IGNORED

stupid first world problems you're dealing with

Guest KY

On 10/8/2019 at 9:21 AM, Nebraska said:

does anyone use PLEX? i have a few (3) folders not showing up on my server. i've tried everything from renaming the folder, removing and re-adding them; even added that specific folder/file instead of the root folder.

halp?

more first world problems related to PLEX.

anyone consider themselves very knowledgable with this? my localhost stopped showing up yesterday whilst i was watching a film. nothing was changed. no new client version available (i have the latest) and i haven't change anything (modem, cables etc). rebooted both my server and modem. 

basically i get 'localhost is currently unavailable'

have tried everything but now i'm either going to have to rebuild the server or not use PLEX (both are unpleasant choices). any ideas?

14 hours ago, Nebraska said:

more first world problems related to PLEX.

anyone consider themselves very knowledgable with this? my localhost stopped showing up yesterday whilst i was watching a film. nothing was changed. no new client version available (i have the latest) and i haven't change anything (modem, cables etc). rebooted both my server and modem. 

basically i get 'localhost is currently unavailable'

have tried everything but now i'm either going to have to rebuild the server or not use PLEX (both are unpleasant choices). any ideas?

I started using PLEX this year. It's been mostly plain sailing with the occasional weird moment. That is until last month, when only remote play would work. Direct play would stop after 3 seconds, f-annoying. 

Are you able to remote play at all? 

3 hours ago, Shimon_Shimon said:

Are you able to remote play at all? 

i could before, until my PLEX server became unavailable on sunday.

i rebuilt it all yesterday from scratch and can remote play again, but because i don't know what caused the previous issue, i'm ambivalent on getting things set up "just like before" in case it happens again. basically i have all my movies scanned with the covers and metadata, but "collections" are no longer intricately organized (which really salts my meat)

Finally caught the the giant moth that has been stalking me since last Friday and put it outside but now realize it faces certain death and feel remorseful.

On 8/17/2021 at 5:19 PM, user said:

Finally caught the the giant moth that has been stalking me since last Friday and put it outside but now realize it faces certain death and feel remorseful.

It's already lived the majority of its life.  When it's in its winged form it only exists to reproduce once and die.  That moth is one of the successful ones.

On 8/17/2021 at 2:19 PM, user said:

Giant moth? :emotawesomepm9:

0.jpg

Just now, Zephyr_Nova said:

My arm pit stank bothers me just about every day (right now included).  I find other peoples' BO more pleasant on average, which I think is backwards. 

Daily deodorant application and avoiding consumption of red meat should mitigate that.

22 hours ago, yekker said:

Giant moth? :emotawesomepm9:

Big tiddy moth

7 hours ago, toaoaoad said:

WATMM is a place of peace and love

You simply must make acquaintance with our dear @diatoms m'lady

25 minutes ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

My arm pit stank bothers me just about every day (right now included).  I find other peoples' BO more pleasant on average, which I think is backwards. 

Lettin' the ol stank out are we?

4 minutes ago, ambermonke said:

Daily deodorant application and avoiding consumption of red meat should mitigate that.

2 hours ago, ambermonke said:

Already do deodorant, and don't eat that much red meat.  Put hot sauce on almost everything though.  That probably comes out in my sweat.  

I really want some icecream and perhaps a bag of maltesers but find it hard to get motivated enough to actually go and make the 2 minute trek to the supermarket. The fact that while I’m there I feel I should get some more shopping done which means that I need to think of what to make for dinner tonight makes things impossibly complicated. 

I shouldn’t be alive. 

• Facepalm 1

6 minutes ago, ignatius said:

gotta look for a new job. what a drag. 

feel for you man. job hunting sucks big time. lying through your teeth & making shit up is the only way to go...

• Like 1

I'm really fucking pissed off right now.  I want to scream at someone.  I don't know why I feel like this but I want to make someone feel terrible right now.  I can't sleep because of how angry I am.

On 7/15/2021 at 12:33 AM, rhmilo said:

Nurses are like bar people. The answer is no.

this is the best reminder/advice/comment i've gotten all year. had follow up appointment today. held the line. respectfully charming. lols were had. "have a nice rest of your day."  she's way too young anyways. i need a life someday. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ignatius said:

this is the best reminder/advice/comment i've gotten all year. had follow up appointment today. held the line. respectfully charming. lols were had. "have a nice rest of your day."  she's way too young anyways. i need a life someday. 

• Burger 1

Monday was fucking horrible and I'm still feel like shit because of it.
A client (my best client I should say) asked if I could be in charge of recording a voice over with a voice talent while he and his client would be listening in on it via a Zoom-like program. I said yes, and the voice talent came over. I sign in to the system and has set everything up so that everyone could hear what the voice talent said in the mic and so I could play it back to them. The system isn't really meant for this sort of thing but I was able to reroute things to make it work.

