IGNORED

stupid first world problems you're dealing with

Guest KY

Just now, Berk said:

No coffee after 6 goddammit why do I keep doing it anyway

You can always do decaf, but it won't have as much flavor.

Just made some bok choy, spinach, & cucumber muchim (Korean seasoned veggies) right after lunch to save for later, but it can be a lot of work sometimes. Gonna sit on my ass for the next couple of hours to recharge before dinner prep.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, zero said:

you mean you're leaving the proletariat class to become one of "them?" how dare you! I know there's a certain someone here that won't be too happy about that...

but seriously, congrats dude. being unemployed is the worst, so stressful. and at least starting in a leadership role keeps the line fairly drawn. I had a job once where I went from worker bee to manager and hated it. went from being friends and shooting the shit with everyone, to having to then give them orders, keep everyone busy, and "coach" them. I never was able to handle the transition, wearing a different hat, so to speak, and ended up quitting. there were other factors as well in that decision, but still.

Lol I’ve always been one of them (since I got out of high school) ?. Thanks though! It went really well, everyone was super nice and I’m a lot less anxious now.

In terms of leadership style I’m more of a partner and team mate than “boss” per se (though there’s a time and place for being direct and giving orders etc, no one size fits all approach). It’s definitely not for everyone though. I think this ones going to work out for a while. ?

The postmodern boss poses as your friend and buddy, ultimately to increase his influence over you and to control you better. Eroding the border between private and professional life and obscuring class consciousness is a way of capitalist land grabbing. The logic of capitalist accumulation requires permanent expansion into new territories, the appropriation of new "resources", in this case the human soul itself. I prefer the old school authoritarian boss because no decoding is needed, it is clear where everyone stands and it avoids a fake buddy culture where everyone is fake friendly and tries to force and/or suppress emotions because they have become part of professional interaction and of a workplace ideology of toxic positivity. There should be a healthy distance within hierarchies as long as there are any.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, dingformung said:

ultimately to increase his influence over you and to control you better.

"his" influence? you're so racist! my boss is like 10 years younger than me, female, and knows FAR less than I do (heh). she has no idea how to deal with me lol.

5 hours ago, dingformung said:

The postmodern boss poses as your friend and buddy, ultimately to increase his influence over you and to control you better. Eroding the border between private and professional life and obscuring class consciousness is a way of capitalist land grabbing. The logic of capitalist accumulation requires permanent expansion into new territories, the appropriation of new "resources", in this case the human soul itself. I prefer the old school authoritarian boss because no decoding is needed, it is clear where everyone stands and it avoids a fake buddy culture where everyone is fake friendly and tries to force and/or suppress emotions because they have become part of professional interaction and of a workplace ideology of toxic positivity. There should be a healthy distance within hierarchies as long as there are any.

i'm reading this in a slovenian accent, punctuated by frequent sharp inhales

fwp: communists assuming i've adopted their ideology just because i've read 2,000+ pages of Karl Marx this year. if anything the opposite has happened

Edited by Cryptowen
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Braintree said:

I like the leadership style where we go and get wasted on his birthday and end up doing ecstasy at a roller rink.

Spoken like a true Schematic label mate!

• Like 1

Holy shit - no one's posted in the SFWP thread since Tues!

SFWP: on my last delivery, I drove up one of these annoyingly steep/curved/narrow driveways, saw who I presumed to be the one who ordered, then saw him get into a pickup truck rather than come greet me.  He clearly needed to get out of his annoyingly steep/curved/narrow driveway, so I awkwardly back out.  Extra awkwardly since he's driving down with me.  I back out at the end of the drive, leaving room where I expect him to turn (towards town, as opposed to the dead end), and then he makes a weird power move in the opposite direction, where there's barely any room for him to get past.  So I back into another driveway leaving room for another car, and for him to get by (since now he's turned around).  But instead of driving past he just sits there.  I'm getting a bit wigged out at this point, consider just driving away, but instead I drive past him and pull over.  He backs up to where I am, I roll down my window, and then he's all like "who the hell are you?"  So I explain to him that someone from his address ordered delivery and I'm trying to get it to them... which is all he needed to hear, thankfully.  In 2780 deliveries, that's the first time that particular scenario's played out, which is kind of surprising considering I live in an area full of rednecks. I'm glad guns aren't a thing here.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I kinda got upset with my landlord because he raised my rent even though there's a thing in bc where no rent is supposed to be raised till at least July next year. My sister and mother talked me out of complaining any further. My sister gets annual rent increases regardless of laws and she pays them because they are lucky they have the place they are at and don't want to rock the boat. I too am fortunate of the place I have and the landlord could easily get more money for my place than I pay. 

