IGNORED

Amy Winehouse dead.

Guest Mirezzi

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Mirezzi

Rupert Murdoch says he has been deeply touched by the heartfelt condolences left on Amy Winehouse's parents cell phone...

Guest abusivegeorge

People talk like she only started being addicted to stuff in the last few years. As I recall she was visibly pissed or otherwise out of it to some extent on TV performances since I first ever heard of her in about 2004, I remember it being treated jovially on Jools Holland or something like that. I'm not really sure if thats wrong or what... Russell Brand wrote about the media needing to change the way they deal with addiction but then he also said there is nothing people could do to intervene.

As I said earlier in the thread, I am not going to go into any more detail than I already have. But this is 100% correct right here.

Guest the anonymous forumite

Amy W: the final interview

She also opened up the possibility of studying music. “I would love to study guitar or trumpet. I can play a lot of different instruments adequately but nothing really well. If you play an instrument, it makes you a better singer. The more you play, the better you sing, the more you sing, the better you play.”

This was all in the future. She may have had a hedonistic and self-destructive streak, and she was an addict battling deep problems, but at 27, I think Amy really believed in her own future. She told Bennett that, after the session, she wanted to go home and put on one of his records. “I’d rather hear you sing than listen to my own voice.”

She was relaxed and laughing by the end, a warm, loud, dirty laugh, full of pleasure. “I’m so happy to be here,” she told Bennett. “It's a story to tell my grandchildren, to tell their grandchildren, to make sure they tell their grandchildren.”

“Tell your daddy I said hello,” smiled Bennett.

“He will cry,” said Amy. “He will cry.”

it's rumoured she was on pills that night (probably amongst other things). apparently there's lots of strong e going about just now.

and wasn't that russell brand thing (good point aside) typically self indulgent and a little insensitive? i thought so.

I'm kinda with you (even though I posted it). I think it was a tad impersonal.

Also, I agree with the final points he tries to make, but only to an extent.

I'm sorry, but I'll never be able to see a junkie in the same light as say a cancer patient. He is completely ignoring the fact that there is an element of choice involved.

Side note: every junkie I've ever known was completely full of themself.

well, not really.. he said addicts have the choice of going to rehab etc.

sort of related.. i know a cancer patient who isn't getting much sympathy from anyone because he's continued to smoke and drink.

Guest theSun

it's rumoured she was on pills that night (probably amongst other things). apparently there's lots of strong e going about just now.

and wasn't that russell brand thing (good point aside) typically self indulgent and a little insensitive? i thought so.

I'm sorry, but I'll never be able to see a junkie in the same light as say a cancer patient. He is completely ignoring the fact that there is an element of choice involved.

Side note: every junkie I've ever known was completely full of themself.

well, not really.. he said addicts have the choice of going to rehab etc.

sort of related.. i know a cancer patient who isn't getting much sympathy from anyone because he's continued to smoke and drink.

wow what an asshole!

Guest abusivegeorge

And that my friend I am afraid to say is where you are wrong. The majority of drug addicts and alcoholics, don't even know they are. Alcohlism and drug addiction are a mental illness which work on exactly the same level. It is an illness that tells you, you don't have it. All control of the mind, all the will power you have is stripped of you. You see I am an alcoholic, but alcohol is not my problem. If alcohol was my problem, I'd be able to stop drinking. What happens when an alcoholic stops drinking is we get worse. I don't even remember the point at which I went from a social drinker to an alcoholic and the truth is I don't think I ever did, I think I've always drank alcoholically for as long as I remember. Unfortunately, due to the nature of my illness, I didn't realise I was an alcoholic until near death, when someone told me I might be. At which point I realised I had turned to alcohol as a solution. There was never a choice in whether I drank or not, that thought didn't even cross my mind. Now that I have recovery of the illness, and now that I've had a psychological change and I truly understand the nature of my illness, now I have the correct solution, NOW I have the power of choice, because I have become seperated from the illness.

