IGNORED

stupid first world problems you're dealing with

Guest KY

49 minutes ago, diatoms said:

Dr. Bronner's Coconut Oil

I use it for my hair & beard, dry skin, cooking with, swishing around in your mouth as an antiseptic and health benifits

I started taking this around 7 years ago

I'm 27 years in remission from cancer

I take

Cannabis & Coconut Oil (as important as the other)

Everyday

&

Feel Healthy with Energy:)

I prefer the smell and texture of the Shea butter, coconut oil made everything a bit too greasy for me but perhaps I was overdoing it. 

Unsolicited, too personal for watmm post in the spoiler.

Spoiler

Hey man, I don’t know you apart from reading your posts on WATMM but you come across as a genuinely stand-up person and when you mention that your cancer is still in remission it always brightens my mood, like seriously. 

At the same time when you advocate cannabis/coconut oil/whatever and attribute your remission to them, you seem to ignore the brutal indifference and complexity of the plural forms of cancer. What works for you may not work for someone else, or maybe your lucky and someone else is just not. Obviously feel free to sing the praises of anything that you feel has helped you but maybe show that this applies to you, in your situation. If you’re convinced that these compounds are key to your remission go and volunteer/donate money at a place that does research or set up some sort of online knowledge base or something. But throwing out there, willy nilly that x or y has kept your disease at bay while in all truth you don’t know stings a bit. 
I’m sorry if I’m overreacting in this clumsily worded post but, like many others, I’ve lost people I love to cancer and currently 2 close friends are losing their mothers to it. An acquaintance is in remission for the third time, obviously relieved and grateful but at the same time anxious about what might happen next and feels powerless over his future, as we all are but luckily don’t have to consider too much under normal circumstances. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, user said:
2 hours ago, diatoms said:

I use it for my hair & beard, dry skin, cooking with, swishing around in your mouth as an antiseptic and health benefits

I take

Everyday

&

I prefer the smell and texture of the Shea butter, coconut oil made everything a bit too greasy for me but perhaps I was overdoing it. 

Hide contents

Hey man, I don’t know you apart from reading your posts on WATMM but you come across as a genuinely stand-up person and when you mention that your cancer is still in remission it always brightens my mood, like seriously. 

At the same time when you advocate cannabis/coconut oil/whatever and attribute your remission to them, you seem to ignore the brutal indifference and complexity of the plural forms of cancer. What works for you may not work for someone else, or maybe your lucky and someone else is just not. Obviously feel free to sing the praises of anything that you feel has helped you but maybe show that this applies to you, in your situation. If you’re convinced that these compounds are key to your remission go and volunteer/donate money at a place that does research or set up some sort of online knowledge base or something. But throwing out there, willy nilly that x or y has kept your disease at bay while in all truth you don’t know stings a bit. 
I’m sorry if I’m overreacting in this clumsily worded post but, like many others, I’ve lost people I love to cancer and currently 2 close friends are losing their mothers to it. An acquaintance is in remission for the third time, obviously relieved and grateful but at the same time anxious about what might happen next and feels powerless over his future, as we all are but luckily don’t have to consider too much under normal circumstances. 

Sorry to hear about your family & friends having cancer

I've lost my dad and grandpa to cancer

I don't know what's keeping me cancer-free

but I attribute it to

Organic

Cannabis, Coconut Oil and Spring water out the side of the hill we live on

and by only eating Organic food

I cut out all residual pesticides/herbicides/chemicals

and

it keeps me Healthy

I also haven't been to the doctor in 7 years

This works for me

and I always say

"I take this or do that to stay in remission from cancer"

"I" or "Me"

:)

Peer-reviewed research about the Health Benefits

of

Coconut Oil

promting

apoptosis in cancer cells:)

The lauric acid-activated signaling prompts apoptosis in cancer cells

Abstract

The saturated medium-chain fatty-acid lauric acid (LA) has been associated to certain health-promoting benefits of coconut oil intake, including the improvement of the quality of life in breast cancer patients during chemotherapy. As it concerns the potential to hamper tumor growth, LA was shown to elicit inhibitory effects only in colon cancer cells. Here, we provide novel insights regarding the molecular mechanisms through which LA triggers antiproliferative and pro-apoptotic effects in both breast and endometrial cancer cells. In particular, our results demonstrate that LA increases reactive oxygen species levels, stimulates the phosphorylation of EGFR, ERK and c-Jun and induces the expression of c-fos. In addition, our data evidence that LA via the Rho-associated kinase-mediated pathway promotes stress fiber formation, which exerts a main role in the morphological changes associated with apoptotic cell death. Next, we found that the increase of p21Cip1/WAF1 expression, which occurs upon LA exposure in a p53-independent manner, is involved in the apoptotic effects prompted by LA in both breast and endometrial cancer cells. Collectively, our findings may pave the way to better understand the anticancer action of LA, although additional studies are warranted to further corroborate its usefulness in more comprehensive therapeutic approaches.

Introduction

Fatty acids are acyclic carboxylic acids with aliphatic tails of different lengths. Based on their carbon atom chain length, fatty acids are classified into the following three groups: short-chain fatty acids with <6 carbon atoms, medium-chain fatty acids (MCFA) and long-chain fatty acids that contain 6–12 carbons and >12 carbons, respectively.1 Fatty acids are major components of triacylglycerols, phospholipids and other complex lipids, therefore representing main contributors to dietary fat in humans.2 Plant oils like palm, coconut and olive oils, nuts, seeds and seed oils, cocoa butter and animal-derived fats as lard, tallow and butter, are rich of fatty acids that are important components of cell membranes and essential sources of energy.2 Previous studies have demonstrated that fatty acids are also involved in diverse transduction pathways, in gene transcription and relevant biological events as cell metabolism, inflammation, apoptosis and production of bioactive lipid mediators, thus contributing to multiple patho-physiological responses.27

Lauric acid (LA), which is a saturated MCFA with 12 carbon atoms and the primary fatty acid of coconut oil, has been associated with certain health benefits of coconut oil intake.810 LA is also contained in plant oils, fruits, seeds and in breast milk.11,12 LA has been shown to elicit diverse actions in various tissues, including a potent antimicrobial property.8 For instance, LA and the derivative monolaurin were reported to destroy cell membranes of gram-positive bacteria and lipid-coated viruses, to interfere with main cellular responses as the activation of transduction cascades and gene transcription, to stabilize cell membranes toward the prevention of bacterial resistance.8 In addition, LA promoted inflammatory processes activating the nuclear factor-κB transcription factor as well as stimulating the expression of cyclooxygenase-2 and pro-inflammatory cytokines.13 LA was also associated with beneficial effects on the cardiovascular system due to its ability to increase the high-density lipoproteins14 and to reduce the blood pressure and heart rate in both normotensive and hypertensive rats.15 Moreover, LA prevented the prostatic hyperplasia induced by testosterone in rats,16 triggered apoptosis in colon cancer cells through oxidative stress17 and improved the sensitization of the EGFR inhibitor cetuximab in KRAS/BRAF mutated colorectal cancer cells.18 It is worth mentioning that the consumption of virgin coconut oil during chemotherapy improved the global quality of life in patients with breast cancer.19

Here, we show for the first time that LA elicits antiproliferative and pro-apoptotic effects in breast and endometrial cancer cells promoting the generation of reactive oxygen species (ROS), the activation of transduction pathways and gene expression changes. In particular, the upregulation of the cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor p21Cip1/WAF1 upon LA exposure was found to be required for its anticancer properties. Our findings shed new light on the molecular mechanisms through which LA induces antiproliferative and pro-apoptotic responses in both breast and endometrial cancer cells toward its usefulness in more comprehensive therapeutic approaches.

Results

LA inhibits cancer cell viability

On the basis of previous findings showing that MCFAs may elicit apoptosis in certain cancer cells17,20 and considering that in our recent investigation LA exerted antiproliferative activity in diverse types of tumor cells,21 we began the present study evaluating whether LA (Figure 1a) and a further MCFA namely capric acid (CA) (Figure 1b) may affect the viability of SkBr3 breast and Ishikawa endometrial cancer cells, which were used as model system. Only LA inhibited the viability of both cancer cell types (Figures 1c and d) without altering the growth of MCF-10A normal breast epithelial cells (Figure 1e), thus suggesting its specific potential to trigger antiproliferative effects in malignant cells.

Figure 1

Lauric acid inhibits the proliferation of breast and endometrial cancer cells. (a, b) Chemical structures of lauric acid (LA) and capric acid (CA). (bd) MTT growth assays in SkBr3 (c), Ishikawa (d) and MCF-10A (e) cells treated for 48 h with vehicle (−) or increasing concentrations of LA and CA, as indicated. Cell viability is expressed as the percentage of cells upon treatments respect to cells treated with vehicle. Values shown are mean±S.D. of three independent experiments performed in triplicate. () indicates P<0.05 for cells receiving vehicle versus treatments.

2013;59(3):214-24.
doi: 10.1159/000356067. Epub 2013 Dec 13.

Induction of apoptosis by the medium-chain length fatty acid lauric acid in colon cancer cells due to induction of oxidative stress

Abstract

Background: Fatty acids are classified as short-chain (SCFA), medium-chain (MCFA) or long-chain and hold promise as adjunctive chemotherapeutic agents for the treatment of colorectal cancer. The antineoplastic potential of MCFA remains underexplored; accordingly, we compared the MCFA lauric acid (C12:0) to the SCFA butyrate (C4:0) in terms of their capacity to induce apoptosis, modify glutathione (GSH) levels, generate reactive oxygen species (ROS), and modify phases of the cell cycle in Caco-2 and IEC-6 intestinal cell lines.

Methods: Caco-2 and IEC-6 cells were treated with lauric acid, butyrate, or vehicle controls. Apoptosis, ROS, and cell cycle analysis were determined by flow cytometry. GSH availability was assessed by enzymology.

Results: Lauric acid induced apoptosis in Caco-2 (p < 0.05) and IEC-6 cells (p < 0.05) compared to butyrate. In Caco-2 cells, lauric acid reduced GSH availability and generated ROS compared to butyrate (p < 0.05). Lauric acid reduced Caco-2 and IEC-6 cells in G0/G1and arrested cells in the S and G2/M phases. Lauric acid induced apoptosis in IEC-6 cells compared to butyrate (p < 0.05). Butyrate protected IEC-6 cells from ROS-induced damage, whereas lauric acid induced high levels of ROS compared to butyrate.

Conclusion: Compared to butyrate, lauric acid displayed preferential antineoplastic properties, including induction of apoptosis in a CRC cell line.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/278329978_Apoptosis_in_lung_cancer_cells_induced_by_virgin_cocnut_oil

Apoptosis in lung cancer cells induced by virgin cocnut oil

Article (PDF Available) · June 2015with 2,050 Reads 

Badrul Yahaya  Siti Amrah Sulaiman  Rahimi M Yusop

Abstract
Introduction: National Cancer Statistics reported that lung cancer listed as third highest among most prevalent cancer in Malaysia. Objectives: In this study, the possibility of using virgin coconut oil (VCO) as new potential anti-apoptosis agent to combat this cancer was evaluated. Experimental design: Two lung cancer cell lines were exposed to series of concentration of virgin coconut oil for 72 hrs. Upon treatment, the morphological changes of the cancer cells were observed. The apoptosis assay using Annexin V- FITC kit was also carried out. Results: We found that VCO at IC50 value of 12.04% (v/v) and 8.64% (v/v) induced apoptosis in NCI-H1299 and A549 lung cancer cell lines, respectively, with 3.57% and 4.20% of the apoptotic cells following treatment. Morphological changes, such as the appearance of massive cytoplasmic vacuolization and blebbing of the cell membrane, were observed in both cell lines after treatment with VCO. When tested on skin-derived fibroblasts, VCO at the IC50 values for both cell types was negative for toxicity. Conclusions: These results suggest that VCO can induce cell death of lung cancer cells and safe to be consumed.

