IGNORED

stupid first world problems you're dealing with

Guest KY

I think my friend is going to finally beat me at Scrabble (game 27).  I have a 17 point lead, but also a Q as my last letter... so my score will go down 10 and his will go up 10, unless he can't put his final letters down anywhere.  There's also the slim possibility he could set me up by putting an "i" in the right place, but that seems extremely unlikely.  This will give my rating one hell of a bruising.

30 minutes ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

I think my friend is going to finally beat me at Scrabble (game 27).  I have a 17 point lead, but also a Q as my last letter... so my score will go down 10 and his will go up 10, unless he can't put his final letters down anywhere.  There's also the slim possibility he could set me up by putting an "i" in the right place, but that seems extremely unlikely.  This will give my rating one hell of a bruising.

I love scrabble but always found it to be a game of luck. What's your secret?

Well, it's really not a game of luck, although there is a greater chance for a less skilled player to win (than in a game like chess) because the "luck of the draw" does play a big part.  But a skilled player in Scrabble with bad hands is still likely to win over a novice player with great hands*.  I've been playing since high school, so that's probably a big part of my secret.

*unless the novice player is a world class hand model.  Those hands will always win, of course.

karin.jpg?w=840

Edited by Zephyr_Nova
hand pic
  • Like 2

My dad is drinking himself 6feet under, he looks all purple, can't remember shit and he won't take advice from anyone who loves him.

i have no idea what to do + i haven't had a day in 20 years without alcohol myself even tough i'm aware it's the dumbest drug ever

Edited by Ivan Ooze
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ivan Ooze said:

My dad is drinking himself 6feet under, he looks all purple, can't remember shit and he won't take advice from anyone who loves him.

i have no idea what to do + i haven't had a day in 20 years without alcohol myself even tough i'm aware it's the dumbest drug ever

Man , you got to help him ! This is some serious problem right here ! 

yeah, it breaks my heart but he won't listen to me, it seems that all i do is dissapoint him. Been like that always and he can't seem to deal with his demons from the past.

that fuckin bottle man

Edited by Ivan Ooze
  • Sad 2

Goddamn, that’s rough. In my experience (alcoholic dad as well) if someone’s not ready to stop the main thing to focus on is making sure at least they get some nutrients. Vitamin b deficiency is one of the first things that’s focused on when you go to rehab. If you can somehow get your dad to take some B complex and have a slightly decent meal once a day it might help his cognitive functions and make it slightly easier to reason with him. 

sorry if completely off the mark, this was my experience but I also know how complex this shit usually is. 

• Like 1

I had to put my daughter's favorite pet fish to sleep today, and it's weighing unexpectedly heavy on me.

Some unsolicited advice: if you ever get some guppies for your own fish tank, wait at least two weeks before you name them.

I delivered something extremely smelly from a Japanese restaurant a couple hours ago, and somehow the smell has attached itself to me.  It was in a container, which was within a plastic bag, which I touched briefly when I was accepting it from the staff, and again when handing it to the customer.  How is this even possible?  And why would someone want it in their mouth?

3 hours ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

I delivered something extremely smelly from a Japanese restaurant a couple hours ago, and somehow the smell has attached itself to me.  It was in a container, which was within a plastic bag, which I touched briefly when I was accepting it from the staff, and again when handing it to the customer.  How is this even possible?  And why would someone want it in their mouth?

Lol, wonder if it was the same thing Karl had, or tried to have, on one of his Japan trips ^^

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GcpQGzeBFo0

3 hours ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

Stinky tofu perhaps?

On 2/20/2020 at 7:02 AM, Ivan Ooze said:

How old is he?

My dad used to be the co-owner of an ad-agency. His partner decided to force him out at one point and even though my dad didn't seem to care it broke him the fuck down. And he was already a pretty broken man who drank too much due to too much work and some family issues that he never talked about. But for some reason he has always hate his mom. But when he got bought out of the company he started to work from home and wouldn't it be nice with a glass of wine  at 11 AM to get the creative juices running.
Long story short, he nearly rank himself to death, my mom left him, he collapsed and banged his head into the groun, got diagnosed with frontal lobe dementia and lost like 80 pounds. Fast forward 6 months: turned out the dementia diagnosis was all wrong and that his medicine fucked up him and his liver was so badly injured from the drinking that all the poison in blood went directly to his brain. 

Luckily, this experience turned him around. He got so scared that it changed him into something way better - at least for a while because if you're an alcoholic you'll always be an alcoholic. So he still has his ups and downs. But my point is this, sometimes - especially with this idiotic generation of men - the only way to help them out is to let them destroy themselves completely because only then are they weak enough to either admit they need help or be forced to get help.

It's horrible that the situation has to end up being so extreme but we've tried everything and we know that when he started drinking again, we'll just leave him be and wait for him to call us when he can't get up.

So, I don't know just how bad it is with your dad (my dad was purple as well), but as tough and as shitty as it may sound, you can't help men from that generation (or at least not the majority) because they're simply too weak and old-fashioned to ask for help.

(My MacBook Pro 2018's keyboard if fucked, so if some of these sentences were missing letters or entire words it's because of the keyboard)

2 hours ago, Squee said:

How old is he?

