IGNORED

stupid first world problems you're dealing with

Guest KY

one of my best friends is laid up in hospital cos some stupid driver swerved into him without shoulder-checking. sounds like he nearly lost his leg.

Damn! Hope everything turns out ok with him

what'd they do now?

Nothing. And that's the problem. The company is an alarming state. They're losing money and everyone keeps doing whatever it is they're doing. A couple of weeks ago I wrote an email to my boss and one of my colleagues and told them about a situation I had just witnessed. My colleague got mad at me for writing the email but my boss planned a meeting so we could figure out what to do about the whole situation. Then the meeting get post poned a couple of days, then one more day - now it's been post-poned to August so I don't really think anyone is taking any of this seriously.

I'm not saying I have the key to saving the company, but no one knows what they're doing, the briefings I receive in order to do my job properly are so vague. Most of the time they just copy/paste whatever the client has written them, so as soon as I ask a question about my briefing they don't know the answer to it. So I'm constantly saving their asses by asking all the questions they SHOULD have asked.

Anyway, I'm gonna play hooky tomorrow and Friday because I've got some freelance stuff that's more important than this bullshit.

sounds like a sinking ship, mayne. how have they stayed afloat this long?

The company is 8 years old and has been doing really well - right until my boss got hired and started trying to some changes. The changes are ok but the my colleagues aren't willing to change or learn knew things. But I skipped work today and will skip work tomorrow as well. I feel like such an adult.

A spoke broke on my bike yesterday and the shop nearby wouldn't fix it :dry:

one of my best friends is laid up in hospital cos some stupid driver swerved into him without shoulder-checking. sounds like he nearly lost his leg.

That happened to one of my best friends. She has a steel plate in her leg now. Luckily(?) I was underemployed at the time, so I could take care of her often.

i cant be bothered to improve my life

had a work associate of my wife's over for dinner last nite (they work in real estate pr). she kept telling me she thought i'd be a good mortgage banker. talking about how her brother is making 500k a year and blah blah blah. the obvious response was "i don't know anything about mortgage banking" to which she replied "well. i'll be honest. you really don't have to be very smart to make a lot of money in banking." and then she went on about how she's made good money and bad money and honey she'd rather be making good money and a bunch of other crap that sounded really sleazy to me. i mean $500k... that's about 10x what i make and i'm not really wanting for money. i hate my job but i'm sure i'd hate mortgage banking even more. it really boggles my mind that people desire that much money. and then i think about how lots of people have waaaaay more money than that

but i really don't understand where this woman gets off thinking i could/would ever do anything in banking anyways. i'm a highschool dropout with "some college." no car. i'm dirty like 90% of the time because i sold my car and bike everywhere. don't like talking to people i don't know. hate keeping up appearances. hate the man.

on the other hand...

if you make a bunch of money in a short period of time then you work less or retire sooner or just fuck off and take 2 years off or whatever. but yeah.. that shit leaches your soul a bit if you don't keep your head on right or have a plan and perspective.

money isn't terrible. you can do cool stuff w/money. charities etc. a friend of mine came into some money when he was pretty young. not enough to say fuck off to the world. he has a job and so does his wife. but he started a scholarship fund. an endowment so some kid can go to college and get some help paying for it every year..

Edited by ignatius

thanks for the anecdote juice but i wasnt talking about money

i was refering to a penis extension operation which would undoubtedly enhance my life, but seems like a bit of a hassle tbh

MOTHERFUCK!

I'm doing the music for a commercial and the reference I've been given is so fucking simple yet I can't make anything that sounds like it! I can play the tune from the commercial on my piano, but the mood in the reference is almost non-existing so it's impossible to make something similar to it. Every test I've made so far is way too bouncy and detailed and I've spent 2 days on it so far. Argh!

Help me, Zypher_Nova!

lol shit! I'm going to need more to go off of here. Can you post the sample song?

I was told I should use whatever instruments I wanted to so the last demo I made was made on my piano and then I added some cello and a pretty deep bassline that plays along the cello. It turned out pretty good but I'm not sure anyone would say that it's in the same style as the track in the video.

