IGNORED

stupid first world problems you're dealing with

Guest KY

22 minutes ago, zero said:

I know you were being sarcastic, but on a serious note - my wife and I's music tastes are not what got the flame started many years ago. before her, I used to think I had a type, which meant the person I thought I'd end up with should be knowledgeable of the same social scene, cultural references, inside jokes, etc. but after riding the marriage wave for a minute now, I'd say it's best to look at the human elements of the other person, rather than anything more surface level - like music/art tastes. like does this person seem happy, carefree, good-natured...doesn't complain about things, and instead can easily go with the flow. personality characteristics like this in a person that are genuine, are the things that imo naturally keep one human attached to another human long term. has worked for me so far. good luck with finding that. 

for sure. I've only dated a few people that had music tastes similar to mine, and while the old mix CDs from those relationships are still some of the most vivid and amazing emotional memory-banks I possess, similar tastes in cultural artifacts alone will definitely not sustain a happy relationship. the class of traits you listed are indeed more important. I do think, though, that a similar way of seeing / moving through the world, of searching, of humor, a similar way of hoping to explore existence and grow into it, is necessary (for me anyway idk) - so that both people can not only love each other face to face, but walk together shoulder to shoulder. 

Edited by luke viia
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, user said:

SFWP; I'm attempting to write an application letter. It's taken me around four hours to write 179 words across four paragraphs. It's not easy being a stupid first world person.

Wasted like 3 hours trying to find a way around giving my phone# to chat gpt so it could finish the letter for me, then tried building a chatgpt from some github repo and upload that to a discord chan which took ages as the xcode tools installer kept hanging, then found out I still needed a openai key and to get one I'd need to give up my phone number. Then I found out I could just add an existing chatgpt to my channel and then realized it was useless. So I finally finished writing the letter at 5 am,  spent another hour tweaking it and my resume and waited until 9 before sending it out so as not to come across as some weirdo night dweller. This is 2 pages of text btw, I'm not some kind of jobbernaut. FWS; They phoned me back this afternoon and after some chatting I got invited for an interview. Hurray.

• Like 1

my advice: @luke viia

don't go for intellectual likeness... it's cool to know that you probably have nothing in common because what you admire in the beginning of a relationship just ends up getting tiresome after a while... just like those little habits that you have that they/you find funny in the beginning but later on they're annoying af... you've seen it in the movies and probs experienced it already... the most fun I had with a girlfriend we had close to nothing in common... and the common just grew up...

oh and fucking nostalgia, when you break up (if you do eventually) you'll have so much things that are gonna remind you of they...

Edited by cruising for burgers
  • Burger 2

My fiio bta30 pro that I use for transmitting music from computer to stereo stopped working, the status button keeps flashing. It’s either the device or my computer but probably not my computer.  It’s really all I know when it comes to what I want it to do so if I can’t figure it out soon I’ll probably just buy another one :catcry:

23 minutes ago, YEK said:

My fiio bta30 pro that I use for transmitting music from computer to stereo stopped working, the status button keeps flashing. It’s either the device or my computer but probably not my computer.  It’s really all I know when it comes to what I want it to do so if I can’t figure it out soon I’ll probably just buy another one :catcry:

how do u exactly use that thingie?

xxxxx -> xxxxx -> xxxxx    ???

4 minutes ago, cruising for burgers said:

how do u exactly use that thingie?

xxxxx -> xxxxx -> xxxxx    ???

Plug it into usb in computer, set to transmit on device,  it shows up as soundcard, select.  Turn on itunes and then you press some buttons on the thing and some buttons on the stereo to pair them. Easy peasy 

1 hour ago, YEK said:

Plug it into usb in computer, set to transmit on device,  it shows up as soundcard, select.  Turn on itunes and then you press some buttons on the thing and some buttons on the stereo to pair them. Easy peasy 

so that thingie is basically a soundcard that transmits bluetooth? what do u transmit to your stereo? how come your stereo receives bluetooth?

https://forum.watmm.com/topic/103680-streaming-computer-to-stereo/#comment-2943459

Edited by cruising for burgers

9 minutes ago, cruising for burgers said:

so where does the FM/AM radio receiver fits on that chain?

