IGNORED

stupid first world problems you're dealing with

Guest KY

I feel that I sleep longer and better when I sleep on the back or belly instead of on my side. Like most people I sit a lot throughout the day, and lying on the back or belly compensates for the muscular-skeletal problems too much sitting can cause and the sleep gets longer and more restful.

26 minutes ago, toaoaoad said:

I take tiny shards of an antipsychotic medication that I used to be on, for sleep. Literally I break up the smallest dose pill into little pieces (I like to call it a "homeopathic dose" ??‍♂️). It was way too powerful at the prescribed dose - it would chill me out but I would fall asleep a few hours after taking it, uncontrollably, so obviously it wasn't a sustainable lifestyle. I kept the prescription and find these little fragments work just fine to get me to sleep, with none of the ill effects from being on a full dose (ie. constantly feeling lethargic).

With a lot of medications there's the caveat that they might not let you go into full deep sleep. Zopiclone is one that comes to mind. It will knock you out but you'll still feel under-rested and over time might get just as loony as you would if totally sleep deprived. Be wary and read up on these if you decide to go that route. 

There's also the age old wisdom that you sleep better if you tire yourself out physically during the day. Sounds like a lot of us spend our days mostly sitting. Some exercise/cardio goes a long way in helping a person feel properly tired at the end of the day. Again, doesn't always work for everyone tho and is probably just annoying to hear if that is the case ?

I was subscribed off label Quetiapine for a couple of years as a sleeping aid and it worked wonders. Eventually weened myself off it by taking it in increasing intervals, first nights without I found it pretty much impossible to fall asleep but it seems like one of the few effective sleeping aids that has few negative side effects/addiction potential. 

• Like 1

I just applied to a job through Indeed and the employer sent me an assessment to take that is wicked boring and doesn't pertain to the job itself. Guess I'll keep looking.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, toaoaoad said:

I should add that I don't think sleep issues are a stupid first world problem - they're a significant first world problem. Who knows how much better our society might function if we were all getting a decent sleep - but most of us aren't. It's the underlying cause of all sorts of health problems, physical and psychological.

computers, man, they've really fucked us. sitting all day, inactive, in front of a screen we're addicted to is not part of our nature. we're so separated from the diurnal part of our mammalian programming that it's no wonder our sleep is shit. taking medicine to compensate is a band aid, it's our lifestyles at fault for this.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

i wish every vid program would just have a "equal quality to source material" option. Who wants their final video to look way shittier than the version they saw while editing it? Why are there so many garbage quality options?  Or how about a feature that optimizes image quality for a max file size that the user sets.  Huh? How about that.  Fuk u.

5 hours ago, Braintree said:

I just applied to a job through Indeed and the employer sent me an assessment to take that is wicked boring and doesn't pertain to the job itself. Guess I'll keep looking.

Been there. I applied for a role I was overqualified for (and the pay wasn't great) quite a few months ago, and before even making initial contact or doing any screening they immediately wanted me to go through hours of pre-employment tests - a myers briggs, skills/abilities, and behavioral/emotional intelligence one. 

Before. Even. A. Phone. Screening. 

The job market, for seekers, is pretty ridiculous these days IMO. Lots of incredibly unrealistic expectations for candidates and a ton of interview content that isn't at all relevant. =/

Edited by Hugh Mughnus

10 hours ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

I've been in the habit of waking up after 4 hours, lying awake for a couple before crashing and waking up mid afternoon.  It's a pretty depressing cycle tbh, especially with the gloomy weather of late.

Anybody here get good sleeps?  Seems a rare thing among most people.

I fall asleep every single night listening to Autechre, sleep like a baby and wake up refreshed in the morning.

I'd like to join the sleep complaint club as well. This year I sleep particularly bad. Some nights I get trouble falling asleep, and for the most part I figured it out: during the day, preoccupied with work and general distraction, I don't process the truly important thoughts - the existential ones. After a couple of years, I still haven't found a solution to some fundamental problems of my existence, and subconsciously, during the wake hours, I suppress them one way or another. But they come back alive once the mind begins to quiet down, which is right when I lay in my bed. So I really have to be mindful about these things, and it's almost like self-therapy at this point. I dread these existential questions. They seem pointlessly antagonistic and tough to crack. So whenever I finally fall asleep, I ALWAYS wake up after four hours, usually because of some weird and heavy dreams. I don't remember the last time I had pleasant, soothing dreams.

Weed helps for a while, but I'm terrible with weed. When I have it, I smoke 4-6 joints per day and that becomes quite a drag after a couple of weeks. So I just don't buy it anymore. Chamomile and valeriana help sometimes, but aggressive thoughts can easily override the effects. On top of my own shit, my brain seem to love solving humanity problems, which is especially pointless, and nothing but a burden. This season I bought 10 cubic meters of firewood to chop it and chain-saw it myself. It's a sort of meditation, and helps a bit.

• Like 2

On 12/8/2020 at 9:51 AM, hello spiral said:

yup I too experienced this. Past the age of 36 is the cutoff it seems. Radio silence.

Also most of the women I ended up seeing for a bit via apps all had 36 or 37 as their age but I would find out they were all past 40 irl.

Urgh! Why didn't I think of this? Thanks Spi, I'm going to lie in my profile from now on. About everything.

Just now, zero said:

you guys with dating app profiles should post them here for us to review and critique, let you know where you've gone horribly wrong...

Who needs dating apps when we have dank memes

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

Been there. I applied for a role I was overqualified for (and the pay wasn't great) quite a few months ago, and before even making initial contact or doing any screening they immediately wanted me to go through hours of pre-employment tests - a myers briggs, skills/abilities, and behavioral/emotional intelligence one. 