2011 Apr 15;11(8):724-31.doi: 10.4161/cbt.11.8.15281. Epub 2011 Apr 15.

Fatty acids as potential adjunctive colorectal chemotherapeutic agents

Abstract

Fatty acids (FA) are bioactive molecules which have potential as adjunctive chemotherapeutic agents. FA are classified as short-, medium; or long-chain on the basis of the number of carbon atoms in the aliphatic chain and have been reported to induce apoptosis in vitro in a range of cancer cell types, including breast, tongue, cervix and colorectal. However, to date the chain length exerting optimal anti-neoplastic properties remains undefined. Short chain fatty acids, such as butyrate (C4:0), have induced high rates of in vitro apoptosis, presumably related to epigenetic modification, cell cycle arrest and activation of pro-apoptotic genes. Medium chain fatty acids have demonstrated in vivo and in vitro cytotoxic and anti-microbial properties; however, scant evidence currently exists on their anti-neoplastic potential. Longer unsaturated fatty acids (C16-24: ω3-9), including conjugated linoleic acid and eicosapentaenoic acid, also exhibit in vitro anti-proliferative actions, including induction of oxidative stress and modification of intracellular signalling pathways. Although incorporation of FA into CRC chemotherapy regimens is in its infancy, evidence is accumulating to allow identification of the FA chain length capable of exerting the most effective anti-neoplastic activity.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32602684/

Coconut Oil and Immunity: What do we really know about it so far?

Affiliations

Affiliations

• 1 Dean, Indian College of Physicians; Consultant Endocrinologist, Lilavati Hospital and Research Centre and Bhatia Hospital, Mumbai, Maharashtra.
  • 2 Research and Development Centre, Marico Limited, Mumbai, Maharashtra.
  • PMID: 32602684

Abstract

Coconut oil as health oil was recognized in Ayurvedic medicine almost 4000 years ago. The same health effects were also attributed to the mother's milk in ancient literature. Modern research has now found a common link between these two natural health products - their lipid content. The medium chain fatty acids and monoglycerides found primarily in coconut oil have miraculous healing power which act as natural antibiotic and also help modulate immunity. The information discussed in this review explains that coconut oil, either topically applied or ingested, gets broken down to release Lauric Acid and Monolaurin - known anti-microbial agents. The studies reported in literature are discussed to evaluate the antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal benefits of coconut oil. Not only does coconut oil metabolites have antimicrobial activity but also these remarkable derivatives have been shown not to cause resistance organisms to appear. The anti-microbial mechanistic action also helps activate the antiinflammatory nature of the immune response in human body. In vitro, animal, and human studies support the potential of coconut oil as effective and safe immune-nutritive active. New and exciting health and industrial uses of coconut oil and its derivative are possible. Never before in recent times has the recognition of the positive health effects of coconut oil been stronger. And never before in the history of man is it so important to emphasize both need and efficacy of natural products known for their safety proposition. Immunity has been a buzzword in the current scenario and the demand for modulating immunity with natural means has been so unprecedented and so ubiquitous. Coconut oil and its value added forms can contribute to a more vigorous and healthy future.

© Journal of the Association of Physicians of India 2011.

Numerous scientific studies

about the Health benefits of

Coconut oil

form https://coconutoil.com/peer_reviewed/

Coconut Oil

Coconut Oil and Immunity: What Do We Really Know About It So Far?
Journal of The Association of Physicians in India. 2020 Jul;68(7):67-72.

Potential of coconut oil and medium chain triglycerides in the prevention and treatment of Alzheimer’s disease
Mechanisms of Ageing and Development. Volume 186, March 2020, 111209

Coconut oil protects against light-induced retina degeneration in male Wistar rats
Pathophysiology. March 2019 Volume 26, Issue 1, Pages 89–95

Coconut oil consumption improves fat-free mass, plasma HDL-cholesterol and insulin sensitivity in healthy men with normal BMI compared to peanut oil.
Clin Nutr. 2018 Dec 29.

Improvement of Main Cognitive Functions in Patients with Alzheimer’s Disease after Treatment with Coconut Oil Enriched Mediterranean Diet: A Pilot Study.
J Alzheimers Dis. 2018

Effects of natural products on several stages of the spore cycle of Clostridium difficile in vitro.
J Appl Microbiol. 2018 Apr 19

Comparative Evaluation of Antiplaque Efficacy of Coconut Oil Pulling and a Placebo, Among Dental College Students: A Randomized Controlled Trial.
J Clin Diagn Res. 2017 Sep

Coconut phytocompounds inhibits polyol pathway enzymes: Implication in prevention of microvascular diabetic complications
Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 2017 Dec

The Effect of Coconut Oil pulling on Streptococcus mutans Count in Saliva in Comparison with Chlorhexidine Mouthwash.
J Contemp Dent Pract. 2016 Jan

COCONUT OIL: NON-ALTERNATIVE DRUG TREATMENT AGAINST ALZHEIMER´S DISEASE
Nutr Hosp. 2015 Dec 1

An ecological study for Sri Lanka about health effects of coconut.
Ceylon Med J. 2015 Sept

Aluminum phosphide poisoning: Possible role of supportive measures in the absence of specific antidote
Indian J Crit Care Med. 2015 Feb; 19

Coconut Oil Attenuates the Effects of Amyloid-β on Cortical Neurons In Vitro.
J Alzheimers Dis. 2013 Oct 22.

Coconut Oil Enhances Tomato Carotenoid Tissue Accumulation Compared to Safflower Oil in the Mongolian Gerbil ( Meriones unguiculatus ).
J Agric Food Chem. 2012 Aug 16.

Dietary Conjugated Linoleic Acid Induces Lipolysis in Adipose Tissue of Coconut Oil-Fed Mice but not Soy Oil-Fed Mice.
Lipids. 2011 Jun 4

Dietary fatty acids and oxidative stress in the heart mitochondria.
Mitochondrion. 2010 Aug 5.

Effects of Dietary Coconut Oil on the Biochemical and Anthropometric Profiles of Women Presenting Abdominal Obesity
Lipids. 2009 May 13.

In vitro antimicrobial properties of coconut oil on Candida species in Ibadan, Nigeria.
J Med Food. 2007 Jun;10(2):384-7.

Beneficial effects of virgin coconut oil on lipid parameters and in vitro LDL oxidation.
Clin Biochem. 2004 Sep;37(9):830-5.

A diet rich in coconut oil reduces diurnal postprandial variations in circulating tissue plasminogen activator antigen and fasting lipoprotein (a) compared with a diet rich in unsaturated fat in women.
J Nutr. 2003 Nov;133(11):3422-7.

COCONUT OIL: Atherogenic or Not?
(What therefore causes Atherosclerosis?)

By Conrado S. Dayrit, MD. FACC. FPCC. FPCP

Philippine Journal Of CARDIOLOGY
July-September 2003, Volume 31 Number 3:97-104

Dietary coconut oil increases conjugated linoleic acid-induced body fat loss in mice independent of essential fatty acid deficiency.
 Biochim Biophys Acta. 2005 Oct 15;1737(1):52-60. Epub 2005 Sep 13.

Successful treatment of acute aluminium phosphide poisoning: possible benefit of coconut oil.
Hum Exp Toxicol. 2005 Apr;24(4):215-8.

Cholesterol, coconuts, and diet on Polynesian atolls: a natural experiment: the Pukapuka and Tokelau island studies.
Am J Clin Nutr 1981 Aug;34(8):1552-61

Choice of cooking oils–myths and realities.
J Indian Med Assoc 1998 Oct;96(10):304-7

The role of coconut and coconut oil in coronary heart disease in Kerala, south India.
Trop Doct. 1997 Oct;27(4):215-7.

Coconut oil compound may treat STDs
AIDS Patient Care STDS 1999 Sep;13(9):572

Chirurg 2002 Apr;73(4):387-92
Coconut oil used in Indonesia for treatment of wounds and to preserve medicinal herbs

Energy restriction with high-fat diet enriched with coconut oil gives higher UCP1 and lower white fat in rats.
Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 1998 Oct;22(10):974-9.

Intestinal adaptation in short bowel syndrome without tube feeding or home parenteral nutrition: report of four consecutive cases.
Nutrition. 1998 Jun;14(6):508-12.

Virgin Coconut Oil

The protective role of virgin coconut oil on the alloxan-induced oxidative stress in the liver, kidneys and heart of diabetic rats.
Food Funct. 2019 Mar 28.

Virgin coconut oil is effective to treat metabolic and inflammatory dysfunction induced by high refined carbohydrate-containing diet in mice.
The Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry Volume 63, January 2019

Beneficial Effect of Virgin Coconut Oil on Alloxan-Induced Diabetes and Microbiota Composition in Rats.
Plant Foods Hum Nutr. 2018 Dec

Virgin coconut oil (VCO) by normalizing NLRP3 inflammasome showed potential neuroprotective effects in Amyloid-β induced toxicity and high-fat diet fed rat
Food Chem Toxicol. 2018 May 2

Virgin coconut oil extract mitigates testicular-induced toxicity of alcohol use in antiretroviral therapy.
Andrology. 2018 Apr 14

Polyphenols isolated from virgin coconut oil attenuate cadmium-induced dyslipidemia and oxidative stress due to their antioxidant properties and potential benefits on cardiovascular risk ratios in rats
Avicenna J Phytomed. 2018 Jan-Feb

Antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects of virgin coconut oil supplementation abrogate acute chemotherapy oxidative nephrotoxicity induced by anticancer drug methotrexate in rats.
Biomed Pharmacother. 2017 Dec 7

Repeatedly heated palm kernel oil induces hyperlipidemia, atherogenic indices and hepatorenal toxicity in rats: Beneficial role of virgin coconut oil supplementation
Acta Sci Pol Technol Aliment. 2017 Oct-Dec

Angiogenic and wound healing potency of fermented virgin coconut oil: in vitro and in vivo studies.
Am J Transl Res. 2017 Nov 15

Dietary Supplementation with Virgin Coconut Oil Improves Lipid Profile and Hepatic Antioxidant Status and Has Potential Benefits on Cardiovascular Risk Indices in Normal Rats
Journal of Dietary Supplements. 2017 Aug 17

Virgin coconut oil supplementation attenuates acute chemotherapy hepatotoxicity induced by anticancer drug methotrexate via inhibition of oxidative stress in rats.
Biomed Pharmacother. 2017 Jan 6

Anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effect of Kerabala: a value-added ayurvedic formulation from virgin coconut oil inhibits pathogenesis in adjuvant-induced arthritis.
Inflammopharmacology. 2016 Nov 22.