Nowhere.  The signal is going from computer to stereo. I don’t even listen to my radio. Perhaps if you’re really interested, find an article on this stuff because I’m having trouble explaining. 
My new receiver is a Marantz nr1200 and it’s a streaming receiver so you can listen to music on it from your computer or phone and also spotify and all those services if you’re into that. 

44 minutes ago, YEK said:

Nowhere.  The signal is going from computer to stereo. I don’t even listen to my radio. Perhaps if you’re really interested, find an article on this stuff because I’m having trouble explaining. 
My new receiver is a Marantz nr1200 and it’s a streaming receiver so you can listen to music on it from your computer or phone and also spotify and all those services if you’re into that. 

Harsh.

Here's a 39 page thread on a hifi-forum in which the fiio people also post, perhaps this can help you troubleshoot?

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fiio-bta30,hi-fi-desktop-bluetooth-receiver-transmitter,rca-optical-coaxial-interface.926876/page-33

1 hour ago, YEK said:

I did research but was extremely confused cause on the other thread's pic you have a radio receiver...

the track saw rail I use at work is slipping roughly 1/8" over a ten foot span and it is REALLY irritating. the anti slip pad seems fine and I think it's doing this because the boards I have to trim are slightly cupped/warped, which is also a giant pain in the ass since I can't clamp any of it bc of the type of cuts I'm doing, and fixing the boards themselves isn't an option bc our table planer is out of commission and I'm the one that's supposed to fix it, but I've never actually used this somewhat ancient planer nor have I ever replaced a fancy planer's cutter head and I'll probably kill someone (me) if I try it unsupervised. my boss has never replaced the head on this thing either, so he's no help, and the only mechanically inclined guy I have access to is known to move way too fast, lose things, force parts into position etc. ffs

1/8"

• Big Brain 1

On 7/3/2023 at 1:07 PM, cruising for burgers said:

my advice: @luke viia

don't go for intellectual likeness... it's cool to know that you probably have nothing in common because what you admire in the beginning of a relationship just ends up getting tiresome after a while... just like those little habits that you have that they/you find funny in the beginning but later on they're annoying af... you've seen it in the movies and probs experienced it already... the most fun I had with a girlfriend we had close to nothing in common... and the common just grew up...

oh and fucking nostalgia, when you break up (if you do eventually) you'll have so much things that are gonna remind you of they...

ah I didn't really mean intellectual likeness, did a bad job explaining myself in that post, but I get what you mean. I was trying to describe a similar outlook on life in general. I know what I'm after. :cat: best wishes to all the watmm lovers out there

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, luke viia said:

the track saw rail I use at work is slipping roughly 1/8" over a ten foot span and it is REALLY irritating. the anti slip pad seems fine and I think it's doing this because the boards I have to trim are slightly cupped/warped, which is also a giant pain in the ass since I can't clamp any of it bc of the type of cuts I'm doing, and fixing the boards themselves isn't an option bc our table planer is out of commission and I'm the one that's supposed to fix it, but I've never actually used this somewhat ancient planer nor have I ever replaced a fancy planer's cutter head and I'll probably kill someone (me) if I try it unsupervised. my boss has never replaced the head on this thing either, so he's no help, and the only mechanically inclined guy I have access to is known to move way too fast, lose things, force parts into position etc. ffs

1/8"

I feel your pain, warped boards are the worst. You're probably already doing this or something similar and it's time consuming but in situations like these I usually end up marking the cut on both sides with a square and then plane or sand the cut as square as possible. 

• Like 1

idk if anyone else has that friend who makes way more money than you do and texts you pictures of their globetrotting and new additions to their house and shit but goddamn it's a real sfwp. I finally told my buddy - an incredibly nice person I've known for twenty years and who is not intentionally lording it over me - that he was making me feel like a loser, and he replied "woah woah woah I'm not saying I'm actually adding the second story to the house, we don't know if we can afford it" and I ended up apologizing for offending him 

:facepalm:

• Farnsworth 1

my doctor thinks I might have sleep apnea. have to go get a mask and test it out over the next week.. my apple watch keeps telling me my heart rate goes below 40 every night, maybe I'm just a zen monk in my dreams but I doubt it. my grandpa has this but he's severely overweight, i'm not.. thought when I date someone again it could be a cute moment every night.. she goes.. tell me.. why do you wear the mask.. and I can make up something every night.. so I have more oxygen to look at your face tomorrow you absolute babe :lol:

i remember my first gf waking me up once in the middle of the night.. was sleeping so quietly, breathing so slowly she thought I died in my sleep. was pretty funny

