IGNORED

stupid first world problems you're dealing with

Guest KY

5 minutes ago, yekker said:

I just started a diet myself because I still haven't lost the weight I put on around Christmas. It's more just eating smaller portions... and less pasta. Something that I should probably always be trying to do.

I’ve been taking a multifaceted approach and for the first time it’s working for me in big ways. Eating 300 cals less per day, ensuring I get about 3000 more steps per day (appr 200 cals per day there), and I’m on a lipase inhibitor. Overall I’m looking at about 18-20k less calories per month so I’m hoping to hit 210lbs by the end of feb. ?

this isn’t for any aesthetic reason, and tbh I have way more muscle than I need. I just legit need to lose mass for my heart health. That’s my big focus is getting my blood pressure and RHR under control.

edit: srry yek! I wish you good luck with a healthier diet. Didn’t mean to ramble on with my approach.

Edited by Hugh Mughnus

16 minutes ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

I’ve been taking a multifaceted approach and for the first time it’s working for me in big ways. Eating 300 cals less per day, ensuring I get about 3000 more steps per day (appr 200 cals per day there), and I’m on a lipase inhibitor. Overall I’m looking at about 18-20k less calories per month so I’m hoping to hit 210lbs by the end of feb. ?

this isn’t for any aesthetic reason, and tbh I have way more muscle than I need. I just legit need to lose mass for my heart health. That’s my big focus is getting my blood pressure and RHR under control.

edit: srry yek! I wish you good luck with a healthier diet. Didn’t mean to ramble on with my approach.

Yeah, sometimes we have to do these things for ourselves even if it doesn't look like we need to.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, yekker said:

Yeah, sometimes we have to do these things for ourselves even if it doesn't look like we need to.

Yeah man, that’s where I’m at in life. Don’t care if it makes me look better or anything like that I just need to look after my health. Personally I don’t care if I die young from a heart attack or whatever but I know how my friends and family would be super upset so I’m kind of doing this for them too. ?‍♂️ not trying to be dramatic lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

Yeah man, that’s where I’m at in life. Don’t care if it makes me look better or anything like that I just need to look after my health. Personally I don’t care if I die young from a heart attack or whatever but I know how my friends and family would be super upset so I’m kind of doing this for them too. ?‍♂️ not trying to be dramatic lol

i'm thinking about that kind of stuff a lot. hoping i outlive my parents so they won't have to bury me. i guess i need a will. 

cardio typically is super good for heart health. so long as your doc says it's ok to exercise and get our heart rate up i'd throw in a jog once in a while.. or furious masturbation. anything to get your heart rate up a while.

also, regular exercise/cardio will make the bad cholesterol drop substantially. exercise is good in all kinds of ways.. reduce plaque in the brain and good for the bones and joints if you do it right. 

stick with it. it's good you have a plan. i need to drop a few pounds too. 

• Like 1

Someone on Craigslist is selling a modular case for $450 that generally retails for $700 +tax. Highly tempted but I'm not sure I want to spend the money on it right now.

2 hours ago, ignatius said:

in a weird place creatively. want to get some tobacco to roll my own. anxiety inducing boredom. 

Yeah getting this too. I get way more creative work done at work in boring fixed post positions than I do on my days off, where I just sit on the internet and drink.

• Like 2
  • Farnsworth 1

On 1/20/2020 at 2:50 PM, Squee said:

I just upgraded my laptop to Catalina. Owning a Mac is like being in an abusive relationship. You can't really get out of it, everything just fucking sucks, but you still try to make it work.

I upgraded my laptop to Pure OS . . . and then realized that my computer’s wireless chip requires a proprietary driver.  So now I have a computer with no WiFi capabilities, and I’m faced with the difficult dilemma of conceding to Debian’s proprietary packages, going down a rabbit hole of finding a libre wireless chip that’s also compatible with my laptop, or simply getting an Ethernet dongle and using wired connections from now on.

this is probably more of a Serious First World Problem, wish it was of the srupid variety but alas... I have multiple loved ones that are either dying or need major invasive surgery. It all happened at once. I'm really bad at dealing with this sort of thing, but I have to do my best to rise to the occasion for at least the next month. At least two flights across the US with gut-wrenching misery at the destination, and when at home, taking care of my partner, our ridiculously rambunctious puppy, the public park we manage, and all of our bills. I'll be taking at least half of the month off, not sure how I'll afford this without incurring debt... it's nothing compared to the debt of the inevitable life-altering surgeries required of those around me, but yeah. Meanwhile I apparently have a cracked molar and half of my face is throbbing, but I leave on a flight in 48 hours and don't have enough time to get approved for antibiotics and get to the dentist. They're booked out for at least a week. Ibuprofen is gonna have to carry me for a bit.

*deep breath*

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

5 minutes ago, luke viia said:

this is probably more of a Serious First World Problem, wish it was of the srupid variety but alas... I have multiple loved ones that are either dying or need major invasive surgery. It all happened at once. I'm really bad at dealing with this sort of thing, but I have to do my best to rise to the occasion for at least the next month. At least two flights across the US with gut-wrenching misery at the destination, and when at home, taking care of my partner, our ridiculously rambunctious puppy, the public park we manage, and all of our bills. I'll be taking at least half of the month off, not sure how I'll afford this without incurring debt... it's nothing compared to the debt of the inevitable life-altering surgeries required of those around me, but yeah. Meanwhile I apparently have a cracked molar and half of my face is throbbing, but I leave on a flight in 48 hours and don't have enough time to get approved for antibiotics and get to the dentist. They're booked out for at least a week. Ibuprofen is gonna have to carry me for a bit.

