IGNORED

stupid first world problems you're dealing with

Guest KY

@teriyakus

how come? way I see it, selling an asset doesn't give you enough cookies in return to purchase enough other assets which will be enough productive to pick up the slack from your now-sold assets plus produce enough more to justify the sell.

e.g. farms suck, but if I sold all my farms, I a) wouldn't have enough cookies to buy, say, a portal, and b) I'd be losing all the producing farms to buy, like, a bank or something which wouldn't produce enough more.

farms really do suck.

Edited by usagi

Finally sat down for that momentous inaugural elseq listen, then had to interrupt it after just seven minutes of feed1 to go take a shit.

Edited by manmower

I don't know how you guys got to a quadrillion cookies per second but I have to stop, oh my god.

Here's some code I wrote to auto click and find the best prices:

// Set up auto-clicking of big cookie and golden cookies.
(function setupClicks() {
    var goldenCookie = document.getElementById('goldenCookie'),
        bigCookie = document.getElementById('bigCookie');

var click = document.createEvent('Events');
    click.initEvent('click', true, true);

// Click big cookie 1000 times a second
    setInterval(function doBigClick() { 
        bigCookie.dispatchEvent(click) 
    }, 1);

// Try to click a golden cookie once a second.
    setInterval(function doGoldenClick() { 
        if (goldenCookie.style.display === 'none') 
            console.log('No golden cookie'); 
        else { 
            goldenCookie.dispatchEvent(click); 
            console.log('Clicked golden cookie'); 
        } 
    }, 1000);
}())

// Invoke to find best prices
function byPrice() {
    return Object.keys(Game.Objects).sort(comparePrices).map(namePrice);

function comparePrices(a, b) {
        var pa = pricePerCps(Game.Objects[a]), 
            pb = pricePerCps(Game.Objects[b]); 

if (isNaN(pa))
            return 1;

if (pa === pb)
            return 0;

return pa > pb ? 1 : -1; 
    }

function namePrice(name) {
        return name + ' ' + pricePerCps(Game.Objects[name]);
    }

function pricePerCps(o) { 
        return o.price / (o.storedTotalCps / o.amount * Game.globalCpsMult);
    } 
} 

I don't know how you guys got to a quadrillion cookies per second but I have to stop, oh my god.

Here's some code I wrote to auto click and find the best prices:

The key was to auto-spawn and click the golden cookies (but not the wrath cookies), that way you remain with a 7x and 777x multiplier, plus all the bonus cookies:

var autoClickGold = function() {
    if (Game.goldenCookie.life > 0 && Game.goldenCookie.wrath == 0) {
        Game.goldenCookie.click();
    }
};

var autoGold = function() {
  Game.goldenCookie.time = Game.goldenCookie.minTime;
  Game.goldenCookie.life = 0;
  Game.goldenCookie.spawn();
};

...set both on a timer.

..up to 8.5 quadrillion a second now.

Oh damn, I haven't even seen the wrath cookies, I guess you get those after the Grandmapocalypse? Folks, don't use my golden click code, use caze's!

Nice one on manipulating the golden spawn time too.

Feel like I should learn some programming besides basic, want to start with Python but just don't know what the fuck I would do with it beyond a very specific set of circumstances.

Feel like I should learn some programming besides basic, want to start with Python but just don't know what the fuck I would do with it beyond a very specific set of circumstances.

What makes you want to learn more programming? Work?

Python seems like a good language to start with. I enjoyed working in it although it was too slow for the application I was working on. There's a number of research communities that have built nice tools with it for things like math and language processing.

I always recommend Javascript for a number of reasons (number one being, open the developer console on your browser and you can start writing in seconds) but it's despised by most serious coders.

In general I'd say think of an interesting project or persistent problem that coding will help you solve. That'll give you motivation to learn. Otherwise, try a tutorial and maybe you'll think of something as you're going through the exercises.

what are those specific circumstances? the language you want to use is very closely linked to what you want to do with it, e.g. if you need performance you'll want c/c++; if you want something quick/lightweight/not a lot of code (usually an interface over some more complicated backend) you'll want javascript, python or ruby; for something you'll expect to write and maintain a lot of code for you'll want a static type system (so something like c#, java, or go), something heavily maths oriented you'll want a functional language (scheme, f#).

having said that, languages are becoming more flexible, so most modern imperative languages have lots functional features (python, c#, javascript), performance is getting better all the time with dynamic languages (though not to the degree where you'd write an OS or a game or anything where performance is super critical), and dynamic languages are getting better at dealing with larger code bases (e.g. typescript for javascript, python is ok in that regard too).

There's also the barrier to entry to think about, so learning javascript or python is going to be a lot easier to get your head around than c++ or scheme).

