IGNORED

google+

kokoon

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not a fan of the circles feature. i will be in 'psychopath' circle for everyone. i don't like the idea of an explicit 'besties' vs 'tools' option. it is not very eappealing to me to bring the social irritation onto the web. i will not join this for a while but i will feel compelled to out of fear of further isolation from current trends.

Guest ryanmcallister

only thing i like about it is the ability to have youtube parties where everyone watches the same thing.

Guest hahathhat

not a fan of the circles feature. i will be in 'psychopath' circle for everyone.

one thing that really pisses me off about google+ is they gather information about you even if you don't sign up. if everyone DID put you in the 'psychopath' circle, google's infobase would then regard you as a psychopath and your residence will be flooded with pamphlets for lithium and thorazine.

not a fan of the circles feature. i will be in 'psychopath' circle for everyone.

one thing that really pisses me off about google+ is they gather information about you even if you don't sign up. if everyone DID put you in the 'psychopath' circle, google's infobase would then regard you as a psychopath and your residence will be flooded with pamphlets for lithium and thorazine.

i think you should probably get off the internet.

see, if this is fact, i can't get behind any of this - at all. in fact i find that quite discomforting. if Zappa says 'turn off your TV' then why would he not say with ten times the emphasis 'turn off your computer?'

it's not really paranoia, more just - come on! social media isn't rewarding. i have never felt rewarded by facebook or myspace in any way. the only feeling i get is a feeling of 'lack.' it does not connect me, it does not move me.

i've talked about it with friends and they say i'm overthinking it, that they have no problem with it - it is only me who is having these thoughts and worries.

it's true, but my thoughts are valid. it shouldn't be a "thing." i don't know what i'm trying to say. it's like you can't win with, can't win without. the solution is to feel confident in whatever choice you make and to stick with it. but i flip flop. i think it might be a cop out to say i'm taking it too seriously - at this point it's hard to deny that the internet is as real a part of our lives as the hamburgers we eat and the so on and so forth

sorry for my high tension freakouts here. it's an odd topic

sorry if this has already been mentioned, (did not read thread) but does anybody else find it as hilarious as i do that Google is trying to (quite successfully) make people feel 'elite' and 'privileged' for letting them data mine you?

the whole notion of invites and exclusivity is such a ploy to make people feel like they arent being raped by a Facebook part 2 (effectively probably a lot bigger of a data miner than Fbook will ever be)

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

sorry if this has already been mentioned, (did not read thread) but does anybody else find it as hilarious as i do that Google is trying to (quite successfully) make people feel 'elite' and 'privileged' for letting them data mine you?

the whole notion of invites and exclusivity is such a ploy to make people feel like they arent being raped by a Facebook part 2 (effectively probably a lot bigger of a data miner than Fbook will ever be)

I think people accept that whatever date they enter is going to be used by the company to sell adspace or whetever.

And i don't really think people buy the elite invite thing. people are smarter than that.

its not exclusive if gary c from watmm sends you an invite is it...

i mean g+ is no harvard

Marketing people will put a price tag on anything they can. Mass collected social information about all your interests and passions is like a huge raging sweat pants for them. Google lives off of ad's. How do you think they figure out what to spam you with?

Google have already had an issue recently because of oversaturation on Google+ (notification system going bonkers because of running out of disk space)

the invites are not a ploy just to gain momentum. having servers set up for running search queries is one thing. having servers set up for a social network is completely different.

a lot of people are also missing the fact that when a new person signs up for Google+, not only do Google have to set them up with allocation on the social network servers, but they also have to set them up with the following:

Gmail

Google Picasa Web Photos (soon to be renamed Google Photos)

either way, as i have already said - Google have already run across a problem to do with massive influx of userbase, and that is with an invite system... to a beta product that is obviously not ready for prime time just yet.

gmail still has invites, had them from day one. before they were mining.

and invites aren't even needed to join.

i'd say it's rather obvious the exclusivity thing. people are automatically going to want to use it more, it's pretty straightfoward.

weird thing about the internet is that even if people KNOW how much they're being dataraped/manipulated - they just don't care. it's the norm.

i can't be a fly on the wall in google's boardroom, but honestly Gordo & oscillik , you can actually tell me with a straight face that the perception of exclusivity is not a part of the marketing behind this? I'm not a social networking pro enough to know if invites are required or not, but to me from the outside and i think to most people who are just hearing about Google + it's meant to seem exclusive (just like gmail was in it's inception)

i'd say it's rather obvious the exclusivity thing. people are automatically going to want to use it more, it's pretty straightfoward.

weird thing about the internet is that even if people KNOW how much they're being dataraped/manipulated - they just don't care. it's the norm.

what's odd to me is how telling the polarization of the debate is, much like abortion or nuclear power. People feel so powerless in the face of internet privacy eroisions that they either become apathetic

and not care, as you say or they openly scoff at and ostracize people who do care as 'tin foil hatters' or 'paranoids'. Then you have even a position beyond apathy which is more of a surrender (much like UK citizens have about CCTV cameras) where as soon as you 'enter' into the internet, you've already given up whatever privacy you imagined you had 'you are naive to expect any privacy if you use the internet'. i think the 3rd position is becoming increasingly more common

Archived