Edited by yekker

I have a theory that one of our neighbors is trying to catch up on the time he hasn't been around for his daughters so he comes home early and tries to play with them which always ends with the youngest one crying because he has zero patience. Their garden is right next to my studio so I can't help but hear them and it's driving me fucking nuts. Luckily, they're trying to sell their house so hopefully we'll get rid of them soon.

8 hours ago, yekker said:

I kinda got upset with my landlord because he raised my rent even though there's a thing in bc where no rent is supposed to be raised till at least July next year. My sister and mother talked me out of complaining any further. My sister gets annual rent increases regardless of laws and she pays them because they are lucky they have the place they are at and don't want to rock the boat. I too am fortunate of the place I have and the landlord could easily get more money for my place than I pay. 

"annual rent increases regardless of laws"? The only reason they get away with this stuff is because you let them. If the law is on your side, be nice about it, but don't just bend over. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

Holy shit - no one's posted in the SFWP thread since Tues!

SFWP: on my last delivery, I drove up one of these annoyingly steep/curved/narrow driveways, saw who I presumed to be the one who ordered, then saw him get into a pickup truck rather than come greet me.  He clearly needed to get out of his annoyingly steep/curved/narrow driveway, so I awkwardly back out.  Extra awkwardly since he's driving down with me.  I back out at the end of the drive, leaving room where I expect him to turn (towards town, as opposed to the dead end), and then he makes a weird power move in the opposite direction, where there's barely any room for him to get past.  So I back into another driveway leaving room for another car, and for him to get by (since now he's turned around).  But instead of driving past he just sits there.  I'm getting a bit wigged out at this point, consider just driving away, but instead I drive past him and pull over.  He backs up to where I am, I roll down my window, and then he's all like "who the hell are you?"  So I explain to him that someone from his address ordered delivery and I'm trying to get it to them... which is all he needed to hear, thankfully.  In 2780 deliveries, that's the first time that particular scenario's played out, which is kind of surprising considering I live in an area full of rednecks. I'm glad guns aren't a thing here.

Rednecks with no guns? Where’s that?

I bet you have some other fun delivery stories.

• Like 1

Well I mean, guns exist here, but people don't carry them around.  The gun culture's pretty quiet, so there's no concern in the back of my mind that the aggro pickup truck dude's going to have one on hand if I roll down my window to talk.  I'd probably feel differently if I were in some rural area of the US.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Extralife said:

Rednecks with no guns? Where’s that?

I bet you have some other fun delivery stories.

Rural Canada, as toaoaoad said.  There's just good old fashioned chest beating here without the shooting.

I don't have many fun delivery stories, sad to say.  It's mostly uneventful.  I can only recall one woman who was an outright bitch out of all those deliveries.  I used to get free food on occasion if a customer wasn't around to meet me, but contactless delivery put an end to that, save one blizzard when I was given the wrong address.  

9 hours ago, luke viia said:

"annual rent increases regardless of laws"? The only reason they get away with this stuff is because you let them. If the law is on your side, be nice about it, but don't just bend over. 

Rent prices are ridiculous around here and people are very often " renovicted " because landlords can make more money.

4 hours ago, drillkicker said:

There are no guns in Canada ?  What do they do about bear attacks ?

I heard they just wrestle them down with bare hands while being shirtless.

2 hours ago, toaoaoad said:

It's possible that our gun control laws are one of the only things that make us different from America at all. 

I guess it's mostly healthcare and education that makes Canada being ahead of the US, and generally a - be it rudimentary - existence of a welfare state. It's still worse than in most parts of Europe but at least not as medieval as the US system. Guns are idiotic and not having them around would save hundreds of lives but the US could be in a much better position than they are now even with guns, just by implementing social politics that have been standard for many years in other Western countries.

Edited by dingformung
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, dingformung said:

I guess it's mostly healthcare and education that makes Canada being ahead of the US, and generally a - be it rudimentary - existence of a welfare state. It's still worse than in most parts of Europe but at least not as medieval as the US system. Guns are idiotic and not having them around would save hundreds of lives but the US could be in a much better position than they are now even with guns, just by implementing social politics that have been standard for many years in other Western countries.

Actually, this is only true if you live in a city.  If you live in an area where survival is not guaranteed and there is not a crowd of people around you at all times, then guns are actually very useful and sometimes even necessary.

• Like 1