There's endless resources online though, so if you really want to get stuck in there's really no excuse, no matter what option you choose, lots of decent video courses on youtube even. If it's something simple you're after python is a decent place to start, room to develop into more involved scenarios as well.

Essentially yes. But also feel it's useful to have some idea of the process if I ever have to manage programmers.

you don't need to know how to write code to do this though. I mean yeah, it'd be the best way of understanding first-hand what they do and how it works, but seeing as there are many texts about project management and software development processes from the project manager's perspective, I'm sure there are plenty of books out there you could pick up instead if you don't want to learn code.

Essentially yes. But also feel it's useful to have some idea of the process if I ever have to manage programmers.

As a professional programmer I'd say it's better to have a manager that doesn't know how to program at all instead of one that knows just the basics. The process is completely different when you're actually working on a big scale SW project compared to some home tinkering or course work.

To any aspiring software project manager I'd recommend reading the classic Mythical Man Month https://www.amazon.com/Mythical-Man-Month-Software-Engineering-Anniversary/dp/0201835959

It's from 1975 but apart from some technological stuff it's still really useful. It boggles my mind how people managing SW projects still don't know the basics from this book.

Landlord wants to jack up the rent. The place has seen no improvements and a building site has appeared since the move in. Property investors are ghouls. Gotta decide if I want to take a thicker rod up my ass every month or move AGAIN.

As a professional programmer I'd say it's better to have a manager that doesn't know how to program at all instead of one that knows just the basics. The process is completely different when you're actually working on a big scale SW project compared to some home tinkering or course work.

To any aspiring software project manager I'd recommend reading the classic Mythical Man Month https://www.amazon.com/Mythical-Man-Month-Software-Engineering-Anniversary/dp/0201835959

It's from 1975 but apart from some technological stuff it's still really useful. It boggles my mind how people managing SW projects still don't know the basics from this book.

I mean it more so that when I ask questions of any programmers under me, I'll have at least some idea of what they're talking about on a technical level without having to ask them too many questions. I figure, the more I know, the less time they have to spend explaining shit to me.

Never so that I could try and suggest different methods or anything like that. If I could suggest different methods, then I'd just do it myself first.

Thanks for the tip on the book, will take a look.

what are those specific circumstances? the language you want to use is very closely linked to what you want to do with it, e.g. if you need performance you'll want c/c++; if you want something quick/lightweight/not a lot of code (usually an interface over some more complicated backend) you'll want javascript, python or ruby; for something you'll expect to write and maintain a lot of code for you'll want a static type system (so something like c#, java, or go), something heavily maths oriented you'll want a functional language (scheme, f#).

having said that, languages are becoming more flexible, so most modern imperative languages have lots functional features (python, c#, javascript), performance is getting better all the time with dynamic languages (though not to the degree where you'd write an OS or a game or anything where performance is super critical), and dynamic languages are getting better at dealing with larger code bases (e.g. typescript for javascript, python is ok in that regard too).

There's also the barrier to entry to think about, so learning javascript or python is going to be a lot easier to get your head around than c++ or scheme).

There's endless resources online though, so if you really want to get stuck in there's really no excuse, no matter what option you choose, lots of decent video courses on youtube even. If it's something simple you're after python is a decent place to start, room to develop into more involved scenarios as well.

Yeah I'd read that python was a good place to start as it was fairly straightforward comapred to c++ etc etc. I've gotten a few tutorials/resources bookmarked, just gotta try and apply myself to it now.

you don't need to know how to write code to do this though. I mean yeah, it'd be the best way of understanding first-hand what they do and how it works, but seeing as there are many texts about project management and software development processes from the project manager's perspective, I'm sure there are plenty of books out there you could pick up instead if you don't want to learn code.

Yeah but I do kind of want to learn to code lol. Useful skill to have regardless I think.

he just wants to be more like autechre man, don't harsh his mellow

well then, he should just put el succ on as he sleeps and when he wakes up he'll just know.

protip from prousers. :doge:

The worst thing about starting with programming is analysis paralysis imo. There's so much to learn and so many fields to choose from. For the basics your best bet is to just pick a language, a course or book, and stick with it. It doesn't really matter which ones, the basics are the basics. I'd avoid purely object-oriented languages like Java and go with C or Python, but that's about it.

Universities like the MIT have full courses uploaded on Youtube. Maybe check out uni syllabus...es? and check out what compsci students are required to learn

Edited by ThatSpanishGuy

I wouldn't start with C, actually. learning curve is too steep for a non-programmer.

Java is super clunky but at least object-oriented languages are easier to grasp conceptually.

Edited by usagi