IGNORED

stupid first world problems you're dealing with

Guest KY

1 hour ago, chenGOD said:

Lol really? That essentially means the constitution isn’t worth the paper it’s written on. 

The way I understand it is as follows:

- Judges are not elected over here, so they should not get to have final say about the law.

- The lower chamber of parliament should take into account what the constitution says when it exercises its legislative power.

- Just to make sure they do, the upper chamber of parliament can reject any law they consider to be of poor quality (because it violates the constitution, say). A law that is rejected in this way is sent back to the lower chamber which gets to try again.

In theory the upper chamber *only* examines the legal quality of a new law. It should ignore political aspects.

In practice, of course, it doesn’t.

Luckily there is a way out of this mess that somewhat resembles the American system everyone is familiar with: while judges *can’t* hold laws up against the constitution, they *can* hold them up to treaties. And as it happens the government has signed a lot of those seeing as that it’s part of the EU.

A recent example of this mechanism is when a judge shot down a law that allowed farmers to keep polluting their surroundings because it violated an EU treaty on the environment. Also, refugees that have been ordered to go back to their country of origin sometimes manage to overturn these orders by invoking the EU human rights treaty.

• Like 1

I mean here in Canada, laws can not alter or circumvent the constitution, especially the Charter of Rights and Freedoms (which is a part of the constitution). 
But what you’re saying here:

the upper chamber of parliament can reject any law they consider to be of poor quality (because it violates the constitution, say). A law that is rejected in this way is sent back to the lower chamber which gets to try again.

seems to indicate that laws can’t actually fundamentally alter the constitution? So if a criminal breaks a law, could he or she challenge it on a constitutional basis? (Hypothetically)

5 hours ago, cwmbrancity said:

Fleets of lawnmowers invading our Sunday chill. What is it about the British and fuckin lawns?

There’s gardening and then there’s this insania.

On a fucking Sunday? I thought Germany was bad in that regard, but at least the day of the lord is still sacrosanct here.

2 minutes ago, chenGOD said:

seems to indicate that laws can’t actually fundamentally alter the constitution? So if a criminal breaks a law, could he or she challenge it on a constitutional basis? (Hypothetically)

They can, because:

4 hours ago, rhmilo said:

In theory the upper chamber *only* examines the legal quality of a new law. It should ignore political aspects.

In practice, of course, it doesn’t.

The same parties that sit in the lower chamber sit in the upper chamber (though their sizes and therefore relative strengths may and often do differ in each chamber). When it’s politically expedient, the upper chamber will let laws pass that legally speaking are questionable.

This is how we ended up with a law that bans head scarves in government buildings, for example. Clearly unconstitutional, but it’s the law so no judge is going to shoot it down.

• Farnsworth 1

4 hours ago, cwmbrancity said:

Fleets of lawnmowers invading our Sunday chill. What is it about the British and fuckin lawns?

There’s gardening and then there’s this insania.

Electric mowers might be the solution. Supposedly the loudest they get is about 75 dB - about the same as normal human conversation.

Ok thanks for explaining @rhmilo. So it seems my original hypothesis is partly correct. The constitution is only partly worthless. Judges here shoot down laws all the time, of course that does lead to worries about judicial activism,  but at least we have a basis for legislation to strive to adhere to with a real risk of it getting shot down if it doesn’t meet those standards. 

14 minutes ago, timbre monke said:

Electric mowers might be the solution. Supposedly the loudest they get is about 75 dB - about the same as normal human conversation.

But the thing is, instead of getting one yourself, which wouldn't really solve anything, you'd have to convince everyone in your whole damn street to purchase one instead of continuing to use their 20 year old monster mower, which won't happen anytime soon. Also, our neighbor has gotten an electric leafblower, and it emits this high-pitched, whining sound that's quieter, but almost as annoying as the old-school ones are. Horrible. Just horrible.

Edited by IDEM

I'm having super bad anxiety lately, but don't want to take meds for it. Just going to ride it out.

