IGNORED

stupid first world problems you're dealing with

Guest KY

it doesn't have any obvious wounds. hard to say. it's a youngster though. the way it's lying there suggests it just kinda...collapsed. this has happened once before, and it breaks my heart to see it. these deer use my backyard as a sort of safe space where they know dogs and humans won't bother them, and for taking naps in the evening. they often just lay around the area while I'm out there reading or gardening. 

last time i dealt with this I called around to see about the proper thing to do and was told that letting nature do its decomposition dance is the best option. I'll relocate it to a place inaccessible to most scavengers. that's sadly the best I can do. as much as a grave feels like the respectful thing to do, a reasonably deep one would be quite a project, especially since I'm likely to run into tree roots everywhere...

I really do wish I knew what caused it to die. dunno much about deer diseases. tons of deer in the US have COVID, so I deliberately keep my distance from them in case I'm asymptomatic, but idk how many die from it. I've seen a few with mange but this one seemed healthy. o death. 

• Like 1

made this soup recipe i found on line. turned out good. i amended it some and it turned out spicy.. too spicy. i ate it though because it's good... but now i'm feeling the spice. i made a lot of it so will be eating tomorrow and perhaps saturday as well. hiatal hernia be damned. 

also, my fav chocolate syrup has been discontinued. 

Santa-Cruz-Organic-Chocolate-Flavored-Sy

Edited by ignatius

That sucks bro. Ages ago the wife had a college friend who worked for Santa Cruz (or whatever parent company) and gave us like $200 in free (as in real estate) product coupons.  Lived the hi life for a few weeks but man the comedown was hard.

Related FWP, Paiste has discontinued indefinitely their cymbal cleaner polish, which makes no sense b/c it's the best out there and has kept my *redacted* cymbals looking great for years now. I'm down to a 1/4 bottle, and every couple of months I suffer the indignity of a google search that eventually leads to page 16 of some thread on some drummer's forum (not unlike this one) only to find out no, they're still not making it.

• Sad 1

Woman in a Uhaul truck backed into my front bumper.  She honked once before immediately backing up.  My van was off, and my keys were not in the ignition, so it was literally impossible for me to respond fast enough.  She got out of the truck and was like "didn't you hear me honk?"  Yeah, I did, and it was totally useless.  Nice one.  No major damage, but there is a minor indent, and half of the front bottom panel is loose.  I don't think there's any compensation I can get for it, as my insurance covers fuck all, and there's really no way to prove she was at fault.

7 minutes ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

Woman in a Uhaul truck backed into my front bumper.  She honked once before immediately backing up.  My van was off, and my keys were not in the ignition, so it was literally impossible for me to respond fast enough.  She got out of the truck and was like "didn't you hear me honk?"  Yeah, I did, and it was totally useless.  Nice one.  No major damage, but there is a minor indent, and half of the front bottom panel is loose.  I don't think there's any compensation I can get for it, as my insurance covers fuck all, and there's really no way to prove she was at fault.

everyone knows if you honk once then you can do whatever you want and it's not your fault. 

• Like 1
  • Farnsworth 1

1 hour ago, BobDobalina said:

That sucks bro. Ages ago the wife had a college friend who worked for Santa Cruz (or whatever parent company) and gave us like $200 in free (as in real estate) product coupons.  Lived the hi life for a few weeks but man the comedown was hard.

Related FWP, Paiste has discontinued indefinitely their cymbal cleaner polish, which makes no sense b/c it's the best out there and has kept my *redacted* cymbals looking great for years now. I'm down to a 1/4 bottle, and every couple of months I suffer the indignity of a google search that eventually leads to page 16 of some thread on some drummer's forum (not unlike this one) only to find out no, they're still not making it.

it was $5 and lasted a long time. i'd only use it when i made this one coffee/peanutbutter/frozen banana smoothie or that one time in the month when i got some vanilla desert thing. i checked amazon and it was listed at $19 and out of stock. there's some on ebay but wtf not gonna make it a thing. adapt or be miserable.

