IGNORED

stupid first world problems you're dealing with

Guest KY

I don't understand Andy Warhol's works. 

I find them neither interesting to look at or thought provoking, and I'm scratching my head trying to understand how they're worth bajillieons of dollars. Most I've seen of his just look like he picked a random object/person/face, duplicated it x amount of times using a relatively cheap and easy method, and then boom worth 100M. Great, you silk screened a bunch of elvises or soup cans. How is that thought provoking? 

60 last suppers is kinda cool though.

edit: I mean, I couldn't do it myself.

Agreed. I think he just developed an aroma of hipness and cashed in on it. He definitely left a lasting mark on the art world, but not for the better imo. He did associate with some people whose work I actually appreciate, though, like Basquiat.

Andy Warhol's diaries are pretty entertaining. The day when he was at a party and Jagger runs over to John Lennon with a key of naughty is hilarious. There's also the bit where he gets invited to Kurt Vonnegut's daughter's art exhibition. It was a paradoxical time to live in NYC it seems. Champagne lifestyles littered with innocents being pushed onto the subway train tracks.

It was made decades before you were born. A lot of his stuff is pretty boring considering all of the shit we've seen in the last 40 years.

When I was in high school, I took a graphic design class that required we do a piece in the style of Warhol. I found a picture of his grave and repeated it, slightly degrading it over 20 iterations.

I find them neither interesting to look at or thought provoking, and I'm scratching my head trying to understand how they're worth bajillieons of dollars. Most I've seen of his just look like he picked a random object/person/face, duplicated it x amount of times using a relatively cheap and easy method, and then boom worth 100M. Great, you silk screened a bunch of elvises or soup cans. How is that thought provoking? 

Agreed. I think he just developed an aroma of hipness and cashed in on it. He definitely left a lasting mark on the art world, but not for the better imo.

Yeah man, can't believe his works are sold right next to da Vinci etc. Pop art (like warhol, banksy does some similar things with commercial objects etc doesnt quite qualify as pop art I guess) I find.. just odd. Meh, just not my thing I guess. 

:mellow:

Edited by Bulk VanderHooj

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pop_art

It was made decades before you were born. A lot of his stuff is pretty boring considering all of the shit we've seen in the last 40 years.

When I was in high school, I took a graphic design class that required we do a piece in the style of Warhol. I found a picture of his grave and repeated it, slightly degrading it over 20 iterations.

good point, yeah

also I have no art smarts, I'm talking strictly from the perspective of an art-uneducated pleb

Edited by Bulk VanderHooj

But when you see his bullshit art, you know it's his bullshit art.  Maybe it's comment on consumer culture, like "hey, consumer culture is a thing."  But instead of just typing out that sentence he made a bunch of bullshit art.  There has to be at least a couple examples of that sort of artist becoming hugely rich and successful in whatever field.  It seems to be far more pervasive in music and comedy though, by a landslide.

But when you see his bullshit art, you know it's his bullshit art.  Maybe it's comment on consumer culture, like "hey, consumer culture is a thing."  But instead of just typing out that sentence he made a bunch of bullshit art.  

This, yeah.

But when you see his bullshit art, you know it's his bullshit art.  Maybe it's comment on consumer culture, like "hey, consumer culture is a thing."  But instead of just typing out that sentence he made a bunch of bullshit art.  

This, yeah.

The problem is, though, some people don't realize it's bullshit. I've listened to a few of them wax poetic about his bullshit. I guess it represents some kind of democratization of art - from the requirements of talent, ideas, a story to tell, or even human emotion.

lol

Maybe he became known for the wrong thing.  Is the rest of the movie worth watching?  I checked out the movie with the "back and forth with the same poop.  Forever..." scene, but that scene was really all I needed.  I could see this movie being another instance of that.  But if every other scene's a doozy like that one, I'm in.

Cook some meat and gravy. Rice and gravy is the best food.

Also, who the fuck freezes rice? Just not a thing I've ever heard of doing.

SFWP: My routine has been out of whack all week and I got sick somehow from this I guess? But not like sick enough to do anything about it, just massively tired and without energy and a little cough/lightly-feverish.

I've never heard of freezing rice, but would make things easier. A single meal for me always leaves me with about 6 peoples worth, it's impossible to gauge.

It'll probably be fine in the fridge for a few days, just whack in the microwave for 2 minutes before eating (hoping you have a microwave)

I'm more worried that people don't just eat the leftover rice because rice super cheap, so just throw a little away if necessary but you shouldn't because it is delicious and can and SHOULD be used in lots of dishes. Too much rice? Cook something with it tomorrow. Still too much? Repeat. :)

I actually just read 10 minutes worth of reddit posts about people who freeze rice and why and they're weird pre-planners and people who don't wanna click a button on a rice cooker 30 minutes ahead of dinner time, mostly. 

This points out lots of good things to know if you are going to be weird and freeze your rice http://justbento.com/handbook/bento-basics/how-freezing-preportioned-rice

Cook some meat and gravy. Rice and gravy is the best food.

Also, who the fuck freezes rice? Just not a thing I've ever heard of doing.

SFWP: My routine has been out of whack all week and I got sick somehow from this I guess? But not like sick enough to do anything about it, just massively tired and without energy and a little cough/lightly-feverish.

Freeze rice all the time.

Spiral: just turn the rest into stir fry. Throw in some veggies, a little meat, the rice and then a little soy sauce and fry that up. Keep in the fridge. Should provide lunch for a couple of days at work.