IGNORED

stupid first world problems you're dealing with

Guest KY

Hungarian and Finnish are both Finno-Ugric but still only remotely related. The difference is about as large as between German and Russian. I talked to an Estonian who said she can understand a little bit of Finnish (I imagine in a similar way as we understand some Dutch) but not a single word of Hungarian.

Edited by dingformung

8 minutes ago, dingformung said:

Hungarian and Finnish are both Finno-Ugric but still only remotely related. The difference is about as large as between German and Russian. I talked to an Estonian who said she can understand a little bit of Finnish (I imagine in a similar way as we understand some Dutch) but not a single word of Hungarian.

Yeah, Estonian is quite close to Finnish. Not as close as say Swedish and Norwegian or Spanish and Portuguese are to each other, but I'd guess something like Italian and Spanish?

I can understand quite a bit of Estonian now that I've spent there several weeks in the past two years. Even managed to carry a conversation a bit with a store clerk until I finally hit the wall when he asked me about the price that was printed in the shelf and I couldn't understand what he was talking about.

Hungarian is so distant there's no chance of me understanding any of it. It's easier for me to understand Icelandic because I had to learn Swedish at school.

• Like 1

"is it COVID or cancer drug side effects?" - game is set to expert level today. so fucking annoying. on the plus side i have my yearly CT scan this thursday so i'll be able to interact with 3 people that day.. it'll be nice to have someone to say yes, no, hello, how are you, to. usually it's just the people at the grocery store or pharmacy i get to say that to so this will be a big social event.  also, i get to hear the woman who does the test tell me to lower my pants to my knees while i'm laying on the machine and it'll be the closest thing to foreplay i've experienced since my last CT scan a year ago. 

2 hours ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

SFWP: SFWP thread has been replaced by linguistics thread.

Stupid First World Victory: Derailing the FWP thread into discussion about linguistics of obscure languages.

Continuing with this.. I've been trying to learn Cantonese but what I can mostly do is just go around Hong Kong or Guangzhou and just say "mhgoi" in every situation which somehow weirdly works because it means "thank you", "excuse me" etc all at once?

10 hours ago, Squee said:

Haha, that reminds me of this... Mohammed woke up fucking mad and ready to rumble.

IMG_BBBF99D252D8-1.jpeg

No one mention anything about urinal cakes.

8 hours ago, dingformung said:

I used to be a strong advocate of an English spelling reform (lol) but these days I enjoy how English maintains a string to the past with its ancient spelling. A lot of words that have a weird spelling have German homologues cognates where the weird spelling still makes sense, which was something interesting for me to discover. E.g. light -> Licht; knight -> Knecht; though -> doch, etc.. If our English teachers had told us that at school English would have been a lot easier to learn.

You can also blame the French for a large portion of our language.

Fun fact: Before English was latinized you could put any word in a sentence absolutely anywhere and it would still make sense. Do it still can you (kind of).

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Braintree said:

Fun fact: Before English was latinized you could put any word in a sentence absolutely anywhere and it would still make sense. Do it still can you (kind of).

It's not so much the Latinisation that removed that possibility, though (especially since Latin is a language that has extreme flexibility of word order). It's the transition from being a fusional/inflected language to being an analytic/isolating language that happens naturally to all languages. There is something like a natural cycle of change of morphology languages typically go through. Agglutinative languages (such as Finnish) tend to become fusional/inflected over time, because all the agglutinated endings start to merge together into endings that combine different meanings. And over time the fusional/inflected languages start dropping endings and instead make use of more words or using word order as a grammatical marker, hence becoming analytic (such as Chinese). And at some point words melt together and what has been separate words becomes endings, so the language becomes more agglutinative again. Right now English is mostly analytic/isolating but within the process of becoming agglutinative, e.g. have not -> haven't;  I am -> I'm;  can not -> cannot -> can't, etc. All these shortenings that are no longer casual but part of the standard speech indicate that. It still has some fusional/inflected aspects, too: Remains of a case system, e.g. who, whose, whom.

Just saying.

Edited by dingformung

trash pickup for me is every wednesday. for the past 1.5 years since I've lived at this place they always come in the afternoon, generally after 3pm or so. because of this, I stopped putting the trash out at night because I realized I could just do it in the morning. today they decide to show up at 7am while I was lying in bed scrolling through nothing of importance on my phone. I burst into action, but it was too late. now I have a full garbage can that will only grow stinkier as it waits idly by for next wednesday.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, ignatius said:

my tax refund is less than half of what it was last year. my earnings are more or less the same. trump's tax plan fucked me. 

As if you don’t have enough to deal with already 

That sucks man sorry to hear it ?

• Like 1

Just now, Hugh Mughnus said:

As if you don’t have enough to deal with already 

That sucks man sorry to hear it ?

it's just annoying as fuck. generally my tax refund goes to paying my property taxes which is usually an even trade. this time not so much. All things considering i'm doing fine though. it's just more proof to no one in particular that trump and his plans are a scam. 

Crack open a coke.
Coke own a krakken.
Crack own copeing
Cop a crop croking.
Croke without crapping.
Crepe without cocking.
Neutrogena.
500 showers in 22 years.
Bathe in evian.
Can you blow me where the pampers is.
Think, i'm think.
Will you show me how i can pampers is?
Show me where the cramps are is?
Menstral cramps and pampers cash.
Stimulus the wretched priss.
Melissa juice and michaels piss.
Diabetes and juice as piss.
Michael owns gun and shiz.
Peace on earth and panels solar.
Solar panels masks and whiz.
Free techno P.A sys.
Outdoor concerts bandcamp BoC BoC BoC Mn
Gittin bissy. Someone who's not. Gittin bissy. 
Master the art of implants. Zis.
Pale black sexia

What is it u want

28 minutes ago, Alien Sugar said:

Crack open a coke.
Coke own a krakken.
Crack own copeing
Cop a crop croking.
Croke without crapping.
Crepe without cocking.
Neutrogena.
500 showers in 22 years.
Bathe in evian.
Can you blow me where the pampers is.
Think, i'm think.
Will you show me how i can pampers is?
Show me where the cramps are is?
Menstral cramps and pampers cash.
Stimulus the wretched priss.
Melissa juice and michaels piss.
Diabetes and juice as piss.
Michael owns gun and shiz.
Peace on earth and panels solar.
Solar panels masks and whiz.
Free techno P.A sys.
Outdoor concerts bandcamp BoC BoC BoC Mn
Gittin bissy. Someone who's not. Gittin bissy. 
Master the art of implants. Zis.
Pale black sexia

What is it u want

alien sugar 01.mp3

• Like 2