Before. Even. A. Phone. Screening. 

The job market, for seekers, is pretty ridiculous these days IMO. Lots of incredibly unrealistic expectations for candidates and a ton of interview content that isn't at all relevant. =/

This one wasn't that bad, but it's kind of ridiculous for them to ask me to answer bullshit hypotheticals (literally made up shit) so they can determine if I'm right for the job without looking at my resume or talking to me. It was just pattern recognition stuff, and at this point, if I'm not getting paid for it, I'm not doing it.

5 hours ago, cichlisuite said:

I'd like to join the sleep complaint club as well. This year I sleep particularly bad. Some nights I get trouble falling asleep, and for the most part I figured it out: during the day, preoccupied with work and general distraction, I don't process the truly important thoughts - the existential ones. After a couple of years, I still haven't found a solution to some fundamental problems of my existence, and subconsciously, during the wake hours, I suppress them one way or another. But they come back alive once the mind begins to quiet down, which is right when I lay in my bed. So I really have to be mindful about these things, and it's almost like self-therapy at this point. I dread these existential questions. They seem pointlessly antagonistic and tough to crack. So whenever I finally fall asleep, I ALWAYS wake up after four hours, usually because of some weird and heavy dreams. I don't remember the last time I had pleasant, soothing dreams.

Weed helps for a while, but I'm terrible with weed. When I have it, I smoke 4-6 joints per day and that becomes quite a drag after a couple of weeks. So I just don't buy it anymore. Chamomile and valeriana help sometimes, but aggressive thoughts can easily override the effects. On top of my own shit, my brain seem to love solving humanity problems, which is especially pointless, and nothing but a burden. This season I bought 10 cubic meters of firewood to chop it and chain-saw it myself. It's a sort of meditation, and helps a bit.

I can highly recommend trying guided meditation, especially for existential problems. Have been struggling with those for about as long as I can remember and even though I’m still a functional alcy and drug user meditating has made a huge difference. Won’t make it go away but will help you deal with it. 
Might be extra good in tandem with the chain-saw meditation you’re already practicing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Braintree said:

This one wasn't that bad, but it's kind of ridiculous for them to ask me to answer bullshit hypotheticals (literally made up shit) so they can determine if I'm right for the job without looking at my resume or talking to me. It was just pattern recognition stuff, and at this point, if I'm not getting paid for it, I'm not doing it.

Agreed! The skills/abilities one I did was like that - like a series of numbers (finding the odd sequence out), arranging dates and tables in order etc? I thought it was silly but I did them anyways and didn’t get a call back ?

2 hours ago, user said:

I can highly recommend trying guided meditation, especially for existential problems. Have been struggling with those for about as long as I can remember and even though I’m still a functional alcy and drug user meditating has made a huge difference. Won’t make it go away but will help you deal with it. 
Might be extra good in tandem with the chain-saw meditation you’re already practicing. 

Are there any particular people that you can recommend? Good teachers? I listened to that Vietnamese Buddhist monk who is now in France (forgot name, well known guy, Thai something something) for a while, but he is a bit too ASMR for me, also drifts off into religious cheese way too much, but wise guy. Osho is usually interesting (always with a grain of salt, tho).  Any more wise meditation experts you can recommend? A lot of self-acclaimed ones are Jordan Peterson type self-help fucktards, wanna avoid these

trying to post a video clip on instagram, but for some reason the sound isn't appearing, despite it playing back fine on my phone and everywhere else otherwise.  Anytime I try to participate on this site there's some BS like this to troubleshoot for a couple hours.  SMH (so much hate).

37 minutes ago, yekker said:

I have a good app on my phone that does meditation relaxation stuff called headspace.. I listen to it every night before bed and it just helps me unwind. 

Do the speakers that are featured on that app offer actual insight or is it more about the tone of their voice and how it puts you to sleep?

18 minutes ago, dingformung said:

Do the speakers that are featured on that app offer actual insight or is it more about the tone of their voice and how it puts you to sleep?

There are TONS of different types of meditations. I always do the sleepcasts which starts with a relaxation exercise and then tells you a story I just prefer that over straight up meditation. I'd say its worth the money though. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, dingformung said:

Are there any particular people that you can recommend? Good teachers? I listened to that Vietnamese Buddhist monk who is now in France (forgot name, well known guy, Thai something something) for a while, but he is a bit too ASMR for me, also drifts off into religious cheese way too much, but wise guy. Osho is usually interesting (always with a grain of salt, tho).  Any more wise meditation experts you can recommend? A lot of self-acclaimed ones are Jordan Peterson type self-help fucktards, wanna avoid these

Not sure I can be of much help, I read 1,5 Pema Chodron books (which I liked, her tone/way of writing appeals to me) and have a headspace sub for the guided meditation. 
Gurus and such generally get in the way of the message for me because I tend to find them annoying. 

• Like 1

I forgot just how long Daft Punk's debut album was.  It's great, but I thought I must be nearing the end only to find I'm a little over halfway through.  I recall there were a lot of really long albums being released mid-late 90's... like twice the length that most artists aim for now, Autechre notwithstanding.

Edited by Zephyr_Nova
  • Like 1

I just woke up 5 mins ago. It’s my first payday today for the new gig? I just got locked out of my online banking (wanted to see what a weeks pay ended up being) by trying to login 3x using my watmm credentials. Apparently Hugh Mughnus isn’t a valid client card number ?

?‍♂️

Edited by Hugh Mughnus