IGNORED

stupid first world problems you're dealing with

Guest KY

Couple of things;

Ordered a bunch of components and parts from a German supplier but they weren’t able to ship the entire order at once as some parts were out of stock even though they showed as being in stock, and continued to do so about a week after I placed the order. Of course this van happen but apparently this is a common issue people have with this shop, going back several years, bit of a red flag but ok. 
Anyway, it’s been over 3 weeks since I received the partial order so I sent them an e-mail 4 working days ago asking if they had any indication of when the remainder could be shipped. No response. Sent them a follow-up this afternoon if it was ok to request a partial refund so I could get the parts elsewhere,  but still haven’t received an answer even though they were quick to respond before. Frustrating!

Second problem; 

I’m not really a summer guy. Couple of sunny and warm days is cool but the way things are looking now it’s going to be 30+ for the next 7 days or so. Even though facemasks are still not mandatory here, I started wearing one in the shop I run and it’s already been quite challenging wearing one for the 9ish hours customers are around but I anticipate it’s going to be way harder in high temperatures. I hid the fans we have in the hope that my slightly more retarded colleagues won’t decide that it’s a good idea to start using them (One of my signature passive-aggressive dick moves) and send whirlwinds of COVID through the shop. 

Last one;

Found out a couple of weeks ago I’m developing a sinus block heart arrhythmia caused by certain lifestyle choices. My doctor explained there’s not much that can be done and that arrhythmia isn’t inherently dangerous but offered to have me sent through to a cardiologist for further, extensive testing (he’s aware of my lifestyle) but I declined because I feel like a cunt taking up resources and adding to a waitinglist while I know what the cause is and could do something about it. The cognitive dissonance is somewhat deafening. Ugh. 

Long, boring post but had nowhere else to vent right now. My friends just don’t understand plus I’ve been complaining about other shit a lot and there’s only so much whining a person can take. 

Edited by user

30 minutes ago, user said:

facemasks are still not mandatory here

Wait what? I thought NL is Corona hotspot or has that changed?

30 minutes ago, user said:

I’m developing a sinus block heart arrhythmia

I heard breathing exercises can help you be able to control your heart rate, but not an expert. I also heard Ibogaine can potentially stop unwanted cravings. There is an Iboga centre in Amsterdam. But ain't 1 expert.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dingformung said:

Forcing people to wear face masks in public is against the constitution here.

Unless you make a law for it, but because Corona has only been around for 6 months now, the government hasn’t gotten around to it yet.

Luckily the weather is nice so I’m staying the fuck outside.

Just now, rhmilo said:

Forcing people to wear face masks in public is against the constitution here.

Unless you make a law for it, but because Corona has only been around for 6 months now, the government hasn’t gotten around to it yet.

Luckily the weather is nice so I’m staying the fuck outside.

Okay but it is even unconstitutional when inside of private property? Stores could decide on their own that people are only allowed in with a mask, no? But not expert of NL law obviously

1 hour ago, dingformung said:

Okay but it is even unconstitutional when inside of private property? Stores could decide on their own that people are only allowed in with a mask, no? But not expert of NL law obviously

That would be even worse, I’d imagine  (but I’m not an expert, or even very knowledgeable about the Dutch constitution).

The literal translation of the principle this violates is “encroachment on ones personal living space”. By this law the government cannot tell you what you can or cannot wear (or eat or drink or profess to believe etc) It seems unlikely that it would then be possible for a citizen such as me, for example, to tell you you cannot wear purple shirts while visiting my house.

Interestingly, face masks *are* required on public transport. The reason is the law on public transport explicitly allows for exceptions to this principle - and in NL laws can overrule whatever the constitution says.

(the reasoning behind this is judges are not elected while members of parliament are - and the last word on what the constitution means should lie with an elected body. Which in a way makes sense, though the result is there’s all sorts of laws that are unconstitutional). 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dingformung said:

I heard breathing exercises can help you be able to control your heart rate, but not an expert. I also heard Ibogaine can potentially stop unwanted cravings. There is an Iboga centre in Amsterdam. But ain't 1 expert.

Yeah, the second wave is coming on strong here, and if I remember correctly we had/have one of the highest mortality rates. It’s super weird, it’s like the whole thing is still very abstract to a lot of people and I think a lot of Dutch people have a distrust of governmental organisations and are inclined to lean towards bullshit beliefs. Had 2 local government dudes visiting today, doing some checks and they were not wearing masks, I’ve at least 4 regulars that I know work in hospitals/health care and they still visit regularly, again no masks. Same thing for the GP down the street that drops by during her lunchbreak, although I haven’t seen her around for a couple of weeks... Although the thing that bothers me the most (realise this is a nice bit of general xenophobia on my side) are all the tourists pottering about, not keeping distance, not wearing masks, some do but most don’t. My view might be skewed though because obviously the people that are out and about already belong to a group that could be considered more reckless so I’m not implying the majority of Dutches are behaving this way. Same thing with the tourists, they’re just the ones that stand out. I’m aware of the hypocrisy but if I don’t work I have no income so I try to make the best of the situation and be as safe and considerate as possible. 

