IGNORED

stupid first world problems you're dealing with

Guest KY

He kept asking me shit that I didn't know anything about just to hear me say "yeah, I don't know, man" and then mansplain the fuck out of it.

Gross I hate that shit. Although I'm probably guilty of it myself. I do try to be aware of social cues though.

I went to a thing at Cafe Oto that was David Toop and Evan Parker playing field recordings from the 60s of trad african music, which was lush.

envious face

This track was the highlight. Went up to Toop in the interval, politely demanded to see the LP. Took a pic. Got home, dloaded LP, uploaded track:

I feel almost nauseous, but not quite.  Not sure why, and not sure that description makes any sense whatsoever.  I just don't know how else to describe this subtly unpleasant sensation.  Hopefully it's not the beginning stages of tonight's charcuterie plate preparing its revenge.

Half way through jury service, boring as fuck. So high tech that you have to phone after 5pm each night to see if you're required the next day. I'm not on Monday so I have to work. The problem is I'm enjoying the book I take with me so I won't be able to carry on reading for hours until at least Tuesday.

You had to phone them? I was told if I was needed when I left each day. Sucks, man.

Not that this affects me personally, but this ISA from TSB is depressing:

What is the interest rate?

Interest rate with bonus

(includes a fixed bonus of 0.25% for the first 12 months)

0.30% AER/Tax Free (variable)
Interest rate without bonus (applicable after 12 months)
0.05% AER/Tax Free (variable)

You'll earn interest on balances of £1 or more. Interest is calculated each day and paid once a year on the 31st March.

What would the estimated balance be after 12 and 24 months based on a £1,000 deposit?

Based on a £1,000 deposit, with no withdrawals made from the account, and variable interest rates remaining the same:

Year 1

Initial deposit
£1,000
Interest earned at 0.30% AER/Tax Free  (includes a bonus of 0.25% for the first 12 months)
£3
Estimated balance after 12 months
£1,003

Year 2

Interest earned at 0.05% AER/tax Free (variable)
£0.50
Estimated balance after 24 months
£1,003.50

This is an example only and doesn't take into account your individual circumstances.

So, you can save all that money for a year...and earn £1. And then, on that £1, earn 0.05%. I mean, how do they offer this with a straight face, and a tone that suggests I'm getting a really great rate? Two years to earn £3.50! Banks man, fucking hell

(my ISA is with the Coventry, whose interest rate is kinda crud but way better than this shit) (also if you don't save money, please start. Always good to have some tucked away somewhere!)

I've been letting my disdain for work fester for too long and I'm way overdue for getting a new job. But I don't know who to turn to for help.

Think about what you don't like about your current job.

Then think about what you would like to do instead.

If you don't know how to do it, start researching and then practicing it, honing your skills.

Then think about organizations or situations where you could do those things, and do/experience less of the things you don't like, and have someone pay you for it.

Then research and think about each individual organization/person and their goals. You may have to learn some new lingo.

And think about how you could serve their goals, in terms of your skills and experience. 

Then when go talk to them, and explain how you in particular will help them achieve those goals, and why they should hire/pay you to do so.

If you have friends/acquaintances that already have rapport with these people/organizations, this will all be much easier.

Ask lots and lots of questions to yourself and others throughout the process. If you get frustrated with one question, there will be more questions that need answering, so go try to answer those in the meantime. Take lots of notes and stay as organized as you can, in whatever way that works for you.

Good luck.

Edited by sweepstakes

in the last day: I break my phone, get in a fight with the lady, car gets engine problems, lady spills boiling water on her stomach, gets huge 3rd degree burns. Currently spending some quality time at the urgent care clinic in the heart of the ghetto. and the landlord for the home I was hoping to move into never got back to me. yay weekends

went to my uncles 70th bday party, 40+ people. i didn't mingle and i can get away with that because the family knows i'm not a social person. old people getting krunk ftw i guess

What kind of work do you do, Ambermonk?

My fwp: I need a haircut, but I’ve been too lazy to get to the barbershop. The place is like 2 subway stops from work.

I check out rental equipment for outdoor use on a military base, making sure it's in operable, serviceable condition before the client rents it. Blue collar work, really.

At least I can say I've applied my college degree to some extent when international joint exercises take place every summer, especially when the JASDF (Japanese) personnel visit. Probably a bigger deal to them than I realize.

Do it yourself. Cutting your own hair is way easier than you’d think

Especially with a cordless shaver. When you're losing hair like me, it's the exact same concept as a lawnmower, but for your scalp.

reaktor's file system/navigation/shared folder and preset management is a total pile of dead dog dick that was eaten by zombies and shit out into a river that was drank by camels that then rotted from theinside out and fell to pieces and chomped by scavenger birds that went mad and flew into car windhsields and caused a 50 car pile up on the highway killing hundreds who were trapped and burned alive in their cars sending toxic smoke into the air that was breated in by surrounding life forms who then died in place and acidically burned down through earth's crust into its core causing it to explode cracking the planet into pieces and sending it off into space etc etc etc...

reaktor's file system/navigation/shared folder and preset management is a total pile of dead dog dick that was eaten by zombies and shit out into a river that was drank by camels that then rotted from theinside out and fell to pieces and chomped by scavenger birds that went mad and flew into car windhsields and caused a 50 car pile up on the highway killing hundreds who were trapped and burned alive in their cars sending toxic smoke into the air that was breated in by surrounding life forms who then died in place and acidically burned down through earth's crust into its core causing it to explode cracking the planet into pieces and sending it off into space etc etc etc...

I always forget why I couldn't get into Reaktor. I actually don't think this is part of it but something equally infuriating. I get along so much better with Max.

wandered onto /pol as I occasionally do, to see what kind of rabid state they'd worked themselves into after the Vegas shooting. of course I copped a load of random, unrelated gore/violence and other lovely stuff. standard. normally I can handle it but I saw a gif of a woman being beaten and burned alive by a crowd, and it's bothering me.

my own fault, really.

Had a plumber come look at my water heater and attempt to fix it, but after three hours of labor he couldn't do a full fix. And the bill ended up being more than $400.

Not his fault tho - turns out the water heater is 14 years old and apparently was never flushed, and according to the manufacturer is supposed to be flushed once a year. Plus whoever installed it apparently did an ass-backwards job, which was long before I moved into the condo unit. And at some point I'm supposed to buy a replacement.

I hate massive unexpected expenses.

Had a plumber come look at my water heater and attempt to fix it, but after three hours of labor he couldn't do a full fix. And the bill ended up being more than $400.

Not his fault tho - turns out the water heater is 14 years old and apparently was never flushed, and according to the manufacturer is supposed to be flushed once a year. Plus whoever installed it apparently did an ass-backwards job, which was long before I moved into the condo unit. And at some point I'm supposed to buy a replacement.

I hate massive unexpected expenses.

ugh.  pain in the ass. had 3x plumbing things this year. clogs, broken pipes... some stuff i almost fixed but had to pay to get someone to do it because i don't have a solid good electric motor snake thing... also need to replace a bunch of plumbing this year. $2k ish expense.  also have equivalent amount of medical bills to pay. should note that same exact procedure in the ER i had a few years ago.. first year of the ACA and the bill was $37.  this last time bill is $2500. fucking fuckers. 

anyway... best of luck w/the water heater. replaced mine a couple years ago and it's not too difficult so long as you have a somewhere to drain the water out of the current one and can get the proper hoses to connect to the water heater. also new water heater is way more fficient so it's like $300 to use it for the whole year or something stupid.  i got a rheem.. was i think $800 and i installed it myself in a couple hours.