Renoprotective effect of virgin coconut oil in heated palm oil diet-induced hypertensive rats.
Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2016 Oct

Virgin coconut oil maintains redox status and improves glycemic conditions in high fructose fed rats.
J Food Sci Technol. 2016 Jan

Polyphenolics isolated from virgin coconut oil inhibits adjuvant induced arthritis in rats through antioxidant and anti-inflammatory action.
Int Immunopharmacol. 2014 Mar 5

Effect of virgin coconut oil enriched diet on the antioxidant status and paraoxonase 1 activity in ameliorating the oxidative stress in rats – a comparative study.
Food Funct. 2013 Jul 29

Virgin coconut oil improves hepatic lipid metabolism in rats–compared with copra oil, olive oil and sunflower oil.
Indian J Exp Biol. 2012 Nov;50(11):802-9.

Virgin coconut oil supplementation prevents bone loss in osteoporosis rat model
Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2012;2012:237236. Epub 2012 Sep 16.

An open-label pilot study to assess the efficacy and safety of virgin coconut oil in reducing visceral adiposity.
ISRN Pharmacol. 2011;2011:949686. Epub 2011 Mar 15.

In vivo Antinociceptive and Anti-inflammatory Activities of Dried and Fermented Processed Virgin Coconut Oil 
Med Princ Pract. 2011;20(3):231-6. Epub 2011 Mar 29.

Hepatoprotective Activity of Dried- and Fermented-Processed Virgin Coconut Oil
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 142739

Anti-inflammatory, analgesic, and antipyretic activities of virgin coconut oil.
Pharm Biol. 2010 Feb;48(2):151-7.

Wet and dry extraction of coconut oil: impact on lipid metabolic and antioxidant status in cholesterol coadministered rats.
Can J Physiol Pharmacol. 2009 Aug;87(8):610-6.

Antioxidant capacity and phenolic acids of virgin coconut oil.
Int J Food Sci Nutr. 2009;60 Suppl 2:114-23. Epub 2008 Dec 27.

Beneficial effects of virgin coconut oil on lipid parameters and in vitro LDL oxidation.
Clin Biochem. 2004 Sep;37(9):830-5.

Coconut Oil and Skin

Effect of Virgin Coconut Oil Application on the Skin of Preterm Newborns: A Randomized Controlled Trial.
J Trop Pediatr. 2019 Jun 29.

Dietary coconut oil ameliorates skin contact hypersensitivity through mead acid production in mice.
Allergy. 2019 Mar 6.

In vitro anti-inflammatory and skin protective properties of Virgin coconut oil
J Tradit Complement Med. 2019 Jan

The effect of topical virgin coconut oil on SCORAD index, transepidermal water loss, and skin capacitance in mild to moderate pediatric atopic dermatitis: a randomized, double-blind, clinical trial.
Int J Dermatol. 2013 Dec 10.

Development and Anti-microbial Potential of Topical Formulations Containing Cocos nucifera Linn.
Antiinflamm Antiallergy Agents Med Chem. 2013 Jun 4

Effect of topical application of virgin coconut oil on skin components and antioxidant status during dermal wound healing in young rats.
Skin Pharmacol Physiol. 2010;23(6):290-7. Epub 2010 Jun 3.

Antimicrobial Property of Lauric Acid Against Propionibacterium Acnes: Its Therapeutic Potential for Inflammatory Acne Vulgaris.
J Invest Dermatol. 2009 Apr 23

Novel antibacterial and emollient effects of coconut and virgin olive oils in adult atopic dermatitis.
Dermatitis. 2008 Nov-Dec

Oil massage in neonates: an open randomized controlled study of coconut versus mineral oil.
Indian Pediatr. 2005 Sep;42(9):877-84.

Uptake of vitamin E succinate by the skin, conversion to free vitamin E, and transport to internal organs.
Biochem Mol Biol Int. 1999 Mar;47(3):509-18.

Coconut Oil and Hair

Clinical trial showing superiority of a coconut and anise spray over permethrin 0.43% lotion for head louse infestation
Eur J Pediatr. 2010 Jan;169(1):55-62.

Effect of mineral oil, sunflower oil, and coconut oil on prevention of hair damage.
J Cosmet Sci. 2003 Mar-Apr;54(2):175-92

Secondary ion mass spectrometric investigation of penetration of coconut and mineral oils into human hair fibers: Relevance to hair damage
J Cosmet. Sci., 52, 169-184 (May/June 2001)

Lauric Acid/Monolaurin

Laurine fatty acids, medium fatty acids and triglycerides, hyperlipidemia, resistance to insulin, prevention of atherosclerosis and ateromatosis.
Klin Lab Diagn. 2019;64(2):68-77.

Lauric Acid Alleviates Neuroinflammatory Responses by Activated Microglia: Involvement of the GPR40-Dependent Pathway.
Neurochem Res. 2018 Jun 26.

Cell Death Discovery, 2017 Sep 18

Acute Treatment with Lauric Acid Reduces Blood Pressure and Oxidative Stress in Spontaneously Hypertensive Rats.
Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol. 2016 Nov 7

In Vitro Anti-Propionibacterium Activity by Curcumin Containing
Vesicle System

“Our results highlight the potential of using vehicles containing lauric acid and curcumin as an alternative treatment for acne vulgaris.”
Chemical and Pharmaceutical Bulletin (Tokyo). 2013;61(4):419-25.

Effect of saturated fatty acid-rich dietary vegetable oils on lipid profile, antioxidant enzymes and glucose tolerance in diabetic rats.
Indian J Pharmacol. 2010 Jun;42(3):142-5.

Glycerol monolaurate inhibits Candida and Gardnerella vaginalis in vitro and in vivo but not Lactobacillus. 
Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2010 Feb;54(2):597-601

Antibacterial study of the medium chain fatty acids and their 1-monoglycerides: individual effects and synergistic relationships. 
Pol J Microbiol. 2009;58(1):43-7.

Glycerol monolaurate prevents mucosal SIV transmission. 
Nature. 2009 Apr 23;458(7241):1034-8.

Antimicrobial activity of potassium hydroxide and lauric acid against microorganisms associated with poultry processing.
J Food Prot. 2006 Jul;69(7):1611-5.

Effect of fatty acid chain length on suppression of ghrelin and stimulation of PYY, GLP-2 and PP secretion in healthy men.
Peptides. 2006 Jul;27(7):1638-43. Epub 2006 Mar 23.

Glycerol monolaurate inhibits virulence factor production in Bacillus anthracis. 
Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2005 Apr;49(4):1302-5.

Consumption of a Solid Fat Rich in Lauric Acid Results in a More Favorable Serum Lipid Profile in Healthy Men and Women than Consumption of a Solid Fat Rich in trans-Fatty Acids
Journal of Nutrition. 2001;131:242-245

Effect of fatty acids on arenavirus replication: inhibition of virus production by lauric acid
Arch Virol 2001;146(4):777-90

Lauric acid inhibits the maturation of vesicular stomatitis virus.
J Gen Virol. 1994 Feb;75 ( Pt 2):353-61.

MCTs (Medium Chain Triglycerides)

Contrasting metabolic effects of medium- versus long-chain fatty acids in skeletal muscle.
J Lipid Res. 2013 Dec;54(12)

Anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties of capric acid against Propionibacterium acnes: A comparative study with lauric acid.
J Dermatol Sci. 2013 Nov 7. pii: S0923-1811

Medium-chain Triglyceride Ketogenic Diet, An Effective Treatment for Drug-resistant Epilepsy and A Comparison with Other Ketogenic Diets.
Biomed J. 2013 Jan;36(1):9-15

Inhibition of Candida mycelia growth by a medium chain fatty acids, capric acid in vitoro and its therapeutic efficacy in murine oral candidiasis
Med Mycol J. 2012;53(4):255-61.

Caprylic Triglyceride as a Novel Therapeutic Approach to Effectively Improve the Performance and Attenuate the Symptoms Due to the Motor Neuron Loss in ALS Disease
PLoS ONE 7(11): e49191. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0049191 (2012)

Combined medium-chain triglyceride and chilli feeding increases diet-induced thermogenesis in normal-weight humans.
Eur J Nutr. 2012 Nov 20.

Sophorolipid production by Candida bombicola on oils with a special fatty acid composition and their consequences on cell viability.
Biotechnol Lett. 2010 Oct;32(10):1509-14

Enhancement of muscle mitochondrial oxidative capacity and alterations in insulin action are lipid species dependent: potent tissue-specific effects of medium-chain fatty acids.
Diabetes. 2010 May;59(5):1283.

Medium-chain fatty acids improve cognitive function in intensively treated type 1 diabetic patients and support in vitro synaptic transmission during acute hypoglycemia.
 Diabetes. 2009 May;58(5):1237-44.

Effect of ingestion of medium-chain triacylglycerols on moderate- and high-intensity exercise in recreational athletes.
 J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo). 2009 Apr;55(2):120-5.

Partial replacement of dietary (n-6) fatty acids with medium-chain triglycerides decreases the incidence of spontaneous colitis in interleukin-10-deficient mice.
J Nutr. 2009 Mar;139(3):603-10.

Effects of beta-hydroxybutyrate on cognition in memory-impaired adults. (Applies to Alzheimer’s)
Neurobiol Aging. 2004 Mar;25(3):311-4.

Consumption of an oil composed of medium chain triacyglycerols, phytosterols, and N-3 fatty acids improves cardiovascular risk profile in overweight women.
Metabolism. 2003 Jun;52(6):771-7.

Medium-Chain Oil Reduces Fat Mass and Down-regulates Expression of Adipogenic Genes in Rats.
Obes Res. 2003 Jun;11(6):734-44.

An enteral therapy containing medium-chain triglycerides and hydrolyzed peptides reduces postprandial pain associated with chronic pancreatitis.
Pancreatology. 2003;3(1):36-40.

Protective effects of medium-chain triglycerides on the liver and gut in rats administered endotoxin.
Ann Surg. 2003 Feb;237(2):246-55.

Medium-chain triglycerides increase energy expenditure and decrease adiposity in overweight men.
Obes Res. 2003 Mar;11(3):395-402.

Larger diet-induced thermogenesis and less body fat accumulation in rats fed medium-chain triacylglycerols than in those fed long-chain triacylglycerols.
J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo). 2002 Dec;48(6):524-9.

Comparison of diet-induced thermogenesis of foods containing medium- versus long-chain triacylglycerols.
J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo). 2002 Dec;48(6):536-40.

Enteral nutrition in Crohn’s disease: fat in the formula.
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2003 Feb;15(2):115-8.

Protective effects of medium-chain triglycerides on the liver and gut in rats administered endotoxin.

The influence of a preserved colon on the absorption of medium chain fat in patients with small bowel resection.
Gut. 1998 Oct;43(4):478-83.

