IGNORED

stupid first world problems you're dealing with

Guest KY

I kind of stopped giving a shit about anything outside my job. And food I guess lol. A friend asked me to go out to some shows this weekend and I had zero interest. Haven't been making tunes and I'm kind of getting bored with my music library. Gaining weight. I don't think I'm depressed or anything but I don't really feel stoked about anything. I guess I should fill the void with things like exercise, meditation, reading actual books, etc.

Watching way too many Red Letter Media videos about movies I don't plan to ever watch.

I kind of stopped giving a shit about anything outside my job. And food I guess lol. A friend asked me to go out to some shows this weekend and I had zero interest. Haven't been making tunes and I'm kind of getting bored with my music library. Gaining weight. I don't think I'm depressed or anything but I don't really feel stoked about anything. I guess I should fill the void with things like exercise, meditation, reading actual books, etc.

Watching way too many Red Letter Media videos about movies I don't plan to ever watch.

how old are you?

edit: me, i am lactose intolerant and i ate a bunch of havarti cheese and now have insanely bad gas  :diablo:

Edited by yek

how old are you?

edit: me, i am lactose intolerant and i ate a bunch of havarti cheese and now have insanely bad gas  :diablo:

More like harfarti, amirite? lol

No fwp currently, just fws :(

sweepies 35ish? IIRC. 

Sweeps, bud, that is textbook depression man... What's going on?? =(

Correct.

Honestly I think it's mostly just lack of exercise. Also drinking too much... last week I had probably 2-3 beers every night. Ironically I haven't been drinking on weekends, it's just after work for me.

I've felt legit depressed a couple times in the past. It felt exactly like that track from Exai "T ess xi". I fixed that in a few days by eating more turkey and avocado and exercising. This feels different, it's more just kind of bored/blah/malaise. But I'm sure the solution is similar. Also I haven't taken any time off this year so far and I think I need to just take a week off. I was hoping to wait until it cools down a bit in September/October because I don't really like the heat.

Also I don't really have any friends in meatspace outside of work... probably because I'm a fucking flake and never want to go out. But I get along great with all the people I work with (well, as far as I know... maybe I'm The Asshole).

I also (temporarily?) quit herb because of this stupid test still hanging over my head. Pee is clean now but if it's hair I'm fucked. I guess it's a good thing? I don't really even have the urge at this point, but I do miss that feeling of everything being interconnected and incredibly interesting... bass like warm butter and reverb like a morning breeze.

So yeah lots of dumb little things that I have control over, but I'm just being lazy and stuck in my habits.

I was offered 6 weeks work to do pretty much all the audio for a feature film, but I turned it down because it would be with an unethical studio with a toxic work environment who has treated me poorly twice in the past. It really sucks, but I can't go through that stress again. I would essentially be swooping in to save the day because the studio can't get their act together when it comes to scheduling or understanding what resources are needed for a big project like this. So I'd rather be poor than unhappy.

sweepies 35ish? IIRC. 

Correct.

Honestly I think it's mostly just lack of exercise. Also drinking too much... last week I had probably 2-3 beers every night. Ironically I haven't been drinking on weekends, it's just after work for me.

I've felt legit depressed a couple times in the past. It felt exactly like that track from Exai "T ess xi". I fixed that in a few days by eating more turkey and avocado and exercising. This feels different, it's more just kind of bored/blah/malaise. But I'm sure the solution is similar. Also I haven't taken any time off this year so far and I think I need to just take a week off. I was hoping to wait until it cools down a bit in September/October because I don't really like the heat.

Also I don't really have any friends in meatspace outside of work... probably because I'm a fucking flake and never want to go out. But I get along great with all the people I work with (well, as far as I know... maybe I'm The Asshole).

Maybe a nice vacation will help you reset yeah. Start back up on the workouts and get some momentum back!

sweepies 35ish? IIRC. 

Correct.

Exercise does make a difference in your mood and boost the amount of energy you have throughout the day, especially if you do it in the morning. I hate to sound like one of those backwards-hat spandex-wearing fitness trainers, but you will feel better in the long run taking that route. Not gonna lie though, with my now-normal routine of waking up at 5:30 and hitting the gym for an hour on the way to work, there are some mornings when I'd rather sleep in. lol

Probably the biggest challenge in that though is logistics, in terms of your daily commute. Because you may have go out of your way to find a reasonably-priced gym. You could simply go for a walk or a run around the neighborhood too, but then again there's the summer heat to contend with. Might just be best to take a walk in the evenings when it cools down.

I was offered 6 weeks work to do pretty much all the audio for a feature film, but I turned it down because it would be with an unethical studio with a toxic work environment who has treated me poorly twice in the past. It really sucks, but I can't go through that stress again. I would essentially be swooping in to save the day because the studio can't get their act together when it comes to scheduling or understanding what resources are needed for a big project like this. So I'd rather be poor than unhappy.

Probably more of an achievement I'd say, sticking to your guns.

Probably more of an achievement I'd say, sticking to your guns.

I think you're right! I figured loss of income was the problem, but it kind of isn't if I can keep living. I suppose the main problem is having great work offered by a sketchy post-house.

next time if that happens and you find yourself thinking long about... triple your rate and see if they go for it.. at least then you'll be gouging them for the stress level.. but i agree it's not worth it. 

when i was first dipping a toe in that world i did some fx/sound design for a demo real for a small studio's graphics deisgn/virtual fx reel and i got some good advice from a guy who told me "at some point you have to cut off the revision requests based on what they're paying you" and in a not so diplomatic way told the studio "you aren't paying me enough to deal with this".  that next week i found a urei knob mixer.. the 1602 i think? for $200 and put it on ebay and it sold for $1600 and felt like the universe did me a fren that day. 

edit: forgot my 1st world prob.. 

taking a chemo med for 20 days now and the side effects seemed to have started. i guess it builds up in the system for a while? i don't know. maybe i just have the shits. 

