IGNORED

stupid first world problems you're dealing with

Guest KY

well paying 6 month temp job offer working from home for a audio software dev probably gonna have to pass because impending nuisance surgery will put me out for a week or so right at beginning of a busy/demanding part of it. 

FML

• Sad 2

9 hours ago, ignatius said:

well paying 6 month temp job offer working from home for a audio software dev probably gonna have to pass because impending nuisance surgery will put me out for a week or so right at beginning of a busy/demanding part of it. 

FML

Not a FWP.

• Farnsworth 1

On 7/26/2021 at 9:33 PM, Zephyr_Nova said:

That sounds about right.  Looks very IDM tbh.  I wish I had a phone to capture video footage of it.

Had to buy a new phone.  Going to cost $15/month for 24 months + I have to pay $300 to finish paying off the pixel that broke.  That needs to be paid start of next month.  Ouch.  The pixel has a great camera, but it is the most fragile piec of technology I have ever owned.  It died after a gentle drop of nary 2 feet onto the floor of a pizza hut.  Not sure what to call the material that comprises this pizza hut's floor, but it's a hell of a lot softer than the tile and concrete my old phone used to get thrown upon on a routine basis.  That one hardly even sustained a scratch.  New one's a Samsung Galaxy.  Hopefully it's a little sturdier.

1 hour ago, rhmilo said:

Not a FWP.

yeah ignatius should be banned from this thread, his posts are always like, "the radiotherapy i'm getting for my 11th cancer gives me the appearance of a dried fucking plum and now i can't seduce my nurse - also i was given 6 months to live which means i won't be around for autechre's us tour 2022, it sucks - btw both my arms were amputated last week and my balls are itchy, can't even scratch them now, bummer". i'm sorry dude but i fail to see how any of this qualifies as fwps. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Burger 1

got a prisoner on a dirty protest this week (smearing shit all over the walls of his cell)

Lovely funky cheesy shit smell in the air

also a FWS though as we can claim money for each night we have to be around it 

• Burger 1
  • Big Brain 1

7 hours ago, brian trageskin said:

yeah ignatius should be banned from this thread, his posts are always like, "the radiotherapy i'm getting for my 11th cancer gives me the appearance of a dried fucking plum and now i can't seduce my nurse - also i was given 6 months to live which means i won't be around for autechre's us tour 2022, it sucks - btw both my arms were amputated last week and my balls are itchy, can't even scratch them now, bummer". i'm sorry dude but i fail to see how any of this qualifies as fwps. 

perhaps it's a modern problem. but perhaps the FWP is i'm getting kicked out of the FWP thread for being too cringe pathetic because none of my problems are FWP and are of a different problem classification that has no thread except for the cringe thread maybe. 

fwp? the people i hired to take care of the lawn stopped showing up. had to deal w/it myself over the weekend and have to find someone else to take care of it. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ignatius said:

none of my problems are FWP and are of a different problem classification that has no thread

your problems belong in the "the gods hate my guts for no reason" thread imo :wink: 

seriously though, i'm sorry to hear about your health problems. life's a bitch.

• Like 1

Just now, brian trageskin said:

your problems belong in the "the gods hate my guts for no reason" thread imo :wink: 

seriously though, i'm sorry to hear about your health problems. life's a bitch.

indeed. to me they just seem like FWP now because have had various nuisance type health issues since like 2004. so when there's a new one it's just one more thing. sometimes i laugh. literal lol at all of it because everything is absurd. i try to tone it all down as far as what i share w/people and where but sometimes it comes out in the FWP thread because it seems like a weird puzzle or task to complete before i can do normal things. 

but i digress..... 

fwp the little thin metal/rubber thing that is a liner in the root of my car over the side window flew off. it's fine for now but once it starts to rain it might cause a leak through the door frame. found the part on line. $75 for a stupid thing. 

