IGNORED

stupid first world problems you're dealing with

Guest KY

My landlords unexpectedly came over to "fix a leak" nearby the other day... with a trackhoe. Said the water would be off for a few hours. 

Two days before it was back on. In the meantime, they dug a massive fuck off hole around the pipe, flooded it, ran the neighbor's water bill up by a few grand, and after "fixing" their fix, they hit a power line with the tractor. 

This is a professional company. I've never seen anyone bungle a plumbing job this bad. Jesus fucking wept. 

:facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm:

Edited by luke viia
  • Facepalm 4

Could've sworn your name was luke villa not viia

Haha:)

The landlords continue to find and "fix" leaks underground. What I get out of this is apparently sand in the pipes. Have to remove the shower head, clean it out, replace the fill valve in the toilet, etc etc. THANKS OBAMA.

edit: always been viia. TBH, that was a drunk typo that i never fixed. I grew into it.

Edited by luke viia

Ordered coconut curry and got butter chicken instead.  It was still delicious, so barely a FWP... but as far as FWPs go it is pretty stupid, so it counts.

The greater FWP is I couldn't find the Dr. Autechre chocolate pizza in stock anywhere, so I missed out on the international group dessert pizza night.  I will still try it when/if I see it next.

• Sad 2

first of all i'm genuinely angry about this next FWP, and i almost caved in and started an original thread about it in gen ban last night.

so i have a new turntable and i'm fully into collecting records for the first time since 2012. i had a reasonably spicy collection back then, but nowadays you can go over to Bleep and get reissues of things like Geogaddi and Tri Repetae. it's an exciting time, not to mention a new Autechre LP being on its way.

now Actress (Darren Cunningham) is one of my top-tier favourite artists - ahead of Boards of Canada by now. i got into R.I.P back in 2012 and i've followed everything since then. last year i even bought a copy of the Silver Cloud 12", not to play it but to perform a ritual. his music is deeply important to me.

now don't get me wrong - i come to watmm every day, i check my emails, i get around. and i'd like to think that when one of my favourite ever musicians releases their new album, i'd find out about it. with Boards of Canada, it's as simple as nudging open my curtains and noticing the full-scale replica of the Wicker Man statue burning away on the horizon. "oh, that's nice. BoC are up to something."

not the case with Actress, who sets up a password-protected page in the obscure depths of Bandcamp and expects people to find it. this is 48 minutes of new music! only by pure chance do i discover that "88" has been released as a prequel to Karma and Desire, the "Long-awaited return by Actress" which suddenly everyone already knows about. i couldn't even work out how to get the fucking thing and had to reach out to people to get the chance to hear it.

just yesterday i noticed that Bleep were taking pre-orders for vinyl editions of Karma and Desire (again, pure chance). and sure enough i nearly bust the screen in an effort to reach the 400-limited Crystal Fuchsia edition, which i am told is exclusive to Bleep.

now here is where i seem to be going wrong - there are some serious, fundamental aspects of music retail which aren't making sense to me:

if a website is live, and taking pre-orders for something limited to 400 copies, aren't those copies going to sell out incredibly quickly? for reference, the limited edition version of 'Quaristice' by Autechre sold out in twelve hours. that means that if you weren't browsing the Warp website on a particular day in 2008 and you didn't get your phonecall from the Gescom hotline, you were missing out on those steels. that's why in 2014 the limited version of Syro by Aphex Twin was put in special measures - buyers could place a 'ticket' and 400 people were chosen at random to receive a copy.

i've already placed my order - i didn't do the research until afterwards. and it turns out that pre-orders for my Actress record have been going since September 1st (!!!!!) and not only that, but this "exclusive" is not the exclusive, exclusive.

to put it simply, different retailers are issuing different Limited Editions - Bleep have the Pink one, but there's also "White", "Crystal Clear", and standard Black. Ninja Tune are the winners with four separate box set editions. if you pay 90 quid you get one with a special face mask - you can't ask for a refund on that one.

so the copy i'm getting is not the Amazon Lightning deal i thought it was, nor is it even especially rare - if i was going to buy one just to flip for big cash without ever opening it, i'd go for the corona-infected one, right? and just wait a goddamned minute - these are all sealed in a "Silver Foil Metallic Bag" - how are people going to tell which is which? there are four different fucking editions and you can't tell someone you've got "Crystal Fuchsia" without opening the bag!! that's one thing they don't explain to you in the checkout process. why don't they just tag them all with a Banksy shredder and be done with it.

now i guess i have two clear choices - because it's only a pre-order, and i could in theory go through Bleep's agonizing refund process and buy the copy i really want from Ninja Tune - which i would open up, and listen to, and keep a bonus copy of '88' on cassette which i would LOVE. but what about the pink vinyl? because the worst thing for me would be to cancel my order and find out there's a big, obvious reason to keep it. remember Analord? all those people who got frustrated with their delayed orders, only to find that a load of Willy Wonka kids were handed a copy of Annalogue Bubblebath 5 for sticking it out to the end.

