of like trying to walk into andy stott territory but stumbles and falls down face first into a poo and doesn't get up again.

• 3 weeks later...