2 hours ago, ignatius said:

it was $5 and lasted a long time. i'd only use it when i made this one coffee/peanutbutter/frozen banana smoothie or that one time in the month when i got some vanilla desert thing. i checked amazon and it was listed at $19 and out of stock. there's some on ebay but wtf not gonna make it a thing. adapt or be miserable.

In lieu of something fancier or organic, this one is actually pretty good for a transitional (and affordable) solution…

spacer.png

• Like 1

I've griped here before about recruiting but this really takes the cake. Amazon added me automatically as a job candidate to their systems just based on the public data they could find on me. I have never ever applied to work in Amazon. WTF is this bullshit?

So, I sent them the request to immediately delete my data as is my right as an EU citizen. They haven't processed it yet but in the reply there was an interesting bit in the automatic reply:

Please note that data subject rights, such as the right to erasure or the right to access your personal data, is not applicable in all countries. Should we find that the laws of your country do not grant such rights to current or former employees, candidates or contingent workers (whichever may be applicable to your case), we will not process your data subject request.

So they will delete the data only if they are legally required to. This is some next level bullshit. Amazon keeps a job candidate database without the consent of the "candidates".

Amazon basically just decides that they can treat anyone as their potential slave.

On 7/21/2022 at 9:07 PM, BobDobalina said:

Related FWP, Paiste has discontinued indefinitely their cymbal cleaner polish

that bad boy have an ingredients list? you could reverse engineer the shit. stock up the chemical supply, get all mad scientist on it in the Bob Dob home work shop... 

48 minutes ago, zkom said:

Amazon basically just decides that they can treat anyone as their potential slave.

I often times wonder how intentional some of that Dr. evil level data mining stuff you mentioned is. like did someone in the company decide this is going to be how it is? or did some team overlook some process, and it resulted in their system grabbing your work profile, possibly from linkedin. Linkedin was under heavy scrutiny at one point about all that data mining bullshit they were doing. possibly Amazon and linkedin (or some other similar site that your resume / CV is on) have some partnership, some team set up systems to talk to each other, and it starts looking for matching criteria. then next thing you know you got added to Amazon's applicant system without your knowledge. not trying to defend this at all, because I too think it is wrong...or yeah...Bezos is looking to enslave the entire world so he can sell us products for eternity, ha!

2 hours ago, zero said:

I often times wonder how intentional some of that Dr. evil level data mining stuff you mentioned is. like did someone in the company decide this is going to be how it is? or did some team overlook some process, and it resulted in their system grabbing your work profile, possibly from linkedin. Linkedin was under heavy scrutiny at one point about all that data mining bullshit they were doing. possibly Amazon and linkedin (or some other similar site that your resume / CV is on) have some partnership, some team set up systems to talk to each other, and it starts looking for matching criteria. then next thing you know you got added to Amazon's applicant system without your knowledge. not trying to defend this at all, because I too think it is wrong...or yeah...Bezos is looking to enslave the entire world so he can sell us products for eternity, ha!

Yeah, it's most likely just my LinkedIn profile. LinkedIn provides an API for companies to search for "talents". I guess there's nothing really to stop the companies to just upload the data they find to their own database.

In my head the scenario for the whole thing plays out something like this: HR or whoever is responsible for recruiting at Amazon has some sort of quota for candidates, but they can't fill their quota because people just ignore the Amazon recruiters so instead of contacting the people first they start storing the potential applicants directly to the database. Basically corporate bullshit.

But how is this good look for Amazon anyway? They need to sort of shanghai people to be candidates. Meanwhile people are willing to jump through lots of hoops to go work at Google. And who would want to apply for a job at Amazon if they treat, not even the candidates, but the potential candidates like this. How are you going to be treated as an employee in this kind of environment?

• Like 1

On 7/17/2022 at 1:18 PM, usagi said:

congrats on your newfound faith.