Effects of intravenous supplementation with alpha-tocopherol in patients receiving total parenteral nutrition containing medium- and long-chain triglycerides
Eur J Clin Nutr 2002 Feb;56(2):121-8

Killing of Gram-positive cocci by fatty acids and monoglycerides
APMIS 2001 Oct;109(10):670-8

Physiological effects of medium-chain triglycerides: potential agents in the prevention of obesity.
J Nutr 2002 Mar;132(3):329-32

Value of VLCD supplementation with medium chain triglycerides
Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 2001 Sep;25(9):1393-400

In vitro killing of Candida albicans by fatty acids and monoglycerides.
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2001 Nov;45(11):3209-12

Decreased fat and nitrogen losses in patients with AIDS receiving medium-chain-triglyceride-enriched formula vs those receiving long-chain-triglyceride-containing formula.
Am Diet Assoc. 1997 Jun;97(6):605-11

Effects of different lipid sources in total parenteral nutrition on whole body protein kinetics and tumor growth.
JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 1992 Nov-Dec;16(6):545-51

Enhanced thermogenesis and diminished deposition of fat in response to overfeeding with diet containing medium chain triglyceride.
Am J Clin Nutr. 1982 Apr;35(4):678-82

Thermogenesis in humans during overfeeding with medium-chain triglycerides.
Metabolism. 1989 Jul;38(7):641-8

BetheLightthatradiatesunconditionalLoveForgiveHealandhaveFun:)

3 hours ago, diatoms said:
5 hours ago, user said:
6 hours ago, diatoms said:

I use it for my hair & beard, dry skin, cooking with, swishing around in your mouth as an antiseptic and health benefits

I take

Everyday

&

Hide contents

but I attribute it to

Organic

and

it keeps me Healthy

This works for me

and I always say

"I" or "Me"

Over 100 Scientific Studies Agree: Cannabis Kills Cancer Cells

by DailyHealthPost EditorialJanuary 16, 2020

The healing properties of cannabis are nothing new. In ancient India, cannabis was used to treat ailments such as insomnia and pain. The Greeks used it to cure ailments such as nosebleeds and tapeworms. In Medieval Islam, history shows cannabis used as a diuretic, antiemetic, and antiepileptic (1).

Even in the West, cannabis was the primary pain reliever prescribed by doctors until Aspirin took its place in 1897. Up until the “war on drugs” began around 1937, there were at least 2000 different cannabis-based medicines on the market (2).

Today, the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) still labels cannabis a Schedule I drug in many states because “it has a high potential for abuse and the potential to create severe psychological and/or physical dependence.” (3).

With the advent of the medical marijuana movement in the US, however, more studies are being funded to determine the actual healing potential of this herb.

Cannabis and Cancer

Despite the onslaught of negative warnings about cannabis, most of which are likely linked to or generated by drug companies that stand to lose billions on dangerous cancer drugs should cannabis be recognized as an effective natural alternative, there are countless cannabis cancer studies proving the herb’s powerful anti-cancer properties.

The National Cancer Institute, mandated by US law to educate Americans about cancer and the latest research efforts, even shows that cannabis does, in fact, kill cancer cells (4).

The organization admits that the cannabinoids in cannabis inhibits tumor growth by causing cells to die, blocking cell growth, and blocking the development of the blood vessels tumors rely on for growth.

It also reveals that cannabis is effective for dealing with a variety of cancer-related symptoms such as nausea, loss of appetite, anxiety, pain and sleep disturbances.

One 2013 study shows cannabidiol (CBD) has very powerful anti-cancer agents, which is important because researchers also determined that some cancerous cells are actually more sensitive to CBD-induced apoptosis (cell death) (5).

There are also numerous studies on the tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) in cannabis, which reveal it is responsible for a multitude of healing properties, including powerful anti-cancer properties.

One study specifically shows THC is effective for brain cancer, a particularly aggressive and typically terminal form of cancer (6).

The number and types of cancers cannabis is shown to treat is truly astounding, especially when you consider the ongoing fight proponents for the herb face daily simply to have it recognized as a therapeutic agent.

Cannabis Cancer Studies

Cannabis’ medical properties really shouldn’t be ignored.

Breast Cancer

Breast-Cancer---600x315.jpg

According to Breast Cancer.Org, approximately 246,660 women will develop invasive breast cancer in 2016 and another 61,000 will have the non-invasive (in situ) form (7).

Most of these women will choose conventional medicine like surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation to combat the disease, therapies that are highly invasive and even toxic (8).

Proven natural and holistic therapies are typically ignored despite studies that show cannabis, a far less invasive and toxic alternative can actually slow metastatic breast cancer.

One study published in Molecular Cancer Therapeutics shows that cannabidiol (CBD) is not only non-toxic, but it can actually decrease the aggressiveness of this very deadly form of cancer (9).

Other studies also confirm the findings; one study even concluding that CBD not only reduces the primary tumor mass, but it shrinks the size and number of metastatic cancer cells (10).

Another study published in Cancer Treatment Reviews shows that CBD hampers tumor growth, angiogenesis, and metastasis and as such, offers new hope as a non-toxic breast cancer therapy (11).

Another study published in the journal PLoS One concludes that CBD can be useful “…for developing innovative therapeutic strategies against breast cancer.” (12).

Prostate Cancer

Prostate-Cancer---600x315.jpg

Studies show prostate tissue possesses cannabinoid receptors that have an anti-androgenic effect when stimulated (13). This research is vital for new cancer therapies since we already know prostate cancer cells need androgens (male sex hormones) to grow.

Currently, conventional medicine uses Androgen Deprivation Therapy (ADT), a widely used cancer protocol for men with prostate cancer. This therapy deprives prostate cells of androgen, thus inhibiting further development.

Doctors typical achieve this goal in one of two ways:

1. Surgical removal of one or both testicles (orchiectomy), which prevents further testosterone production. While this treatment is extreme, it does reduce the level of testosterone by 90-95 percent.  This procedure is also irreversible, however, so it is rarely used.

2. Medication, which is the typical treatment of choice if a man chooses to explore ADT (14).

There is plenty of evidence showing that using ADT for prostate cancer confined to the prostate offers no demonstrated survival advantage, and in fact, causes significant harm such as impotence, diabetes, and bone loss. Despite this, 80 percent of American doctors still provide ADT to their patients with localized prostate cancer (15).

There is another option, however, and that is cannabis. Serval studies show that the endocannabinoids in cannabis are a beneficial option for the treatment of prostate cancer, especially cancer that is nonresponsive to common therapies (16).

Colon Cancer

Colon-Cancer---600x315.jpg

When it comes to colon cancer, one study published in Pharmacological Research concludes that cannabinoids have anti-proliferative, anti-metastatic, and apoptotic effects on cancer cells and even promote wound healing. Researchers show that cannabinoids even have protective effects on “intestinal inflammation and colon cancer.” (17)

Other studies on cannabis and colon cancer show that CBD can significantly “control colon cancer proliferation.” (18)

Leukemia

Leukemia---600x315.jpg

According to the American Cancer Society, “Two recently identified types of acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL) are extremely difficult to treat with existing drugs.” (19).

Studies on cannabis, however, show the herb can induce cytotoxicity in leukemia cell lines: “We have shown that THC is a potent inducer of apoptosis, even at 1 x IC (50) (inhibitory concentration 50%) concentrations and as early as 6 hours after exposure to the drug. These effects were seen in leukemic cell lines (CEM, HEL-92, and HL60) as well as in peripheral blood mononuclear cells.” (20)

Another study from 2006 also concludes that cannabidiol can dramatically induce cell death in leukemia cells. Researchers of this study claim that cannabidiol may actually be a new and highly selective treatment for leukemia (21).

Other studies show that cannabinoids not only inhibit the growth of a broad spectrum of tumor cells but that they are effective agents to trigger apoptosis in human leukemia cells (22).

A previous 2003 study published in Leukemia and Lymphoma also concludes that two non-psychotropic cannabinoids, cannabidiol (CBD) and cannabidiol-dimethylheptyl (CBD-DMH) will induce apoptosis in a human acute myeloid leukemia (AML)  (23).

Cervical Cancer

Cervical-Cancer---600x315.jpg

Estimates show 4,120 women will die from cervical cancer this year (24). While the 5-year survival rate is 68 percent, if cancer spreads to a distant part of the body, this rate drops to only 17 percent.

Most women with uterine cancer have surgery to remove their uterus (hysterectomy) and as well, often both fallopian tubes and ovaries. This is a non-reversible, highly invasive treatment.

Post-surgery, doctors also often recommend radiation, chemotherapy, hormone therapy or a combination of the three for more aggressive forms of endometrial and metastatic cancer (25).

Studies on cannabis and cervical cancer cells clearly show that cannabidiol extracts can prevent cell growth and induce cell death in cervical cancer cell lines.

A 2016 study, published in the BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, further shows that “both cannabidiol and cannabis sativa extracts were able to halt cell proliferation in all cell lines at varying concentrations.” (26)

Melanoma

Melanoma---600x315.jpg

Melanoma is the leading cause of death from skin diseases and it can easily spread deep into your skin and quickly metastasize to other tissues in your body.

Currently, there are few options for treatment beyond prevention and early detection. If diagnosed and treated early, when tumors are still thin and not deeply rooted in the skin, surgery is still an option. If missed, however, a melanoma will continue to divide under the skin’s surface and invade healthy tissue.

This type of malignant melanocyte tends to grow downward instead of horizontally, so it becomes thick and deep and the disease easily invades your lymphatic system where it becomes hard to control as it spreads to other parts of your body (27).

Even with intensive research, prevention and early detection are still the only effective measures against melanoma. As such, new therapeutic strategies are vital for the management of this devastating disease.

One such treatment is cannabis according to a study published in the FASEB Journal, which shows cannabinoids encourages cancer cell death while decreasing growth, proliferation, and metastasis of melanoma cells (28).

Other studies show that cannabinoids are also effective for non-melanoma skin cancers. Specifically, cannabinoid-treated tumors show an increased number of apoptotic cells.

Researchers conclude the results “support a new therapeutic approach for the treatment of skin tumors.” (29)

According to other research published in the Journal of Clinical Investigation: “Local administration of [cannabinoids] induced a considerable growth inhibition of malignant tumors generated by inoculation of epidermal tumor cells into nude mice. Cannabinoid-treated tumors showed an increased number of apoptotic cells. This was accompanied by impairment of tumor vascularization, as determined by altered blood vessel morphology and decreased expression of proangiogenic factors (VEGF, placental growth factor, and angiopoietin 2). … These results support a new therapeutic approach for the treatment of skin tumors.” (30)

Immunity

Immunity---600x315.jpg

One of the complications of cancer is a compromised immune system, which results in cancer patients falling victim to an array of other diseases.

Research published in the paper Prostaglandins, Leukotrienes and Essential Fatty Acids shows that cannabis is a viable alternative for these people.

The study shows that cannabinoid compounds play a key role in “modulating the immune system to improve the outcome of a cancer diagnosis.”

Researchers suggest there is significant “therapeutic potential of these compounds in immune disorders and cancer.” (31)

Other studies confirm cannabimimetic agents have substantial effects on natural killer cells, which makes them valuable agents for reducing tumor growth and cell apoptosis.

Researchers claim that “cannabis demonstrates a subtle but significant role in the regulation of immunity and that this role can eventually be exploited in the management of human disease.” (32)

While there are literally hundreds of studies that clearly demonstrate the powerful anti-cancer properties of cannabis for preventing and even eradicating cancer without the often deadly side effects of conventional treatments, it is still an uphill battle to legitimize the herb.

Legalizing it is a good first step. In the interim, researchers continue to study cannabis’ potent healing abilities.