Thanks for the ibogaine info, it’s something that’s been on my mind, together with ayahuasca for a while but I’m not ready yet, I’m functional and there are upsides to my self medicating </retard addicted brain mode> 
I’ve been practicing meditation and doing breathing exercises on and off and they definitely help. 

2 hours ago, dingformung said:

Stores are considered public terrain here. It’s unlikely that someone would actually take you to court over trying to enforce something like mandatory facemasks in a privately owned/non chain store but legally you don’t have any ground for such requirements. It’s somewhat amusing/interesting though that facemasks are mandatory on public transport and you can get fined for not wearing one. No idea how that works legally.*

*didn’t see rhmilo’s post until just now. 

Edited by user
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, rhmilo said:

That would be even worse, I’d imagine  (but I’m not an expert, or even very knowledgeable about the Dutch constitution).

The literal translation of the principle this violates is “encroachment on ones personal living space”. By this law the government cannot tell you what you can or cannot wear (or eat or drink or profess to believe etc) It seems unlikely that it would then be possible for a citizen such as me, for example, to tell you you cannot wear purple shirts while visiting my house.

Okay but I'm sure there is something like a right to live in the Dutch constitution. As in: Don't kill others with irresponsible behaviour. In hospitals I'm sure it's illegal to not wear a mask in rooms of patients with an infection risk. Makes no sense to me that people aren't obliged to wear masks in stores.

Just found out that at the moment you are governed by a coalition of 4 parties that have entirely different ideological directions, so no wonder the course that's taken is a bit diffuse. But I don't know much about Dutch politics, maybe they are swell dudes.

2 hours ago, user said:

ayahuasca

Yeah, didn't wanna come across as some neo-shaman/esoteric nutjob recommending flying to Peru or Mexico to do Ayahuasca sessions with Lacandon people, lol. Iboga is, from what I've heard, a bit milder/less extreme and there are less charlatans offering it.

2 hours ago, user said:

I’m functional and there are upsides to my self medicating </retard addicted brain mode> 

I think the dangers of amphetamines (not methamphetamine) are hugely overrated, I'm sure it can be used responsibly like weed, even more so than alcohol. </retard WATMM medical opinion> Did it a couple of times for a while, too, never got addicted. But habits are habits, I guess, drug related or not, and people are different. Maybe your heart problems have different reasons so I guess it's smart to take a break and see if it gets better. Maybe that cardiologist visit your doc suggested isn't such a bad idea after all. Don't worry about public costs, just consider the useless stuff tax money is wasted on regularly, healthcare isn't really one of them.

2 hours ago, user said:

Although the thing that bothers me the most (realise this is a nice bit of general xenophobia on my side) are all the tourists pottering about, not keeping distance, not wearing masks, some do but most don’t.

Who the fuck visits Holland as a tourists during a pandemic? Fucktards. Luckily the kind of tourists that come to where I live are either old people or Japanese people.

5 hours ago, dingformung said:

Okay but I'm sure there is something like a right to live in the Dutch constitution. As in: Don't kill others with irresponsible behaviour. In hospitals I'm sure it's illegal to not wear a mask in rooms of patients with an infection risk. Makes no sense to me that people aren't obliged to wear masks in stores.

Most likely (but again,  no expert) this is where the “judges don’t determine how the constitution should be interpreted, lawmakers do” thing comes into play.

Theoretically here is a way around this: go to the EU court to have it determine whether the lack of a law protecting your life violates an EU treaty. This takes a long time, however, so in the current situation it’s probably  not that useful. But in general, yes, this is how citizens of NL hold their government to account.

Just found out that at the moment you are governed by a coalition of 4 parties that have entirely different ideological directions, so no wonder the course that's taken is a bit diffuse. But I don't know much about Dutch politics, maybe they are swell dudes.

Not to be overly dramatic about it but we currently have a sort of Weimar Republic situation going on where the large number of votes for populist parties (around 20 percent, more if you count our Die Linke-like party as populists as well) is making it nearly impossible for centrist parties to form stable coalitions. As a result we get monstrosities like we have now where the parties in government are so far removed from each other ideologically speaking it becomes impossible to get things done.

Luckily the kind of tourists that come to where I live are either old people or Japanese people.

Not that I want to dox you or anything, but “try to guess where Dingformung lives” is becoming an interesting game. Thuringia ... but which city in Thuringia gets Japanese tourists? Hmmm ...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dingformung said:

Yeah, didn't wanna come across as some neo-shaman/esoteric nutjob recommending flying to Peru or Mexico to do Ayahuasca sessions with Lacandon people, lol. Iboga is, from what I've heard, a bit milder/less extreme and there are less charlatans offering it.