Most of the security guards around town know me now, so it is difficult to get away with 'it' these days.  However, ladies entrance at the local mosque, they haven't cottoned on yet.   It's close to a bus stop so I just pretend I'm waiting for a bus.

Edited by kakapo

I recently became a Jehovah's Witness. I sit on that bench in town, the one near Shoe Zone with my leaflet trolley and get ignored all day. It’s a sweet gig. 

On 7/23/2022 at 9:59 AM, zero said:

that bad boy have an ingredients list? you could reverse engineer the shit. stock up the chemical supply, get all mad scientist on it in the Bob Dob home work shop... 

This is the bad boy in question and no ingredients list in sight (we're thru the proprietary formula looking glass mon ami) and while I'd love to try this, my edumacation stopped well short of applied inorganic chemistry.  Plus cleaning cymbals is a dangerous game, they're these nice, expensive instruments, and it's easy to take a wrong turn, wander down a road paved with best cleaning intentions only find you've made shit worse.  Thankfully I've learned this through online horror stories rather than mistakes of my own and I plan to keep it that way!

CymbCleanerP-large.jpg

3 hours ago, Plum said:

I recently became a Jehovah's Witness. I sit on that bench in town, the one near Shoe Zone with my leaflet trolley and get ignored all day. It’s a sweet gig. 

404 FWP not found.

I didn't know this until recently, but apparently there are Russian Jehovah's Witnesses, and they proselytize hard in this one park here in Providence with a trolley that I can only assume is the Cyrillic version of yours, which is weird b/c the Russian community in the area is quite small to begin with.  I know y'all are connected through antimatter Jesus so can you ask what their deal is?

Edited by BobDobalina
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Plum said:

i once had a chat with 2 young JWs who approached me while i was sitting on a bench. at one point i asked them when the bible was written, who the authors were and how come it was a sacred book despite the fact that it was written by human beans - not to own them or anything, i genuinely wanted to know. they told me they didn't know exactly, other than the fact that it was written by different people who were divinely inspired. they said they would ask their church or whatever it's called and meet me on that bench the next day if i was interested, which i accepted. they came the next day with some answers and invited me to their church, which i declined. i've learned more about the bible since then, obviously. 

all this to say, nothing really. 

• Haha 1

Was that the bench by the big Tesco? If so, that was Simon Cunningford and Michael Cunningford (weirdly they’re not related). They are useless! They don’t even have leaflet trolleys. If they did, they’d know the answer to your basic bitch questions. All the answers are there in black & white. I’ve pm’d you a PDF leaflet.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, brian trageskin said:

i once had a chat with 2 young JWs who approached me while i was sitting on a bench. at one point i asked them when the bible was written, who the authors were and how come it was a sacred book despite the fact that it was written by human beans - not to own them or anything, i genuinely wanted to know. they told me they didn't know exactly, other than the fact that it was written by different people who were divinely inspired. they said they would ask their church or whatever it's called and meet me on that bench the next day if i was interested, which i accepted. they came the next day with some answers and invited me to their church, which i declined. i've learned more about the bible since then, obviously. 

all this to say, nothing really. 

When I was young and working at a municipal library my coworker was a JW. She tried to get me to join JWs by telling me that they don't have to do the military service or civil service in Finland. Too bad I had just finished my military service a couple of months earlier.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, zkom said:

When I was young and working at a municipal library my coworker was a JW. She tried to get me to join JWs by telling me that they don't have to do the military service or civil service in Finland. Too bad I had just finished my military service a couple of months earlier.

ha! so you join their religion in order to escape civic duties. church 1. state 0. church wins!

10 minutes ago, zero said:

ha! so you join their religion in order to escape civic duties. church 1. state 0. church wins!

It sounded like an interesting idea to join something that's basically a cult to just escape a 6 months of service.

49 minutes ago, zkom said:

It sounded like an interesting idea to join something that's basically a cult to just escape a 6 months of service.