I've been underemployed since around the beginning of May. I ditched out of a job where a lot of promises were made, and nobody delivered. I went uncompensated for about a month before the beginning of May working my ass off to meet expectations - then got totally ostracized from a group of business-peeps I've worked with for close to a half decade for standing up for myself and my crew of people. I put in years of work, all to be lost by finally realizing I was being taken advantage of and as soon as I showed a slightly tough skin, I was labeled as ungrateful and the like.

I hate to admit it, but it has taken a toll on me. I have had a full-time job since I was legally allowed to work and now that I have nothing going on, I realize just how pallid my life is without working for other people. Loads of crickets and dark corners in my days lately. I wake up most days and just sit in bed looking at my phone, shifting between WATMM, Instagram and a few other places I look at until I realize that normal humans eat more than once a day and try to stuff food down my gullet. I have no reason to go to bed at night, no reason to wake up. In my earlier years I would have receded into a drug-fueled haze, but not now... I feel so shit and I've gone down that path so much that I even know how shit it would be to have to deal with the high's and low's of a drug binge with this mindset.

My friends keep telling me to make music, but sitting in my studio I get nothing that comes to me. I'll just make some loops, get bored or whatever and then shut everything off.

Also, I'm pretty much fucked on getting job before I leave for two weeks to Europe at the end of August because no employer wants to hire someone with a month or so to work until they leave for a half-month. Missed out on two huge jobs because of those vacation plans and had a third get me through filling out all my employment contracts and tax info to call me the day before I start and tell me that the person who I was replacing has decided to not leave the company. Currently I'm just working part time at a friends grow when he needs me, which is very nice of him.

Financially, I'll survive, I've got more money than most of my friends do that have jobs ATM - but it has not been fun to literally cut down to nothing and never leaving my house. I'm scared shitless to spend my coffers after busting my ass for the last 5 to 6 years to get where I am. It gives me huge anxiety like I'm letting someone bleed me of my life-force lol. Had to tap into a savings that I've never touched, sold my RYTM and a bunch of old grow equipment (thanks WA for fucking over medical cannabis), picked up my old extracurricular ways of making money by selling certain things to people again and just started getting a measly unemployment check every week (lol at the Fed taxing unemployment benefits btw)

I don't know why I'm saying this here. Maybe it's the anonymity. Maybe it's the fact that I don't feel comfortable admitting these things to my friends or family. But I need to vent it somewhere. My GF is constantly worried about me, which makes things worse. She thinks I'm going to do something stupid and keeps pitying me all the time, which is sincere, but makes me even more depressed and makes me want to hide my feelings more and more to make sure she is not affected by me. I have an odd trait from my past of just internalizing my feelings as futile or unimportant and going completely blank to the world around me. It's my way of not just screaming at people or taking my frustrations out on others that have nothing to do with it... probably not normal, but after a rough childhood with freaky swinging hippie commune parents, being kicked out at 15, and going through the life I've had - it's the only way I know how to not sink into the rising tide of my own self pity.

Thank you for your attention. Goodbye

(AFX reference, not suicide note, just so there's no confusion)

Developed feelings toward a friend and after we started hanging out a lot more and doing date-ish things (movies, sit down dinner, bars) i asked her out. She was surprised, said she was down, but i could sense some reluctance. Anyway, went on a date and to make a long story short, she wanted to stay friends.

I'm pretty bummed because I was liking the idea of dating someone I already know but i guess it's back to the okcupid grind of trying to meet up with women I don't even know. This dating angst is kill me.

Not as serious as those last posts (hang in there dudes!), but I just spilled coffee all over my leg at work and it looks like I pissed all over myself. Also, very hot.

Sorry to hear life is not too sunshiney at the moment Audioblysk. Hope things get better and you find a good outlet for those less pleasant feelings - I find them useful at times, myself, but that's probably because my life is tragically boring.