I think the dangers of amphetamines (not methamphetamine) are hugely overrated, I'm sure it can be used responsibly like weed, even more so than alcohol. </retard WATMM medical opinion> Did it a couple of times for a while, too, never got addicted. But habits are habits, I guess, drug related or not, and people are different. Maybe your heart problems have different reasons so I guess it's smart to take a break and see if it gets better. Maybe that cardiologist visit your doc suggested isn't such a bad idea after all. Don't worry about public costs, just consider the useless stuff tax money is wasted on regularly, healthcare isn't really one of them.

Yeah, I have them sort of conflated, going to read up on ibogaine and see if there's anyone who doesn't own any healing crystals is offering sessions.

Agreed, and I am in otherwise good overall health. Doc said the same thing, also guess it's better to know a bit more precisely what's going on with my heart rather than thinking it's probably nothing but who knows and dealing with the occasional added low level anxiety that stems from that. Cheers.

• Like 1

Not really a problem of mine, but it bothers me... Audi has pulled an ad that depicts a little girl leaning against a car while eating a banana because people on fucking social media says that it a) looks like she’s being run over by the car and b) the banana is way too phallic. 

Here’s the ad. 
image.jpeg

What the fuck?! Neither of these things are true. And if people think kids eating bananas is the least bit sexual they need their fucking heads checked because they’re gonna have some serious issues when they found out that a lot of kids really like bananas. 
People and brands really need to stop listening to people online because it’s like negotiating with terrorists. No matter what you do or say they’ll win so just ignore them. 

I wanna make an ad for diapers where a kid smokes, drinks, and buys a prostitute. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Burger 2

12 minutes ago, dingformung said:

^It's almost as if people manufacture problems if they don't have real problems.

here's one.. the Portland Art Museum has under its wing the NW FIlmcenter. they do all kinds of stuff that's pretty awesome. they're having a drive-in theater film festival of fun summer films for people.. on the list was Kindergarten Cop. A woman who is an activist and wrote a book about something complained on line about this. She said kindergarten cop glorifies over=policing and the "school to prison pipeline" and the NW Filmcenter pulled the film from the festival.  

lot's of people made fun of this including me via an alternate twitter account i save for such things. Kindergarten COp was trending in oregon yesterday. They blocked me because of it. lol. All i did was call them stupid and wondered aloud if the woman who complained had ever seen Kindergarten Cop.  I've been a memeber of the museum off and on for like 10 years or so and of course had to send them an email w/some feedback about their choices. 

"it's shit all the way down sir"

Edited by ignatius
  • Facepalm 1

How about she just doesn't go watch that film instead of ruining it for everyone else. Cancel culture is out of control.

• Like 2

I wasn't initially offended until I noticed the colour of the car. Everyone knows that red is the colour for whores. Also the license plate? RS 4350? If we decode the numerical message back to their alphabetical equivalents we get the letters: D, C and E, the 0 is ignored because there is no letter 0 in the alphabet. A quick reshuffle of this code gives us: EDC. Eat Dead Children. RS clearly refers to the satanical Belgian rave music label R&S Records. If you look closely there's a horse hidden in their logo. A dark horse. The phonetic equivalent or horse is whores. At this point we've come full ouroboros. From wikipedia: "The Jungian psychologist Erich Neumann writes of it as a representation of the pre-ego "dawn state", depicting the undifferentiated infancy experience of both mankind and the individual child." 

Some really fucked up people working for Audi's marketing department if you ask me. Also ever noticed how Audi's is an anagram for Saudi? They're terrorists.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Farnsworth 3

Problem.  Can’t stop scrolling through my phone mindlessly looking at random shit.   Once you start you can’t stop and you get sucked in.  Gotta start literally putting my phone in my car or something to get it away from me.   Could be doing way more beneficial shit with my time.  

• Like 1

FWP: I got chewed out at work about my performance lately. Been missing meetings and such. I can't blame them since I've lost the motivation to give a damn about their shitty product. I've been testing basically the same thing for an entire year. It changes only slightly between releases and I'm sick of looking at the same exact things every couple weeks. Also, I feel that the company culture has changed to the extent that they expect all of us to always be working. The life/work relationship has gone out of balance and I feel like they're robbing me of my time.

FWS: A friend referred me to a better position and I have an interview with them on Monday. Today, I figured out how to get some shit to work that's pretty complicated which will give me a leg up at the next job.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2020 at 6:09 PM, rhmilo said:

in NL laws can overrule whatever the constitution says.

Lol really? That essentially means the constitution isn’t worth the paper it’s written on.