My dad used to be the co-owner of an ad-agency. His partner decided to force him out at one point and even though my dad didn't seem to care it broke him the fuck down. And he was already a pretty broken man who drank too much due to too much work and some family issues that he never talked about. But for some reason he has always hate his mom. But when he got bought out of the company he started to work from home and wouldn't it be nice with a glass of wine  at 11 AM to get the creative juices running.
Long story short, he nearly rank himself to death, my mom left him, he collapsed and banged his head into the groun, got diagnosed with frontal lobe dementia and lost like 80 pounds. Fast forward 6 months: turned out the dementia diagnosis was all wrong and that his medicine fucked up him and his liver was so badly injured from the drinking that all the poison in blood went directly to his brain. 

Luckily, this experience turned him around. He got so scared that it changed him into something way better - at least for a while because if you're an alcoholic you'll always be an alcoholic. So he still has his ups and downs. But my point is this, sometimes - especially with this idiotic generation of men - the only way to help them out is to let them destroy themselves completely because only then are they weak enough to either admit they need help or be forced to get help.

It's horrible that the situation has to end up being so extreme but we've tried everything and we know that when he started drinking again, we'll just leave him be and wait for him to call us when he can't get up.

So, I don't know just how bad it is with your dad (my dad was purple as well), but as tough and as shitty as it may sound, you can't help men from that generation (or at least not the majority) because they're simply too weak and old-fashioned to ask for help.

(My MacBook Pro 2018's keyboard if fucked, so if some of these sentences were missing letters or entire words it's because of the keyboard)

Damn that is brutal man :(

My dad is 68 and has a heart condition that he has to take meds for but drinks wine as soon as he's up till he goes to bed.

I talked to him this week to tell him that i love him and that he needs to drink less or he won't make it to 70 and that it's breaking my heart.

I just hope he'll take my advice, don't know what else to do

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ivan Ooze said:

Damn that is brutal man ?

My dad is 68 and has a heart condition that he has to take meds for but drinks wine as soon as he's up till he goes to bed.

I talked to him this week to tell him that i love him and that he needs to drink less or he won't make it to 70 and that it's breaking my heart.

I just hope he'll take my advice, don't know what else to do

As ridiculous as it sounds, I've kinda gotten used to it. When he goes on a binge we'll just wait it out or do as I did last summer. They had friends over and my dad always takes on the role as a host, so he always makes sure that people have what they need. He left to go to the kitchen, so I followed him, and caught him drinking from a bottle. I snuck up behind and clapped at loud as I could (their house is pretty reverberant so it was loud). He didn't know what to do with himself, and I told him, "you're lucky you're alive and you're a fucking idiot" and his reply was "yeah well, that's my choice". The next time I saw him he was 100% sober and in a great mood. He even offered to pick up my girlfriend from work and so on.

But my dad is 68 as well (or in a couple of months he is - if he makes that far) so they're probably in the same boat when it comes to taking care of themselves and being in touch with their emotions. I'm not saying that our way of handling my dad when he goes on a rampage works for everyone, but he's definitely easier to handle and convince when he's lying in a pool of blood on the floor.

Trying to talk any kind of sense into him is completely useless. And trust me, I've screamed and shouted at him and it doesn't sink in because he's burying his problems and emotions in alcohol. So in a way it's just his way of self medicating himself.

Have you and your family tried staging an intervention?

1 hour ago, Squee said:

As ridiculous as it sounds, I've kinda gotten used to it. When he goes on a binge we'll just wait it out or do as I did last summer. They had friends over and my dad always takes on the role as a host, so he always makes sure that people have what they need. He left to go to the kitchen, so I followed him, and caught him drinking from a bottle. I snuck up behind and clapped at loud as I could (their house is pretty reverberant so it was loud). He didn't know what to do with himself, and I told him, "you're lucky you're alive and you're a fucking idiot" and his reply was "yeah well, that's my choice". The next time I saw him he was 100% sober and in a great mood. He even offered to pick up my girlfriend from work and so on.

But my dad is 68 as well (or in a couple of months he is - if he makes that far) so they're probably in the same boat when it comes to taking care of themselves and being in touch with their emotions. I'm not saying that our way of handling my dad when he goes on a rampage works for everyone, but he's definitely easier to handle and convince when he's lying in a pool of blood on the floor.

Trying to talk any kind of sense into him is completely useless. And trust me, I've screamed and shouted at him and it doesn't sink in because he's burying his problems and emotions in alcohol. So in a way it's just his way of self medicating himself.

Have you and your family tried staging an intervention?

"Well it's my choice" is the same shit he says, he's remarried (guess what caused the divorce) and has a lovely carring wife who is also worried and embarressed by his behaviour and drinking binges. He had to be put in rehab once cause his doctor told him to go asap but after 4 days he left and said he was cured. 4 months later he was drinking like a madman again. 

I guess i would be a bit more cool with it if he could handle his liquor but he's the type that changes into a monster when he's drunk. Crashing his car totally wasted at 4 in the morning and beating up my mum and shit. Luckely he wouldn't have to pull that shit with his new wife, she would destroy him.

he's got a good heart but when he drinks, he's the fuckin devil. I guess i'll just have to try not to think about it too much and learn not to become a boozehound myself

Edited by Ivan Ooze
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1