My lame FWP: Had a week off and was hoping to do some Max patching or tune-making. Instead, scored a new machine, which is super cool, but never felt arsed to make tunes and instead read a lot and saw a couple movies, both of which are cool, but spent too much time on the internet as usual. And here I am. Ho hum.

Hang in there Audio. That's what this thread is for, and don't feel ashamed about it.

I'm kind of in a similar situation. My current job I started a full decade ago. I've been dealing with heavier depression this year than in the past because of it. In fact, I was supposed to be working today but called in sick because of how bad it's gotten - to the point where suicidal thoughts have cropped up again. I pretty much shut down last night because of all this.
At work it's gotten to where everyone - both clients and coworkers - have become too demanding and dependent of me and I feel like I constantly have to pick up their slack. I'm just drained and yearn for a way out, soon.

Good news is I have a pretty clear idea what kind of job(s) to look for next. Might be just where I'll end up within the next two or three months. But either way this is a wake-up call. It'll be a necessary move to improve my life.

Sorry for being all serious and shit.

lol shit! I'm going to need more to go off of here. Can you post the sample song?

I was told I should use whatever instruments I wanted to so the last demo I made was made on my piano and then I added some cello and a pretty deep bassline that plays along the cello. It turned out pretty good but I'm not sure anyone would say that it's in the same style as the track in the video.

Eh, you probably know better than they do what they want. As long as the instrumentation's kind of similar they'll be happy, most likely.

FWP: got randomly shoved by a stranger after Canada Day fireworks. It's my first experience with unexpected physical violence on my person. The dude was in the middle of the street picking fights with cars. Someone on my side of the sidewalk said something directed at him. He decided that someone was me, wandered over and gave me a hard shove, acting like he wanted a fight. I just continued walking and several other people intervened, including a guy twice his size. I think he actually looking to be beaten up. It was a self-destructive thing. Apparently he was shouting taunts at the big guy for a while, saying he'd like to fuck his GF and things of that nature (my friends filled me in). Oddly I didn't feel shaken up at all afterwards... though it seemed like everyone expected I would be. I just accept that angry violent dudes are gonna be angry violent dudes, and if I weren't walking there someone else would have taken the hit. There was nothing personal there. It was a shove, not a punch, so not a huge deal for me. If I were walking somewhere by myself and a random stranger attacked me it would be another story. Moral of the story: always wait an hour before leaving your friends' apartment to head home after the fireworks.

https://vimeo.com/50124141

Eh, you probably know better than they do what they want. As long as the instrumentation's kind of similar they'll be happy, most likely.

Haha, right! We'll see tomorrow. I think my last sketch/demo was pretty good and actually better than the reference track. But we'll see...

@audio: GET A B- *gets punched in tha mouf*

hey, at least you still have your girl. I remember you posting about how well things were going on that front some time ago and you sounded pretty happy with it, so it can't all be bad. the shit'll pass mayne, as someone who has only just gotten into the flow of a forwards-moving 'career' after years of problems, I can confidently say that money and job worries, while a recurring adult problem, should not be allowed to cripple you because so long as you keep pushing and stay on the front foot, things will get better. imo you should try and focus your energies on a new non-work-related passion (two-wheeled or no).

*sends salaams all round*

and just to add to the general seriousness of pg661:

I saw my friend who was in that bike accident in hospital yesterday. the damage to his lower left leg is worse than I thought. apparently when the car collided with him, his foot got caught and pivoted him sharply over the top of his bike. the force caused a lot of bone and tendon loss and there's a chance he might lose his foot :(( he's going to find out after a major operation on Wednesday.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. he's keeping his spirits up as well, lots of family around, including his babby who he had just six months ago. some veins and nerves are still attached so he has a fighting chance.

https://vimeo.com/50124141

Haha, right! We'll see tomorrow. I think my last sketch/demo was pretty good and actually better than the reference track. But we'll see...

The client liked the third demo I did. I should move this sunshine story to the success thread now, huh?

summer holidays so I got all the time in the world to do whatever but it's SO hot and humid I just wanna lay down and die

Wait until those summer nights though. Love walking around in just a teeshirt at night