Scientific Studies from the National Institute of Health

If you’re still in doubt regarding the effectiveness of cannabis for healing cancer, have a look at these 100+ scientific studies from the National Institute of Health:

Tumor Cells

Uterine, Testicular, And Pancreatic Cancers

Brain Cancer

Mouth And Throat Cancer

Breast Cancer

Lung Cancer

Prostate Cancer

Blood Cancer

Skin Cancer

Liver Cancer

Cannabis And Cancer

Cancers Of The Head And Neck

Cholangiocarcinoma

Leukemia

Cannabis Partially/Fully Induced Cancer Death

Translocation-positive Rhabdomyosarcoma

Lymphoma

Cannabis Kills Cancer Cells

Melanoma

Thyroid Carcinoma

Colon Cancer

Intestinal Inflammation And Cancer

Cannabinoids In Health And Disease

Cannabis Inhibits Cancer Cell Invasion

• Like 1

16 hours ago, diatoms said:

but I attribute it to

Organic

and

it keeps me Healthy

This works for me

and I always say

"I" or "Me"

Peer-reviewed research about the Health Benefits

of

Coconut Oil

promting

apoptosis in cancer cells:)

Abstract

The saturated medium-chain fatty-acid lauric acid (LA) has been associated to certain health-promoting benefits of coconut oil intake, including the improvement of the quality of life in breast cancer patients during chemotherapy. As it concerns the potential to hamper tumor growth, LA was shown to elicit inhibitory effects only in colon cancer cells. Here, we provide novel insights regarding the molecular mechanisms through which LA triggers antiproliferative and pro-apoptotic effects in both breast and endometrial cancer cells. In particular, our results demonstrate that LA increases reactive oxygen species levels, stimulates the phosphorylation of EGFR, ERK and c-Jun and induces the expression of c-fos. In addition, our data evidence that LA via the Rho-associated kinase-mediated pathway promotes stress fiber formation, which exerts a main role in the morphological changes associated with apoptotic cell death. Next, we found that the increase of p21Cip1/WAF1 expression, which occurs upon LA exposure in a p53-independent manner, is involved in the apoptotic effects prompted by LA in both breast and endometrial cancer cells. Collectively, our findings may pave the way to better understand the anticancer action of LA, although additional studies are warranted to further corroborate its usefulness in more comprehensive therapeutic approaches.

Introduction

Fatty acids are acyclic carboxylic acids with aliphatic tails of different lengths. Based on their carbon atom chain length, fatty acids are classified into the following three groups: short-chain fatty acids with <6 carbon atoms, medium-chain fatty acids (MCFA) and long-chain fatty acids that contain 6–12 carbons and >12 carbons, respectively.1 Fatty acids are major components of triacylglycerols, phospholipids and other complex lipids, therefore representing main contributors to dietary fat in humans.2 Plant oils like palm, coconut and olive oils, nuts, seeds and seed oils, cocoa butter and animal-derived fats as lard, tallow and butter, are rich of fatty acids that are important components of cell membranes and essential sources of energy.2 Previous studies have demonstrated that fatty acids are also involved in diverse transduction pathways, in gene transcription and relevant biological events as cell metabolism, inflammation, apoptosis and production of bioactive lipid mediators, thus contributing to multiple patho-physiological responses.27

Lauric acid (LA), which is a saturated MCFA with 12 carbon atoms and the primary fatty acid of coconut oil, has been associated with certain health benefits of coconut oil intake.810 LA is also contained in plant oils, fruits, seeds and in breast milk.11,12 LA has been shown to elicit diverse actions in various tissues, including a potent antimicrobial property.8 For instance, LA and the derivative monolaurin were reported to destroy cell membranes of gram-positive bacteria and lipid-coated viruses, to interfere with main cellular responses as the activation of transduction cascades and gene transcription, to stabilize cell membranes toward the prevention of bacterial resistance.8 In addition, LA promoted inflammatory processes activating the nuclear factor-κB transcription factor as well as stimulating the expression of cyclooxygenase-2 and pro-inflammatory cytokines.13 LA was also associated with beneficial effects on the cardiovascular system due to its ability to increase the high-density lipoproteins14 and to reduce the blood pressure and heart rate in both normotensive and hypertensive rats.15 Moreover, LA prevented the prostatic hyperplasia induced by testosterone in rats,16 triggered apoptosis in colon cancer cells through oxidative stress17 and improved the sensitization of the EGFR inhibitor cetuximab in KRAS/BRAF mutated colorectal cancer cells.18 It is worth mentioning that the consumption of virgin coconut oil during chemotherapy improved the global quality of life in patients with breast cancer.19

Here, we show for the first time that LA elicits antiproliferative and pro-apoptotic effects in breast and endometrial cancer cells promoting the generation of reactive oxygen species (ROS), the activation of transduction pathways and gene expression changes. In particular, the upregulation of the cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor p21Cip1/WAF1 upon LA exposure was found to be required for its anticancer properties. Our findings shed new light on the molecular mechanisms through which LA induces antiproliferative and pro-apoptotic responses in both breast and endometrial cancer cells toward its usefulness in more comprehensive therapeutic approaches.

Results

LA inhibits cancer cell viability

On the basis of previous findings showing that MCFAs may elicit apoptosis in certain cancer cells17,20 and considering that in our recent investigation LA exerted antiproliferative activity in diverse types of tumor cells,21 we began the present study evaluating whether LA (Figure 1a) and a further MCFA namely capric acid (CA) (Figure 1b) may affect the viability of SkBr3 breast and Ishikawa endometrial cancer cells, which were used as model system. Only LA inhibited the viability of both cancer cell types (Figures 1c and d) without altering the growth of MCF-10A normal breast epithelial cells (Figure 1e), thus suggesting its specific potential to trigger antiproliferative effects in malignant cells.

Figure 1

Lauric acid inhibits the proliferation of breast and endometrial cancer cells. (a, b) Chemical structures of lauric acid (LA) and capric acid (CA). (bd) MTT growth assays in SkBr3 (c), Ishikawa (d) and MCF-10A (e) cells treated for 48 h with vehicle (−) or increasing concentrations of LA and CA, as indicated. Cell viability is expressed as the percentage of cells upon treatments respect to cells treated with vehicle. Values shown are mean±S.D. of three independent experiments performed in triplicate. () indicates P<0.05 for cells receiving vehicle versus treatments.

2013;59(3):214-24.
doi: 10.1159/000356067. Epub 2013 Dec 13.

Induction of apoptosis by the medium-chain length fatty acid lauric acid in colon cancer cells due to induction of oxidative stress

Abstract

Background: Fatty acids are classified as short-chain (SCFA), medium-chain (MCFA) or long-chain and hold promise as adjunctive chemotherapeutic agents for the treatment of colorectal cancer. The antineoplastic potential of MCFA remains underexplored; accordingly, we compared the MCFA lauric acid (C12:0) to the SCFA butyrate (C4:0) in terms of their capacity to induce apoptosis, modify glutathione (GSH) levels, generate reactive oxygen species (ROS), and modify phases of the cell cycle in Caco-2 and IEC-6 intestinal cell lines.

Methods: Caco-2 and IEC-6 cells were treated with lauric acid, butyrate, or vehicle controls. Apoptosis, ROS, and cell cycle analysis were determined by flow cytometry. GSH availability was assessed by enzymology.

Results: Lauric acid induced apoptosis in Caco-2 (p < 0.05) and IEC-6 cells (p < 0.05) compared to butyrate. In Caco-2 cells, lauric acid reduced GSH availability and generated ROS compared to butyrate (p < 0.05). Lauric acid reduced Caco-2 and IEC-6 cells in G0/G1and arrested cells in the S and G2/M phases. Lauric acid induced apoptosis in IEC-6 cells compared to butyrate (p < 0.05). Butyrate protected IEC-6 cells from ROS-induced damage, whereas lauric acid induced high levels of ROS compared to butyrate.

Conclusion: Compared to butyrate, lauric acid displayed preferential antineoplastic properties, including induction of apoptosis in a CRC cell line.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/278329978_Apoptosis_in_lung_cancer_cells_induced_by_virgin_cocnut_oil

Apoptosis in lung cancer cells induced by virgin cocnut oil

Article (PDF Available) · June 2015with 2,050 Reads 

Badrul Yahaya  Siti Amrah Sulaiman  Rahimi M Yusop

Abstract
Introduction: National Cancer Statistics reported that lung cancer listed as third highest among most prevalent cancer in Malaysia. Objectives: In this study, the possibility of using virgin coconut oil (VCO) as new potential anti-apoptosis agent to combat this cancer was evaluated. Experimental design: Two lung cancer cell lines were exposed to series of concentration of virgin coconut oil for 72 hrs. Upon treatment, the morphological changes of the cancer cells were observed. The apoptosis assay using Annexin V- FITC kit was also carried out. Results: We found that VCO at IC50 value of 12.04% (v/v) and 8.64% (v/v) induced apoptosis in NCI-H1299 and A549 lung cancer cell lines, respectively, with 3.57% and 4.20% of the apoptotic cells following treatment. Morphological changes, such as the appearance of massive cytoplasmic vacuolization and blebbing of the cell membrane, were observed in both cell lines after treatment with VCO. When tested on skin-derived fibroblasts, VCO at the IC50 values for both cell types was negative for toxicity. Conclusions: These results suggest that VCO can induce cell death of lung cancer cells and safe to be consumed.

2011 Apr 15;11(8):724-31.doi: 10.4161/cbt.11.8.15281. Epub 2011 Apr 15.

Fatty acids as potential adjunctive colorectal chemotherapeutic agents

Abstract

Fatty acids (FA) are bioactive molecules which have potential as adjunctive chemotherapeutic agents. FA are classified as short-, medium; or long-chain on the basis of the number of carbon atoms in the aliphatic chain and have been reported to induce apoptosis in vitro in a range of cancer cell types, including breast, tongue, cervix and colorectal. However, to date the chain length exerting optimal anti-neoplastic properties remains undefined. Short chain fatty acids, such as butyrate (C4:0), have induced high rates of in vitro apoptosis, presumably related to epigenetic modification, cell cycle arrest and activation of pro-apoptotic genes. Medium chain fatty acids have demonstrated in vivo and in vitro cytotoxic and anti-microbial properties; however, scant evidence currently exists on their anti-neoplastic potential. Longer unsaturated fatty acids (C16-24: ω3-9), including conjugated linoleic acid and eicosapentaenoic acid, also exhibit in vitro anti-proliferative actions, including induction of oxidative stress and modification of intracellular signalling pathways. Although incorporation of FA into CRC chemotherapy regimens is in its infancy, evidence is accumulating to allow identification of the FA chain length capable of exerting the most effective anti-neoplastic activity.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32602684/

Coconut Oil and Immunity: What do we really know about it so far?

