IGNORED

The Shining

Guest hahathhat

Guest hahathhat

I feel there should be a proper thread for this. I'm in the middle of watching it, and I'll post about it tomorrow. For the moment, I leave you this photoshopped screencap i have made at the exact moment it's paused at now

stupidbitch.png

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Coalbucket PI

I imagine by your moaning in the other thread you've got an almighty moan review lined up

Guest Gary C

Easily my favourite film of all time.

The aesthetic (symmetry and American-Indian design), acting (Jack Nicholson is lovably horrific), the music, the "scary" bits and the dubious ending. Just stunning.

Yes, Duvall is annoying, but if you watch the behind-the-scenes featurette it's clear that both Nicholson and Kubrick put her through a lot of shit so her complete exhaustion and fear is actually real in the end.

Guest disparaissant

i've defended duvall before on here. she plays the role of the nerve shredded wife perfectly.

i totally agree, the scene where he's chopping through the door and she's just wigging out is just so... man. her fear is utterly palpable.

I've always loved the scene with Danny riding his big wheels. the sound design is killer the way it goes from carpet to hard floor to carpet, etc. easily one of my fav movies of all time as well. funny how Stephen king hated this version so much.

Guest Mirezzi

in before overlook

lol.

:wub:

There clearly needs to be a thread like this at least once a year. Maybe once a month.

One of my favorites, that seems to be reinforced by the youtube videos about how it's a metaphor for how Kubrick faked the moon landings and the one about the impossibility of the Overlook itself spacially. So much wonderful eeriness.

Guest Mirezzi

dunno, that grip is ok for horsecock. Lord knows Shelley Duvall has the mouth for it.

FLOL

I think we can all agree with Stephen King though...the 1997 made-for-TV remake was superior to Kubrick's.

tumblr_lg8fh5VpfX1qb7328o1_r1_500.gif

dunno, that grip is ok for horsecock. Lord knows Shelley Duvall has the mouth for it.

FLOL

I think we can all agree with Stephen King though...the 1997 made-for-TV remake was superior to Kubrick's.

lol

The TV remake is amazing, those cgi hedge monsters fucking own.

Guest Mirezzi

The TV remake is amazing, those cgi hedge monsters fucking own.

Yeah, not sure which was better, the CGI topiary garden or Van Peebles *wink wink* minstrelsy.

WHAT

There was a tv remake???!!

Where can I see this?

Love this film. Saw it when I was about 10 and it completely shit me up for ages :wacko: I honestly thought Jack Nicholson was the devil.

Still love it now - my girlfriend gets scared easily and she cannot sit through this film without having to leave.

The soundtrack throughout is incredible.

My fav "horror" film. I'm just glad they didn't resort to any "loud-bang startled" thrills and it was all cerebral and discomforting. Wendy Carlos was in full effect back in the day.

The remake* is terrible, but at least the guy from Wings got some work out of it. Go, guy from Wings!

*It's not really a remake, it's a fairly straight adaptation of the novel, with all of the fantastic acting and production values that you expect from a 1990s Stephen King television miniseries adaptation. IT MIGHT EVEN BE BETTER THAN TOMMYKNOCKERS GUYS

Archived