Plus free leaflet trolley. Win-win. 

Related to the JWs, sometimes I've wondered if I should join some extreme religious organization or cult just for shits and giggles. How quickly would they spot that I wasn't there sincerely? I would guess there is some kind of common pattern of behavior the new recruits go through and if you deviate too much they start to suspect something's up. Like if you're just too eager to accept everything in face value it seems suspicious. Also maybe I would need some backstory why I seem like a likely candidate. A recovering alcoholic or some other personal problem.

14 hours ago, zkom said:

Related to the JWs, sometimes I've wondered if I should join some extreme religious organization or cult just for shits and giggles. How quickly would they spot that I wasn't there sincerely? I would guess there is some kind of common pattern of behavior the new recruits go through and if you deviate too much they start to suspect something's up. Like if you're just too eager to accept everything in face value it seems suspicious. Also maybe I would need some backstory why I seem like a likely candidate. A recovering alcoholic or some other personal problem.

JWs shun "worldly" people. so anyone not in the cult is not associated with in a meaningful way. if people in the JWs are venturing out into the world they are referred to as "worldly" and can be shunned if the behavior isn't changed. 

they're also pretty fucked up for lot's of reasons. back in my 20s i had a long term relationship w/someone who used to be a JW. lot's of fucked up stories. covered up abuse etc.  met one or two other people who were her friends and sort of half in the JW. they later went back to the church after getting married, abandoning their talents and passions and basically settling down into a very conventional beige life built on denial of worldly pursuits like writing or making music etc. it's weird shit. not saying that's how it goes for everyone everywhere but that was what i learned about the JWs.  there's a JW Kingdom hall down the street from me about a mile. i sent a pic of it to my ex who i'm still friends with. she never went back to the church. she said there's on near her too and she hates seeing it and wishes it would burn down... but otherwise doesn't think about it much.  her life is really good and has been a long time.  

18 hours ago, zkom said:

well that Heaven's Gate cult pushed their members to castrate themselves. are you willing to go whole hog on this endeavor? 'cause I'd think if you sliced off your own package, then they'd know you're not a faker.

14 hours ago, ignatius said:

JWs shun "worldly" people. so anyone not in the cult is not associated with in a meaningful way. if people in the JWs are venturing out into the world they are referred to as "worldly" and can be shunned if the behavior isn't changed. 

they're also pretty fucked up for lot's of reasons. back in my 20s i had a long term relationship w/someone who used to be a JW. lot's of fucked up stories. covered up abuse etc.  met one or two other people who were her friends and sort of half in the JW. they later went back to the church after getting married, abandoning their talents and passions and basically settling down into a very conventional beige life built on denial of worldly pursuits like writing or making music etc. it's weird shit. not saying that's how it goes for everyone everywhere but that was what i learned about the JWs.  there's a JW Kingdom hall down the street from me about a mile. i sent a pic of it to my ex who i'm still friends with. she never went back to the church. she said there's on near her too and she hates seeing it and wishes it would burn down... but otherwise doesn't think about it much.  her life is really good and has been a long time.  

Yep, and for example they have a ban on blood transfusions that has killed a lot of people, including children. I had a JW kid on my class back in school and he couldn't even eat the Finnish blood pancakes that were served for lunch at the school now and then.

Also the JW lady at the library was super fucking annoying. I was glad that she left but then she got rehired later. :facepalm: She wouldn't shut up about the fucking Jehova's Witnesses and I don't know if she was stupid but kind of really simple and gullible, if you know what I mean.

But I once met a young Mongolian woman who turned out to be a JW. I would never have guessed. She arranged for me a tour in the Gobi desert and gave instructions to buy vodka in small bottles to sacrifice to a mountain god and the Mongolian sky god and various other instructions on how to connect to the Buddhist Shambala kingdom via some transdimensional gate in Gobi. Lol. What the hell.. Later she was trying to get me to buy Mongolian yurts.

• Like 1