43 minutes ago, ignatius said:

perhaps it's a modern problem. but perhaps the FWP is i'm getting kicked out of the FWP thread for being too cringe pathetic because none of my problems are FWP and are of a different problem classification that has no thread except for the cringe thread maybe. 

Being kicked out of the FWP thread is not in any way in itself an FWP.

It’s also not cringe. It’s more like “oof”.

45 minutes ago, ignatius said:

fwp? the people i hired to take care of the lawn stopped showing up. had to deal w/it myself over the weekend and have to find someone else to take care of it. 

Now this, this is an FWP. Congratulations, you get to stay.

• Like 1

I have proposed a "serious problems" thread a few times before, but no one ever takes the bait, least of all me.

My FWP is this fucking bumble woman who *accidentally* stood me up on Tues (misplaced her phone and forgot).  I confronted her in text, which lead to a reasonable explanation on her end + a rescheduling for this Sun (confirmed yesterday afternoon).  Then this morning I get a text saying she has to cancel because she's dating someone/doesn't have the energy to date multi/is still down for being friends.  WTF is this shit?  What an awkward way to start a friendship.  We haven't even met, but she's completely flaked on me once, and then set up a date which she immediately retracted... and wants to be friends?  Why?  Fuck man, what a dumb week.

PS I did reply with something like "I... think I'm down for being friends? but this is a really odd way to start a friendship" plus a bunch of rambly nonsense.

2 hours ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

I have proposed a "serious problems" thread a few times before, but no one ever takes the bait, least of all me.

My FWP is this fucking bumble woman who *accidentally* stood me up on Tues (misplaced her phone and forgot).  I confronted her in text, which lead to a reasonable explanation on her end + a rescheduling for this Sun (confirmed yesterday afternoon).  Then this morning I get a text saying she has to cancel because she's dating someone/doesn't have the energy to date multi/is still down for being friends.  WTF is this shit?  What an awkward way to start a friendship.  We haven't even met, but she's completely flaked on me once, and then set up a date which she immediately retracted... and wants to be friends?  Why?  Fuck man, what a dumb week.

PS I did reply with something like "I... think I'm down for being friends? but this is a really odd way to start a friendship" plus a bunch of rambly nonsense.

dude, making friends in late thirties is so weird, it's like buying a barely serviceable used car and convincing yourself you can cross a continent with it or somthing

the last date i've been on was with a woman who's really smart, but she drank six beers while i was on my second, and she listens exclusively to roots reggae

54 minutes ago, cichlisuite said:

she listens exclusively to roots reggae

immediate deal breaker unless the sex = cum/fard/shid/piss at the same time. even then it's a minimum of 2months longevity.  summer raver festival dub/reggae in USA is the lowest common denominator of like-ability. it's homogenized when the DJ has no personality and just wants to please the widest group of people enough for an hour or so. 

14 minutes ago, ignatius said:

immediate deal breaker unless the sex = cum/fard/shid/piss at the same time. even then it's a minimum of 2months longevity.  summer raver festival dub/reggae in USA is the lowest common denominator of like-ability. it's homogenized when the DJ has no personality and just wants to please the widest group of people enough for an hour or so. 

it was already a deal breaker with chugging beers like a trucker lol (and she's not fat at all idk how that works), i left after finishing my second beer and never looked back. as for the reggae, she's very particular, and i don't mind that, but she really doesn't listen to anything else, nor doesn't want to. also she is a living proof of someone being smart as a whip, but so narrow minded and arrogant about it, it doesn't even matter in the end...

and yeah, i've been to a seasplash reggae event once (about 109 years ago), that signature horn sound became a meme for a while but that's it

Edited by cichlisuite
  • Like 1

I am arguing with strangers that attack Ligeti and Schoenberg on contemporary music youtube videos.

I thought i had beaten my bad habit of arguing with strangers on the internet but i had a few horrible relapses.

