IGNORED

stupid first world problems you're dealing with

Guest KY

I'm in doubt as to whether I should continue to make music. Just finished a 7:32 trac yesterday with Fruity, which took over a week, but the "validation" factor is almost non-existent. But I couldn't care less about making coin off of it.

Butthurt aside, maybe I've reached my limits with FL anyway. Time to look into Ableton or Max, maybe? I wonder which is more widely recommended.

Yeah some tracks just don't push the buttons right away. File it away and listen to it again in a month or so. Maybe there is something to it you didn't realize? I find that almost every single jam I do has at least some really sweet moments that I later want to work into something, even if it's just a sample or whatever.

As far as new toys & tools, just start doing some research on what they can do and find out what's right for you. With the sheer number of YouTube videos (jams, demos, tutorials, workflow presentations, tips, tricks, etc.) you can get a feel for what looks and sounds good.

Also if I remember right you haven't tried FL with a controller - I imagine even a cheap, simple one would make it a lot more fun. Just a thought.

fucking yes go to Ableton + Max.

The sample mangling is always creativity fuel.

Yeah I understand that's supposed to be a pretty powerful combination. Hopefully it won't take too big of a hit on budget tho.

Yeah some tracks just don't push the buttons right away. File it away and listen to it again in a month or so. Maybe there is something to it you didn't realize? I find that almost every single jam I do has at least some really sweet moments that I later want to work into something, even if it's just a sample or whatever.

As far as new toys & tools, just start doing some research on what they can do and find out what's right for you. With the sheer number of YouTube videos (jams, demos, tutorials, workflow presentations, tips, tricks, etc.) you can get a feel for what looks and sounds good.

Also if I remember right you haven't tried FL with a controller - I imagine even a cheap, simple one would make it a lot more fun. Just a thought.

That's true, I've still never used an external controller. Guess I've often felt composition smart but gear dumb.

Still, it's looking like a turning point soon for what tools to use.

Still, it's looking like a turning point soon for what tools to use.

I'd strongly suggest not making too big of a deal out of it. It might not be much of a turning point at all - there's a good chance you're going to get a shiny new toy and it's going to do jack shit for your workflow and leave you disappointed. That's happened to me more than I can count, and now I realize tools are just a means to an end. Google some stuff you find interesting, watch some videos, try to imagine yourself using the tool how the person in the video is using it (like watching people play games on Twitch or something). Stay curious but be critical and sweat the details.

Also, as long as you're looking for something different, don't rule out some cheap hardware. volcas, unfashionable 80s and 90s beatboxes, monotrons, "phrase samplers", budget CDJs/turntables, even radios. You might not believe how much fun you can have with the crappiest, cheapest possible noisemaker you can get your hands on and some kind of delay pedal or the like. It can be really liberating sometimes to just unplug from digital UIs and try to see how expressive you can get with ridiculous limitations. You -will- discover new sounds you would never have thought of.

How will you ever live down this social faux pas.

Just wear metal t-shirts and grow your hair long, then people will approach you that don't give a shit about that sort of thing.

Also, it's happened to me, and yeah it's lame, i sympathize, but yanoe, the post was ripe for a ribbing. i'm on both sides of the fence about this.

Unfortunately my most likeable colleagues keep bringing up jokes from family guy and the big bang theory. Every time they shove a mobile phone in my face to present a funny clip I die a little inside.

Unfortunately my most likeable colleagues keep bringing up jokes from family guy and the big bang theory. Every time they shove a mobile phone in my face to present a funny clip I die a little inside.

Family guy has its moments.

Not big bang though... :catsob:

I met a girl. She is named Vanessa. She's 26 years old, already a mom and seems kind of depressive.

fwp: she is painfully cute but I'm not really into young moms

If she's a nice person it doesn't hurt to hang out. I dated a gorgeous 25 year old mother of a 3 year old once. She had tumultuous relationships beforehand and wasn't looking for a husband or father for her child - she just wanted to get out and have some fun a night or two a week with little to no strings attached. We broke it off after a while amicably and since then she's found a husband, which is awesome for her and her awesome lil' rug-rat. Had some great times with her and the one time we ended up having to be around her child (aka, not go out or back to my place) it was actually pretty fun, her daughter was very bright, sweet and well behaved.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if she just wants to hang out, be respectful of the fact she is a mother, but don't let that stop you from making a connection with someone. Single moms are some of the most sexually aware women I've ever been with and if you're starting to hit your late 20's/early 30's and you're still expecting single women to not have a child or some form of baggage at that age - you should probably stick with 21-25 year old single girls.

just my 2 cents, sorry for the ramble.

Dammit Tim. It looked better with the Z.

Sanded down some oak floor and furniture yesterday and now my whole flat stinks of Jack Daniels

Took me a couple of hours to figure out that burnt oak stinks of bourbon. Now i want some Jim Beam.

the ac in my building is broken, its 93 degrees F, i'm on the eleventh floor, and heat rises...

Call your landlord and have them fix it ASAP or prorate your rent enough so you can go buy a portable A/C. Pretty much cruel and unusual punishment to not have AC in Tay-hass.

should specify, it's where i work, so i have few rights. it's not so bad. i'm actually enjoying the heat. sometimes when i get in the car after walking far and i'm really sweaty, i turn up the heater just to really feel it

should specify, it's where i work, so i have few rights. it's not so bad. i'm actually enjoying the heat. sometimes when i get in the car after walking far and i'm really sweaty, i turn up the heater just to really feel it

can't ,, tell ,, if ,, joking ... is sheathman .. so .. could .. maybe .. actually .. do .. this.

I met a girl. She is named Vanessa. She's 26 years old, already a mom and seems kind of depressive.

fwp: she is painfully cute but I'm not really into young moms

If she's a nice person it doesn't hurt to hang out. I dated a gorgeous 25 year old mother of a 3 year old once. She had tumultuous relationships beforehand and wasn't looking for a husband or father for her child - she just wanted to get out and have some fun a night or two a week with little to no strings attached. We broke it off after a while amicably and since then she's found a husband, which is awesome for her and her awesome lil' rug-rat. Had some great times with her and the one time we ended up having to be around her child (aka, not go out or back to my place) it was actually pretty fun, her daughter was very bright, sweet and well behaved.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if she just wants to hang out, be respectful of the fact she is a mother, but don't let that stop you from making a connection with someone. Single moms are some of the most sexually aware women I've ever been with and if you're starting to hit your late 20's/early 30's and you're still expecting single women to not have a child or some form of baggage at that age - you should probably stick with 21-25 year old single girls.

just my 2 cents, sorry for the ramble.

well thanks, tho I'm not planning on dating her, really. but her beauty is something stellar... I'll try to become friends, I'm curious about her life.

in light of the recent Hersheys child labour kerfuffle, and what other dodgy business they're probably involved in, I'm not sure whether to eat this Hersheys bar I have, or ritualisticly burn it: though burning it will achieve nothing, and I don't exactly want to waste food. The bar has been produced, the harm is done, I'm gonna eat this Hersheys bar sometime today.