IGNORED

stupid first world problems you're dealing with

Guest KY

I wouldn't start with C, actually. learning curve is too steep for a non-programmer.

Java is super clunky but at least object-oriented languages are easier to grasp conceptually.

The learning curve is steeper than with higher level languages, but I'd say it's better to bang your head against the intricacies of lower level programming as early as possible and get that out of the way, specially memory management stuff. Also one of the advantages of C is that it lets you royally fuck up, which is the best way of learning. Just my opinion really, it's a matter of preference.

Surprise root canal at dentist.

Not really a fwp tbh because it was actually quite relaxing. Nearly fell asleep.

My only regret is I didn't ask to take a selfie while I had the green rubber dental dam clamped around the tooth and wearing those coolguy shades they make you wear.

i also started learning and doing a bit of programming for some data preparation jobs i'm doing recently in stata, i don't even know if you comp.sci hunks consider stata stuff as programming but i do so fuck you. didn't even realize that i'd like it so much, it's so satisfying to make some logical contraption do what you need it to do perfectly.

here's the creation i'm the most proud of so far (i'll even put it in code formatting like a pro):

sort pid syear
g cumu3 = 0
g cumulative3=0
g cumu3_final=.
forvalues i =2013(-1)1991 {
replace cumulative3=0
	foreach k in `i'-2 `i'-1 `i' {
	replace cumulative3= cumu3+lf_disconnect if syear==`k'
	drop cumu3
	egen cumu3=max (cumulative3) if cumulative3!=. , by (pid)
	}
replace cumu3_final= cumulative3 if syear==`i'
replace cumu3=0
}

it basically counts the number of times a person was disconnected from the labor force in the last 3 years and creates a variable that signifies it for each year. i nearly came when it actually did what i wanted after hours of frustrations.

I mean it more so that when I ask questions of any programmers under me, I'll have at least some idea of what they're talking about on a technical level without having to ask them too many questions. I figure, the more I know, the less time they have to spend explaining shit to me.

What languages/frameworks are they using?

It's all hypothetical at this point lol. Just future prepping, as I'm relatively sure at some point I will have to do this.

I'm back from a 10 day tour and I don't know what to do with myself. I just want to be back on the road for another 20.

alcohol

Speaking of which, I still have too much beer in the fridge. I managed to lighten the load with the help of my coworkers, but there's still like 40 cans of Miller Lite.

I'm gonna get sick of Miller Lite pretty soon.

Speaking of which, I still have too much beer in the fridge. I managed to lighten the load with the help of my coworkers, but there's still like 40 cans of Miller Lite.

I'm gonna get sick of Miller Lite pretty soon.

Do you have a Miller Lite tree or something?

i also started learning and doing a bit of programming for some data preparation jobs i'm doing recently in stata, i don't even know if you comp.sci hunks consider stata stuff as programming but i do so fuck you. didn't even realize that i'd like it so much, it's so satisfying to make some logical contraption do what you need it to do perfectly.

here's the creation i'm the most proud of so far (i'll even put it in code formatting like a pro):

sort pid syear
cum
cum
cum
replace cum

cum cum
	drop cum
	Eugene cum max (cum)  
cum (pic)

replace cumu cumu
replace cumu3=D

it basically counts the number of times a person was disconnected from the labor force in the last 3 years and creates a variable that signifies it for each year. i nearly came when it actually did what i wanted after hours of frustrations.

Cool code

I'm back from a 10 day tour and I don't know what to do with myself. I just want to be back on the road for another 20.

alcohol

That seems to be the most popular solution.

it's a band-aid sometimes

I'd be surprised if in all my years of songwriting/track making I didn't once inadvertently rewrite something I had heard previously. It just seems like something that's inevitable if you do something enough.

Drunk, which in and of itself is fine, but work buddy got even drunker than me and kind of hurt my feelings by saying there were "multiple reasons" he didn't want to let me go on the rooftop of his flat even though 3 of his flatmates (2 of whom I was having a very nice time with, one of whom was very flattered when I told him he looked like Ninja from Die Antwoord), plus me, were itching to go up. Oh well. He was busy making out with someone else's girlfriend, so I think that is probably one, probably 2 or 3 of the reasons. He was probably just jealous because I'm taking a week off starting tomorrow. Also, speaking of tomorrow, my mom is coming to town tomorrow so I need to tidy the house quite a bit and mustn't let myself be hung over, so I'll polish off this Powerade Zero before I pass out.

Also, speaking of hangover prevention, this is in no way whatsoever a problem, but I stopped by a lovely Mexican restaurant on the way home (who, God bless them, were still open at 11:30) and ordered two chorizo tortas. I didn't realize how big tortas are, especially being $5 apiece. Well, that's both pre-hangover midnight snack and post-hangover breakfast sorted. All I'm missing is another bottle or two of PZ. Should be a nice Friday.

It's only 9am and I've already spoken to 3 work colleagues who appear to've voted OUT seemingly on the toss of a coin. Each one of them then said, after I'd spoken to them, that they wish they'd talked to me before and would've voted IN.

I'm now wondering how many people voted out for similar non-reasons.

sort pid syear
g cumu3 = 0
g cumulative3=0
g cumu3_final=.
forvalues i =2013(-1)1991 {
replace cumulative3=0
	foreach k in `i'-2 `i'-1 `i' {
	replace cumulative3= cumu3+lf_disconnect if syear==`k'
	drop cumu3
	egen cumu3=max (cumulative3) if cumulative3!=. , by (pid)
	}
replace cumu3_final= cumulative3 if syear==`i'
replace cumu3=0
}

Don't have much state experience (more sas), but what i've seen is that stata excels in simple code for creating statistic models (with useful output), but it's just not that handy in the data preparation department. Sas is the other way around. Although its biggest win is that you can use sql statements, i guess. I was hoping for R to be a good substitute. But I havent fallen in love, yet.

my best friend is from germany, she's been here for 10 years and has been more support to me than my mother and anyone in my family.

we now have to wait and see if she will be able to stay in the country. :catcry:

went out the back garden to do a bit of weeding for 15 minutes, now suffering a massive case of hayfever. have emptied half a pack of tissues already.

It's only 9am and I've already spoken to 3 work colleagues who appear to've voted OUT seemingly on the toss of a coin. Each one of them then said, after I'd spoken to them, that they wish they'd talked to me before and would've voted IN.

I'm now wondering how many people voted out for similar non-reasons.

After Brexit Vote, Britain Googles 'What Is The EU?'

http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2016/06/24/480949383/britains-google-searches-for-what-is-the-eu-spike-after-brexit-vote

I'm sick as hell, it's my birthday, I've got to work until 11PM, and then again early morning Sunday.

I guess it's fine I'm sick then since I can't plan anything anyway. Still sucks. Might be pneumonia again, I can barely breathe, fluid in the lungs.