*deep breath*

oh dude... sounds like a stretch of tough times ahead. i feel for ya. hang in there. i hope you get your tooth fixed asap though. 

i was told (more than once) to remember to breathe normally in stressful times. apparently i had altered my normal breathing over the course of a year or so and was only taking short shallow breaths. probably started after my abdominal surgery. it's a weird thing to think about but i guess it has real affects on things.  longer more normal deeper breaths with an emphasis on the exhale.. a long slow exhale.. really did do all kinds of good things to calm me down and help me relax.  the physiological affects of short shallow breathing causes adrenalin and can lead to anxiety etc. 

so, if you catch yourself feeling amped up when you don't expect to be or don't want to be... take some deep breaths with long slow exhale. sounds new agey but it's just a practical thing based on science. 

also, when the shit hit the fan for me with my health and i was sitting in the hospital listening to the doc tell me i had a huge mass in my abdomen and required surgery and they'd be admitting me i sort of just immediately surrendered. there's really nothing to do except that. it was helpful. 

anyway.. ramblings aside i hope you manage and it's good you'll be there. i hope it all turns out as well as it can. 

• Like 3

thanks man. I appreciate the advice. And you know, from reading your posts over the year(s), you have been incredibly resilient in the face of your own troubles. It's admirable, and it's helpful to hear tales of overcoming adversity and facing hardship like that. No doubt it's still a daily struggle, but seriously, I wish you the best.

• Thanks 1

Learning proper singing or taking up a wind instrument are both really great ways to keep your breathing healthy and strong. It’s one of the many wonderful ways that music can help us stay in tune during the turbulence of life.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Extralife said:

My goddam Nuraphones died on me after two years ?

...but I picked up a pair of Sony WH-1000XM3 and am now glad they did. 

Don't laugh but I love sony headphones and earbuds.... Even their lower end ones like the ones I'm currently enjoying the stupid mdr-xb1000s.... lol

Edited by Hugh Mughnus

32 minutes ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

Don't laugh but I love sony headphones and earbuds.... Even their lower end ones like the ones I'm currently enjoying the stupid mdr-xb1000s.... lol

I totally got sucked in to that hype. The Nuraphones were good, but these Sony’s sound waaay better. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Extralife said:

I totally got sucked in to that hype. The Nuraphones were good, but these Sony’s sound waaay better. 

Out of curiosity, why did you go with a noise cancelling set? I've actually never put on a pair of noise cancelling headphones tbh. Just wondering if the effect is worthwhile. Wireless/Bluetooth are also kind of red flags for me as I'm oldschool ignorant and tend to think wired would just be better. No basis for thinking that lol.

Edit: btw not criticizing at all, love sony headphones just wondering what drew you to those as I have NO understanding of noise cancelling or wireless tech! I might be in the market for some new cans once I... become employed again lol ?

Edited by Hugh Mughnus

syncing up the ipod and itunes decides to pretend it's never seen the device before. so i had to select all the playlists again and 'remove replace' and of course there's a hundred files that itunes can't find all of sudden. 

one day i'll go through the audio library and see what's what. not in any hurry though. ugh. fucking itunes blows. 

3 minutes ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

Once put on some noise cancelling headphones, hit play on Merzbow - Venerology and could STILL hear it clear as day.  Noise cancel fail.

flol. God tier post.

• Like 1

Feeling an unusual sense of fatigue. Like I'm tempted to go to sleep earlier than normal, but I'm not yawning at all. It's like a weak, numbed kind of fatigue. Yet I have no desire to do anything else right now.

EDIT: And I slept damn near 12 hours. Guess I really was tired lol

16 hours ago, ignatius said:

syncing up the ipod and itunes decides to pretend it's never seen the device before. so i had to select all the playlists again and 'remove replace' and of course there's a hundred files that itunes can't find all of sudden. 

one day i'll go through the audio library and see what's what. not in any hurry though. ugh. fucking itunes blows. 

Yep. iTunes is ass. I don't miss it. Not keen on Apple in general anyway, but iTunes has always been a pain in the ass for me as well.

Edited by ambergonk
  • Like 1

just finished watching "Dark Water" and as expected i'm now full of feelings.. mostly hatred. for most of my adult life i've been down on dupont for countless reasons so it was nice to see a whole movie about how fucking evil and shitty they are and how the fight continues largely because of one lawyer.  holy fuck. support your local eco-terrorist. 

7 hours ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

Out of curiosity, why did you go with a noise cancelling set? I've actually never put on a pair of noise cancelling headphones tbh. Just wondering if the effect is worthwhile. Wireless/Bluetooth are also kind of red flags for me as I'm oldschool ignorant and tend to think wired would just be better. No basis for thinking that lol.

Edit: btw not criticizing at all, love sony headphones just wondering what drew you to those as I have NO understanding of noise cancelling or wireless tech! I might be in the market for some new cans once I... become employed again lol ?

Well my wife is always talking at me in the evening while I’m trying to listen to da IDMz...so yeah. Got to cancel that shit.

• Haha 1

In all seriousness, the sound quality is much clearer and I can’t really notice a difference between wired and this Bluetooth. The cancelling can be turned on or off - but when on, it counts down on a lot of the background “chatter”. Pretty immersive but they do cost some serious $$$.