Edited by thefxbip
  • Big Brain 2

On 7/11/2021 at 12:17 PM, TubularCorporation said:

So, I stopped using or updating Pro Tools around 2013 because it's a garbage program that I only used because I was doing freelance audio book editing at the time and the recordings were always delivered as Pro Tools sessions.  When the company I was freelancing for was bought out and shut down their local studio I never opened it again.  

There's a decent chance, though, that I'll be starting to do some audiobook work again this summer, so I figured I should get PT10 installed on the new laptop and practice a bit so I'll be able to work fast if I have to use it again.

And, surprise surprise, the PT-10 installer literally bricked my laptop, after the required reboot it couldn't get past BIOS. More specifically, it was the ilok driver, because I did manage to do a system restore eventually and rolled it back to this morning, before the ilok driver was installed.  Working fine again.

Anyhow, I've never seen a piece of non-malware do that (20 years ago something I downloaded erased my boot sector and it took me about 3 hours to figure out how to rebuild it since the DOS command isn't officially documented and I didn't have internet access at home).  

So Pro Tools 10 is just like I remembered it. 

Hopefully if I do get this work it'll be OK to render the raw recordings to a stem and do the actual editing and mastering in Reaper, where I have a better workflow, better performance, better stability, and plugins that actually sound good.

EDIT: also, even though I have the ilok drivers installed (doing it manually instead of from the PT10 installer works fine) and Pro Tools itself is loading, none of the bundled plugins recognize it - but that has been a problem since about 6 months after I first bought it, I'd just forgotten.  They worked fine out of the box, and then one day they just didn't and since then they've never worked on any computer or OS I've tried, I guess an ilok driver update must have broken compatibility and Avid didn't care to fix it because at that point they'd dropped AAX support anyway and fuck people using older versions of their software, right?

Avid is some evil shit im tellin' ya.

As far as I can tell, what happened is the PT10 installer tried to install a really old iLokdriver even though I have the current one installed.  Neither the PT10 installer nor the iLok installer ever detected that there was ANY version already installed.  When it got to the point where I had to reboot to complete the installation, the old iLok installer ran into some kind of issue because of the current drivers already being loaded and it just broke everything and stopped Windows from booting entirely.  I just rolled back the iLok installation completely and everything worked fine, even though the PT10 installer gave me a warning that there was no iLok driver installed (there was). That would be bad for C-tier 90s shareware.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, thefxbip said:

I am arguing with strangers that attack Ligeti and Schoenberg on contemporary music youtube videos.

someone should put a ligeti track on one of those videos where ulillillia is just doing janitorial work or degreasing a cheese pizza for 13 minutes

Edited by Cryptowen
  • Haha 1

On 7/27/2021 at 11:13 AM, Cryptowen said:

a restaurant employee seems to have chosen the spot just beneath my window as his new smoke break location, dude coughs like his lungs were beanie babies and he was trying to unload them before the bubble collapses

My window gets a lot of activity.  Last night a guy chose it as the spot to yell angrily across the street about how much he hates black people (using more controversial terminology).  It was my least favorite thing to wake up to.

By the way, I found the thing I lost.  After I gave up on finding it I pulled out a plastic bag from my bag box and put the next day's lunch in it.  The next day while eating lunch I happened to find the lost item inside my lunch bag.  It was more confusing than ooqpoo's water cupholders.

• Haha 1
  • Big Brain 1

Couldn't find my van keys earlier today because I left them in the ignition when I went to grab toothpaste from inside.  lol.  Was a few minutes late to my first delivery, which just happened to be from the annoying Subway lady that always points out when the food's been ready for a while.  She's the only restaurant worker in the entire city who gives a shit about that.  Literally never heard a comment like that from anyone else in over 3000 deliveries.  I should let her know sometime.

Extra funny too, because the times where I'm not late, I always end up having to wait around in there.  She's always clearly stressing about it and being apologetic, and I just don't care.  My response is always "no worries," same as any reasonable person in the food industry.  I should act exasperated next time so she feels less alone.

Edited by Zephyr_Nova
  • Like 1