IGNORED

stupid first world problems you're dealing with

Guest KY

17 minutes ago, Squee said:

Can't get my new studio to sound right!!!!!! FUCK!!!!!!!

how does it sound wrong? on that note I just finished moving mine and my TD-3-MO is sounding a little off. not as squelchy. I hope it's not borked and I was just too tired to realise the problem yesterday

edit: was too tired, it used to go into a mackie channel where I could EQ instead of directly into the interface.. with a midiverb send.. haha.. I win again.. against myself

Edited by chronical

1 hour ago, cichlisuite said:

it's 35+ years old and it shows with random leaks in the attic. they are minor, but when there's heavy rain for several days (like the last two summers), the water flow increases in random places (probably being funnelled around between and below the tiling). it's tegola canadese type of roof, and in some places moss started to grow. it's also past its resilience(?) warranty, which is about 25-30 years. i went up last summer to examine the tiles and fix anything (bought some spares), but i found out i can't just hammer the nails into a mushy wood underneath. that patch was particularly in bad condition.

now i wonder if i'm able to save up enough money until next august, 'cause, no sir, i ain't takin any of your loans

oof. yeah.. the plywood underneath is when it gets extra expensive. but if you're lucky they only have to replace sections of the plywood and not the whole thing??? fingers crossed. roofs.. what a pain in the ass. i don't have a modular synth anymore but i do have a new roof. 

1 hour ago, chronical said:

how does it sound wrong? on that note I just finished moving mine and my TD-3-MO is sounding a little off. not as squelchy. I hope it's not borked and I was just too tired to realise the problem yesterday

edit: was too tired, it used to go into a mackie channel where I could EQ instead of directly into the interface.. with a midiverb send.. haha.. I win again.. against myself

There’s something up with the low end as I’m not able to hear low low frequencies.  And the highs sound hard as fuck. All my old mixes sound horrible.

I’ve been listening to sound effects I know and listen to each and every day and the stereo perspective is all wrong. 

I even calibrated my speakers but that didn’t help at all. 

It could be due to some stupid reflections so I’m going to try out some acoustic fixes. 

11 hours ago, ignatius said:

oof. yeah.. the plywood underneath is when it gets extra expensive. but if you're lucky they only have to replace sections of the plywood and not the whole thing??? fingers crossed. roofs.. what a pain in the ass. i don't have a modular synth anymore but i do have a new roof. 

i think i'm past the option to replace only bad sections if i think long-term. the way this roof was built was wrong from the start. at that time my father opted for this type of roof, but it was still a novelty in our country so no one really knew how to tile it properly. they nailed the tiles directly onto the plywood below instead of making another water-proof layer in-between. where i'm at is that i hope the main support beams are still ok, or i'll have to replace those as well. so, yeah, i just want to replace the whole thing and put clay tiles on instead. something to work for the next 30 years with no problems (with proper maintenance, of course).

i don't have a modular synth anymore but i do have a new roof. 

right? sometimes you have to make sacrifices that redefine your priorities in the big picture 😉

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, toaoaoad said:

we really have messed ourselves up with these phones, the dependency and all that. 

100% agree. most of society is completely and totally addicted to their devices. I have to travel for work regularly. sometimes when I'm sitting in the airport, I look for people not starring down at their phones. there's hardly any of them. everyone is sitting starring head down, looking at the little screen in their hand. we are all addicts to them.

this is not like a groundbreaking realization or anything, but as you are getting at here, the psychological impact cannot be understated. especially with children. I have seen my kid grow completely addicted to the tablet. I don't know what to do to stop it either. I mean I grew up playing hours of video games, but there's some difference between looking at a larger television screen that everyone in the room can see, and a fit in your hand screen, where you can have a much larger degree of privacy. there's more of a level of intimacy with a device, and then this feeds some sort of dependency module in our brains, or something like that would be my guess.

where is this all heading is what I wonder sometimes. implanting screens in our heads is next, I suppose. this seemed like such a sci-fi idea decades ago, and now I can imagine people lining up to have phones injected into their brains. I'm just glad I grew up before all this started. but for the future generations of humans, yeah, they are gonna be a pretty psychologically messed up bunch.