To say an alcoholic, addict has choice to use or not is like saying a down syndrome kid as a choice whether or not he has down syndrome. I appreciate however that this would be extremely hard to understand for anyone who has no experience of the illness.

But as I say, once having gained some recovery around the illness, then we have a choice.

I'm drinking wine .. in my house .. as we speak. I think she would have appreciated that and maybe written a song about it had she known I was doing it.

Guest Coalbucket PI

[

To say an alcoholic, addict has choice to use or not is like saying a down syndrome kid as a choice whether or not he has down syndrome.

I think if anyone has ever tried to tell an addict they have a drug problem and they should stop doing it they would understand that it while you anticipate a normal conversation taking place when you broach the subject, you will quickly feel like it's comparable to asking a down syndrome person to snap out of it.

What I meant by "choice" was that you don't choose cancer.

You may not be able to choose to overcome an addiction, but you certainly have 100% choice when you first decide to try heroin or any other addictive, illegal substance.

she was a brilliant singer & was able to express herself through music. shame she was such a depressing person. she had the blues 24/7

Guest abusivegeorge

You may not be able to choose to overcome an addiction, but you certainly have 100% choice when you first decide to try heroin or any other addictive, illegal substance.

Absolutely, but you do not have a choice whether or not you have the illness. Some people can take heroin and sniff coke/crack and not be afflicted with the illness of addiction.

Guest abusivegeorge

[

To say an alcoholic, addict has choice to use or not is like saying a down syndrome kid as a choice whether or not he has down syndrome.

I think if anyone has ever tried to tell an addict they have a drug problem and they should stop doing it they would understand that it while you anticipate a normal conversation taking place when you broach the subject, you will quickly feel like it's comparable to asking a down syndrome person to snap out of it.

+1 unless they have come to some sort of their own realisation already. After all I didn't get sober until somebody told me I might have a drink problem. I was stubborn at first, but then the fact that my liver was destroyed and I knew I couldn't stop drinking and was ruining my lives and others, then I was ready to begin listening.

Absolutely, but you do not have a choice whether or not you have the illness. Some people can take heroin and sniff coke/crack and not be afflicted with the illness of addiction.

Dude, I'm sorry, but you're still missing my point completely. If you mess with coke/crack and/or heroin in the first place, you know the game you are playing.

It's no secret that those are drugs that have the potential to lead to many big problems.

I've had MANY chances to try those drugs and have passed on them, based on what I feared would happen had I tried them (ie: they teach you it in school and talk about it in the news just about every day) and by what observed of the condition of those offering. I'm pretty sure, had I chosen otherwise, I'd be in for trouble. I just had to look as far as my friends to see what it can do to you. If you really think that trying heroin is going to be a normal, harmless thing, you're living under a rock.

Dude, I'm sorry, but you're still missing my point completely. If you mess with coke/crack and/or heroin in the first place, you know the game you are playing.

It's no secret that those are drugs that have the potential to lead to many big problems.

I've had MANY chances to try those drugs and have passed on them, based on what I feared would happen had I tried them (ie: they teach you it in school and talk about it in the news just about every day) and by what observed of the condition of those offering. I'm pretty sure, had I chosen otherwise, I'd be in for trouble. I just had to look as far as my friends to see what it can do to you. If you really think that trying heroin is going to be a normal, harmless thing, you're living under a rock.

I've done all those drugs and more and I'm not an addict. I just play one on TV :sup:

but serious, I have done all those drugs, but now I pretty much just smoke some pot and drink some beers. I'll trip out maybe a couple times a year at most too I guess... Just because you have done crack/coke/meth/heroin/whatever drug doesn't mean you'll be addicted. They ARE highly addictive substances yes, but that doesn't justify the whole "ONE HIT WILL HAVE YOU HOOKED FOR LIFE" stigma that surrounds them....

Archived