Affiliations

Affiliations

• 1 Dean, Indian College of Physicians; Consultant Endocrinologist, Lilavati Hospital and Research Centre and Bhatia Hospital, Mumbai, Maharashtra.
  • 2 Research and Development Centre, Marico Limited, Mumbai, Maharashtra.
  • PMID: 32602684

Abstract

Coconut oil as health oil was recognized in Ayurvedic medicine almost 4000 years ago. The same health effects were also attributed to the mother's milk in ancient literature. Modern research has now found a common link between these two natural health products - their lipid content. The medium chain fatty acids and monoglycerides found primarily in coconut oil have miraculous healing power which act as natural antibiotic and also help modulate immunity. The information discussed in this review explains that coconut oil, either topically applied or ingested, gets broken down to release Lauric Acid and Monolaurin - known anti-microbial agents. The studies reported in literature are discussed to evaluate the antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal benefits of coconut oil. Not only does coconut oil metabolites have antimicrobial activity but also these remarkable derivatives have been shown not to cause resistance organisms to appear. The anti-microbial mechanistic action also helps activate the antiinflammatory nature of the immune response in human body. In vitro, animal, and human studies support the potential of coconut oil as effective and safe immune-nutritive active. New and exciting health and industrial uses of coconut oil and its derivative are possible. Never before in recent times has the recognition of the positive health effects of coconut oil been stronger. And never before in the history of man is it so important to emphasize both need and efficacy of natural products known for their safety proposition. Immunity has been a buzzword in the current scenario and the demand for modulating immunity with natural means has been so unprecedented and so ubiquitous. Coconut oil and its value added forms can contribute to a more vigorous and healthy future.

© Journal of the Association of Physicians of India 2011.

Numerous scientific studies

about the Health benefits of

Coconut oil

form https://coconutoil.com/peer_reviewed/

Coconut Oil

Coconut Oil and Immunity: What Do We Really Know About It So Far?
Journal of The Association of Physicians in India. 2020 Jul;68(7):67-72.

Potential of coconut oil and medium chain triglycerides in the prevention and treatment of Alzheimer’s disease
Mechanisms of Ageing and Development. Volume 186, March 2020, 111209

Coconut oil protects against light-induced retina degeneration in male Wistar rats
Pathophysiology. March 2019 Volume 26, Issue 1, Pages 89–95

Coconut oil consumption improves fat-free mass, plasma HDL-cholesterol and insulin sensitivity in healthy men with normal BMI compared to peanut oil.
Clin Nutr. 2018 Dec 29.

Improvement of Main Cognitive Functions in Patients with Alzheimer’s Disease after Treatment with Coconut Oil Enriched Mediterranean Diet: A Pilot Study.
J Alzheimers Dis. 2018

Effects of natural products on several stages of the spore cycle of Clostridium difficile in vitro.
J Appl Microbiol. 2018 Apr 19

Comparative Evaluation of Antiplaque Efficacy of Coconut Oil Pulling and a Placebo, Among Dental College Students: A Randomized Controlled Trial.
J Clin Diagn Res. 2017 Sep

Coconut phytocompounds inhibits polyol pathway enzymes: Implication in prevention of microvascular diabetic complications
Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 2017 Dec

The Effect of Coconut Oil pulling on Streptococcus mutans Count in Saliva in Comparison with Chlorhexidine Mouthwash.
J Contemp Dent Pract. 2016 Jan

COCONUT OIL: NON-ALTERNATIVE DRUG TREATMENT AGAINST ALZHEIMER´S DISEASE
Nutr Hosp. 2015 Dec 1

An ecological study for Sri Lanka about health effects of coconut.
Ceylon Med J. 2015 Sept

Aluminum phosphide poisoning: Possible role of supportive measures in the absence of specific antidote
Indian J Crit Care Med. 2015 Feb; 19

Coconut Oil Attenuates the Effects of Amyloid-β on Cortical Neurons In Vitro.
J Alzheimers Dis. 2013 Oct 22.

Coconut Oil Enhances Tomato Carotenoid Tissue Accumulation Compared to Safflower Oil in the Mongolian Gerbil ( Meriones unguiculatus ).
J Agric Food Chem. 2012 Aug 16.

Dietary Conjugated Linoleic Acid Induces Lipolysis in Adipose Tissue of Coconut Oil-Fed Mice but not Soy Oil-Fed Mice.
Lipids. 2011 Jun 4

Dietary fatty acids and oxidative stress in the heart mitochondria.
Mitochondrion. 2010 Aug 5.

Effects of Dietary Coconut Oil on the Biochemical and Anthropometric Profiles of Women Presenting Abdominal Obesity
Lipids. 2009 May 13.

In vitro antimicrobial properties of coconut oil on Candida species in Ibadan, Nigeria.
J Med Food. 2007 Jun;10(2):384-7.

Clin Biochem. 2004 Sep;37(9):830-5.

A diet rich in coconut oil reduces diurnal postprandial variations in circulating tissue plasminogen activator antigen and fasting lipoprotein (a) compared with a diet rich in unsaturated fat in women.
J Nutr. 2003 Nov;133(11):3422-7.

COCONUT OIL: Atherogenic or Not?
(What therefore causes Atherosclerosis?)

By Conrado S. Dayrit, MD. FACC. FPCC. FPCP

Philippine Journal Of CARDIOLOGY
July-September 2003, Volume 31 Number 3:97-104

Dietary coconut oil increases conjugated linoleic acid-induced body fat loss in mice independent of essential fatty acid deficiency.
 Biochim Biophys Acta. 2005 Oct 15;1737(1):52-60. Epub 2005 Sep 13.

Successful treatment of acute aluminium phosphide poisoning: possible benefit of coconut oil.
Hum Exp Toxicol. 2005 Apr;24(4):215-8.

Cholesterol, coconuts, and diet on Polynesian atolls: a natural experiment: the Pukapuka and Tokelau island studies.
Am J Clin Nutr 1981 Aug;34(8):1552-61

Choice of cooking oils–myths and realities.
J Indian Med Assoc 1998 Oct;96(10):304-7

The role of coconut and coconut oil in coronary heart disease in Kerala, south India.
Trop Doct. 1997 Oct;27(4):215-7.

Coconut oil compound may treat STDs
AIDS Patient Care STDS 1999 Sep;13(9):572

Chirurg 2002 Apr;73(4):387-92
Coconut oil used in Indonesia for treatment of wounds and to preserve medicinal herbs

Energy restriction with high-fat diet enriched with coconut oil gives higher UCP1 and lower white fat in rats.
Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 1998 Oct;22(10):974-9.

Intestinal adaptation in short bowel syndrome without tube feeding or home parenteral nutrition: report of four consecutive cases.
Nutrition. 1998 Jun;14(6):508-12.

Virgin Coconut Oil

The protective role of virgin coconut oil on the alloxan-induced oxidative stress in the liver, kidneys and heart of diabetic rats.
Food Funct. 2019 Mar 28.

Virgin coconut oil is effective to treat metabolic and inflammatory dysfunction induced by high refined carbohydrate-containing diet in mice.
The Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry Volume 63, January 2019

Beneficial Effect of Virgin Coconut Oil on Alloxan-Induced Diabetes and Microbiota Composition in Rats.
Plant Foods Hum Nutr. 2018 Dec

Virgin coconut oil (VCO) by normalizing NLRP3 inflammasome showed potential neuroprotective effects in Amyloid-β induced toxicity and high-fat diet fed rat
Food Chem Toxicol. 2018 May 2

Virgin coconut oil extract mitigates testicular-induced toxicity of alcohol use in antiretroviral therapy.
Andrology. 2018 Apr 14

Polyphenols isolated from virgin coconut oil attenuate cadmium-induced dyslipidemia and oxidative stress due to their antioxidant properties and potential benefits on cardiovascular risk ratios in rats
Avicenna J Phytomed. 2018 Jan-Feb

Antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects of virgin coconut oil supplementation abrogate acute chemotherapy oxidative nephrotoxicity induced by anticancer drug methotrexate in rats.
Biomed Pharmacother. 2017 Dec 7

Repeatedly heated palm kernel oil induces hyperlipidemia, atherogenic indices and hepatorenal toxicity in rats: Beneficial role of virgin coconut oil supplementation
Acta Sci Pol Technol Aliment. 2017 Oct-Dec

Angiogenic and wound healing potency of fermented virgin coconut oil: in vitro and in vivo studies.
Am J Transl Res. 2017 Nov 15

Dietary Supplementation with Virgin Coconut Oil Improves Lipid Profile and Hepatic Antioxidant Status and Has Potential Benefits on Cardiovascular Risk Indices in Normal Rats
Journal of Dietary Supplements. 2017 Aug 17

Virgin coconut oil supplementation attenuates acute chemotherapy hepatotoxicity induced by anticancer drug methotrexate via inhibition of oxidative stress in rats.
Biomed Pharmacother. 2017 Jan 6

Anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effect of Kerabala: a value-added ayurvedic formulation from virgin coconut oil inhibits pathogenesis in adjuvant-induced arthritis.
Inflammopharmacology. 2016 Nov 22.

Renoprotective effect of virgin coconut oil in heated palm oil diet-induced hypertensive rats.
Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2016 Oct

Virgin coconut oil maintains redox status and improves glycemic conditions in high fructose fed rats.
J Food Sci Technol. 2016 Jan

Polyphenolics isolated from virgin coconut oil inhibits adjuvant induced arthritis in rats through antioxidant and anti-inflammatory action.
Int Immunopharmacol. 2014 Mar 5

Effect of virgin coconut oil enriched diet on the antioxidant status and paraoxonase 1 activity in ameliorating the oxidative stress in rats – a comparative study.
Food Funct. 2013 Jul 29

Virgin coconut oil improves hepatic lipid metabolism in rats–compared with copra oil, olive oil and sunflower oil.
Indian J Exp Biol. 2012 Nov;50(11):802-9.

Virgin coconut oil supplementation prevents bone loss in osteoporosis rat model
Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2012;2012:237236. Epub 2012 Sep 16.

An open-label pilot study to assess the efficacy and safety of virgin coconut oil in reducing visceral adiposity.
ISRN Pharmacol. 2011;2011:949686. Epub 2011 Mar 15.

In vivo Antinociceptive and Anti-inflammatory Activities of Dried and Fermented Processed Virgin Coconut Oil 
Med Princ Pract. 2011;20(3):231-6. Epub 2011 Mar 29.

Hepatoprotective Activity of Dried- and Fermented-Processed Virgin Coconut Oil
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 142739

Anti-inflammatory, analgesic, and antipyretic activities of virgin coconut oil.
Pharm Biol. 2010 Feb;48(2):151-7.

Wet and dry extraction of coconut oil: impact on lipid metabolic and antioxidant status in cholesterol coadministered rats.
Can J Physiol Pharmacol. 2009 Aug;87(8):610-6.

Antioxidant capacity and phenolic acids of virgin coconut oil.
Int J Food Sci Nutr. 2009;60 Suppl 2:114-23. Epub 2008 Dec 27.

Clin Biochem. 2004 Sep;37(9):830-5.

Coconut Oil and Skin

Effect of Virgin Coconut Oil Application on the Skin of Preterm Newborns: A Randomized Controlled Trial.
J Trop Pediatr. 2019 Jun 29.

Dietary coconut oil ameliorates skin contact hypersensitivity through mead acid production in mice.
Allergy. 2019 Mar 6.

In vitro anti-inflammatory and skin protective properties of Virgin coconut oil
J Tradit Complement Med. 2019 Jan

The effect of topical virgin coconut oil on SCORAD index, transepidermal water loss, and skin capacitance in mild to moderate pediatric atopic dermatitis: a randomized, double-blind, clinical trial.
Int J Dermatol. 2013 Dec 10.

Development and Anti-microbial Potential of Topical Formulations Containing Cocos nucifera Linn.
Antiinflamm Antiallergy Agents Med Chem. 2013 Jun 4

Effect of topical application of virgin coconut oil on skin components and antioxidant status during dermal wound healing in young rats.
Skin Pharmacol Physiol. 2010;23(6):290-7. Epub 2010 Jun 3.