• Farnsworth 1

^ It's always a more relaxed day at work if I forget to take my phone with me in the morning. Not having this that dam device laying there threatening to ring at any moment is a huge booster to wellbeing. Gone too is the temptation to use it for entertainment/listening purposes, which, once over the initial annoyance at not having access to youtube/podcasts etc, also adds to to calmness and focus on here and now, and you pretty quickly get used the slower time flow that occurs outside of these devices. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, toaoaoad said:

Welp I seem to have busted my phone, really don't feel like trying to go out and deal with it this late in the day so I'm chilling here with no phone for the evening. Man what an uncomfortable feeling it is. This is such a tired and boomery rant but we really have messed ourselves up with these phones, the dependency and all that. I'll have to endure this undercurrent of anxiety all evening - what if it can't be repaired and I lose all my shit, for one - but I mean just the anxiety of not being able to use the thing. Some kind of separation anxiety. Sort of like the panic when you accidentally leave the house without it, but leveled up. What will I do? Go to bed early maybe, hah

keep your shit on an external SD card? or is your phone an iPhone or a recent fancy one that doesn't come with an SD card port?

4 hours ago, zero said:

and now I can imagine people lining up to have phones injected into their brains

I think I've seen something like that recently on a movie or something?

Edited by cruising for burgers

On 10/20/2023 at 2:53 PM, fumi said:

Yeah, they can whistle for that.

Screenshot 2023-10-20 at 19.46.26.png

that's pc right? there's and app for android, YouTube Revanced, no more adds and u can close the browser window and the video/music won't stop...

2 minutes ago, toaoaoad said:

I don't think we'll ever have them implanted, it's already a thriving industry making us regularly buy new shit etc.

maintenance... they'll charge for that, and then u can also go to the black market get shitty used implants that fry your brain...

• Farnsworth 1

18 hours ago, cruising for burgers said:

I think I've seen something like that recently on a movie or something?

no clue. was thinking along the lines of the sci fi trope of humans infusing pieces of technology hardware into their bodies.

I'm not sure how I did it, but I somehow bruised one or two ribs this weekend. So starting out the morning by lying on the floor and putting in monitor cables was a son of a bitch. Also, being allergic and therefore sneezing a lot isn't helping either.

• 2 weeks later...

one of my nephews is excited these right wing populists are coming into power.. the guy in argentina and the other one in netherlands.. and referred to the riots in ireland as "people waking up".

facepalm. 

• Facepalm 3

wtf is this? gotta be a glitch right? it raised 9 cents and 10 minutes later it's already back to .91?

ffs usd has never been higher than eur since October 2022 or such and now I lost my opportunity to exchange it... fuck me sideways :facepalm:

Screenshot_20231202-140754~2.png

Edited by cruising for burgers

This is exactly why I don't do digi dollars. Ever seen a flesh note change from $1 to $0.9713194128480 and back again? No stagnation, consternation or inflation. Just ink and paper.

12 hours ago, exitonly said:

those crazy kids and their abbreviation of charisma

i did have to look this up just now

My 12 year old nephew said that something ‘slapped’ today. I wanted to slap him…

Gotta play records for 3 hours at a bar near me this thursday but haven't figured out a viable way to get my records to and fro. No cargo bikes for rent near me so I'd have to go and pick one up first, cycle back for the records, and the same but reverse for the way back. Want to avoid taking a taxi/uber because the drivers are pretty much invariably cunts here plus it will eat up most of my 50,- fee. Wish these places just had CDJs...

1 hour ago, user said:

Gotta play records for 3 hours at a bar near me this thursday but haven't figured out a viable way to get my records to and fro. No cargo bikes for rent near me so I'd have to go and pick one up first, cycle back for the records, and the same but reverse for the way back. Want to avoid taking a taxi/uber because the drivers are pretty much invariably cunts here plus it will eat up most of my 50,- fee. Wish these places just had CDJs...

do you have NTS on vinyl? that's 8 hours right there. just bring that box set and you're good. 

edit: also, do you have a handtruck or rolling luggage suitcase or similar? 

Edited by ignatius