so what am i gonna do? and how the fuck could i be so divided over something which should by all rights be as simple as this:

>new Actress rekord

>i can afford rekord

>buy rekord YAY!

it's just not right. well here we are, you're witnessing the complete breakdown of one of the greatest passions in my life, and it could not be more of a first world problem. you know what? i'm giving this its own thread. this post here can be the "limited pink edition", or whatever. fuck millenials, fuck retailers, fuck press agents and all the promo people for fucking up their ONLY job and allowing me to miss out on new Actress. and mad props to Darren Cunningham for doing whatever he was doing for the last two years. we missed you dude x

Vinyls are black and they have music on them. Limited editions have the same music on them, but sometimes on inferior quality vinyl. Digital vinyls are invisible and cold to the touch, very sharp treble, an eerie green glow and tricky to play on your turntable. Wu-Tang is for the children.

Edited by Quiet penis
  • Like 1
  • Burger 2

13 hours ago, Dragon said:

“88" has been released as a prequel to Karma and Desire,

Lolwut? Even music albums get prequels now?

Didn’t know actress was run by a bunch of lazy Hollywood execs.

Lolwut? Even music albums get prequels now?
Didn’t know actress was run by a bunch of lazy Hollywood execs.

The memes will be great though.

Fwp: went to the convenience store down the street to get a kombucha which I was weirdly craving. Got to the checkout and figured I’d buy a lottery ticket too. Lottery machines are all down. How am I supposed to win $20 million if I can’t buy a ticket?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can no longer trust the postal service to get stuff to me.  I ordered a bong online and am starting to think that I'm never going to see it.  Meanwhile I'm inhaling hot, unfiltered smoke despite the fact that I'm not in Oregon.

Edited by drillkicker

19 minutes ago, drillkicker said:

I can no longer trust the postal service to get stuff to me.  I ordered a bong online and am starting to think that I'm never going to see it.  Meanwhile I'm inhaling hot, unfiltered smoke despite the fact that I'm not in Oregon.

May your smoke be cool and filtered soon!

• Like 1

There's been no mail delivery here cause of the smoke from the states. Postal workers don't want to inhale smoke, pussies. It might be back to normal by now I don't follow the news.

1 hour ago, yekker said:

There's been no mail delivery here

recently I got a handwritten letter in the mail, as in someone actually sat down and used a pen on paper and wrote a legit letter. turns out it was from a jehovah's witness lady who was rambling on about the real reason why covid actually appeared in the world, and directed me to a JW website to learn more. I'm like what's the point of writing a letter telling me to go to a website? why not just tell me the whole shebang right then and there? 

• Confused 1

Can't find Otto Von Schirach - Supermeng anywhere - not even his bandcamp... which is odd because he has several releases older than that on there.  I've oft fantastized about hearing that album since its release.

Edited by Zephyr_Nova

2 hours ago, zero said:

recently I got a handwritten letter in the mail, as in someone actually sat down and used a pen on paper and wrote a legit letter. turns out it was from a jehovah's witness lady who was rambling on about the real reason why covid actually appeared in the world, and directed me to a JW website to learn more. I'm like what's the point of writing a letter telling me to go to a website? why not just tell me the whole shebang right then and there? 

Trees

30 minutes ago, drillkicker said:

My bong arrived today

with a crack in it :catsob::catsob::catsob:

sorry to hear that.

can you still use it without water?

I was kicked out of a pipe/smoke/bong store for saying the word bong in Orlando 2008

She was like "What Did You Say?" "Uh...... bong?" "I'm gonna have ta ask ya to leave now" "Really?" "Really"      Ha:)

I wonder if you can say bong in the store now that medical cannabis is in florida

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, diatoms said:

sorry to hear that.

I was kicked out of a pipe/smoke/bong store for saying the word bong in Orlando 2008

She was like "What Did You Say?" "Uh...... bong?" "I'm gonna have ta ask ya to leave now" "Really?" "Really"      Ha:)

I wonder if you can say bong in the store now that medical cannabis is in florida

Oh man...that brings me back. Was the same way back in texas in the '90s. I can't remember ever getting kicked out of a shop for saying "bong", but it definitely was this weird hush hush thing that if you said it, they'd quickly correct you and say "you mean water pipe, right?" 

18 minutes ago, diatoms said:

sorry to hear that.

11 minutes ago, zero said:

Oh man...that brings me back. Was the same way back in texas in the '90s. I can't remember ever getting kicked out of a shop for saying "bong", but it definitely was this weird hush hush thing that if you said it, they'd quickly correct you and say "you mean water pipe, right?" 

Yep that's how it was in Lawrence, Kansas and Atlanta as well:)

And then when trying to find some Cannabis/Marijuana/Weed, they were such dirty words to some people (at work, friends) back then it's crazy. Glad it's changing:) Puff, Puff, Pass:)

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, diatoms said:

Yep that's how it was in Lawrence, Kansas

I went to Lawrence once...some club/bar called Jake's or abe's I think...maybe next to some river? Suppose I could google it. Saw DJ Krush play there back in like '03