IGNORED

The Shining

Guest hahathhat

Guest disparaissant

harold and maude for the billionth time 10/10 i can't stress how much i love this film.

HEsKb.gif

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Deep Fried Everything

lmao wrong thread

look at me bneing sleep deprived and drunk on the internet

lol i was just about to say..

Guest Mirezzi

Yeah, Harold & Maude is another classic (Ashby's best)...and hey, at least it's from the same era so you weren't completely off course posting that here!

Guest disparaissant

i think i thought i was in the films you recently watched thread

by way of apology here is a creepy gif

tumblr_l9g57ny9Xd1qbz1b3o1_400.gif

Guest hahathhat

so it was only the second time i watched this. this movie is quite good. lots of interesting camera work. there is a definite maze theme going on. good story, good acting. sound and music is excellent.

i found the black guy's ending to be rather abrupt and unsatisfying. i suppose he had to die, but there should have been a bit more of a scuffle first. but no... he walks in the front door, and WHOP goes the axe. well, shit, jim.

regarding the illogical hotel layout issue -- i suspect kubrick would visualize the shots he wanted in his head, then have the sets designed accordingly. the set designers sought to minimize their work. some of those hallways are enough to give you a panic attack -- that claustrophobic wallpaper!!

so it was only the second time i watched this. this movie is quite good. lots of interesting camera work. there is a definite maze theme going on. good story, good acting. sound and music is excellent.

i found the black guy's ending to be rather abrupt and unsatisfying. i suppose he had to die, but there should have been a bit more of a scuffle first. but no... he walks in the front door, and WHOP goes the axe. well, shit, jim.

regarding the illogical hotel layout issue -- i suspect kubrick would visualize the shots he wanted in his head, then have the sets designed accordingly. the set designers sought to minimize their work. some of those hallways are enough to give you a panic attack -- that claustrophobic wallpaper!!

I think Scatman's death might have been Kubrick deliberately poking Stephen King in the eye/playing against audience expectations (or at least the expectations of those who'd read the novel)

Guest hahathhat

I think Scatman's death might have been Kubrick deliberately poking Stephen King in the eye/playing against audience expectations (or at least the expectations of those who'd read the novel)

well that'd be quite silly!! i know nothing about kubrick vs. king. are you implying that the book was widely read and he was seeking to surprise people, or that he was merely seeking to piss king off?

i can't find a decent english version, so what the hell.

amüsier dich...

yes, i saw this episode many halloweens as a lad. but i only got around to watching the shining in 2009 or so :emotawesomepm9:

Guest Coalbucket PI

Just to comment on the OP screenshot, she does actually manage to knock him out with that grip

well that'd be quite silly!! i know nothing about kubrick vs. king. are you implying that the book was widely read and he was seeking to surprise people, or that he was merely seeking to piss king off?

It was a pretty huge best seller, and Hallorann basically saved everyone in the novel. I don't really think he set out to piss King off, but Kubrick obviously likes subverting expectations and making adaptations his own.

So anyway, an audience at that time goes in, having read the book, expecting things to turn out one way, and Kubrick winningly and almost comically takes that avenue of escape away, and the audience is going "Oh shit, now what?"

Archived