Antimicrobial Property of Lauric Acid Against Propionibacterium Acnes: Its Therapeutic Potential for Inflammatory Acne Vulgaris.
J Invest Dermatol. 2009 Apr 23

Novel antibacterial and emollient effects of coconut and virgin olive oils in adult atopic dermatitis.
Dermatitis. 2008 Nov-Dec

Oil massage in neonates: an open randomized controlled study of coconut versus mineral oil.
Indian Pediatr. 2005 Sep;42(9):877-84.

Uptake of vitamin E succinate by the skin, conversion to free vitamin E, and transport to internal organs.
Biochem Mol Biol Int. 1999 Mar;47(3):509-18.

Coconut Oil and Hair

Clinical trial showing superiority of a coconut and anise spray over permethrin 0.43% lotion for head louse infestation
Eur J Pediatr. 2010 Jan;169(1):55-62.

Effect of mineral oil, sunflower oil, and coconut oil on prevention of hair damage.
J Cosmet Sci. 2003 Mar-Apr;54(2):175-92

Secondary ion mass spectrometric investigation of penetration of coconut and mineral oils into human hair fibers: Relevance to hair damage
J Cosmet. Sci., 52, 169-184 (May/June 2001)

Lauric Acid/Monolaurin

Laurine fatty acids, medium fatty acids and triglycerides, hyperlipidemia, resistance to insulin, prevention of atherosclerosis and ateromatosis.
Klin Lab Diagn. 2019;64(2):68-77.

Lauric Acid Alleviates Neuroinflammatory Responses by Activated Microglia: Involvement of the GPR40-Dependent Pathway.
Neurochem Res. 2018 Jun 26.

Cell Death Discovery, 2017 Sep 18

Acute Treatment with Lauric Acid Reduces Blood Pressure and Oxidative Stress in Spontaneously Hypertensive Rats.
Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol. 2016 Nov 7

In Vitro Anti-Propionibacterium Activity by Curcumin Containing
Vesicle System

“Our results highlight the potential of using vehicles containing lauric acid and curcumin as an alternative treatment for acne vulgaris.”
Chemical and Pharmaceutical Bulletin (Tokyo). 2013;61(4):419-25.

Effect of saturated fatty acid-rich dietary vegetable oils on lipid profile, antioxidant enzymes and glucose tolerance in diabetic rats.
Indian J Pharmacol. 2010 Jun;42(3):142-5.

Glycerol monolaurate inhibits Candida and Gardnerella vaginalis in vitro and in vivo but not Lactobacillus. 
Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2010 Feb;54(2):597-601

Antibacterial study of the medium chain fatty acids and their 1-monoglycerides: individual effects and synergistic relationships. 
Pol J Microbiol. 2009;58(1):43-7.

Glycerol monolaurate prevents mucosal SIV transmission. 
Nature. 2009 Apr 23;458(7241):1034-8.

Antimicrobial activity of potassium hydroxide and lauric acid against microorganisms associated with poultry processing.
J Food Prot. 2006 Jul;69(7):1611-5.

Effect of fatty acid chain length on suppression of ghrelin and stimulation of PYY, GLP-2 and PP secretion in healthy men.
Peptides. 2006 Jul;27(7):1638-43. Epub 2006 Mar 23.

Glycerol monolaurate inhibits virulence factor production in Bacillus anthracis. 
Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2005 Apr;49(4):1302-5.

Consumption of a Solid Fat Rich in Lauric Acid Results in a More Favorable Serum Lipid Profile in Healthy Men and Women than Consumption of a Solid Fat Rich in trans-Fatty Acids
Journal of Nutrition. 2001;131:242-245

Effect of fatty acids on arenavirus replication: inhibition of virus production by lauric acid
Arch Virol 2001;146(4):777-90

Lauric acid inhibits the maturation of vesicular stomatitis virus.
J Gen Virol. 1994 Feb;75 ( Pt 2):353-61.

MCTs (Medium Chain Triglycerides)

Contrasting metabolic effects of medium- versus long-chain fatty acids in skeletal muscle.
J Lipid Res. 2013 Dec;54(12)

Anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties of capric acid against Propionibacterium acnes: A comparative study with lauric acid.
J Dermatol Sci. 2013 Nov 7. pii: S0923-1811

Medium-chain Triglyceride Ketogenic Diet, An Effective Treatment for Drug-resistant Epilepsy and A Comparison with Other Ketogenic Diets.
Biomed J. 2013 Jan;36(1):9-15

Inhibition of Candida mycelia growth by a medium chain fatty acids, capric acid in vitoro and its therapeutic efficacy in murine oral candidiasis
Med Mycol J. 2012;53(4):255-61.

Caprylic Triglyceride as a Novel Therapeutic Approach to Effectively Improve the Performance and Attenuate the Symptoms Due to the Motor Neuron Loss in ALS Disease
PLoS ONE 7(11): e49191. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0049191 (2012)

Combined medium-chain triglyceride and chilli feeding increases diet-induced thermogenesis in normal-weight humans.
Eur J Nutr. 2012 Nov 20.

Sophorolipid production by Candida bombicola on oils with a special fatty acid composition and their consequences on cell viability.
Biotechnol Lett. 2010 Oct;32(10):1509-14

Enhancement of muscle mitochondrial oxidative capacity and alterations in insulin action are lipid species dependent: potent tissue-specific effects of medium-chain fatty acids.
Diabetes. 2010 May;59(5):1283.

Medium-chain fatty acids improve cognitive function in intensively treated type 1 diabetic patients and support in vitro synaptic transmission during acute hypoglycemia.
 Diabetes. 2009 May;58(5):1237-44.

Effect of ingestion of medium-chain triacylglycerols on moderate- and high-intensity exercise in recreational athletes.
 J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo). 2009 Apr;55(2):120-5.

Partial replacement of dietary (n-6) fatty acids with medium-chain triglycerides decreases the incidence of spontaneous colitis in interleukin-10-deficient mice.
J Nutr. 2009 Mar;139(3):603-10.

Effects of beta-hydroxybutyrate on cognition in memory-impaired adults. (Applies to Alzheimer’s)
Neurobiol Aging. 2004 Mar;25(3):311-4.

Consumption of an oil composed of medium chain triacyglycerols, phytosterols, and N-3 fatty acids improves cardiovascular risk profile in overweight women.
Metabolism. 2003 Jun;52(6):771-7.

Medium-Chain Oil Reduces Fat Mass and Down-regulates Expression of Adipogenic Genes in Rats.
Obes Res. 2003 Jun;11(6):734-44.

An enteral therapy containing medium-chain triglycerides and hydrolyzed peptides reduces postprandial pain associated with chronic pancreatitis.
Pancreatology. 2003;3(1):36-40.

Medium-chain triglycerides increase energy expenditure and decrease adiposity in overweight men.
Obes Res. 2003 Mar;11(3):395-402.

Larger diet-induced thermogenesis and less body fat accumulation in rats fed medium-chain triacylglycerols than in those fed long-chain triacylglycerols.
J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo). 2002 Dec;48(6):524-9.

Comparison of diet-induced thermogenesis of foods containing medium- versus long-chain triacylglycerols.
J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo). 2002 Dec;48(6):536-40.

Enteral nutrition in Crohn’s disease: fat in the formula.
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2003 Feb;15(2):115-8.

The influence of a preserved colon on the absorption of medium chain fat in patients with small bowel resection.
Gut. 1998 Oct;43(4):478-83.

Effects of intravenous supplementation with alpha-tocopherol in patients receiving total parenteral nutrition containing medium- and long-chain triglycerides
Eur J Clin Nutr 2002 Feb;56(2):121-8

Killing of Gram-positive cocci by fatty acids and monoglycerides
APMIS 2001 Oct;109(10):670-8

Physiological effects of medium-chain triglycerides: potential agents in the prevention of obesity.
J Nutr 2002 Mar;132(3):329-32

Value of VLCD supplementation with medium chain triglycerides
Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 2001 Sep;25(9):1393-400

In vitro killing of Candida albicans by fatty acids and monoglycerides.
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2001 Nov;45(11):3209-12

Decreased fat and nitrogen losses in patients with AIDS receiving medium-chain-triglyceride-enriched formula vs those receiving long-chain-triglyceride-containing formula.
Am Diet Assoc. 1997 Jun;97(6):605-11

Effects of different lipid sources in total parenteral nutrition on whole body protein kinetics and tumor growth.
JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 1992 Nov-Dec;16(6):545-51

Enhanced thermogenesis and diminished deposition of fat in response to overfeeding with diet containing medium chain triglyceride.
Am J Clin Nutr. 1982 Apr;35(4):678-82

Thermogenesis in humans during overfeeding with medium-chain triglycerides.
Metabolism. 1989 Jul;38(7):641-8

13 hours ago, diatoms said:

Over 100 Scientific Studies Agree: Cannabis Kills Cancer Cells

by DailyHealthPost EditorialJanuary 16, 2020

The healing properties of cannabis are nothing new. In ancient India, cannabis was used to treat ailments such as insomnia and pain. The Greeks used it to cure ailments such as nosebleeds and tapeworms. In Medieval Islam, history shows cannabis used as a diuretic, antiemetic, and antiepileptic (1).

Even in the West, cannabis was the primary pain reliever prescribed by doctors until Aspirin took its place in 1897. Up until the “war on drugs” began around 1937, there were at least 2000 different cannabis-based medicines on the market (2).

Today, the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) still labels cannabis a Schedule I drug in many states because “it has a high potential for abuse and the potential to create severe psychological and/or physical dependence.” (3).

With the advent of the medical marijuana movement in the US, however, more studies are being funded to determine the actual healing potential of this herb.

Cannabis and Cancer

Despite the onslaught of negative warnings about cannabis, most of which are likely linked to or generated by drug companies that stand to lose billions on dangerous cancer drugs should cannabis be recognized as an effective natural alternative, there are countless cannabis cancer studies proving the herb’s powerful anti-cancer properties.

The National Cancer Institute, mandated by US law to educate Americans about cancer and the latest research efforts, even shows that cannabis does, in fact, kill cancer cells (4).

The organization admits that the cannabinoids in cannabis inhibits tumor growth by causing cells to die, blocking cell growth, and blocking the development of the blood vessels tumors rely on for growth.

It also reveals that cannabis is effective for dealing with a variety of cancer-related symptoms such as nausea, loss of appetite, anxiety, pain and sleep disturbances.

One 2013 study shows cannabidiol (CBD) has very powerful anti-cancer agents, which is important because researchers also determined that some cancerous cells are actually more sensitive to CBD-induced apoptosis (cell death) (5).

There are also numerous studies on the tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) in cannabis, which reveal it is responsible for a multitude of healing properties, including powerful anti-cancer properties.

One study specifically shows THC is effective for brain cancer, a particularly aggressive and typically terminal form of cancer (6).

The number and types of cancers cannabis is shown to treat is truly astounding, especially when you consider the ongoing fight proponents for the herb face daily simply to have it recognized as a therapeutic agent.

Cannabis Cancer Studies

Cannabis’ medical properties really shouldn’t be ignored.

Breast Cancer

Breast-Cancer---600x315.jpg

According to Breast Cancer.Org, approximately 246,660 women will develop invasive breast cancer in 2016 and another 61,000 will have the non-invasive (in situ) form (7).

