IGNORED

stupid first world problems you're dealing with

Guest KY

1 minute ago, toaoaoad said:

On a semi related note, I read a few years ago that vintage POG collections are not worth anything at all. And probably never will be. Unless it's the Bart Simpson pog or a few select others. I still have my collection from...whenever that was, 94-95? Lol.  Well they're worth something to me :dadjoke:

The best pogs weren't the official ones but the cheaper ones that you could get, no name pogs, they had more interesting designs iirc. Still have my pogs too.

I was anti-pog in elementary school.  All my classmates were doing it, but I refused to partake.  Someone gave me their "eric the red" skull pog though, because my name's Eric and I have red hair.  Bet it's worth a mint.

Update:

I killed the Jews.  All of them.  I raised their holy city, I pillaged their towns.  I like to think I kept Isabella as a concubine.  I forced the Zulus into vassal status.  I didn't turn completely to the dark side as I also forced the Zulus to give up slavery and adopt the rigid social hierarchies of the caste system instead.  Killing Jews and bringing civilization to the African, I've never felt so European.     

• Burger 1
  • Farnsworth 2

19 minutes ago, dingformung said:

My neighbour is masturbating fervently while staring at my poop circle through his first floor window and it's making me self-conscious.

do you use a poop knife?

fwp ice storm is knocking out power everywhere in portland metro area. mine flickered while i was watching something and it turned off the TV, computer, modem. meanwhile there's people who might be w/o power for up to 10 days. that shit sucks. i still lived in miami when hurricane andrew hit and was w/o power for 17 days.  and price gouging douchebags in florida had a field day selling ice for like $10 a bag. chodes. 

so now my ice storm memory is making me think of shit times in miami.

Edited by ignatius
  • Haha 1
  • Burger 1

Since October, I've had a few mornings where I experience a mild sore throat which disappears in an hour or less.  Because of our present circumstances, I do my due diligence and setup a Covid test, usually getting my results the following day, and life resumes as normal.  The dilemma, aside form this being really annoying, is: if this were some non-cold related thing like laryngitis or whatever, how am I supposed to get diagnosed if I have to get a covid test every single time before seeing a doctor.  By the time I see a doctor I will have no symptoms... which I'm pretty sure are necessary for an assessment of any kind.  How do I get around this?  After reading up on as many throat related things I can find, it seems the most likely cause is simply "irritation".  I'm skeptical that a doctor making a flash assessment based on a 5 minute discussion with me is going to somehow have better insight than that.  

4 hours ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

Since October, I've had a few mornings where I experience a mild sore throat which disappears in an hour or less.  Because of our present circumstances, I do my due diligence and setup a Covid test, usually getting my results the following day, and life resumes as normal.  The dilemma, aside form this being really annoying, is: if this were some non-cold related thing like laryngitis or whatever, how am I supposed to get diagnosed if I have to get a covid test every single time before seeing a doctor.  By the time I see a doctor I will have no symptoms... which I'm pretty sure are necessary for an assessment of any kind.  How do I get around this?  After reading up on as many throat related things I can find, it seems the most likely cause is simply "irritation".  I'm skeptical that a doctor making a flash assessment based on a 5 minute discussion with me is going to somehow have better insight than that.  

Probably dry winter air.  I've had a constant sore throat and mucus buildup since October as well.  It's gotten a lot better since I started putting a metal basin of water on top of my space heater.

• Like 1

I'm thinking it's likely something along those lines.  Gotta moisturize my air or something.  might be difficult to do with the way my heater's set up.  it's a narrow little thing up against the wall.  maybe a metal basin in front of it?  i guess that's pretty logical.

My sore throat is so infrequent though... but still frequent enough to be a nuisance when I go through the motions of pretending it could be Covid every single time.  I'm trying to be a good citizen, but also think it's fucking stupid because I know whatever I have is insignificant.  I know I'm just going through the motions.  There's no fraction of me that believes there's any actual threat.  But I also know it's precisely this kind of thinking that keeps the pandemic spreading/kills off the vulnerable among us.  God damn.  Just can't win.

Edited by Zephyr_Nova

well the weather has been nothing but a stupid FWP the past few days here in Texas. a few inches of snow and days of below freezing temps (was 0F / -18C) here this morning) has really done a number on the infrastructure around here. it's just not set up to be able to handle this sort of thing. 

7 minutes ago, zero said:

well the weather has been nothing but a stupid FWP the past few days here in Texas. a few inches of snow and days of below freezing temps (was 0F / -18C) here this morning) has really done a number on the infrastructure around here. it's just not set up to be able to handle this sort of thing. 

You still have power? Got a lot of friends freezing their asses off in Houston.

8 hours ago, Extralife said:

You still have power? Got a lot of friends freezing their asses off in Houston.

read on twitter that people are chopping down trees to use them for firewood. 

Fucking international zoom meeting suck. This is a rather large group, so am required to sign in 30 minutes beforehand, which meant waking up at 5:25 this morning to log in at 5:30 for a 6:00 meeting. I only went to bed at 2:45ish. FML.

Caffeine isn't working either. Someone materialize me some amphetamine.

• Sad 1

I got a lululemon t-shirt for christmas from my sister. It's the most comfortable t-shirt I have ever worn, by a long shot. I would like to buy more like it but they are really expensive.  I am now wearing it for the 4th day in a row.

tl;dr I was given a 70€ t-shirt and now I can't go back to normal t-shirts humblebrag

Edited by Enthusiast

2 hours ago, drillkicker said:

It's easy to love wolves when you don't have to live near them.

Why should they kill these wolves?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Braintree said:

Why should they kill these wolves?

because they're stupid assholes. but really it's because ranches with cattle don't like the wolves because the wolves go after the cattle. meanwhile wolves have a hugely positive effect on environment and animal populations of different herds of elk and caribou and what not. 

the way predators shape environment is amazing. the prey aren't at ease and don't lounge around noshing on grass next to rivers and streams so all this foliage comes back which means other animals and birds that live in the brush come back and beavers build dams etc etc.. ecosystems become more self managed just because of an apex predator in the hood. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, ignatius said:

because they're stupid assholes. but really it's because ranches with cattle don't like the wolves because the wolves go after the cattle. meanwhile wolves have a hugely positive effect on environment and animal populations of different herds of elk and caribou and what not. 

the way predators shape environment is amazing. the prey aren't at ease and don't lounge around noshing on grass next to rivers and streams so all this foliage comes back which means other animals and birds that live in the brush come back and beavers build dams etc etc.. ecosystems become more self managed just because of an apex predator in the hood. 

I asked because there's clear bias in his statement.

5 hours ago, drillkicker said:

It's easy to love wolves when you don't have to live near them.

There are ways to prevent the wolves from tearing sheep that don't include killing them, such as high electric fences, water moats and/or alpacas and/or donkeys for alarm and defence. It's probably a bit more cost-intensive to make such preparations but better than killing all surrounding wildlife that disturbs you.

Keep in mind that the land you are using was taken away from a complex ecosystem and that you are a disturbance to that system. Have some respect and know your place. Or else mother earth will strike back one day.

• Like 2