IGNORED

The Who Sell Out

Caretstik

I've been aware of The Who and this album literally as far back as I can remember, but I actually only bothered to listen to it this week on some whim (never been keen on The Who, I always thought that smashing-up-gear-on-stage palaver was a bit over the top). It's ace, one of the most fun albums I've ever heard, with some ingenious lyrics and performances. The intermittent radio jingles add a whole lot more to it. They might have done better albums, and I'm going to start checking them out from now on, but any lovers of Sell Out here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfpIYXOGgLM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiUUoEzHRqg

(Didn't Luke Vibert or someone also sample the jingle at the beginning?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7As8L-0bwsM

It even has some IDM song-titles (Odorono, Medac, Rael).

Guest never the machine forever

I'm a big proponent of album-oriented music, and this delivers. The radio jingles are amazing, although I'm surprised it has this big an effect. If I could replicate the textures of some of the jingles, I would, but they're so tightly woven they're enigmatic to me. Simply the "Radio London reminds you to go to the church of your choice" is great, I'd love to replicate the vocal qualities.

Anyway, this album is a turning point in their career, it moved them from their R&B roots (which I was never a fan of, to be honest), adding modern details that make it a lasting record. It's the first appearance of The Who's trademark polish and electronic experimentation (although Armenia City in the Sky is a delicious step in another direction) that would set the precedent for the rest of the Moon era. It seemed to be a period of amazing creativity for them, it's seeping out at every opportunity here, from the aforementioned jingles to every song being different, yet still maintaining coherency. Even the iconic Tommy riff is present in one of the Rael's, I find it amusing.

It'll turn you into a beast of a man.

Get out.

This album is one of those that has lurked on my 'to get one day' list for a long time. Like 15 years.

It's supposed to be a classic, I know that much.

The Who have always been a bit hit and miss for me, so I am a bit dubious of studio albums.

Get out.

I was just trying to sell it to the kids, by whatever means necessary. And I agree with your post, although never having been a fan of theirs I have been exposed to them quite a bit over the years without getting excited (until this week). This album does sound like a quantum leap from what they did before, and to me it sounds like it might've been recorded later than 1967. I can't imagine how this album must've sounded back then. The jingles I think are ingenious in uniting the whole lot together, and I think Townsend especially makes great music out of what might have ended up as throwaway novelty tunes if they were created by a lesser talent than him.

It's also exciting now about backtracking and picking up their back catalogue. I'm wary of the two previous albums so I think I'll start off going forwards from Sell Out and then go back.

The Who have always been a bit hit and miss for me, so I am a bit dubious of studio albums.

Same here, but I couldn't have been more wrong.

Guest Coalbucket PI

I never expected to like this as much as I do, and I rant about how amazing it is to people who just seem really apprehensive about giving it a chance. I'm not sure what it is but they struck me as Radio 2 dad rock and I wrote them off as being in the same category as Status Quo or something.

Actually haven't listened to The Who Sell Out for a long time but I'll have to now. I really like the 'whole album' album style and yes the jingles are just excellent.

Guest Greg Reason

Fucking fantastic album. Got obsessed when I heard Armenia City in the Sky many many years ago

The real surprise for me in recent years was seeing the film version of Tommy and being absolutely blown away by it. Could have had something to do with the acid but what an overwhelming beast of a movie

'i can see for miles' ..one of their best. good album, original photogs n stuff

I think the cover gives you a good idea of what to expect from the album in hindsight. It tipped me over the edge, I think it sums up the humour in the album well (which is pretty obvious I suppose, seeing as the photos are all referenced directly in the album). And yeah, 'I Can See For Miles' has massive cojones.

Archived