Edited by ignatius

Almost done a new Zephyr Nova album, final phase of which has been adding sub-bass reinforcements where appropriate.  But there's this one track whose mix I've been revised majorly several times since Feb 2015, and it's such a delicate balance on that one because the mix is so dense.  The sub-bass adds a lot, but it also really fucks shit up balance-wise.  There's already so much crammed in there, and adding more low end is proving to be a nightmare.  I think some low-end distortion may be unavoidable if I'm to get the master to the same volume as the other tracks... though I'm more concerned with it becoming too squashed sounding.  I wonder how many hours I've spent on this one total - it's got to be a record for me.

next time if that happens and you find yourself thinking long about... triple your rate and see if they go for it.. at least then you'll be gouging them for the stress level.. but i agree it's not worth it. 

when i was first dipping a toe in that world i did some fx/sound design for a demo real for a small studio's graphics deisgn/virtual fx reel and i got some good advice from a guy who told me "at some point you have to cut off the revision requests based on what they're paying you" and in a not so diplomatic way told the studio "you aren't paying me enough to deal with this".  that next week i found a urei knob mixer.. the 1602 i think? for $200 and put it on ebay and it sold for $1600 and felt like the universe did me a fren that day. 

edit: forgot my 1st world prob.. 

taking a chemo med for 20 days now and the side effects seemed to have started. i guess it builds up in the system for a while? i don't know. maybe i just have the shits. 

Solid advice, thx.

If you're taking chemo, my problem is peanuts. Live well and get better.

Almost done a new Zephyr Nova album, final phase of which has been adding sub-bass reinforcements where appropriate.  But there's this one track whose mix I've been revised majorly several times since Feb 2015, and it's such a delicate balance on that one because the mix is so dense.  The sub-bass adds a lot, but it also really fucks shit up balance-wise.  There's already so much crammed in there, and adding more low end is proving to be a nightmare.  I think some low-end distortion may be unavoidable if I'm to get the master to the same volume as the other tracks... though I'm more concerned with it becoming too squashed sounding.  I wonder how many hours I've spent on this one total - it's got to be a record for me.

Do you high-pass-filter the other parts that don't contain anything meaningful in those sub-bass areas? Sometimes sections/parts that don't seem to contain much bass can contain little residual bits that don't add anything substantial to the part itself. If you trim those away in other parts it could help you eke out a dB or two more with your actual sub bass part.

Yep, I've been doing a lot of that sort of thing.  There's an assortment of synth bass, and lots of bassy kick stuff.  All of which is serving some purpose.  Utter madness, but there is a method to it.

*just selected the whole project for another mix encoding - "18,590 Audio Clips Are Selected in 45 Tracks".

lol

Edited by Zephyr_Nova

realised that the boxed version of ableton live has wayyyy more presets and sounds than my hacked version and that's what i'm after

. going to buy it EVENTUALLY. i'm poor and it's quite expensive 

two years ago a homeless guy tried to give me a back massage & ended up dislocating my shoulder to the point where it still isn't healed

turns out aphex twin played one of his tracks in a dj set

lol

We had a leak in our basement last Saturday, it was coming through a pair of butted floor beams which didn't compute until we realized straight above was a wall, thru which our 2nd floor plumbing (sink and only bath for a fam of 4) ran thru & down.  Turds out whoever did the plumbing in the house whoknows how long ago made it totally inaccessible clusterfuck & our plumber had to make a half dozen cuts into my walls/ceiling just to diagnose the prob.  Basically every-ting is shit (including a massive leak in a lead pipe drain), and waiting on an estimate tomorrow which I can readily imagine being a couple of K (2 x 2 days labor + material), and that's before we even get to restoring everything ripped apart to do the actual work.  Plus for the next several days (since he can't start til next week) I'll have to bathe my children at my parents or at the Y.

Edited by Bob Dobalina

Just had KFC and finished my drink before the chips

full on crisis there.  might as well just throw out the chips. 

lol

We had a leak in our basement last Saturday, it was coming through a pair of butted floor beams which didn't compute until we realized straight above was a wall, thru which our 2nd floor plumbing (sink and only bath for a fam of 4) ran thru & down.  Turds out whoever did the plumbing in the house whoknows how long ago made it totally inaccessible clusterfuck & our plumber had to make a half dozen cuts into my walls/ceiling just to diagnose the prob.  Basically every-ting is shit (including a massive leak in a lead pipe drain), and waiting on an estimate tomorrow which I can readily imagine being a couple of K (2 x 2 days labor + material), and that's before we even get to restoring everything ripped apart to do the actual work.  Plus for the next several days (since he can't start til next week) I'll have to bathe my children at my parents or at the Y.

sucks!  every time i have a plumbing issue my first thoght after getting the estimate is "i should've been a plumber"

MacBook charger got fucked up during the move, having to resort to browsing the internet on my phone until the new one I ordered arrives.

Pretty sure this is their whole viewership 

I just recovered from a 48hr flu and all I did on the 2nd day was have RLM autoplaying on my tv while I laid in bed groaning and napping.

I had to mute it when autoplay decided to line up every single one of their Star Wars vids :/