Exercise a lot. Cardio stuff. Or even just long walks.
I took meds a bit for panic attacks. It was helpful even just knowing I had them in the little pill container in my pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, ignatius said:

I took meds a bit for panic attacks. It was helpful even just knowing I had them in the little pill container in my pocket.

Thanks Ignatius.

48 minutes ago, yekker said:

I'm having super bad anxiety lately, but don't want to take meds for it. Just going to ride it out.

cannabis works for me:)

4 hours ago, ignatius said:

Exercising a lot to ward off anxiety is not necessarily great advice. Exercise too much and you’ll wear yourself out, making the anxiety and panic attacks worse.

Going for a long walk, however, is fine.

Source: my doctor, years ago, when I thought working 7 days a week, 12+ hours each day was a really swell idea.

Edited by rhmilo
Captain Typo struck again

Y'all mentioned exercise. I'm no fitness guru, but I can confirm that a basic cardio routine does actually solve a lot of health problems. Both my physical and mental health were in decline in early 2018, including difficulty breathing in bed, constant foot aches, and worsening depression - all from not having worked out in years. Even if you're brisk walking or having a light jog @ 30 min any given time 3-4 times a week it works wonders.

Edited by timbre monke
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, rhmilo said:

Exercising a lot to ward off anxiety is not necessarily great advice. Exercise too much and you’ll wear yourself out, making the anxiety and panic attacks worse.

Going for a long walk, however, is fine.

Source: my doctor, years ago, when I thought working 7 days a week, 12+ hours each day was a really swell idea.

interesting. cycling helped me a ton. but maybe it was not quite anxiety i was experiencing?  i say exercise "a ton" but what i really mean is 30 minutes a day  i guess. ?

I've been running exactly 30m per day every day... But it's damn fucking hot and there's no tree's shadow or anything cause, ship, right... And the view is tiresome, i mean, I've been looking at sea for the last 5 months ffs... I miss the hoods in my hometown... Anyway my goal was to lose some weight but I can't seem to make it... Always around 75kg... I guess, at least, it helps not gaining more... 

20 minutes ago, Tim_J said:

I've been running exactly 30m per day every day... But it's damn fucking hot and there's no tree's shadow or anything cause, ship, right... And the view is tiresome, i mean, I've been looking at sea for the last 5 months ffs... I miss the hoods in my hometown... Anyway my goal was to lose some weight but I can't seem to make it... Always around 75kg... I guess, at least, it helps not gaining more... 

30 meters isn't a very far run :dadjoke:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Going for a bike ride or a walk definitely helps my anxiety. Just the time to be active and letting my mind wander was healthy. Being inside and trapped with your own thoughts can put you in a loop.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tim_J said:

Don't they have a gym on the boat?

4 hours ago, Tim_J said:

How long is your contract?  5 months is a crazy long time to be on a cruise ship!  My ex worked on a couple cruise lines.  i think 3 months was her longest contract.

21 minutes ago, Enthusiast said:

Don't they have a gym on the boat?

can't use it now cause CDC regulations...

11 minutes ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

How long is your contract?  5 months is a crazy long time to be on a cruise ship!  My ex worked on a couple cruise lines.  i think 3 months was her longest contract.

usually contracts on cruise ship lines are 6 months but right now i'm staying longer cause of covid...

Edited by Tim_J

I have a few friends that do or have worked on cruise ships. When you start out you usually do a few 6 month stints and then you get 2-3 month stints once you've been there a while (from what I've been told).

Exercise and CBD for sure. I don’t exercise as much as I’d like but I do walk my dog 3 times a day. Try to jog 2-3 times a week, thinking I should get back on my bike on alternating days that I don’t jog. Since I really don’t like jogging but used to cycle a lot. As for CBD, I take it in the evenings a few times per week when I’m feeling anxious and think it’s gonna keep me up.

I’ve got a xanax script for anxiety but hardly touch it (like once a month) because I know it can be habit forming and docs are stingy with it.

Speaking of, I better head to bed so I wake up early enough for a jog before work.