That's when shit started falling apart. Each time the client asked to listen to what had just been recorded, I would switch some things around so they could hear what my DAW was playing. But for some reason this caused the delay from the mic to the voice talent's headphones to get bigger and bigger. So in the end he couldn't wear the headphones because it was just confusing him. As if that wasn't bad enough, the program we used to talk to the client started crashing every time I would switch programs. At one point I had to restart my computer and sign in again. The delay was still there though and the voice talent accidentally said right into the microphone, "dude, I can't work with this". I was pulling my hair out. It was so fucking embarrassing and once we were finally done I called my client and said "I am so so so sorry, I have no idea what happened" and his respond was, "It's fine", and maybe it's just my insecurity about the whole situation talking here, but it certainly didn't feel like "it was fine". What should have taken 5-10 minutes ended up taking 30 minutes.

I am so worried that this whole scenario had caused permanent damage to my relationship with my client. I haven't heard from anyone since it happened and I've written two emails to two separate people in that company since then and they haven't replied - yet.

Jesus fucking Christ.

UPDATE: Just heard back from one of them and I think I overreacted, hahaha... fuck me.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Squee said:

UPDATE: Just heard back from one of them and I think I overreacted, hahaha... fuck me.

yeah man, most people at this current point in time are probably going to be slightly more sensitive to the fact that a huge chunk of the workforce out there are probably still working from home, and therefore the odd technical snafu is bound to occur. I had to give a presentation over microsoft teams awhile back and had no clue that the whirring of my laptop fan could be heard loud and clear by all on the call. one of my co-workers on the call was messaging me like wtf dude...are u vacuuming right now? that taught me to disconnect my monitors before using my laptop on teams calls, since the laptop struggles sometimes pumping out all those resources to make them images on screens occur. and in my experience, most people when doing b2b stuff are pretty reasonable anyway, and would be a total dick move to end a working relationship over a stupid technical glitch. besides, look at that asshat Toobin, who got caught whacking it on a zoom call, and is now back in the good graces of the American cable news programs.

3 minutes ago, zero said:

yeah man, most people at this current point in time are probably going to be slightly more sensitive to the fact that a huge chunk of the workforce out there are probably still working from home, and therefore the odd technical snafu is bound to occur. I had to give a presentation over microsoft teams awhile back and had no clue that the whirring of my laptop fan could be heard loud and clear by all on the call. one of my co-workers on the call was messaging me like wtf dude...are u vacuuming right now? that taught me to disconnect my monitors before using my laptop on teams calls, since the laptop struggles sometimes pumping out all those resources to make them images on screens occur. and in my experience, most people when doing b2b stuff are pretty reasonable anyway, and would be a total dick move to end a working relationship over a stupid technical glitch. besides, look at that asshat Toobin, who got caught whacking it on a zoom call, and is now back in the good graces of the American cable news programs.

Ha!
Well, I'm self-employeed and have been working in my current studio for 2 years so this sort of thing shouldn't happen.
I'm supposed to talk to the guy who  got back to me earlier today and I'm simply going to ask him if everyone at the office knows how bad that voice over session went.

• Like 1

I added some sugar to my coffee from a ziplock baggie.  Yeah, that was salt.  Still drinking.  Isn't as bad as you might think... but it's not good.

...this must be at least 10 times as much salt as i would ever eat in one meal.

• Burger 2

On 8/6/2021 at 5:49 AM, dcom said:

Without music, life would be a mistake. -- Friedrich Nietzsche

“I couldn't imagine a life in which I would not be surrounded by music — which shelters you from the world, which takes you and keeps you at a certain distance from the world.” -- Glenn Gould

But i hear you on the digital deluge of music.

Speaking of, I purchased the discography (at that point) of an artist on Bandcamp, which consisted of 403 individual tracks. In order to download them all, I have to download each one individually, as opposed to a big fucking ZIP (or a few I guess, as the size limit for ZIP is 4GB I believe). That in turn creates individual zip files, which unzip to folders, which means moving all the tracks from their individual folders into one big folder (luckily scripts exist) but still...significant FWP.

2 hours ago, chenGOD said:

Speaking of, I purchased the discography (at that point) of an artist on Bandcamp, which consisted of 403 individual tracks. In order to download them all, I have to download each one individually, as opposed to a big fucking ZIP (or a few I guess, as the size limit for ZIP is 4GB I believe). That in turn creates individual zip files, which unzip to folders, which means moving all the tracks from their individual folders into one big folder (luckily scripts exist) but still...significant FWP.

Yeah, I've also written some scripts to download things, but it's tedious AF. I've written several improvement suggestion emails to Bandcamp support regarding handling large collections (I've got 3355 items in my collection, 95+ % of which are multi-track releases). They won't implement an API, selectable item multi-downloads, better searching and sorting tools, or anything that would make it easier to manage a metric eff-ton of releases. They "have received your suggestions, but have no immediate plans to blah blah blah..." Being a web software professional I would love a REST API to at least get my collection metadata, even better if they would allow scriptable downloads. But no. FWP FML.