Most of these women will choose conventional medicine like surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation to combat the disease, therapies that are highly invasive and even toxic (8).

Proven natural and holistic therapies are typically ignored despite studies that show cannabis, a far less invasive and toxic alternative can actually slow metastatic breast cancer.

One study published in Molecular Cancer Therapeutics shows that cannabidiol (CBD) is not only non-toxic, but it can actually decrease the aggressiveness of this very deadly form of cancer (9).

Other studies also confirm the findings; one study even concluding that CBD not only reduces the primary tumor mass, but it shrinks the size and number of metastatic cancer cells (10).

Another study published in Cancer Treatment Reviews shows that CBD hampers tumor growth, angiogenesis, and metastasis and as such, offers new hope as a non-toxic breast cancer therapy (11).

Another study published in the journal PLoS One concludes that CBD can be useful “…for developing innovative therapeutic strategies against breast cancer.” (12).

Prostate Cancer

Prostate-Cancer---600x315.jpg

Studies show prostate tissue possesses cannabinoid receptors that have an anti-androgenic effect when stimulated (13). This research is vital for new cancer therapies since we already know prostate cancer cells need androgens (male sex hormones) to grow.

Currently, conventional medicine uses Androgen Deprivation Therapy (ADT), a widely used cancer protocol for men with prostate cancer. This therapy deprives prostate cells of androgen, thus inhibiting further development.

Doctors typical achieve this goal in one of two ways:

1. Surgical removal of one or both testicles (orchiectomy), which prevents further testosterone production. While this treatment is extreme, it does reduce the level of testosterone by 90-95 percent.  This procedure is also irreversible, however, so it is rarely used.

2. Medication, which is the typical treatment of choice if a man chooses to explore ADT (14).

There is plenty of evidence showing that using ADT for prostate cancer confined to the prostate offers no demonstrated survival advantage, and in fact, causes significant harm such as impotence, diabetes, and bone loss. Despite this, 80 percent of American doctors still provide ADT to their patients with localized prostate cancer (15).

There is another option, however, and that is cannabis. Serval studies show that the endocannabinoids in cannabis are a beneficial option for the treatment of prostate cancer, especially cancer that is nonresponsive to common therapies (16).

Colon Cancer

Colon-Cancer---600x315.jpg

When it comes to colon cancer, one study published in Pharmacological Research concludes that cannabinoids have anti-proliferative, anti-metastatic, and apoptotic effects on cancer cells and even promote wound healing. Researchers show that cannabinoids even have protective effects on “intestinal inflammation and colon cancer.” (17)

Other studies on cannabis and colon cancer show that CBD can significantly “control colon cancer proliferation.” (18)

Leukemia

Leukemia---600x315.jpg

According to the American Cancer Society, “Two recently identified types of acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL) are extremely difficult to treat with existing drugs.” (19).

Studies on cannabis, however, show the herb can induce cytotoxicity in leukemia cell lines: “We have shown that THC is a potent inducer of apoptosis, even at 1 x IC (50) (inhibitory concentration 50%) concentrations and as early as 6 hours after exposure to the drug. These effects were seen in leukemic cell lines (CEM, HEL-92, and HL60) as well as in peripheral blood mononuclear cells.” (20)

Another study from 2006 also concludes that cannabidiol can dramatically induce cell death in leukemia cells. Researchers of this study claim that cannabidiol may actually be a new and highly selective treatment for leukemia (21).

Other studies show that cannabinoids not only inhibit the growth of a broad spectrum of tumor cells but that they are effective agents to trigger apoptosis in human leukemia cells (22).

A previous 2003 study published in Leukemia and Lymphoma also concludes that two non-psychotropic cannabinoids, cannabidiol (CBD) and cannabidiol-dimethylheptyl (CBD-DMH) will induce apoptosis in a human acute myeloid leukemia (AML)  (23).

Cervical Cancer

Cervical-Cancer---600x315.jpg

Estimates show 4,120 women will die from cervical cancer this year (24). While the 5-year survival rate is 68 percent, if cancer spreads to a distant part of the body, this rate drops to only 17 percent.

Most women with uterine cancer have surgery to remove their uterus (hysterectomy) and as well, often both fallopian tubes and ovaries. This is a non-reversible, highly invasive treatment.

Post-surgery, doctors also often recommend radiation, chemotherapy, hormone therapy or a combination of the three for more aggressive forms of endometrial and metastatic cancer (25).

Studies on cannabis and cervical cancer cells clearly show that cannabidiol extracts can prevent cell growth and induce cell death in cervical cancer cell lines.

A 2016 study, published in the BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, further shows that “both cannabidiol and cannabis sativa extracts were able to halt cell proliferation in all cell lines at varying concentrations.” (26)

Melanoma

Melanoma---600x315.jpg

Melanoma is the leading cause of death from skin diseases and it can easily spread deep into your skin and quickly metastasize to other tissues in your body.

Currently, there are few options for treatment beyond prevention and early detection. If diagnosed and treated early, when tumors are still thin and not deeply rooted in the skin, surgery is still an option. If missed, however, a melanoma will continue to divide under the skin’s surface and invade healthy tissue.

This type of malignant melanocyte tends to grow downward instead of horizontally, so it becomes thick and deep and the disease easily invades your lymphatic system where it becomes hard to control as it spreads to other parts of your body (27).

Even with intensive research, prevention and early detection are still the only effective measures against melanoma. As such, new therapeutic strategies are vital for the management of this devastating disease.

One such treatment is cannabis according to a study published in the FASEB Journal, which shows cannabinoids encourages cancer cell death while decreasing growth, proliferation, and metastasis of melanoma cells (28).

Other studies show that cannabinoids are also effective for non-melanoma skin cancers. Specifically, cannabinoid-treated tumors show an increased number of apoptotic cells.

Researchers conclude the results “support a new therapeutic approach for the treatment of skin tumors.” (29)

According to other research published in the Journal of Clinical Investigation: “Local administration of [cannabinoids] induced a considerable growth inhibition of malignant tumors generated by inoculation of epidermal tumor cells into nude mice. Cannabinoid-treated tumors showed an increased number of apoptotic cells. This was accompanied by impairment of tumor vascularization, as determined by altered blood vessel morphology and decreased expression of proangiogenic factors (VEGF, placental growth factor, and angiopoietin 2). … These results support a new therapeutic approach for the treatment of skin tumors.” (30)

Immunity

Immunity---600x315.jpg

One of the complications of cancer is a compromised immune system, which results in cancer patients falling victim to an array of other diseases.

Research published in the paper Prostaglandins, Leukotrienes and Essential Fatty Acids shows that cannabis is a viable alternative for these people.

The study shows that cannabinoid compounds play a key role in “modulating the immune system to improve the outcome of a cancer diagnosis.”

Researchers suggest there is significant “therapeutic potential of these compounds in immune disorders and cancer.” (31)

Other studies confirm cannabimimetic agents have substantial effects on natural killer cells, which makes them valuable agents for reducing tumor growth and cell apoptosis.

Researchers claim that “cannabis demonstrates a subtle but significant role in the regulation of immunity and that this role can eventually be exploited in the management of human disease.” (32)

While there are literally hundreds of studies that clearly demonstrate the powerful anti-cancer properties of cannabis for preventing and even eradicating cancer without the often deadly side effects of conventional treatments, it is still an uphill battle to legitimize the herb.

Legalizing it is a good first step. In the interim, researchers continue to study cannabis’ potent healing abilities.

Scientific Studies from the National Institute of Health

If you’re still in doubt regarding the effectiveness of cannabis for healing cancer, have a look at these 100+ scientific studies from the National Institute of Health:

Tumor Cells

Uterine, Testicular, And Pancreatic Cancers

Brain Cancer

Mouth And Throat Cancer

Breast Cancer

Lung Cancer

Prostate Cancer

Blood Cancer

Skin Cancer

Liver Cancer

Cannabis And Cancer

Cancers Of The Head And Neck

Cholangiocarcinoma

Leukemia

Cannabis Partially/Fully Induced Cancer Death

Translocation-positive Rhabdomyosarcoma

Lymphoma

Cannabis Kills Cancer Cells

Melanoma

Thyroid Carcinoma

Colon Cancer

Intestinal Inflammation And Cancer

Cannabinoids In Health And Disease

Cannabis Inhibits Cancer Cell Invasion

Spoiler

Sometimes a spoiler goes a long way ?

I'm off today and woke up way too fucking early.  some beers last night and was just chilling. Now I feel like shit and tired but not able to fall asleep. Hate it when that happens :cisfor:

• Like 1

Live in Brixton, south London, at the centre of several gang boundaries.  Violence is intermittent and generational in the sense that it flares up and one generation is either murdered, imprisoned or they have the sense to cut ties and move elsewhere in the UK, but is then replaced by another generation.  It's all kicked off at moment.  A couple of weeks ago there was a drive by shooting at the end of my street involving a fully automatic weapon, which is pretty rare in the UK ( I have a post on here from some years ago of a kid on a pushbike riding round the streets near me firing a sawn off shotgun at people).

Anyway there was a fight last night between I think one of the Brixton gangs and the Stockwell gang.  I was walking down the street and found myself in the middle of the aftermath of the first stabbing, some of them literally ran into me, they were chasing them back into Stockwell.  Saw one lad get cornered and weapons were drawn.  Stabbed 15 times, he died later that night.  Didn't see the actual stabbing, as I was with someone and my primary concern was getting them out of there in case guns were drawn. 

Anyway, fwp, each gang also is linked to a particular sub-genre of rap/drill and my gang's allegiance seems to be 'road rap', which is not my favourite. 

Also flats on my street go for between £600k and £750k.  Houses start at £1m.   

• Sad 3

To add to the above, it looks like the Stockwell gang drove a car into the Brixton gang's territory with the intention of running people over, the car has then overturned and some of the occupants have been stabbed trying to get back to Stockwell.  I was wondering how they were going to top the drive by but that just about does it.  

8 minutes ago, kakapo said:

No.  For the most part teenagers from single parent families who have been caught in a cycle of revenge and violence.  

Yes, apes, as I said. Humans are intelligent apes often showing similar gang behaviour as other primates such as baboons.

14 minutes ago, dingformung said:

We are all primates. Apes, monkeys. It does not matter, understand?

Do you understand?

You don't know what you're missing if you haven't seen this:

Edited by Tim_J
  • Thanks 1

I could not find gochugaru (pepper flakes) at my local Asian grocery store today, even though I was able to find some there like three weeks ago. So I ended up ordering a pack via Amazon (even though Bezos is the richest man on the planet and I'm only further contributing to questionable treatment of Amazon warehouse employees)

5 hours ago, zero said:

what's the watmm approved method? dumpster diving out back of the store to see if you can find a discarded pack?

Only if it's autographed by RDJ

My over-the-ear KRK headphones that never leave my cabin are inexplicably missing.  I've searched every square inch of the area 5 times over, and I feel like I'm losing my mind.  Did I sleepwalk and toss them into a neighbour's yard, then somehow managed to get back into bed without waking myself up?  wtf :wtf:

• Sad 1

Been living all my life saying to myself that the future will be better just to end up realizing now at the present moment that the past was way better than right now... In the past only regrets, for the future no prospects... 

• Like 1