Edited by chronical

10 hours ago, chronical said:

my doctor thinks I might have sleep apnea. have to go get a mask and test it out over the next week.. my apple watch keeps telling me my heart rate goes below 40 every night, maybe I'm just a zen monk in my dreams but I doubt it. my grandpa has this but he's severely overweight, i'm not.. thought when I date someone again it could be a cute moment every night.. she goes.. tell me.. why do you wear the mask.. and I can make up something every night.. so I have more oxygen to look at your face tomorrow you absolute babe :lol:

i remember my first gf waking me up once in the middle of the night.. was sleeping so quietly, breathing so slowly she thought I died in my sleep. was pretty funny

you sleep w/the watch on? my brothers and my dad have sleep apnea. the mask really helps. they make small little nasal canula ones now.  i did the sleep test at home. had to wear this thing on my hand/wrist that tracks all the things then dropped it off at the doctor's office. turns out i'm just shitty at sleeping. 

2 minutes ago, ignatius said:

you sleep w/the watch on? my brothers and my dad have sleep apnea. the mask really helps. they make small little nasal canula ones now.  i did the sleep test at home. had to wear this thing on my hand/wrist that tracks all the things then dropped it off at the doctor's office. turns out i'm just shitty at sleeping. 

yeah I bought the watch mostly to monitor my body, it's been really interesting to track sleep cycles, heart rate working out, time standing, blood oxygen and just overall cardiovascular health over time. mostly while trying to steer my body away from depression, wasn't expecting it to tell me my heart is too slow every morning though! kinda scary to be honest. If I do happen to have sleep apnea that might explain the constantly being tired I've been trying to wrestle.. did it make a big difference waking up in the morning for your family members?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, chronical said:

yeah I bought the watch mostly to monitor my body, it's been really interesting to track sleep cycles, heart rate working out, time standing, blood oxygen and just overall cardiovascular health over time. mostly while trying to steer my body away from depression, wasn't expecting it to tell me my heart is too slow every morning though! kinda scary to be honest. If I do happen to have sleep apnea that might explain the constantly being tired I've been trying to wrestle.. did it make a big difference waking up in the morning for your family members?

my younger brother told me it was a life changing thing for him.  sleeps great every night now. when not getting good deep sleep i guess it causes fatigue and nodding off etc during the day. 

i got one of the Kardia devices to check for atrial fibrillation. works well and puts me at ease when i think my heart is doing weird shit and was only $80. but can't wear it to bed of course. thought about getting the apple watch but didn't want to spend the $ and have another apple thing in my life... but seems a useful health thing to have. 

26 minutes ago, ignatius said:

my younger brother told me it was a life changing thing for him.  sleeps great every night now. when not getting good deep sleep i guess it causes fatigue and nodding off etc during the day. 

i got one of the Kardia devices to check for atrial fibrillation. works well and puts me at ease when i think my heart is doing weird shit and was only $80. but can't wear it to bed of course. thought about getting the apple watch but didn't want to spend the $ and have another apple thing in my life... but seems a useful health thing to have. 

You know it's one thing for your psyche to be a little wonky but not knowing if your heart is working right or if your brain gets enough oxygen is a real doozy. I want to grow old as shit, not unexpectedly die on some Monday. Just checked the Kardia and that seems to do the same as the arrythmia check on the watch. It's nice to have a portable EKG :lol: It's actually pretty cool how advanced the software behind Apple's measurements is.. Apparently data from the watch 8 which can measure body temp helped build medical data for understanding menstrual cycles for women better. The sleep cycle tracking is really good according to this guy:

Spoiler

Probably loads of machine learning involved. It sounds stupid but I kind of hope I have sleep apnea now. For a long time now I've felt like everyone around me just has the energy of Sisyphus on a daily basis

Edited by chronical
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, chronical said:

edbX6WM_jN2RV11ncuBkqzc_fuBblcqF2QHC6lyu1Z0.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2