IGNORED

stupid first world problems you're dealing with

Guest KY

At my local coffeeshop first thing this morning, after ordering a black coffee I was told it was free, "The last guy said to pay if forward" the barista tells me, so for a moment I'm like yeah, free coffee, I just saved 2.50, but then I realize I'm an asshole if I don't continue it on (the coffee shop is small, there's three guys within earshot so certainly one of them was the last and/or started it first thing in the morning) so I tip the barista the $1 bill I have (which I always do, was planning on also tossing my change from the $5 I was going to break) but all I have left is $5 bills, so I have to put down a $5 to continue it on so I don't seem like a freeloader just mooching free coffee: I can't afford to blow any cash, shouldn't even be spending the $2.50 on coffee anyway quite honestly, and if I wanted to spend $5 I would've got a bagel or something as well. So now I'm secretly hating every one of the old assholes thinking they're being friendly citizens who instead put me in an awkward position and cost me more than I expected/wanted/needed to spend on fucking goddamn coffee. It's good coffee, always is, but now I'm hating every goddamned sip. Thanks for ruining my morning friendly old rich white assholes & my own social awkwardness.

reminds me of a story from an uncle I have; he's a great salesman and once was offered to buy a 1000 boots, he bought them (I think thinking he could sell for a profit to the military or something). turns out all of the boots where for the left foot only

he managed to sell them on though, and so u can imagine 1000 left-foot boots being bought and sold over and over, p crazy

edit: this is a 3d world story so maybs not appropriate to this thread

Edited by MIXL2

oh man now i'm remembering that movie pay it forward, what a jank ass film

inspirational tho, if that shit can get made then surely to god me & all y'all can figure ways to make our dream high-concept bedroom idm albums or our grungy locally distributed zines of photocopied cube drawings or whatever it is you wanna do

edit: this is a 3d world story so maybs not appropriate to this thread

cool

I probably use too much plastic and am probably contributing to Earth's plastic pollution problem as a result. Guess I could start to make amends by opting for reusable grocery bags and filtered tapwater instead of bottled.

person who lived in this apartment before me & moved out 6 months ago emails looking for stuff they left here

c'mon now

like i specifically remember them saying "I'll come back for this stuff in a week or two but it's not really important, so feel free to do whatever with it" back in January

I probably use too much plastic and am probably contributing to Earth's plastic pollution problem as a result. Guess I could start to make amends by opting for reusable grocery bags and filtered tapwater instead of bottled.

they started charging 5p for plastic bags here and people actually feel like they are being robbed and plastic bag use is down 75 percent. i buy a bag every time and then just bin it. fuck the world. 

seriously though they need to start selling water in some other form than plastic bottles. i drink 2-3 litres a day, sometimes tap water, but often i need it out and about, and there is no other way to buy a litre of water than in a plastic bottle. 

they started charging 5p for plastic bags here and people actually feel like they are being robbed and plastic bag use is down 75 percent. i buy a bag every time and then just bin it. fuck the world. 

seriously though they need to start selling water in some other form than plastic bottles. i drink 2-3 litres a day, sometimes tap water, but often i need it out and about, and there is no other way to buy a litre of water than in a plastic bottle. 

And during this time of year hydration is a must. I wonder if anyone has invented a self-cooling reuseable bottle yet.

Buy a reusable water bottle and fill it up before you leave the house?

I already have an aluminum canteen I take with me to the gym. But a single liter usually isn't enough for the whole work day afterwords. And we no longer get drinking water service at my work.

Apparently there are pitchers that have built-in filters though. Might look into buying one to fill with tap water.

its not convenient for me to be constantly carrying bottles around.

what's the difference between buying a bottle and just reusing the same one

its not convenient for me to be constantly carrying bottles around.

Reading Uni launched a plastic bottle scheme for refills, common sense innit but it should get the green light for campuses nationally soon

https://sites.reading.ac.uk/sustainability/recycling/

fwp - this cocaine is unfeasibly strong, bought months ago to keep, but the brood are away on hols + pocket burns = jaysus is tha bread

Yikes.  I'm not even sure I've experienced 40c before.  I think the hottest weather I've endured was in England of all places... maybe summer of '92?  They were in the middle of some crazy heatwave, I was there on a choir trip, other singers were fainting at rehearsals, the bus air conditioner was broken.  Good times.

For a friends wedding last weekend we were in Saskatchewan and it was 40c there! I didn't know it got that hot. But I guess it's the edge of that heat wave half of Canada is enduring right now.

It was alright for the few days I was there but a full week of 40 is going to be brutal. And from what I understand I'll be in a scrapyard most of the day, so probably a few degrees hotter from all the metal sitting there. oof

Quoting doesn't work on my computer at work (a FWP in and of itself!) so I'll just go like this:

amber: just drink the tap water - you don't live in Michigan do you? also what Bulk said: surely not legal for your place of work to not have drinkable water?

messiaen: convenience and price are the reason we have water in plastic bottles.